Evernote for Windows 5.0.2 Discussion

dlu

Hello Folks!

We just pushed 5.0.2 out. For business folks, this means you'll get the goodies in Evernote Business 2.0. We've implemented a split between Personal and Business notebooks.

This is also when many of our users will be seeing a prompt to update, so we look forward to your feedback and making the app better for everyone.

If you have any questions or comments, you can post here

cheers!

• Level 5

I am using Evernote for Windows 4.6.7.8409 (268917) Public

My personal Evernote account check for updates says:

"There are no updates available at this time. You are using the latest version of Evernote."

1.) "We've implemented a split between Personal and Business notebooks."  Do you mean the 5.0.2 is for business users only?

2.) Is 5.0.2 a beta or is it a General Release version?

Are you kidding me?!? This new version runs like molasses! When using the keyboard to move down through the snippets list, the note pane is so slow to update that you lose track of where you are. The feeling of synchronization, which the prior version displayed, has evaporated.

And the tab key! Have you seen what it does? Completely hosed.

And...the new installation broke my shortcut keys to the app.

And to add insult to injury, it's just gone into the old "Not Responding" state for the second time in ten minutes.

You need some more experienced people on the QA/Testing side. These kind of amateur mistakes are really inexcusable!

How can I revert back to the prior version?

Are you kidding me?!? This new version runs like molasses! When using the keyboard to move down through the snippets list, the note pane is so slow to update that you lose track of where you are. The feeling of synchronization, which the prior version displayed, has evaporated.

And to add insult to injury, it's just gone into the old "Not Responding" state for the second time in ten minutes.

You need some more experienced people on the QA/Testing side. These kind of amateur mistakes are really inexcusable!

It might help to wait some time before evaluating speed. In previous versions, re-indexing etc. took some time and performance. I do not see any performance problems with the new version at all.

Hi, just updated and looks okay except for one thing, although i may have missed the solution -

Is the only way to view images now is in card view, apart from the two additional list views?

Or can I view with thumbnails which I can resize as in the last version?

Card view is pretty much useless (for me) as it creates a crop of the image and on my screen is only four across, which means a lot of scrolling down and clicking to see the full images.  This is a shame as i just opened a paid account but this is not really useful to me as it stands.

Thanks very much.

• Level 5*

If you haven't used 5+ before, you probably have to wait a couple of hours depending on your notecount, for the system to re-index.

• Level 5*

Search engine still can't handle international letters as mentioned in the previous betas. Makes the search engine unusable...

Just checked with German Umlauts, the search seems to work as expected for those.

Are you sure? Mine shows search suggestions without the proper letter and leaves out notebooks/tags/saved searches with the typed international letter completely.

xnuj.jpg

Oops, you are right. Same behavior here. Evernote does find the note though... so maybe only a problem with the search suggestions and not the search results? the suggestions don't even make sense and don't know where they come from :-) I can however find the note I was looking for...

15d0689.jpg

The note search results are fine and the smart term search suggestions seem to work fine as well, except only showing the wrong letter as both our images show. But notebooks/tags/saved searches are completely absent. So when they decided to remove the individual tag/saved search searched from the toolbar, I can't search among my 2000+ nested tags...

Still no searching tags/notebooks/saved searches using international letters...

• Level 5*

As others have noted, this may be a temporary condition. I can arrow up and down the snippets and card views with no slowness at all.

What does it do? And what should it be doing? Are you talking about tabbing around the interface, or tabbing in a note? The latter doesn't seem to have changed. Th former was never that great in the 4.x versions.

What shortcut keys? It would be helpful to be specific.

Windows

I do have one big complaint going from version 4.x o 5.x.

Why have the icons next to the notes been removed? I prefered using my windows version over the mac version just for the reason that the windows version had the icons. The icons allowed me to quickly know which notes or notebooks were being shared with me. Now I have to use more mouse clicks to determine which ones are shared. Why would you make a user use more mouse clicks to do anything when the icons were a very simple and elegant solution?

Mac

I was hoping to see these icons show up in the Mac version along with seeing more text/font icons. I understand why the mac and windows versions actually look different but why would there be different buttons visible between the two versions? As I move between my mac and windows computers I actually have to remember how to do things because there are obvious differences. Why would you make design decisions like that?

I feel this new version is a step back. As the IT director, I suggested our dept at our university purchase the premium version so we could start doing better collaboration with each other since I felt Evernote was better than using Sharepoint but now I'm starting to regret that decision.

Why?

Personally, I won't be upgrading to the new version for at least a couple of months; I want to see that all the bugs have been worked out and that the product is working correctly before making the jump. After seeing the debacle that was the Windows version of the web clipper, I'm in no hurry to change to a product that may or may not work correctly. It's very clear that updates aren't tested adequately before release, and I have no interest in being a beta tester, especially for a product that I'm paying for.

OK. I've seen all the discussions on V5 in the last months. Let's say, to be positive, that there is room for improvement in the release policy of EN at least in the Windows/MS world. 

Today, my V4 client pushed the official notification that V5 is available to download. Even if I know that some changes may be subject to discussion with regard to usability, I'm ready to download it. Because I assume that the push notification means that EN and dlu are confident enough in the product quality i.e. no bugs anymore. And I need quality, because I partially set up some of the processes of my company around EN, we are several Premium users here.

So dlu and EN, I trust you and will upgrade to V5. Hoping for the best. CU soon here for some feedback.

EDIT

I did it an updated. Technically speaking, everything ist running smooth, that's for the positive part, and that's good news. On the othe side, I agree with many of the comments here: some smart changes but the UI has to be improved. Not enough contrast, too flat. and a hige amount of space simply lost. And that's a big problem if you use EN on a laptop, like I do.

dlu,

I just upgraded to this version after spending a few weeks on V5 GA/Beta.  I like the new business functionality and what opportunities it opens up.  One question on some inconsistency that I am seeing

If I go to the business section into one of our notebooks, in the Recent Activity, I see there is a note, and it indicates that I created it.  In another note, it indicates that my colleague created it.

Now, when I go back to the normal notebook/notes view and find these notes, I see that the author field is blank.  What field is the Recent Activity functionality accessing to see who created the note?  Can we expose this field as a viewable column in the list view?  Alternatively, can we have the Author field be populated automatically with whoever created the note.

Sorry to keep asking about this, but for our workflow in my organization, knowing who in the organization created a note we are reading is critical.

Other than that, great job, and keep up the good work!

• Level 5*

EN, please tell us what bugs have been fixed in new version(s) and did your QA tested them out? I am not interested what's new, would rather prefer what's fix. The new version(s) is usually worse than the previous. Sorry, but it is a "norm" now with EN.

Help / Release Notes will generally give you an indication of what's been fixed. Since you may not have installed it already, I'll quote:

Evernote for Windows 5.0.2.1392 GA Release Notes
  • Introducing Evernote Business 2.0
    • Business Home makes your company smarter than ever
      • Get to know your members of your business and learn about their recent activity by browsing their profiles
      • Discover notebooks and notes published by your coworkers, find popular notebooks and top contributors
      • Search and browse notes in every Business Notebook you have access to and preview notes before you join notebooks
    • Expertise Discovery: searching your notes also searches your business for related people and shared notes
    • Convert personal notebooks to business notebooks
  • Fixes:
  • Fixes for misc crashes
  • Fix for full names showing in the Share Bar
  • Fix for business tags not being suggested
  • Bug fixes for sync errors
  • Fix for Atlas not opening properly
  • Numerous other bug fixes
  • Level 5*

How does the "related notes" work on this?  And can it be user changed/switched off?  Apart from that so far I'm OK with the changes.

View / Show Related Notes will enable/disable. The related notes appear below the selected note in the note pane -- scroll to the bottom to see.

Hi All, first time poster here.

My Evernote just updated to 5.0.2.1392. Overall I quite like it, particularly that the left panel is no longer mainly green. That said, there is now this toolbar above an open note which takes up a ridiculous amount of screen real estate. Is there anyway to hide this toolbar:

EverNotePanel.png

Thanks,

Anders

Hello All,

I've been a Premium user of EN for a over a year now and have been well satisfied with it...until this last update. As was mentioned before. Where did the Icons for the notebooks go? When I first opened EN after the update and all the notebooks appeared the same, I thought all my sensitive information in local notebooks had been uploaded to the EN servers. Not what I wanted at all! Then, after further investigation I was relieved to know that the local notebooks had not disappeared, but I could no longer tell which where synced and which were local.  Call me lazy if you will, but before I didn't have to name a notebook so that I would know which one was which, ex. house and house local.  i just looked at icon and knew. Please, bring back the icons!

One small bug, not sure if this behavior was present in the previous releases of v5

- On a long note, scroll down so that the title is no longer visible

- Hit F2 to edit the title

- The tile is not visible, so you are typing blind

I guess the easiest solution would be to always keep the title visible as a few others have asked?  

New Flat 5.0 Appearance - Hard to Use:

I just updated to 5.0.2 for Windows from 4.6.7.  For me,the update introduced a new, flatter, visual appearance.  Overall I like the direction.  However I am really struggling with the lack of contrast across the whole UI - contrast in terms of value and in terms of color.  Everything is some shade of white or light gray or lighter gray.  The lack of contrast is literally making the application hard to use.  I almost get a sense of vertigo as my eyes struggle to separate the note reading pane from the note list from the sidebar.  I am no UI expert, but I think it has something to do with my peripheral vision.  Without any conscious effort my peripheral vision constantly provides information about my surroundings.  For Evernote this means I was always aware of the various sections/panes and I can jump directly to the location I need without any effort.  With the ultra-flat style my peripheral vision is all just one light-gray blur - my peripheral vision is basically telling me I'm lost in a snowstorm.  To find what I need, I have to use my center vision and scan the whole application in order to re-orient myself.  This takes several tedious milliseconds and is actually quite fatiguing after only only a short while.

Just wanted to add my voice in case other people are having the same issue.  Maybe you can boost the contrast a bit or maybe we could get an option to change the colors/contrast/theme of the app?  Also +1 for other people commenting on how they miss the green notebook icons.  Those are another nice visual cue - I am aware of them even when I'm not looking directly at them.  And of course the color makes it immediately clear if the item I'm looking at is a notebook or a note without having to even think about it.

In any case I was able to install a previous version no-problem, so cheers for making that easy.

Thanks.

I just updated to 5.0.2 for Windows from 4.6.7.  For me,the update introduced a new, flatter, visual appearance.  Overall I like the direction.  However I am really struggling with the lack of contrast across the whole UI - contrast in terms of value and in terms of color.  Everything is some shade of white or light gray or lighter gray.  The lack of contrast is literally making the application hard to use.  I almost get a sense of vertigo as my eyes struggle to separate the note reading pane from the note list from the sidebar.  I am no UI expert, but I think it has something to do with my peripheral vision.  Without any conscious effort my peripheral vision constantly provides information about my surroundings.  For Evernote this means I was always aware of the various sections/panes and I can jump directly to the location I need without any effort.  With the ultra-flat style my peripheral vision is all just one light-gray blur - my peripheral vision is basically telling me I'm lost in a snowstorm.  To find what I need, I have to use my center vision and scan the whole application in order to re-orient myself.  This takes several tedious milliseconds and is actually quite fatiguing after only only a short while.

Just wanted to add my voice in case other people are having the same issue.  Maybe you can boost the contrast a bit or maybe we could get an option to change the colors/contrast/theme of the app?  Also +1 for other people commenting on how they miss the green notebook icons.  Those are another nice visual cue - I am aware of them even when I'm not looking directly at them.  And of course the color makes it immediately clear if the item I'm looking at is a notebook or a note without having to even think about it.

In any case I was able to install a previous version no-problem, so cheers for making that easy.

Thanks.

This is my exact problem with the update. The Notebook>Stack>Notebook headers in the left panel are only differentiated by slight text size differences. Why is every company jumping on the flatten bandwagon? It's anti-UI to me.  Add some color, emboldenment, lines, something! Better yet, allow me to color the different sections and fonts on the left panel how I want. Tags background yellow, notebooks blue, whatever. Give me options.  We don't need silly web 2.0 3D buttons, but some depth is needed. 

My other gripe: The border around the note view in the right pane. Why does it need to change with every note? Can it at least be the size of the page at it's smallest? Scrolling through notes is distracting because the border is jumping all over resizing itself. It's minor but it would calm the UI down a little.

• Level 5*

Why is every company jumping on the flatten bandwagon? It's anti-UI to me.

Interesting question. Partly it's a style thing, and a reaction to <that-big-greek-word-that-you-never-knew-until-everyone-started-hating-on-it> style graphics. And here's a guess on my part: with the rise of the mobile platforms, battery life has become a driver of a lot of software changes. And flat graphics are a lot easier to draw, processor-wise (and therefore power-wise) than fancy shaded/rendered eye-candy (again, this is wholly supposition on my part, but not too far-fetched). Also (more guessing, as I am certainly not a UI designer by trade): flat UI tends to fade to the back, in favor of the actual content, so perhaps there's a "pop" factor.

Doesn't matter a lot to me -- there's the skinning crowd, and the don't-care-to skin crowd; I seem to be in the latter group.

I really do not like the look of this version.  Its too "fat". I would be happy if you guys just reverted it back.

The old UI was more compact and it was easier to see my folders.

As far as I can tell, the UI changed for no good reason.

Thanks.

Me too, I don't like this UI at all.  Looks like they are trying to copy Microsoft 2012 style.  The old version is better.

Why is every company jumping on the flatten bandwagon? It's anti-UI to me.

Interesting question. Partly it's a style thing, and a reaction to <that-big-greek-word-that-you-never-knew-until-everyone-started-hating-on-it> style graphics. And here's a guess on my part: with the rise of the mobile platforms, battery life has become a driver of a lot of software changes. And flat graphics are a lot easier to draw, processor-wise (and therefore power-wise) than fancy shaded/rendered eye-candy (again, this is wholly supposition on my part, but not too far-fetched). Also (more guessing, as I am certainly not a UI designer by trade): flat UI tends to fade to the back, in favor of the actual content, so perhaps there's a "pop" factor.

Doesn't matter a lot to me -- there's the skinning crowd, and the don't-care-to skin crowd; I seem to be in the latter group.

You don't use anymore processor cycles with just a color change. A single line takes very little power to draw as well. I'm not talking about 3D buttons just divided panels, and simple square buttons. Even then you can pre render them and display them as flat bitmaps. That's zero processing power because the GPU will store it in memory until there is a change. I'm glad that we're pushing tablets and phones, and trying to develop UI's to run them, but the bleed over to PC's bothers me a lot. There are huge screens, keyboards, and mice to run them. Shoehorning a Touch UI onto a PC is a huge step back. 

Take google's new home page with the new "apps" button you have to click to get to the apps. How many millions of people have to make that extra click everyday? What was wrong with the black bar at the top with everything exposed? The icon based apps panel is slower to read as well because the icons for the apps are not universal, so all they do is get in the way when my eyes search from word to word. 

I also don't want EN to fade to the back. It's whole purpose is the drive the content how I want it to. It should be more integrated not less. 

That being said, I just can't read the left pain quickly. I'm a very fast reader and it just doesn't flow right. Changing the font to TNR 12 helps some, but I miss the icons. 

(None of this is meant to blast you btw. Just venting a little!)

HI all, 

I totally agree with the above users. 

I'd skipped the last to version update reminders. 

After I did this one today, to 5.0.2.1392,  I thought something blew up and I'd been attacked by malware or something. 

The new "BRILLIANT WHITE" background is EXTREMELY annoying. How about having an option for more softer backgrounds like sepia or a mild green ... anything but this "BRILLIANT WHITE"

Personally, I would *love* to be able to go back to the V4 UI. It seems to me to be more friendly and space efficient, and generally allow one to work more effectively.

In particular I agree with AHD regarding that seemingly vast expanse of panel above the note - I feel like I have to look quite a ways down from the top of the window just to find where my note starts. An option to collapse the panel in whole or in part - as was available in V4 - would be wonderful. In general there just seems to be more white space then necessary, around many elements.

Things have been moved around in the UI. I knew where they were before; now they're in different places. Change for the sake of change, seems to me. And the new places mostly require a bit more mouse movement (the sync button is further to the left, for example) or an additional click (getting to 'Sort notes by,' for example). The look is more "modern" and flat; more Windows 8-like. In keeping with Windows 8 and much recent web UI development, there's more space around and between UI elements (the vertical notebook list at the left, for example). This is not a good thing; my understanding of the relationships among things improves when I can see more of them at once; I didn't buy a large, high-res monitor to fill it with empty space and big fonts.

The new scroll bars look really trendy, but, being smaller, are harder to use. Turned off the annoying "related notes' stuff. Thanks for giving me the option to do that.

I do, however, like the 'recent searches' that pops up when I start typing a search. And, I especially like how some long-present annoyances with the text editor have been finally fixed. No longer does the position of a long note pop to the start every time I make an edit near its end. No longer do long notes scroll more than one page at a time when I use my mouse wheel (which is set to scroll one page at a time). And, wonder of wonders, it looks like the spell-check is now actually usable; I can type THe and get The at the top of the list of suggested corrections (previously, the misspelled THe would produce the following list of suggestions: He, T HE, THC, Te, Tee. Unbelievably bad, it was. Much better now!).

Runs fast and smooth here on my PC.

Mostly don't mind the new look but there's some good ideas for improvements above. One problem I am getting is "Sync failed due to unexpected problem at server side" every time I try to sync. Hopefully this will go away...

At least I could remove announcements from the sidebar (unlike in the iOS app - grrr)

Since I updated my windows evernote yesterday it won't start with Windows as it used to all the time before. The option is checked in the settings though. I got to launch evernote manually now. What can I do to have this problem solved?

What the heck is going on with this last update? I need to hide tags of shared notebooks! I can't distinguish my tags from shared notebooks, and therefore I can't control the views that I depend on for daily workflow. Why can't I select a notebook and see only the tags in that notebook in the left sidebar? 

This sort of "update" makes me really question the validity of storing everything in EN. Making huge updates instead of small incremental ones-- is what will discourage me from continuing to be an EN user and evangelists.

I was considering EN for business... NOT now. I can't imagine dealing with this company wide. I don't have time to conduct EN seminars to keep up with changes.

This bug is not taken care of:

selecting a tag from drop down menu in the search box is broken. Say I type "volat" and I select the tag "volatiltiy" from the menu. A search is performed for keyword "volat" not for notes tagged with the tag "volatility"

• Level 5*

selecting a tag from drop down menu in the search box is broken. Say I type "volat" and I select the tag "volatiltiy" from the menu. A search is performed for keyword "volat" not for notes tagged with the tag "volatility"

When you're typing in the search control, you're not selecting tags, as far as I can tell. The items suggested are just for literal text, and that's how they're treated in search. At least, unless I've misunderstood what you're trying to say...

After the update, there was one mistake. When you enter a tag in the Czech language containing accents, tag after synchronization will disappear when your back " říjen " tag disappear when I enter "rijen" tag remain. Problém - ž š č ř ď ť ň

I haven't been able to use Evernote on my Windows 7 x64 desktop for a week or so now. It started with some sub-version of 5.0.1 - as soon as I open it, it crashes. I uninstalled it, and installed the latest version (5.0.2.1329), same problem. The error message isn't too helpful - the title bar says "Fatal error", and the text in the dialog just says that it's encountered a problem and needs to close. Anyone have any help on this?

When you're typing in the search control, you're not selecting tags, as far as I can tell. The items suggested are just for literal text, and that's how they're treated in search. At least, unless I've misunderstood what you're trying to say...

You got it correctly. When you start typing in the search box, the drop down menu appears with keywords suggestions, tags and recent searches. Selecting a tag from the list is supposed to perform a search for notes tagged with the selected tag. Pls see the screen clip

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s8/sh/91afa27d-4f58-4295-a8fe-67d8e4393274/b2acf4536353d82836200d4406e48884

• Level 5*

You got it correctly. When you start typing in the search box, the drop down menu appears with keywords suggestions, tags and recent searches. Selecting a tag from the list is supposed to perform a search for notes tagged with the selected tag. Pls see the screen clip

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s8/sh/91afa27d-4f58-4295-a8fe-67d8e4393274/b2acf4536353d82836200d4406e48884

That's curious -- I don't see a "tags" subsection of the dropdown list on my computer. I wonder why that is?

That's curious -- I don't see a "tags" subsection of the dropdown list on my computer. I wonder why that is?

What is your search as you type delay set to?

I *think* that turning it off, turns off auto search and suggestions. I normally have it off, and only see recent and saved. Turning it on, I see suggestions including notebooks/tags

• Level 5*

What is your search as you type delay set to?

I *think* that turning it off, turns off auto search and suggestions. I normally have it off, and only see recent and saved. Turning it on, I see suggestions including notebooks/tags

Search delay is 50 ~units~. The curious thing is that I see suggestions for "Recent Searches" and for "Saved Searches", but not for "Tags", as shown in the screen shot. I certainly use tag searches.
  • Level 5*

Something else then. Do you get any search suggestions? Or just missing tags etc?

I definitely get search suggestions, just not suggestions for tags, That's the weird thing.

My Evernote just updated to 5.0.2.1392. Overall I quite like it, particularly that the left panel is no longer mainly green. That said, there is now this toolbar above an open note which takes up a ridiculous amount of screen real estate. Is there anyway to hide this toolbar:

EverNotePanel.png

Thanks,

Anders

+1 on that ome

• Level 5*

That's not really a toolbar so much as a note information panel, much like the one that was in the same place in the V4 Evernote, except that it doesn't offer multiple levels of detail (I imagine that the multiple levels of detail was confusing to users, and not particularly discoverable, and that's why they changed it). The V4 panel was not entirely removable, and so far as I know, neither is this one. It does appear that you may be able to customize some of the items that appear in the first row via the registry (value "NoteInfoToolbarConfig1" is what I see), but I haven't tried it.

This might have gotten lost at the bottom of a page:

I haven't been able to use Evernote on my Windows 7 x64 desktop for a week or so now. It started with some sub-version of 5.0.1 - as soon as I open it, it crashes. I uninstalled it, and installed the latest version (5.0.2.1329), same problem. The error message isn't too helpful - the title bar says "Fatal error", and the text in the dialog just says that it's encountered a problem and needs to close. Anyone have any help on this?

That's not really a toolbar so much as a note information panel, much like the one that was in the same place in the V4 Evernote, except that it doesn't offer multiple levels of detail (I imagine that the multiple levels of detail was confusing to users, and not particularly discoverable, and that's why they changed it). The V4 panel was not entirely removable, and so far as I know, neither is this one. It does appear that you may be able to customize some of the items that appear in the first row via the registry (value "NoteInfoToolbarConfig1" is what I see), but I haven't tried it.
No need for the registry here, you can just right click that area as well, and edit the items on that toolbar.

I don't think it is removable though, and I don't think there is a way to make it any smaller

• Level 5*

No need for the registry here, you can just right click that area as well, and edit the items on that toolbar.

OK, yeah, I see now. You need to right-click right in the area of those tools (Reminder, Share, Info, Delete). Got it, thanks.

Same experience with speed -- way slower than prior versions.  Database was reindexed at installation so that's not the problem.  Layout is a step backward -  wasted space - but in my view only a small one compared with the speed hit.

PJB

I like most changes, but this upgrade is a real dealbreaker for my main use for Evernote: opening a lot of notes to see them all at once.

In Evernote 4, F8 and Ctrl-F8 were my best friends, but I still had to contend with one useless (to me) centimeter of menu bar. I hoped Evernote 5 would allow me to hide that too, but instead, I'm stuck with 4 useless centimeters, not to mention the overly generous side margins! A full third of my screen real estate is now taken by clutter. I've made a helpful image:

Evernote%205.png

I also feel that the new UI has a lot of wasted space on the toolbar and note info area. Previously I was able to put frequently used notes & notebooks on the toolbar and hide the note info area but now we can't. Now I'm forced to use the Left Panel Shortcuts to access frequently used notes & notesbooks, and the Left Panel also took up screen space.

I like most changes, but this upgrade is a real dealbreaker for my main use for Evernote: opening a lot of notes to see them all at once.

In Evernote 4, F8 and Ctrl-F8 were my best friends, but I still had to contend with one useless (to me) centimeter of menu bar. I hoped Evernote 5 would allow me to hide that too, but instead, I'm stuck with 4 useless centimeters, not to mention the overly generous side margins! A full third of my screen real estate is now taken by clutter. I've made a helpful image:

Evernote%205.png

Totally agree!

I was scared and I'm not disappointed - I think the interface is ugly which I wouldn't care if it did the same job (though it does take way too much space), which, it seems it doesn't for me:

1- It erased my bookmarks (very annoying)

2- and worse, it looks like it synchronizes them! OH NO  I had different bookmarks depending on which computer I use (home, work) so I hope this will be fixed ASAP

3- Again related to the bookmarks, why do they now take the space on the left when it was just (almost) perfect to get it on the top - my bookmarks on the top, and I browse on the left to get my notebooks.

4- Is it safe to revert to the old version?

• Level 5*

The option to view all notebooks has gone!? I can only look at each notebook in turn.Don't like that change.

No, it's still there. Left panel, below the shortcuts there is a button that reads "Notes." In my case there is a figure of 10379 after it. Alternatively, go to the toolbar: there is an icon there that shows all notes. Right-click in the toolbar area and select "customize toolbar" if it is not there.

• Level 5*

I was scared and I'm not disappointed - I think the interface is ugly which I wouldn't care if it did the same job (though it does take way too much space), which, it seems it doesn't for me:

1- It erased my bookmarks (very annoying)

2- and worse, it looks like it synchronizes them! OH NO  I had different bookmarks depending on which computer I use (home, work) so I hope this will be fixed ASAP

3- Again related to the bookmarks, why do they now take the space on the left when it was just (almost) perfect to get it on the top - my bookmarks on the top, and I browse on the left to get my notebooks.

I haven't done it myself because the sum of the things I dislike about the new version has not yet driven me to do so, but there are numerous posts on this forum that say that people have successfully reverted. Make sure you have a back-up of your database (and/or have everything in the cloud), then you can uninstall the latest version then reinstall the old version.

Hi,

so far I love the new Version! The Alarm function really is the solution to all my problems.

However I have found one thing:

Performing actions on multiple Tags does not seem to work:

When I mark multiple Tags using the Strg-Key and press delete only one gets deleted, Same for moving the tags to categories. Marking multiple entries by shift clicking them doesn't seem to work at all, although I'm not sure if this has ever worked... should have written a note to remember ;)

Other than that, nice work.

Another thing I don't like in terms of presentation:

when you scroll down inside a note, the title disappears.

Why put the title at this position, inside the text note ?? A title note should stay visibly on the top of a note, but not at the top of the frame as it is now, it is not practical to have to think of looking up and eventually finding it on the top frame of the note, eyes have to look higher and I don't find it comfortable and with my window settings, it's not even easily readable.

Like bookmarks, I think the change was counter productive, because icons take now more (too much) space, and finding (and renaming!) even the title of one's note is not so user friendly any more  :(

I'm sure you guys will improve this soon.

Not sure if this is a bug or a missing feature:  Cannot print highlighted text from web clipper.

I use the HTML highlighter within the web clipper to highlight text on a page. The note appears in EN with the correct highlighting but the highlighting doesn't print if I print out a physical copy of the note.  I have to email the note to myself then print the email in order to keep the highlights.  

Anyone have a similar problem or know if it's a bug/missing feature?

Thanks.

EDIT:  also doesn't print highlights added through EN directly

Why put the title at this position, inside the text note ?? A title note should stay visibly on the top of a note, but not at the top of the frame as it is now, it is not practical to have to think of looking up and eventually finding it on the top frame of the note, eyes have to look higher and I don't find it comfortable and with my window settings, it's not even easily readable.

I think this is a big flaw in the new version and hope that Evernote fixes it quickly.  I can look left to see which note is highlighted, but the eye motion of looking left is not as natural as just looking up to see the title of the note. 

The option to view all notebooks has gone!? I can only look at each notebook in turn.Don't like that change.

No, it's still there. Left panel, below the shortcuts there is a button that reads "Notes." In my case there is a figure of 10379 after it. Alternatively, go to the toolbar: there is an icon there that shows all notes. Right-click in the toolbar area and select "customize toolbar" if it is not there.

I hope that Evernote adds an "All Notes" option to the drop down menu of my Notebooks.  It was always the first choice in the previous version.  I don't like the fact that they removed it.

Lastly, the new graphical style is definitely harder to look at than the old one.  There's not enough contrast between the different areas of the window, making the whole product harder to read and navigate.  I hope Evernote adds some contrast back so it looks closer to the previous version. 

I'm just going to keep requoting this until I get some sort of (helpful) response.

I'm just going to keep requoting this until I get some sort of (helpful) response.

Quickest way would be go to through customer support. When you get a fatal error, do you happen to enter an email address? If so, you can PM that to me.

• Level 5*

We'd request that you *not* do that. That's the sort of behavior that can lead to getting posts deleted, threads locked, etc., etc. As dlu says, the correct way to get support from Evernote is to open a support request.

We'd request that you *not* do that. That's the sort of behavior that can lead to getting posts deleted, threads locked, etc., etc. As dlu says, the correct way to get support from Evernote is to open a support request.

Sorry, I saw only support for premium users, which I am not, so I came to the only place I could readily see that was for non-premium users.

First impressions - disaster within seconds of upgrade.

Interface is blinding/confusing.

My 3rd party table imports (notably MSWord) have all gone double-space-plus (lines/cellpadding) destroying quick-reference utility.  (I use templates created in MSWord, saved as .mht, clipped to EN to bypass the old "double-space bug" with MS apps).

Disappointing.  Can't pull out of EN, but I'd be crazy to inflict it on my organization now.

• Level 5*

Sorry, I saw only support for premium users, which I am not, so I came to the only place I could readily see that was for non-premium users.
Support is for everyone, although premium users get priority. No worries -- I'd ask someone to stop before I got all moderater-y on them. We'd prefer to help you here in the forums, by the way, but that's not always possible.

Why the clunky oversized icons and hideous grey space below the notes? I use Evernote for productivity, but the new layout looks a mess! Are there any plans to allow users to utilize their entire note panel without having to create a bunch of empty lines at the end of each note?

Wait, why are some silly icons that I might only want to use a single time with my notes now permanently displayed, but I have to literally scroll all the way to the very top of my note to even be able to see the title??? Please tell me that you realize that users are much more likely to need to see a notes title repeatedly than to delete, set reminders, or even share repeatedly...

I don't think it is removable though, and I don't think there is a way to make it any smaller

Thanks for the replies guys. Actually it was completely removable in version 4. Anyway, I tried right-clicking and removing some of the elements. Now looks like this:

EvernoteWaste.png

As you can see it does not decrease the size of this toolbar/GUI-area/menu item. Seeing as how I cannot right-click the area to get the menu item backs, it is in fact now an even bigger waste of screen real estate! Same goes for the height ot the main toolbars now that I am at it :)

I am a long-time user of EN and have been using it more and more. I have several thousand notes. I am sure that the new update is faster and may well have great efficiency improvements under the hood, but this update is retrograde for several reasons:

1. This is the most serious problem:

Sensible use of tags has been downgraded and made extremely difficult. One used to be able to click on "add tag" and enter a series of tags, with completion (or the "correct" way to create new tags) simply by typing return in between. Most importantly, these tags were visible at the top of each note. Now tag entry is severly broken and tag display is similarly hideous - you can only see all the tags in a Note either by clicking on a drop-down or by looking across at the Notes list. The problem of tag entry is a real problem for people who create notes quickly. It is absolutely clear that you haven't been followng discussions of how to improve tag entry in the web clipper (here: discussion.evernote.com/topic/37332-web-clipper-gets-progressively-worse.

You should really think about keyboard entry. There are all kinds of issues, but the standout is to ask why a new note starts with focus in the main body, and no ability to tab back-and-forth. Surely at the very least the vast majority of users will first of all want to type a title?

2. The only way to use Shortcuts is by keeping the left-hand-bar open. I have a bunch of saved searches which I saved into the previous Favourites Bar whcih were much easier to use (and I could insert separators and everything.) These shortcuts are essential to my workflow.

3. The only way (again!) to get back from a particular Notebook to "All Notes" is to click in the left-hand-bar, and if you have Shortcuts open there, the place you have to click is indeterminate!

4. You no longer provide default shortcuts for such things as attached files and web clips. These were very useful.

In short, you have gone for aesthetics and have once again failed to consider usability. You only ever seem to consider the needs of people who are happy to click with a mouse all of the time; almost by definition, this excludes power users.

Please take my issues seriously. In the meantime, I am about to look into downgrading for now.

Going to add to the slew of complaints here, since there doesn't seem to be an effective way to report bugs.

• If notes are smaller than the "default size" (as in, not long enough to increase the size of the visible note space), there are graphical errors on the bottom of the note.
  • The ctrl+space "Simplify Formatting" used to be good at resolving the graphical and typographical glitches that occured through typical formatting, especially of bulleted lists (which was odd to begin with, seeing as document formatting is one of the primary requirements of a software application like this...) but now it seems to just jumble everything and make things worse. I'm not sure why this feature even needed to change.

No response to my simple question on page one.  I uninstalled 5 and reverted to 4.6.7.

Anyone who wishes to revert can find that version on the brilliant FileHippo here - http://www.filehippo.com/download_evernote/15615/

(Mod - please remove link if it's not allowed, users can just google it instead)

I will continue to be a premium user until my version is broken unless they get 5 to being as useful.

Cheers.

I generally like the changes, but there are a few things giving me difficulties.

First, I do NOT like that the note titles are just the first line of the note. I would like to see them more prominent and obvious, and they should not scroll up off the screen when you scroll the note. The rest of the note info does not.

Next, and this may just be a small adjustment, I am having trouble grabbing and resizing the Note List|Preview separator. When you grab the vertical line between those screen areas, you can drag left and right to change how much of the screen is for each side. But it's hard to grab. You have to get the cursor on the exact middle pixel, not one pixel to the right or left, to be able to resize the panes.

Also, I'd like a little better visual separation between the panes. The dividers and the scroll bars are all too similar.

• Level 5

It's still there (in the title bar) when you've double clicked a note to open it separately.

And as noted elsewhere, it's always available in the note list to the left.

I guess for now, you can also always tap the info icon to display the title.

The keyboard shortcut help indicates F8 or Ctrl-F8 to bring up the info when you're editing a note.  That no longer works for me.

Wondering if that's a V5 thing, or if I have something else stealing that key.

That was interesting. Downloaded Evernote 5 and proceeded to install. It hung up due to lack of a 'bootstrap' but it had run long enough to remove the older program. Deleted the the the new program from my download file and downloaded off the web again. When I tried to run the install, it now refused to do anything. So I guess that's it for me and Evernote.

Downloaded ii using FF instead of Chrome and installation went fine. Good to have more than one browser :)

• Level 5

Also, I'd like a little better visual separation between the panes. The dividers and the scroll bars are all too similar.

They look the same for you?  And different than mine?

ScreenClip.png

Very disappointed with the new interface.  I could glance at the previous version and immediately know what was where on the screen.  The new UI is a mess of black and white lines on a white background.  My point is there is no subtlety or class to this interface.  It is stark and does not help the user find different bits of functionality.

I have uninstalled 5.0.2 and installed the previous version, 4.6.7.8409.  I have also disabled the check for updates.

I am a Premium Member.

Evernote has done it again. Thrown together a bunch of pointless UI changes I guess to conform to the latest look and feel trends. Can you tell me what was wrong with version 4's styling? One would think that your subscription model would drive you to focus on fixing bugs rather than sheen effects to lure people unthinkingly toward upgrades. You're carrying the same old bugs and issues we've been complaining about forever forward with version 5. Here is just a sample:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/15773-post-your-1-feature-request-here/page-18

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39471-search-within-tags/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25038-feature-requests-ability-to-turn-off-new-features/

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36549-constant-messing-with-the-ui/

Very disappointed with the new interface.  I could glance at the previous version and immediately know what was where on the screen.  The new UI is a mess of black and white lines on a white background.  My point is there is no subtlety or class to this interface.  It is stark and does not help the user find different bits of functionality.

I have uninstalled 5.0.2 and installed the previous version, 4.6.7.8409.  I have also disabled the check for updates.

I am a Premium Member.

Don, so my work will migrate back from 5.0.2 to 4.6.7?

I am a Premium Member.

From my experience, yes. I obviously made sure I had a backup of the database folder before uninstalling v5 and installing v4, but apart from that I didn't have to do anything special.  v4 found my old data (which was not deleted when I uninstalled v5) without a glitch.

I have been thinking about the UI thing.  Perhaps it is only people like me who use multiple notebooks and nested notebooks who have a problem with the new UI?  If you have a single notebook then perhaps it is less of an issue.  And from comments I have read some people love the gaunt new interface.

Someone posted that a marketing video for v5 said it makes your content "pop".  Maybe the designers assume we all have multi-colored notes and I can see that in that case, a stark background would make the notes come to the fore.  But almost all my notes are text only, so in v5 there was less visual difference between my notes and the UI furniture because it is all black and white.  Simple colored borders round stuff might solve it.

On the plus side, I think the UI of the Android app continues to be superb on the Note2 !

Sorry if the above is rambling a bit.  Sleep needed :)

My 'Evernote for Dummies' is now completely useless. I can no longer search for and find my notes - I don't even know where to start.

In updating, I have lost the entire contents of my notebook 'Recipes TMX' - recipes which, as a food journalist,  I have entered over the years with meticulous attention to weights, times, temperatures, etc. (The notebook remains - it's just empty!) 

In the course of trying to search for a note I have clicked some control or another which has completely changed my screen so that I have a complete directory listing of all notes with no way of getting out of the displayed format.

Your user interface has never been intuitive (that's why I had to resort to 'Dummies' - the only other 'Dummies' I found it useful to buy was 'Microsoft Access') but you have achieved new level of opacity now.

Goodbye. It was OK knowing you for a time.

I am a Premium Member.

From my experience, yes. I obviously made sure I had a backup of the database folder before uninstalling v5 and installing v4, but apart from that I didn't have to do anything special.  v4 found my old data (which was not deleted when I uninstalled v5) without a glitch.

I have been thinking about the UI thing.  Perhaps it is only people like me who use multiple notebooks and nested notebooks who have a problem with the new UI?  If you have a single notebook then perhaps it is less of an issue.  And from comments I have read some people love the gaunt new interface.

Someone posted that a marketing video for v5 said it makes your content "pop".  Maybe the designers assume we all have multi-colored notes and I can see that in that case, a stark background would make the notes come to the fore.  But almost all my notes are text only, so in v5 there was less visual difference between my notes and the UI furniture because it is all black and white.  Simple colored borders round stuff might solve it.

On the plus side, I think the UI of the Android app continues to be superb on the Note2 !

Sorry if the above is rambling a bit.  Sleep needed :)

Many thanks Don

I am a premium member.  I use EN Windows, iPhone and iPad, everyday for work and home.

I will not update to V5.  Thankfully I watched the presentation today after I received the email annoucing the release of V5 for Windows.  Here are the notes that I made:

I use shortcuts on the favorites bar and have no room for them in the left side window.
Atlas  useless to me.
Reminders????  That is what Outlook is for.
Search ahead is cool
Saved searches, maybe not so much.
Related notes, an annoying feature that I don't like.
Jump to notebook, useless. I do that now by clicking on the notebook in the left side window. I have room for all 19 notebooks that I have, but no space for shortcuts there.
Jump to tags, useless.  I do that now by clicking on tags pull down on the favorites bar.

So, I repeat, all in all, no thanks on V5.  I may be an unusual user, but does anyone at Evernote ask users what they want, and/or know how people use this most excellant product?

Please do not kill V4, and fix V5.  Don't make me go back to OneNote, please.

• Level 5

I don't think it's that simple.

I have 40 well nested Notebooks, though I live heavily in 4.

Tags, maybe hundreds, extremely nested.

I really don't have any issues with the UI, other than perhaps prominence of the Market Place. Granted I've perhaps had more time to adapt, seeing it first on the Mac, and wearing it long enough, I couldn't wait for the windows version to finally catch up.

My issues remain with broken or not yet implemented features. It doesn't really matter so much what the UI is, if the features aren't there.

But I'm still quite happy with a scaled back usage of basic functionality until then.

But general appearance and UI is fine with me, and I can't grok the intensity/ferocity given to issues of shading, and placement from the v4 reverters.

I wouldn't go back. Though I do await fixes to search, are other areas.

Hi, just updated and looks okay except for one thing, although i may have missed the solution -

Is the only way to view images now is in card view, apart from the two additional list views?

Or can I view with thumbnails which I can resize as in the last version?

Card view is pretty much useless (for me) as it creates a crop of the image and on my screen is only four across, which means a lot of scrolling down and clicking to see the full images.  This is a shame as i just opened a paid account but this is not really useful to me as it stands.

Thanks very much.

I totally second this. If you want to introduce card view, fine, but please allow us to see full image thumbnails.

I updated yesterday to Windows version 5.0.2.  I immediately noticed that scrolling through notes was slow.  That is, when I open a note that is longer than what fits in the window and I use the vertical scroll bar there is a noticeable lag between when I move the scroll bar and when the text in the window updates.  I read some posts here that suggested Evernote may be slow because it is indexing content after the update, so I waited.  A day later scrolling is as sluggish to respond as it was yesterday, and I don't have that much content to index.

I haven't really measured this delay but I would estimate that the delay is sometimes in the 200 to 400 ms range; that is not just noticeable it is downright PAINFUL.  I maintain a lot of lists in Evernote and scrolling up and down in them to find what I am looking for has just become very not fun.  I am not going to update my other PC until this is resolved.  I appreciate Evernote trying to take steps forward with the GUI design, but please don't sacrifice basic usability such as this in future work.

I am guessing I know the problem, the evernote product has reached maturity and the the company cannot think of anything else to do, so they just changed the UI.

I have a suggestion, create the ability to create a "spreadsheet note" and have the ability to put a form on the web that populates that spreadsheet.  An example would be to request a quote.  Eventually this spreadsheet can become a database table.

This suggestion comes from the use of notes, probably many people use notes for various purposes - evernote can tackle these "use cases" and build specialized functionality.

Or maybe you can declare a folder that is a blog, so when you add stuff it just becomes another blog entry.

In the old Evernote, you could drag a tag to the tool bar where it would stay. Then, you could click it whenever you needed it instead of having to scroll for it. Great feature. Now it's gone. Why? I used to have my "To Do" tag on the toolbar. Not anymore.

In the old Evernote, tags were displayed above every note. When creating a new note you simply clicked the tag and entered your choice. Now you must click the "info" button and THEN click the tag. Every note gets a tag, why would you hide that feature in a drop-down.

Upgraded to 5.02 and the Outlook plugin  (32-bit 2013 version) no longer works.  Can't load it manually (Outlook says it is not a valid plugin).  Reinstalling Evernote (and even Skitch) does nothing.  Was quite happy before the upgrade. Put in a support ticket, but I'm pretty much stuck. :(

Please give users the option to view notes in the traditional thumbnail format.  I have catalogs of design inspiration screen shots/photos/snippets, and the new card format doesn't allow me to see the whole image at a glance.  I need to see the entire thumbnail.

The card view is hard to read on some notes (see attached screen shot). This makes them hard to scan. It would be better to put a solid white background behind every title.

post-155815-0-93921400-1381330094_thumb.

They look the same for you?  And different than mine?

I don't like how the flat gray theme visually blends areas together, like here where you have two very similar gray lines next to each other. I just don't think it stands out as a separate area well. I think the scroll bars are too subtle, and make it harder to quickly see where you have more or less content.

When you mouse over the scroll bar, you get a dimmer highlight of the entire bar area, and when you go away, you're left with just the darker gray floating without context. I don't think that's great design.

yQswQAB.jpg

• Level 5*

In the old Evernote, tags were displayed above every note. When creating a new note you simply clicked the tag and entered your choice. Now you must click the "info" button and THEN click the tag. Every note gets a tag, why would you hide that feature in a drop-down.

??? Tags are still displayed and entered at the top of the note. At the top left of the panel above the note is the notebook selector. Next to it is the tag display / selection control. Look for the text "Click to add tag..." to the right of the tag icon (which is either blue or gray in color, depending on whether the note has tags or not).

Please give users the option to view notes in the traditional thumbnail format.  I have catalogs of design inspiration screen shots/photos/snippets, and the new card format doesn't allow me to see the whole image at a glance.  I need to see the entire thumbnail.

The card view is hard to read on some notes (see attached screen shot). This makes them hard to scan. It would be better to put a solid white background behind every title.

Hmmm. It appears that when the note is only an image, you get the transparent title area. If there is any text content to the note, it causes it to get a white background to add the snippet of text.

I had a snapshot note that I copied, and then added text to one, and you can see that it treats it differently if there is text in the note...

QkzwYKz.jpg

• Level 5*

Atlas  useless to me.

So turn them off. View / Left Panel / Show Atlas

Reminders????  That is what Outlook is for.

So don't add any.

Search ahead is cool

V5 has this.

Saved searches, maybe not so much.

V4 has these as well, and I find them incredibly handy.

Related notes, an annoying feature that I don't like.

You should be able to turn this off. View / Show related Notes

Archived