(Archived) Ios7-first impressions

mark-t

Apologies if this has been covered, but is anyone else gravely disappointed by the new ios7 app?Messy, confusing and a clear case of over design. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Why are there no options for viewing, or changing the display-there is Unnecessary stuff that cannot be removed.

• Level 5*

Apologies if this has been covered, but is anyone else gravely disappointed by the new ios7 app?Messy, confusing and a clear case of over design. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Why are there no options for viewing, or changing the display-there is Unnecessary stuff that cannot be removed.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. There are a lot of threads on the new iOS 7 app. Personally, I am quite keen on the design. Could you give us specific examples of things you don't like about the interface?

Thank you - yes, I can certainly give examples.

It appears to me that Evernote is assuming people work in a specific way  the interface is designed to 'push' these methodologies to the front.

From the top:
Shortcuts
Fine (but the star is a little confusing as it is becoming convention (Google, Dropbox...) that a blank star is made to be clicked and filled in...
Notes
The thumbnail of the last edited note may not be useful (depending on how you work) and it is taking up about 20% of the interface area. Why no option to hide it, or just show the title or show the title of the last few?

Notebooks
Again - why no option to hide the list of recently viewed?

Tags

People work with tags in many different ways - maybe hardly at all, or maybe basing their entire 'filing system' round them.

Again, why no option to hide them or just leave a header to click? The labels take up, again 20% of the interface area.

The small section underneath the tag section is for commercial purposes but fair enough... similarly the Market.

Type Quick note
I rarely, if ever use this. Sorry, but it’s the way I work. Again 20%...

All this superfluous info gives the interface a cluttered appearance (not helped by the patterned background.) I do not want to have to work at using it - I just want it to be there and be obvious. Don't Make Me Think.

And visually, the main headers do not have sufficient prominence - primarily due to competing with the clutter.

So, why not give options to hide the 'extras'? change background? Text colour?
There are other ways Evernote could spend time, like sorting out the slightly iffy text editing functionality or sorting out easy account switching on all platforms.

Thank you.

Archived