(Archived) Common-Sense Feature-Requests

Hi,

I am currently a paid user of this service and use it on my Galaxy S2 Phone, Toshiba Thrive tablet, Windows 8 with the client, and also use the WEB version whenever I am at a borrowed computer.

I believe Evernote is a great product, very fast, simple to use and overall good.  However, somo simple common-sense features have been for some reason left out.  I am including a list of the things that I understand are really easy to implement and should have been there from day one.  I am sure most if not all of the current users will agree with me on these.

1. Somehow the client for Windows has less "features" than the Android one.  I should be able to import either by using a button or by drag-and-drop any kind of graphics or files into my note as attachments.  I can attach pictures on my android tablet and phone but strangely, on the Windows client there is no way to do this.
  2. Notes containing tables and other objects cannot be easily edited on the Android app.  It changes to a line-editing mode which makes it really awkward to use and slows you down.
  3. When using the Evernote Web Clipper, when you activate the icon you can choose to clip the selected portion of a web page, a section, or the whole page.  Now if you want to choose a different section and you move your mouse over to the page to select a section different than the one being highlighted, the plugin closes and then you have to open it again and fill-in all the fields you had filled-in before.
  4. Nested notebooks and/or nested pages (more than just one level).
  5. Button to timestamp at the current cursor position.  This should exist on every version of the application.
  6. More formatting options like background color, highlighting, etc....
  7. For tablet and phones, the ability to draw on the screen and make annotations.  This should be implemented with layers so you can keep the text and graphics separate and editable.
  8. Backup function to store database in a file for quick recovery.

I hope somebody from the development team sees this and implement some of these suggestions, if not all, in the next version.

If anybody has any other feature requests that should have been implemented from the start, please comment.

Thank you.

Yes, Evernote is fast.

My concern is that hanging all these additional capabilities onto Evernote will adversely affect it's speed.

Speed....

1. Timestamp - speed not affected
  2. Making versions cross-platform compatible in every sense - speed should not be affected and even so, I think it is a must.
  3. Formatting options - speed not affected.  We are talking about adding some buttons that insert HTML tags and the application already reads HTML.
  4. Backup function - Speed not affected.
  5. Drag-and-drop graphics - Can be made through a an add-on making it optional for users to install it or not.
  6. Draw annotations - same as #5.
  • Level 5*

Well I'd start from the problem that not all OS's are the same,  so formatting / graphics / even timestamps will inevitably and always be out of step,  waiting on OS upgrades.  All of these suggestions are in the 'nice to have' category,  so I think the developers have probably considered them already and have them on the roadmap for action at some point.  If they were easy to deliver,  we'd have them already. 

Hi,

I am currently a paid user of this service and use it on my Galaxy S2 Phone, Toshiba Thrive tablet, Windows 8 with the client, and also use the WEB version whenever I am at a borrowed computer.

I believe Evernote is a great product, very fast, simple to use and overall good. However, somo simple common-sense features have been for some reason left out. I am including a list of the things that I understand are really easy to implement and should have been there from day one. I am sure most if not all of the current users will agree with me on these.

• Somehow the client for Windows has less "features" than the Android one. I should be able to import either by using a button or by drag-and-drop any kind of graphics or files into my note as attachments. I can attach pictures on my android tablet and phone but strangely, on the Windows client there is no way to do this.
  • Notes containing tables and other objects cannot be easily edited on the Android app. It changes to a line-editing mode which makes it really awkward to use and slows you down.
  • When using the Evernote Web Clipper, when you activate the icon you can choose to clip the selected portion of a web page, a section, or the whole page. Now if you want to choose a different section and you move your mouse over to the page to select a section different than the one being highlighted, the plugin closes and then you have to open it again and fill-in all the fields you had filled-in before.
  • Nested notebooks and/or nested pages (more than just one level).
  • Button to timestamp at the current cursor position. This should exist on every version of the application.
  • More formatting options like background color, highlighting, etc....
  • For tablet and phones, the ability to draw on the screen and make annotations. This should be implemented with layers so you can keep the text and graphics separate and editable.
  • Backup function to store database in a file for quick recovery.
I hope somebody from the development team sees this and implement some of these suggestions, if not all, in the next version.

If anybody has any other feature requests that should have been implemented from the start, please comment.

Thank you.

1. Yes, you can drag & drop files into notes on the Windows client.

4. Already discussed at great length on the board. Descriptive titles, tags & keywords are recommended & are more flexible, especially the more notes you have. Please search the board for more info.

7. There is a date/time stamp feature. I forget what it is (ctrl+; maybe?) but you should be able to find it if you search the board.

8. It's as easy/quick as copying your exb file. Again, backup/restore has already been discussed at great length on the board. The search function is your friend.

Archived