(Archived) Provide Premium users an additional search index to speed up searches

Search is one of the most important features in Evernote. We add lots of stuff because we want to be able to find it someday when we need it. Some of us use Evernote so much that we have 10,000+ notes in our account and when search takes quite awhile to return results, I wonder how much of that lag could be reduced by giving Premium users an additional index or separating their index off to another server os the like, to help us find our data faster. 

If you have 10,00+ notes, do you find search to be lagging? I have certainly felt that way, though I have no concrete way to assess where the latency is coming from. It could be Evernote, it could be the application, the server, or the device we're using. Whatever the case, I'd like to hear thoughts from Evernote and the community in general regarding whether this is a viable or necessary solution.

Thanks,
Jeff
  • Level 5*

Hmmm,tough call. Doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would work well with the Evernote free/premium model. Remember, you can go on and off of premium at will (on a monthly basis anyway), so what happens when you go back to the free version? Does the local Evernote client just erase the extra search index? I would hesitate to do something like that if I were Evernote.

Aside from that, it's not clear that *more* indexing would necessarily be faster. I'd be curious to know what you mean when you say "search takes quite awhile to return results". How much is awhile? Seconds? Minutes?

Search is one of the most important features in Evernote. We add lots of stuff because we want to be able to find it someday when we need it. Some of us use Evernote so much that we have 10,000+ notes in our account and when search takes quite awhile to return results, I wonder how much of that lag could be reduced by giving Premium users an additional index or separating their index off to another server os the like, to help us find our data faster. 

If you have 10,00+ notes, do you find search to be lagging? I have certainly felt that way, though I have no concrete way to assess where the latency is coming from. It could be Evernote, it could be the application, the server, or the device we're using. Whatever the case, I'd like to hear thoughts from Evernote and the community in general regarding whether this is a viable or necessary solution.

Thanks,
Jeff

You don't say what client(s) you're using.  I have over 62,000 notes in one account.   IME, the iOS app is totally unusable for this account.  (I use Clever instead but it has its own failings.)  The Windows app stalls quite often (like when clicking into a note to edit it or clicking the 'new note' button & such) & generates fatal errors on this account - but not other accounts on the same computer.  However, IME, the search itself is very speedy.  Same thing with the web client.  It generates some unresponsive script errors.  (I forget the exact verbiage but it's something like a script is not responding or something.)  But I skip over them & then perform my search & it's pretty quick.  So in summary, IME, some of the clients don't play nicely with larger accounts.  The web client is the best one for my large account.  But the search function works very quickly - like I'm talking a matter of seconds - on the Windows desktop client & the web client.  So I don't see where having a faster search function would help me. 

• Evernote Expert

If I was Evernote, I would consider his suggestion to do what it takes to make his experience faster. Because, a user who had 10000+ notes would likely be a power user who had used en for more than a year, and is less likely to go back to free account.

• Level 5*

If I was Evernote, I would consider his suggestion to do what it takes to make his experience faster. Because, a user who had 10000+ notes would likely be a power user who had used en for more than a year, and is less likely to go back to free account.

If Evernote had a viable approach that made search faster, why wouldn't they just apply it to everyone's case? Much simpler to implement, rather than special casing for premium users.
  • Level 5

I have 25,424 notes as of today. As a test, I pasted the following complex search into Evernote:
created:20130301 -created:20130331 tag:evernote tag:security crypto

It came up with the answers in less than a blink of an eye.

I am using Evernote for Windows 4.6.7.8409 (268917) Public

The only unsolved search issue I currently have is not related to speed, but to results.
http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/40975-hampered-search-capability/

Support Ticket 123755

Archived