(Archived) Skitch saves and shares images in a lower quality

jwheeles

@Jason

It depends upon the method used. If you Save to Evernote, Drag to the desktop, Share a link, or send via email (and keep at actual size ) then the images should be full resolution. 

If you use any method that requires compression (iMessage (Due to SMS); Facebook; Twitter; etc) then the image will be compressed according to the requirements for that method. We have no way to control what kind of compression they impose, and in nearly all cases there is nothing we can do to even specify the size. 

ex: Messages sent via SMS (iMessage) are compressed down to a smaller size because carriers require images be very small. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

Sorry, I should have clarified that I am sharing directly through Skitch. Here is an example screenshot that shows that Skitch is compressing the image when sharing through the Skitch service: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/61a88118-7c2d-431f-a308-7279a7fbb2fe/711abb8fe6fa2092d039175d3899e807

The image is compressed even though I do not want it to be.

Here is the note that Skitch saved in Evernote: http://d.pr/i/3K3k. You can see that in Evernote the image is not compressed. Please also take notice that I am using another screen capture app call Glui combined with Droplr which does not compress screenshots!

It would be great if I could share screenshots through the Skitch/Evernote sharing service without any loss in image quality. Until Skitch makes this update I will have to use Glui/Droplr which I really do not want to do since I "live" in Evernote all day long ;)

Thanks,

Jason

Jason

I just dropped a note to our web team to find out. My suspicion is the website applies some heuristics and decides if the image is really large to display compress it for display. The actual image itself is not affected. You can see this by clicking on the image and it will reload in a new window at full resolution.

That said I tested a much smaller image than the one you posted and it appears to be at full res in the Note view as well as when I click on it. As soon as I find out what is going on I'll post and we'll see what we can do to ensure images are at the best resolution possible when in the Note view.

That said a simple work around is to click on the image and then it can be viewed at full res.

Hi Joe,

Ah, that is interesting. I am embarrassed that I didn't think to click in the image as well. If I had I would have seen the full res as well. You probably noticed that the image was huge. This is because I am on a MacBook Pro retina. That might be useful for your web team to know ;)

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

Thanks, and I'll let them know. Retina images are interesting beasts and will only get more interesting as everything goes that way. Most people don't understand that the images are twice as big (dimensions and filesize) for the same "area" captured on a 15" screen. This can come as quite a surprise to people when they see they are sending large files around or opening them up on non-retina devices. 

Archived