(Archived) Desktop app not syncing shared folder content

mdvdm

Idea

I'm using the Evernote 5.3.0 desktop app for mac, downloaded from the Apple App Store.

I recently began using shared folders on a project.

Here's the problem:

Some content is not being synced to my desktop app, but it is visible on my IOS app and through my browser. It just isn't showing up in my desktop app. Other content becomes visible when the sync auto-refreshes, but some of it is missing.

Thoughts?

5 replies to this idea

I'm using the Evernote 5.3.0 desktop app for mac, downloaded from the Apple App Store.

I recently began using shared folders on a project.

Here's the problem:

Some content is not being synced to my desktop app, but it is visible on my IOS app and through my browser. It just isn't showing up in my desktop app. Other content becomes visible when the sync auto-refreshes, but some of it is missing.

Thoughts?

When you say "content" are you talking about entire notes or parts of notes?

Are the shared notebooks notebooks in your account that you have shared to others?  Or do the notebooks belong to another account & they were shared to you?

Thanks for the response, BurgersNFries.

By "content" I mean parts of notes. Particularly a part of the note that another user has contributed to. Their content isn't showing up.

I just went online and updated the note through the browser, and now neither their text nor mine is syncing to the desktop app.

The shared notebook is one in my account that I've created to share with others.

Thanks for the response, BurgersNFries.

By "content" I mean parts of notes. Particularly a part of the note that another user has contributed to. Their content isn't showing up.

I just went online and updated the note through the browser, and now neither their text nor mine is syncing to the desktop app.

The shared notebook is one in my account that I've created to share with others.

Sounds like you're running into the issue when multiple users are editing (consciously or not) the same note.  IE, if two users are accessing the same note simultaneously & one adds a lot of text then syncs but the second user inadvertently edits the note on their desktop by adding a carriage return or space, then when the second user syncs, the changes made by the first user will be overwritten.  When you have multiple people or devices (same person but using it on a desktop & a phone), you need to understand how EN sync'ing works.

It's very simple. The EN servers (IE web client) are the "source of all truths." Any changes made on one device need to be sync'd up to the EN servers before those changes are accessible from the web client or any other device/computer. If you make any changes with the web client, you are changing the EN servers directly, so no sync (up) is involved. Any changes made to the EN servers need to be sync'd down to any other computer/device before they are accessible from that device/computer.

If you create/modify a note on a desktop/laptop & then shut down w/o it getting sync'd to the EN servers, that note will not show up on the web client or be sync'd down to any other devices/computers UNTIL, you then start up the desktop/laptop & have EN running long enough to do an auto sync or you force a sync. The best way around this is to manually sync the laptop/desktop if you're going to be using another computer/device before the next auto sync or are shutting that computer down/hibernating/etc.

I don't know about all mobile clients, but AFAIK, the iPhone client only syncs when you first start the program or make a change/add a note. (It tells you it's sync'ing.) So if you make a change on a desktop but it's not sync'd to the EN servers yet, then start the iPhone client, the desktop changes will not sync down to the iPhone. If you remain in the iPhone client while the desktop sync's the changes up, you would need to manually sync the iPhone client to get the changes down to the iPhone.

I'm not sure that's the problem here.

I'm aware of how EN sync'ing works (I've lost a few precious things while editing between multiple devices....nothing like that to teach you), but I think this may actually be more of a problem with the install of my Mac desktop app.

The edit I just made through the web client has synced down perfectly to my iPhone and my iPad. The only place the updated text isn't showing up is on my desktop app.

To make it even stranger, I checked the note history of the note in question through the desktop app, and the most recent version does show all of the updated text. However, when I import that version into a new folder the text disappears again.

Archived