Spellcheck on iPad

• 2 weeks later...

Having same problem. If i highlight the miss-spelled word (like I can ID them) it will suggest but it doesn't identify them proactively! Heck, even this EN sight does spellcheck on our posts! ios7 has wrecked Evernote attraction to me! UGH.

• 2 weeks later...

This problem is starting to make me a little crazy. I haven't stopped using Evernote yet. I love the product, but it it doesn't get fixed soon, I will be forced to come up with some alternatives for some of my note taking. I was determined to strictly use Evernote several months ago, but this problem is forcing me to re-think. I'm hanging in there, but hope that there is a fix very soon.

What is crazy is that when I went to type a support request for the problem, it spellchecked fine, but not in the actual notes...grrrrrrr. So frustrating!

Evernote...save us from this malady!

I didn't realize this was a problem until yesterday. I was at a conference, taking notes, and posting them to our Facebook page. I am glad I caught the misspellings before I posted. I will have to go back to using "Notes" until the problem is fixed. :-( I am really starting to not like iOS 7.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the latest response I got from a frustrated inquiry I made to Evernote. I am trying to hang in there, and am hopeful they will get it turned around. At least it was more of a response than the first time I wrote them. It is such a great app...I am trying to hang it there until they fix it...but admit I have had to rethink a couple of things.

"Thank you for contacting Evernote Support! My most sincere apologies for the delayed reply as our system may not have routed your request correctly. We apologize for the inconvenience and trouble this has caused you, however, there is currently a bug causing this.

We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead. She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead. While we do not have any specifics as to when the bug will be fixed, we are working diligently on a solution and I hope that we are able to resolve this issue before you decide to leave Evernote. Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time. Once again, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and trouble this has caused you. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best to assist you! Thanks for your consideration, continued patience, and for making Evernote a better product."

• 2 weeks later...

Had not noticed the lack of spellchecker in Evernote on iPad until today. I too hope they get this fixed. Workarounds are a bother, but they do exist:

Copying the text into a new email lets me see spelling errors.

Viewing the note through the browser on evernote.com reveals the spelling errors too, but I notice that it's not terribly easy to use the web app in Safari on the iPad. Fortunately I have a bluetooth keyboard with arrow keys.

I'm not about to stop using Evernote. It's too useful, and I don't do a lot of composition in it, but it will be nice when they get it fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe it's a problem with the app but your iPad.

iOS features learning ability so if you cancel a word that is autocorrected twice,the iOS will assume your word is the correct one.

Good thing is you can go and fix these settings.

To do this go into your iPad or iPhone settings:

Settings > General > Keyboard (to turn on or off settings)

To do this go to your iPad or iPhone settings:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

Another option is to reset your keyboard to factory settings.

Hope this helps.

Aussiebob - thanks for your suggestions.  I tried them both and still does not correct the problem.  I've seen other post and it appears others are having the same issue.  Was not sure if this is related to Evernote working on new IPAD air operating system or just the Evernote free version.

Aussiebob - thanks for your suggestions.  I tried them both and still does not correct the problem.  I've seen other post and it appears others are having the same issue.  Was not sure if this is related to Evernote working on new IPAD air operating system or just the Evernote free version.

Ill see if I can replicate this on the daughter new air .
  • 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that spell check does not work on my iPad 3rd Gen. It has nothing to do with iOS's auto correction as when using a bluetooth keyboard you still have the issue. The misspelled words do not get any indication that they are misspelled. If you tap on them a red highlight appears for a moment with the iOS spell check tooltip but then immediately disappears.

I am using an iPad air IOS version 7.0.4 with Evernote free 7.3.0.307130. I am experiencing this same frustrating issue.

I can confirm that spell check does not work on my iPad 3rd Gen. It has nothing to do with iOS's auto correction as when using a bluetooth keyboard you still have the issue. The misspelled words do not get any indication that they are misspelled. If you tap on them a red highlight appears for a moment with the iOS spell check tooltip but then immediately disappears.

I am using an iPad air IOS version 7.0.4 with Evernote free 7.3.0.307130. I am experiencing this same frustrating issue.

I found if I download Webster's dictionary (free) and use the internal keyboard, spell check now works.  If I use the bluetooth keyboard, spellcheck does not work.   It appears the issue is related to using an external keyboard.

I still have iOS 6.1.3, and the spell check underlining has never worked for me in Evernote. Just when I notice on my own a misspelling and click on that word does it then highlight it as a misspelling and provide me with suggestions. But for all you guys the underlining worked in iOS 6? How?

• 2 months later...

Adding to this:

Spellcheck still completely broken on an iPad 4 iOS 7.1.1.

According to this thread, it's been broken since last Spetember.

According to iTunes in that time there have been 13 application updates and exactly zero replies from Evernote.

I love this product but really, this is unacceptable.

I will not be renewing my subscription until spellcheck is fixed.

As I understand it, spell check is handled on a system level. Evernote itself does not have a spellcheck function.

That does not make it OK, but, this may be a case of he said she said between iOS and Evernote.

In the end I don't care. Spellcheck is a basic function of writing and it's rediculous that it is not being addressed, especially with all the silly unwanted features being showered on users and so many alternatives out there.

• 1 month later...

None of the suggestions work for me and I have the same problem on my iPhone 5s as well. As someone who just migrated over from the the now-dead Springpad, this is a pretty simple requirment that should just work. Right now, I create a note in Evernote, paste into the Note app on my iPad/iPhone, scroll through word by word, make corrections and paste back into Evernote. Epic fail if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue, but not just in Evernote - spellcheck doesn't work anywhere on my iPad Air even though I've verified that it's turned on in Settings. Read on another forum that deleting and reinstalling the Gmail app worked for some folks, but not for me.

None of the suggestions work for me and I have the same problem on my iPhone 5s as well. As someone who just migrated over from the the now-dead Springpad, this is a pretty simple requirment that should just work. Right now, I create a note in Evernote, paste into the Note app on my iPad/iPhone, scroll through word by word, make corrections and paste back into Evernote. Epic fail if you ask me.

Use this: http://lifehacker.com/migrate-your-data-from-evernote-to-onenote-with-this-to-1560885406

• 1 month later...

Dear Evernote,

I really love Evernote.  I want to use it more. I want to go premium - but I want to mainly use it on my iPad air.  I finally found out why spell check does not work on my iPad with Evernote - because Evernote does not support spell check on Mobile devices:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/28671563

The "workaround" - to spell check the note on a Mac or PC is inconvenient to say the least.

Unfortunately, I think this means I will abandon Evernote.  This is sad, but the native notes app in iPad/iPhone/Mac OS X will now sync notes across all devices via iCloud.

Yes, this means it only works on apple devices - but that's my ecosystem, so I'm OK.

I really, really, really wish spell check was supported on iPad (mobile devices).

Until it is supported, I'm afraid I'm one sad, ex-Evernote user.

Cheers,

Josh

• Level 5*

Evernote tend not to share their release plans until a new version comes out,  but a spell-check is such a basic feature that I'd expect it won't be too long - mind you we thought that about reminders and that system took a few years to emerge..  Like I (frequently) say;  if it was easy I'm sure Evernote would have done it already - watch the blog for future updates...

• 4 weeks later...

just curious has anyone experiencing this issue upgraded to version 8 and if so did it resolve the spell check issue?    And if ios8 did correct this problem, were there any new issues created with the new os?  I been hearing a lot of people complain about ios8.

Spellcheck for Evernote STOPPED working with any sense of ease 4-5 IOS updates ago. Massive ugh. What a great app and such a stupid problem.

I've also been frustrated with spell check not working for the last many Evernote updates. I also use an external keyboard, but see it on multiple systems. iPad air, iPad Mini (before Retina), iPod Touch 4th generation - it doesn't work on any of them (with a different keyboard for each of these devices). I was about to contact Evernote about it, but see that it has already been widely discussed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chiming in - I have stopped using Evernote but would love to go back to it.

I have a little paid-for app on my iPad called Recipe Box, in theory maintained by a very small developer - and it has spell check when I am in edit mode to type in recipes. I find it odd why Evernote offers no explanation for such a basic feature - and one that is SO useful, for Notes!!!!

The latest on spell check...

Thank you so much for your patience. Spell check is not available on either iOS 7 or 8 due to limitations in the framework allowed by Apple. When typing in the iOS 8 keyboard, the keyboard will suggest options to you as you type, but then it will not underline if you skip over the suggested spelling.
Apple allows Evernote to include autocomplete suggestions while typing and autocorrections while typing. However, we do not have access to the red underlining of text.

Not sure if the latest post was from Evernote?  It is attributed to the originator of this string.  The lack of spell check for iOS renders Evernote as the biggest disappointment in App World.  And it completely takes any thoughts of an upgrade to EN professional off the radar.  Heck, even this "discussion" site performs spell check.  

• 1 month later...

While I like EN the lack of some basic feature/function is confusing. Spell check is an example of a basic function available on text boxes for well over a decade, but missing on EN.

A second strange area is on basic text formatting. It's easy to confuse EN if you use bullets of varying indent.

It seems they're trying to branch out to other areas (e.g., work chat) that are unlikely to be successful at the expense of adding the fit and finish to make their core product first rate.

Evernote blames Apple and there may be issues with the Apple API's but somehow almost every other app has figured out how to provide spell check with a Bluetooth keyboard. Come on Evernote.

So I just tried Notability which my kid has switched to and sure enough they support spell check just fine with my Bluetooth keyboard. I'm used to and comfortable with Evenote but three years without a fix is pushing my patience.

• 1 year later...

I am an avid Evernote user. I use it for basically everything. I love it! Just wanted to check in and see if progress has been made here?

I can tell Evernote knows the dictionary because if you highlight a mis-spelled word in my iPhone 5 it shows the red underline and it flashes up the correct spelling. However, it flashed it so fast it is impossible to select it. I couldn't even capture it on a screen shot. 

Has anyone figured out a work around? Is everyone seeing the same thing? Thanks!!

image.png

Archived