PDFs crash iOS 7 Evernote

I am also seeing Evernote crash with PDF files. Whenever I open some PDF files Evernote eventually crashes. The PDF opens, the pages are displayed across the bottom, and then Evernote vanishes. I am opening the PDF versions of MSDN magazine. You can try to reproduce the problem by download the PDF files here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee310108.aspx

I have a lot of these PDF files stored in an offline notebook. After upgrading to iOS 7 and the latest version of Evernote on the iPad I can no longer open these PDF files.

Ray

• 1 month later...

I am experiencing the same issue on an Ipad2 running IOS 7.

I am storing a multitude of different technical manuals in PDF format.

It seems certain PDF files work fine, but larger ones will crash Evernote while paging through the file.

I have tried annotating in skitch, and that has worked ok for me so far.

As far as troubleshooting goes, I opened the PDF file from Evernote into iBooks and the file works OK.

I was hoping it was because my ipad2 is a bit old, but it sounds like the new iPad mini is showing the same symptoms.

It might be some sort of limitation of the Evernote viewer since iBooks opens my files without crashing.

has anyone submitted this to Evernote support yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted a support request, but The latest Evernote update may have fixed my PDF file issues. I spent about an hour browsing through the PDF files in Evernote and it hasn't crashed yet.

Time will tell I guess...

Thanks,

Rick

• 2 months later...

I have submitted another support request on this subject. MSDN Magazine .PDF files do crash Evernote on iOS 7. The bad thing here is these PDF files also crash Dropbox, and Safari.

I believe the source of this problem is a bug in iOS 7 in some sort of shared PDF library. 

Open Safari on your iPad and go to: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee310108.aspx

download the latest issue, February. Click on the digital download link to download the PDF. Safari will crash when it tries to open the PDF.

Archived