Search Within Notebook

Harry Pehkonen

Just to make sure I understand correctly, in Evernote 5, if I want to search within a particular notebook, I have to click in the "Search all notes" search-box and type in, for example:

notebook:Javascript indexOf

There is no other way?  In Evernote 4, you could choose whether you wanted to search within the chosen notebook, or all notes when you entered your search term.

I use View -> Show Search Explanation to see what's going on.

Thanks!

Harry.

• Level 5*

I am still not up to date on the current search nuances. I believe that if you click on the magnifying glass icon in the search control, and select "Current Context", your notebook/stack choices will remain active, and you can then enter other search terms, including literal text. At least that works for me.

I know that you can also select a notebook, and then Ctrl+Click in the tag tree to add tags to your search

• 2 months later...

I still see no way to get the very powerful and easy to use search by notebook back in 5.0. Surprised that such a powerful feature would be taken away.

It has not been removed, as Jeff pointed out above, and is very easy to use.

I am still not up to date on the current search nuances. I believe that if you click on the magnifying glass icon in the search control, and select "Current Context", your notebook/stack choices will remain active, and you can then enter other search terms, including literal text. At least that works for me.

I know that you can also select a notebook, and then Ctrl+Click in the tag tree to add tags to your search

post-48228-0-01911200-1388759217_thumb.j

• Level 5*

I still see no way to get the very powerful and easy to use search by notebook back in 5.0. Surprised that such a powerful feature would be taken away. 

What's not working for you? The answer given above is specifically for WIndows v5, and it works fine for me.

Thanks for the question, and for the answer. It's nice that there is an answer, however the method is a little non-obvious and very frustrating actually! More likely to know which notebook you want. 

Also, why context? Can you search sub searches? Don't see how immediately...

• 2 months later...

There doesn't seem to be a way to do this for notebook groups.

I have a bunch of notebook groups for different topic areas, one called "Web Dev" that keeps all my web development and programming notes in there.

If I click on "view all notes in Web Dev" from the Notebooks tab (very inconvenient that double clicking on it doesn't view all content in that notebook group and I have to go find the "view all notes in group" at the end of the notebook list which is often off screen for me.) then do a search, there is no way to narrow the search selection down to this set of notebooks that I see.

If I am in an actual notebook then I do see the Search:  Everything   <notebookname>   when clicking on the search magnifying glass icon.

But if I'm in a notebook group, there is no Search:  Everything <notebookgroup>  anymore.

How do I search within a notebook group?  This used to be possible before the latest Evernote.

(Can I go back to a previous version of Evernote if this isn't available?  On my PC, I still use Evernote 4 with my work account, and won't be upgrading that until I absolutely have to!  I miss Evernote 4 SO MUCH!  I've been using v5 on my mac for a long time and using them side by side, Evernote 4 is way easier to use for me on a day to day basis.  I so much miss having the notebook heirarchical view on the side!  Everything is so much easier to get to / see in EV4.)

Thanks

I have a bunch of notebook groups for different topic areas, one called "Web Dev" that keeps all my web development and programming notes in there.

If I click on "view all notes in Web Dev" from the Notebooks tab (very inconvenient that double clicking on it doesn't view all content in that notebook group and I have to go find the "view all notes in group" at the end of the notebook list which is often off screen for me.) then do a search, there is no way to narrow the search selection down to this set of notebooks that I see.

If I am in an actual notebook then I do see the Search:  Everything   <notebookname>   when clicking on the search magnifying glass icon.

But if I'm in a notebook group, there is no Search:  Everything <notebookgroup>  anymore.

How do I search within a notebook group?  This used to be possible before the latest Evernote.

(Can I go back to a previous version of Evernote if this isn't available?  On my PC, I still use Evernote 4 with my work account, and won't be upgrading that until I absolutely have to!  I miss Evernote 4 SO MUCH!  I've been using v5 on my mac for a long time and using them side by side, Evernote 4 is way easier to use for me on a day to day basis.  I so much miss having the notebook heirarchical view on the side!  Everything is so much easier to get to / see in EV4.)

Thanks

There's no such thing as "groups" in Evernote.  The term is stacks.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/55447-search-grammar-expression-for-grouped-notebooks/

• Level 5*

Sure there is; I do this often...

When I click on "view all notes in <blah>" in the search control, the note list shows me all notes in <blah>, whether it's a notebook or a stack. Ditto if I click on <blah> in the notebook list in the left panel. Not sure why you're double-clicking to do anything -- it's just expanding the stack's menu entry, as that's a hierarchical menu there. Again, much easier to click on it in the notebook panel, if you don't have a lot of notebooks / stacks at the top level.

I don't see "Search: Everything <blah>" anywhere in the UI. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

Click on the magnifying glass to the left of the search control in the toolbar. Select "Search Current Content". Select a stack (or notebook). Click on the edit control to the right of the magnifying glass. A popup menu may appear. You can choose a search criterion from that menu, or type your own. You can also add tags to your search by Ctrl+Click'ing in the tag tree on the left panel, or by clicking on the tag icon at the top of your note list.

Yes, you can go back to version 4. Version 5 *does* have a hierarchical view of notebooks (and one of tags) in the left panel, similar to that of V5.

• 6 months later...

The fact that the question needs to be asked is proof of how bad the V5 interface is.  I had to come here looking too.  But what is really sad is that it doesn't work.  Even though I changed to current context, it kept changing back to all notes.  If that were V5's only bug, I wouldn't bother to post, but V5 is buggy beyond belief.  I've made multiple bug reports to tech support, but none of them are ever resolved.  Now that I have a new computer and easy access to OneNote, that is probably where I'm headed.  Too bad, because Evernote used to be such a great product.

• Level 5*

I search single notebooks pretty often. It's not that hard, once you learn how to do it. 

V4 had its own search / UI quirks. I'm fine with V5 in that respect.

Archived