Easy way to create nested tags (or to nest created tags)

Edan Maor

Idea

Hi all,

I'm looking for an easy way to create nested tags.

I'm looking for either:

A way to create a new tag, and specify that it should be nested under another tag.

Or:

A way to specify that a tag should be nested under another tag, with the keyboard only.

My emphasis is on doing everything with the keyboard.

Is this currently possible in Evernote?

Thanks,

Edan

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Right click or use the track-pad equivalent on the tag header in the left panel to create a new parent tag.

Right click or use the track-pad equivalent on new parent tag in the left panel and choose "create tag in..."

You may be able to assign a function key if you don't have a track pad...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

Firstly, I'm wondering if there is a way to do all this with the keyboard.

Secondly, I'm actually not seeing either of the things you mentioned working. Right clicking on the "Tags" header in the left panel doesn't seem to give me anything. Right clicking on a specific tag only gives me the option to delete it.

Actually, I also remember the "create tag in" option, but I can't seem to find it anymore...

Any ideas?

• Level 5*

Sorry - I lept in without look at the header;  I'm talking Windows (where all that still works) but you're Mac and I don't know what's happening with that - which version are you using?  (And is that a desktop version or the web version?)

I'm talking the Mac native application, not the Web version.

I could just be misremembering this as a feature that exists from my Windows days, or the feature was accidentally dropped some time.

Either way, I'd love it if there were a keyboard-only way to do it.

As far as I know this is currently not possible. 

You can create a tag with CTRL-CMD-T but those get always positioned at the top level. Moving it under another tag can only be done with the mouse / trackpad.

I am not sure whether Evernote will ever change this, since there love for nested tags doesn't seem well established - since no nested tags are available on any mobile platform. Sad, but true!

• Level 5*

I am not sure whether Evernote will ever change this, since there love for nested tags doesn't seem well established - since no nested tags are available on any mobile platform. Sad, but true!

Nested tags are certainly available on the Android client. Unfortunately you cannot move them around in the hierarchy, at least at this time.

I agree - huge problem.  Works "correctly" on Windows platform but not on Mac or Web.

Evernote - please please please fix this!

Not sure what you're saying. To nest tags on the Windows client, you must use the mouse or trackpad to drag one tag on top of another; you cannot use the keyboard to do this. This also works on the web. I cannot testify to Mac behavior.

I am curious though -- what is the proposed keyboard only method of doing this? A copy / paste operation? That's about the closest I can come, but even so, you'd need to be able to navigate the tree with your keyboard -- I guess there's Explorer methods for that, though.

Just so you all know: You can nest tags on the Mac too. It is just not possible from the sidebar. You need to do it in the tag view (i.e. click on the Tags heading and the view will be on the right).

Once in that view you can drag on tag into another

Nested tags are certainly available on the Android client. Unfortunately you cannot move them around in the hierarchy, at least at this time.

I agree - huge problem.  Works "correctly" on Windows platform but not on Mac or Web.

Evernote - please please please fix this!

Not sure what you're saying. To nest tags on the Windows client, you must use the mouse or trackpad to drag one tag on top of another; you cannot use the keyboard to do this. This also works on the web. I cannot testify to Mac behavior.

I am curious though -- what is the proposed keyboard only method of doing this? A copy / paste operation? That's about the closest I can come, but even so, you'd need to be able to navigate the tree with your keyboard -- I guess there's Explorer methods for that, though.

I know this is old post - but in answer to question - Windows EN allows you to right click tag and directly add a subsidiary or "child" tag in the nested hierarchy.  Does involve one mouse click.  But puts tag immediately in correct taxonomy / hierarchy.

Archived