(Archived) What if we part ways?

I've been a premium subscriber for a few years and a I love Evernote.   But as I put more and more of my life on Evernote, I wonder what will happen if I ever end my relationship with Evernote, or heaven forbid, you go out of business.

I thought all notebooks (even non-local notebooks) are kept on my computer as well as the cloud.  Will i always have access to these?

I realize this is a basic question, but I couldn't find a discussion of it.

Thanks

• Level 5*

I've been a premium subscriber for a few years and a I love Evernote. But as I put more and more of my life on Evernote, I wonder what will happen if I ever end my relationship with Evernote, or heaven forbid, you go out of business.

I thought all notebooks (even non-local notebooks) are kept on my computer as well as the cloud. Will i always have access to these?

I realize this is a basic question, but I couldn't find a discussion of it.

Thanks

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Yes. Your information is yours, and you have complete control over it. You can export your notes anytime as HTML (see the menu and give it a try). And, of course, all of the data is stored on your desktop. Depending on what you have in your notes and where you migrate to, the process can take as little as fifteen minutes (I mirror my account in nvALT on the Mac and this is about how long it takes me to move several thousand notes from Evernote into it). Admittedly, I use plain text, so the process is quicker than it might be for other people, but the principle is the same.

Thanks for the information.  I tried it.  I exported one scanned journal article.  It was 37mb.  When it was done importing, it acknowledged it exported it, and then said I had 800mb or so remaining.   Am I allowed to only export a limited number of mb of data?

Also, when I tried to open the file, it opened it in the Evernote window.  Is this an EN file forever?  I thought it would be a PDF.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the information.  I tried it.  I exported one scanned journal article.  It was 37mb.  When it was done importing, it acknowledged it exported it, and then said I had 800mb or so remaining.   Am I allowed to only export a limited number of mb of data?

Also, when I tried to open the file, it opened it in the Evernote window.  Is this an EN file forever?  I thought it would be a PDF.

Hi. Here are directions for exporting and importing notes.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/238deff9-25a8-4641-91d7-6e2bc34b7b38/a8c300aaedf2856434d9c3c772d6990d

I think what happened is that you exported as .enex and then double-clicked the file. Doing that opens the file in your account and automatically imports it. In the future, export as HTML. You will have the note appear and when you click on the link it will open the PDF from the file saved onto your hard drive. These will not open in the Evernote app, though you could drag them into it if you ever want to import them.

If you have any questions, let us know!

Archived