Tag search not working on Windows desktop version

spozzie

Hi everyone

Has anyone experienced the tag search not working properly in the latest Windows desktop version? When I type into the search field then click on a tag in the tag area, the results returned are actually a word search for the words in the tag phrase rather than a search for notes with the tag. Anyone else experiencing this?

Steve

• Level 5*

Not really seeing this, but I'm not exactly sure I'm repeating what you're doing. Are both typing in the search field and adding a (differently named) tag at the same time? Is that making an  'AND' search with those two terms for you? What does the Search Explanation say?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Again, I am not understanding the exact scenario. What I did:

* typed a word search into the search control, e.g. "balloon". This, as expected, finds all notes that contain text that begins with "balloon", notes with title text that begins with "balloon", and notes that have tags that begin with "balloon".

* then I click on a tag in the tag tree, e.g. "Bugzilla": this replaces the prior search with a search for notes with the tag "Bugzilla", and as expected, works.

So I am not seeing the problem, but without additional clarification, I cannot guarantee that I am using the same procedure to replicate what others are seeing.

I have the same problem, It was working correctly on another computer, but not this one. Here is a screen shot (with confidential info blacked out):

vzPSK7R.png

I typed in "rev" to find my "review" tag. The tag is listed in the tag list and has 12 notes. I have it selected. Now, if I click on this, it should do a search just for the "review" tag. Instead, my search is still just the "rev" that I have actually typed in.

Yup, I reported this to Evernote tech support last week... they are still investigating.  This is a huge problem as I rely heavily on tag searching.  It's impossible to manually dig up a single note in over 10,000. 

• Level 5*

As I am not seeing the "Tag" section of the dropdown on either of my two Windows machines, I can't replicate this. One thing, though: if you just do a plain text search fo r, e.g., "review", it should fine notes tagged with "review" (as well as notes that contain "review" and whose titles contain "review"). This may not narrow the filtering down enough for you, but it's not a widely known fact.

Doesn't work for me either. When I'm searching for tag "Internet", and let's say I type only the first portion of the word "inter" into the search bar, this is what I see:

Evernote_SearchBar.jpg

When I select the "Internet" tag (or click it), this is the result:

Evernote_SearchResults.jpg

As you can see, instead of searching for documents tagged with the tag:Internet, or at least searching with the tag's full name "Internet", the search was performed with only what I typed into the search bar "inter", possibly matching documents containing words like "international", "interstellar", "interface", even "interesting". To me, this is clearly a bug.

Temporary workaround for users that want to search by tags, either type "tag:Internet" - full textual representation, which frankly is annoying, or by pressing Shift+Alt+T to initiate tag search, which works.

• Level 5*

As you can see, instead of searching for documents tagged with the tag:Internet, or at least searching with the tag's full name "Internet", the search was performed with only what I typed into the search bar "inter", possibly matching documents containing words like "international", "interstellar", "interface", even "interesting". To me, this is clearly a bug.

Temporary workaround for users that want to search by tags, either type "tag:Internet" - full textual representation, which frankly is annoying, or by pressing Shift+Alt+T to initiate tag search, which works.

I think that the "Tag" section is just meant to show tags that match (including a "contains" match), but selecting one does not add a tag: search term to your filter. That's a bit confusing, to say the least. But the upshot is that this is not creating a tag search (as indicated by the search explanation panel), and proper tag searching does not appear to be broken. You'll need to use "tag:myTag" for that, or select tags off of the search panel (where is says "Click to filter by tag").

OTOH, that dropdown could probably use some work.

• Level 5*

I am having the exact same problem.

@jefito The tag section should work as others expect and it did in early beta versions of evernote 5. The feature broke and has been broken for several weeks now, very frustrating.

That's a bit confusing, to say the least.

<snip>

OTOH, that dropdown could probably use some work.

I think we agree.

@jefito The tag section should work as others expect and it did in early beta versions of evernote 5. The feature broke and has been broken for several weeks now, very frustrating.

+1 for the bug and what he said.

This feature actually works fine in the current Mac version (5.3)

+1 for the bug and what he said.

This feature actually works fine in the current Mac version (5.3)

+1. This bug is killing me. 

• Level 5*

Another view.  

1. I do an all notes search for "ng".  
  2. The result say 2611 notes.
  3. When I hit enter after "ng", the search suggestion drop down stays on the screen, why is that?  I'm done with search, time to work with the resulting notes, not click on the screen to remove the drop down.  Problem.
  4. If I select a tag from the search suggestion drop down (all obviously have "ng" in them) I do get the 66 notes for that tag in my view.
  5. However, the search explanation is "Viewing 66 notes from all notebooks matching all ...words starting with "ng" tagged with NG18955".  Why is the ng kept, I selected a tag.  Problem.
  6. If I select a suggested note from the drop down, I get one note in my view and the search explanation matches.  No problem. 

Seems to me that if I select a tag from the recommendations in the search bar, the recommendation should become the search and not be a compound search of whatever I entered and the tag I selected.  Also seems to me if I hit enter in the search field, that ought to be it and the drop down should go away.  IMHO, not the most intuitive flow for a search box, maybe to the point of being wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

This is still not fixed in the latest beta and I still haven't heard anyone from evernote actually acknowledge that this is broken. Maybe they should read Rework and take to heart that they need to Own your bad news.

As this is primarily a user forum, you shouldn't expect that Evernote staff will post here in response to issues, even though they sometimes do. I do wish that they did participate more here, but that's not their practice. In general, I do find that where there are bugs and they do post about them, they do accept responsibility for them. You might get such an admission if you open a support request for this, if that's what you really want.

• 2 weeks later...

So... it's been over six weeks since this problem was reported and no fix has been issued.   This is becoming highly problematic for me and my 10,000+ notes which I need to be able to search through easily. 

• 4 weeks later...

+1 to get this bug fixed. The most annoying thing here is that it impacts pretty much all Windows users for months and Evernote does not even communicate on a bug fix date. We feel a bit left alone.... <Rant>, <rant>

1 workaround is too use directly the tag filter icon but it kills the "Save your note once and find it later in the mess" idea. You now need to search at 1 place for text, then another place for tags.... Simplicity, where did you go?

post-105271-0-92435000-1385921162.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I wouldn't say that Evernote is entirely ignoring bug fixes. Their release notes (admittedly a little skimpy, as is their practice) for the Win 5 releases, including betas:

Evernote for Windows 5.1.0.2046 RC Release Notes
  • Fixes:
    • Fixed issue with page down on notelist
    • Fixed improper search highlighting issue
    • Fixed shared notebook sync error
    • Fixed recent search selection issue
    • Fixed numerous markup issues
Evernote for Windows 5.1.0.1926 Beta 2 Release Notes
  • Fixes:
    • Fix for Markup component being caught in anti-virus software
    • Fixed crash when exiting markup
    • Fixed for improper save after pixellate & crop tools
    • Fix for enscript exportNotes from notebook name with spaces
    • Error handling for importing large notes
    • Fix for 2FA & xAuth via enscript
    • Fix for Related Notes causing slow performance
    • Numerous other fixes
Evernote for Windows 5.1.0.1869 Beta 1 Release Notes
  • Improvements:
    • Introducing Markup integration
    • Markup images without leaving Evernote
    • Hover over an image to see the markup icon. Click to markup
    • Quicker sync when copying Note URL on a brand new note
    • Improved error handling for ScanSnap scans exceeding note size limits
  • Fixes:
    • Numerous bug fixes
Evernote for Windows 5.0.3.1559 RC Release Notes
  • Fixes:
    • Fix for toolbar customizations being lost
    • Fix for clicking on email address in Evernote Business Home leading to an offline error message
    • Misc bug fixes
Evernote for Windows 5.0.2.1392 GA Release Notes
  • Introducing Evernote Business 2.0
    • Business Home makes your company smarter than ever
      • Get to know your members of your business and learn about their recent activity by browsing their profiles
      • Discover notebooks and notes published by your coworkers, find popular notebooks and top contributors
      • Search and browse notes in every Business Notebook you have access to and preview notes before you join notebooks
    • Expertise Discovery: searching your notes also searches your business for related people and shared notes
    • Convert personal notebooks to business notebooks
  • Fixes:
  • Fixes for misc crashes
  • Fix for full names showing in the Share Bar
  • Fix for business tags not being suggested
  • Bug fixes for sync errors
  • Fix for Atlas not opening properly
  • Numerous other bug fixes
Evernote for Windows 5.0.1.1188 GA Release Notes
  • Improvements:
    • Able to multiselect tags with ctrl+click
    •  
  • Fixes:
    • Fix for notelinks across different notebooks
    • Fix for downsyncing Shortcuts
    • "Click to add tag" works on single click
    • Improved keyboard entry for Jump to Tags feature
    • Visual improvements on high DPI
    • Misc bug fixes
Evernote for Windows 5.0.0.1137 GA Release Notes
  • Improvements:
    • Shortcuts give you quick access to Notes, Notebooks, Tags & Saved Searches
    • Beautiful new Card view to browse your notes
    • New ways to view & organize your content
    • Atlas helps you rediscover all the palces you've been
    • Smarter search with TypeAhead suggestions and filters
    • Adding a reminder pins the note to the top of your note list
    • Get Reminder notifications for notes in shared notebooks
    • Get the latest news and updates from Evernote in the new Announcements section
    • Business users can convert personal notebooks to business notebooks
    • Highlighter tool for highlighting text within a note
    • New Sharebar appears on notes that are in shared notebooks
    • Keyboard shortcuts
      • Keyboard shortcuts
      • Jump to notebooks (Shift+Alt+N)
      • Jump to Tags (Shift+Alt+T)
      • Jump to your first 10 Shortcuts in the left sidebar (Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+0)
    •  
  • Fixes:
    • Numerous bug fixes
Evernote for Windows 5.0.0.1051 Release Notes
  • Improvements:
    • Announcements can be viewed offline
    • Reminders within a notebook can be reordered
    • Highlighter tool for highlighting text within a note
    • New Sharebar appears on notes that are in shared notebooks
  • Fixes:
    • Bug fixes for keyboard naviation in snippet view
    • Bug fixes for converting personal notebooks to business notebooks
Evernote for Windows 5.0.0.980 Beta 2 hotfix Release Notes
  • Fixes:
    • Reminder count now displays correctly
    • Reminder today/tomorrow display is fixed
    • Reminder date/time and calendar positioning improved
    • Reminders added to the search grammar
Evernote for Windows 5.0.0.964 Beta 2 Release Notes
  • Improvements:
    • Reminders Beta 1
      • Adding a reminder pins the note to the top of your note list
      • Mark notes as Done when you complete them
      • See reminders and get notifications for notes in shared notebooks
      • Reminders appear above the notelist in card view and snippet view
      • Reminders can be quickly marked as done in the snippet view & card view
      • Reminder preferences under Tools >> Options
      • Known issue: Reminders do not show up in List view
      • Known issue: Unable to reorder Reminders in a notebook
    • Get the latest news and updates from Evernote in the new Announcements section
      • Announcements can be saved to your Evernote account for future reference
    • Business users can convert personal notebooks to business notebooks
    • Keyboard shortcuts
      • Keyboard shortcuts
      • Jump to notebooks (Shift+Alt+N)
      • Jump to Tags (Shift+Alt+T)
      • Jump to your first 10 Shortcuts in the left sidebar (Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+0)
    • Known Issues
      • Keyboard navigation in Card view and Snippet view
      • Users unable to separate business and personal notebooks
  • Fixes:
    • Fix for Shortcuts not syncing
    • Fix for maximizing the Evernote window
    • Numerous bug fixes
Evernote for Windows 5.0.0.782 Beta 1 Release Notes
  • Improvements:
    • Shortcuts give you quick access to Notes, Notebooks, Tags & Saved Searches
    • Beautiful new Card view to browse your notes
    • New ways to view & organize your content
    • Atlas helps you rediscover all the palces you've been
    • Smarter search with TypeAhead suggestions and filters
  • Fixes:
    • Misc bug fixes

Seems to be a mix of new features and bug fixes, from my reading, and about par for the course, from my experience, but they are fixing bugs. Maybe not everybody's favorite bugs; everybody has their own favorites, right? I sure do. But you're welcome -- even encouraged  -- to make your own judgements, of course.

I wouldn't say that Evernote is entirely ignoring bug fixes. Their release notes (admittedly a little skimpy, as is their practice) for the Win 5 releases, including betas:

Seems to be a mix of new features and bug fixes, from my reading, and about par for the course, from my experience, but they are fixing bugs. Maybe not everybody's favorite bugs; everybody has their own favorites, right? I sure do. But you're welcome -- even encouraged  -- to make your own judgements, of course.

Tag searching is one of the main features of evernote. Without it (or with it broken) evernote stops being useful. Should it really take MONTHS to fix something that was working for years?  I understand there are other bugs that need to be fixed, but we're talking about priorities here.  

• Level 5*

Tag searching is one of the main features of evernote. Without it (or with it broken) evernote stops being useful. Should it really take MONTHS to fix something that was working for years?  I understand there are other bugs that need to be fixed, but we're talking about priorities here.

Tag searching still works; unfortunately, that aspect of the search control doesn't work the way I and others want it to. I don't run afoul of it that often so its less of a big deal to me than to others. Aside from that, I don't know Evernote's priorities, and neither do you, and neither do we know what issues are in Evernote's bug list, so yes, it can take months to get to a particular issue. My priorities are not your priorities are not Evernote's priorities.

The assertion was made, though, that Evernote is not fixing bugs, which seems evidently false, given the release notes.

Tag searching still works; unfortunately, that aspect of the search control doesn't work the way I and others want it to. I don't run afoul of it that often so its less of a big deal to me than to others. Aside from that, I don't know Evernote's priorities, and neither do you, and neither do we know what issues are in Evernote's bug list, so yes, it can take months to get to a particular issue. My priorities are not your priorities are not Evernote's priorities.

Tag searching doesn't work as intended and the workarounds aren't efficient or practical.

The priority for Evernote should be at least to make sure their major selling points are working, and tagging is one of them.

They sold the idea of using Evernote as a digital brain to store all our information. Currently, Evernote has alzheimer's and as a paid customer,I've lost a huge part of Evernote's functionality in the past several months.

• Level 5*

Tag searching doesn't work as intended and the workarounds aren't efficient or practical.

OK, to spell it out: tag search, the part that uses the Evernote search language does indeed work. I can type in tag searches all day long that work perfectly. There is an aspect of the search control that feeds the search is problematic, however: it makes searches that are most likely not what the user intended.

The priority for Evernote should be at least to make sure their major selling points are working, and tagging is one of them.

Tagging and tag search do indeed work. I use them all the time. What neither of us know is how they form their priorities, because neither of us know what their bug list is, or how they set priorities.

They sold the idea of using Evernote as a digital brain to store all our information. Currently, Evernote has alzheimer's and as a paid customer,I've lost a huge part of Evernote's functionality in the past several months.

You didn't lose it in this case, because the search control that we're talking about here never existed in the first place. You did lose the "Show/hide unassigned tags" bit, which many people miss. You did gain a way to do that sort of filtering though, but it's a little obscure -- I know how to use it, but I generally don't (nor do I make much use of the control under discussion here, for that matter).
  • Level 5

Search is Evernote's lifeblood.

I agree with the other posters. Two weeks ago, I upgraded to from 4.7 to the current version 5.03

In my opinion, Evernote's search capability (hesitancy, speed, UI, and overall results) have taken a significant step backwards.

I don't know why you're not acknowledging that there is a problem - Evernote has confirmed with me through their tech support that there is a bug causing this problem (Oct 16, 2013), but they still haven't fixed it. 

Tagging and tag search do indeed work. I use them all the time. What neither of us know is how they form their priorities, because neither of us know what their bug list is, or how they set priorities.

Again, it doesn't work, and they know that.   I don't know what their priorities are (perhaps selling those nice backpacks they keep emailing me about), but they SHOULD make it a priority to make the software work as intended.  Nobody is asking for a new feature, just something that worked as it did before the bug started in October, 2013.

You didn't lose it in this case, because the search control that we're talking about here never existed in the first place. You did lose the "Show/hide unassigned tags" bit, which many people miss. You did gain a way to do that sort of filtering though, but it's a little obscure -- I know how to use it, but I generally don't (nor do I make much use of the control under discussion here, for that matter).

<sigh>... it did exist and it no longer works properly. 

There are a few threads which already detail what the exact problem is, and for some users (including myself), this bug makes Evernote far less useful. 

Yeah, I messed up the quote... my reply should still be coherent. 

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth... 

I get this "Tag search not working on Windows desktop version" bug, too - it's annoying / frustrating. And Evernote have known about it since October? 

I also agree with JBenson2: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42921-tag-search-not-working-on-windows-desktop-version/page-2#entry248260

"Evernote's search capability (hesitancy, speed, UI, and overall results) have taken a significant step backwards." - especially on Android.

If anyone from Evernote is reading this, please fix the tag bug if you can. Many thanks.

• Level 5

If anyone from Evernote is reading this, please fix the tag bug if you can. Many thanks.

Yes, the lack of response from Evernote staff can be frustrating. I switched to utilizing the Evernote Support path. That avenue assures me that an Evernote employee is looking at my issue.

With all the customers Evernote has worldwide, I would expect an Evernote employee would monitor the forum every day (including weekends and holidays) for these types of flash-point issues. After all, this entire forum (covering all topics) only averages 24 new topics/day. That should be manageable.

A simple short response from staff indicating they are working on a solution would go a long way to tamping down these sort of unanswered questions that drag on for weeks. (on this subject over 3 months with no comment from Evernote)

Kudos to Jefito - he is doing a yeoman's job of filling in for the M.I.A. Evernote team.

+1 to fix this bug sooner than later.  I just got a response from Evernote chat regarding this.  

"After further research, the Windows client is functioning as designed" is part of the response I got, and he said Windows functions differently than a Mac, but they will pass along this information to the developers.  

This was very frustrating for me as well, and has been since October.  I'm considering going back to version 4 until this is working properly.  I am having a hard time searching through notes without it since I have so many tags and only a couple notebooks with thousands of notes in each.  I'm losing faith that it will be resolved any time soon, and in order to function better at work, I'll revert back to 4 for the time being.

+1 to fix this bug sooner than later.  I just got a response from Evernote chat regarding this.  

"After further research, the Windows client is functioning as designed" is part of the response I got, and he said Windows functions differently than a Mac, but they will pass along this information to the developers.  

Whoa, whoa... EN is saying that this obvious error is how it's SUPPOSED to work?  That can't be right.  You've got to be pretty empty in the brain-pan to have a drop-down that doesn't activate the drop-down selections.  Also, remember that EN 4 had the drop-down folder and tag options, which were eliminated in EN 5, in favor of the single search box. Great idea if it worked like it was supposed to. 

This a terribly inconvenient error.  My use of EN has dropped significantly because of it.   And EN, if you can't fix it, at LEAST bring back the tag and folder dropdowns from EN 4.  

• Level 5*

Whoa, whoa... EN is saying that this obvious error is how it's SUPPOSED to work? That can't be right. You've got to be pretty empty in the brain-pan to have a drop-down that doesn't activate the drop-down selections. Also, remember that EN 4 had the drop-down folder and tag options, which were eliminated in EN 5, in favor of the single search box. Great idea if it worked like it was supposed to.

It does activate the tag selection that's chosen there (maximum of one tag, so far as I can tell; I think that this should be additive to the current search instead), but it also leaves the text that you typed as part of the search, which is what people seem to be objecting to -- I think that that's awkward, but realizing that a straight text search also matches against tags and titles anyways, I figure it's mostly harmless, unless I've missed some scenario that doesn't work.

This a terribly inconvenient error.  My use of EN has dropped significantly because of it.   And EN, if you can't fix it, at LEAST bring back the tag and folder dropdowns from EN 4.

Evernote does have tag and notebook dropdowns. They're located on the search control that's at the head of the note list. Notebook dropdown is on the left side, the tag dropdown is activated using the tag icon on the right side, next to the view selector.

I've flagged this bug with Evernote Support. After re-installing the software as requested, the bug is still there. Support says of re-installing Evernote:  "Let me know if this does not solve the issue. I will be happy to pass this issue to our Development Team!"

• Level 5*

I've flagged this bug with Evernote Support. After re-installing the software as requested, the bug is still there. Support says of re-installing Evernote:  "Let me know if this does not solve the issue. I will be happy to pass this issue to our Development Team!"

This is something a simple reinstall was never going to fix. It exists in the released version of Evernote, and won't be fixed until the developers actually fix it. The developers already know about this, because Evernote employee gbarry flagged for them on 12/30 and told us so, just 5 posts above this one (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42921-tag-search-not-working-on-windows-desktop-version/?p=251802).

Hi Jeff,

I know the developers have been notified, but I found it interesting that the advice issued by Support does not reflect this. 

Many thanks for the time you take replying to lots of these posts.

• Level 5*

Hi Jeff,

I know the developers have been notified, but I found it interesting that the advice issued by Support does not reflect this. 

Many thanks for the time you take replying to lots of these posts.

Yeah, sometimes there are crossed wires between what support knows and what the developers know. It shouldn't be, of course, but it's been like that at any place I've worked, too. Presumably, they all feed the same bug/issue list, so it should all work out eventually, but detecting and weeding out duplicates can be a pain.

The reinstall could have just been a standard-operating-procedure that's usually the first step in issue determination; that person may not actually know about the issue in question or realize that it's what you described to them. Support's a tough business, I sure couldn't do it. I'll stick to the development end of things. :)

I also find this bug annoying, and have opened a support ticket. The result of the ticket is that Evernote has acknowledged the issue as a bug and have passed it on to their developers.

In the meantime, I've found that if you set the search option to "Search Current Context" instead of "Search All Notes," then selecting a tag from the drop down *does* add the tag to your search. Of course, it also adds whatever partial text you've typed, but this is at least relatively easy to remove. This workaround has at least made this bug less annoying to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's update (5.1.1.2334) didn't fix the bug.  

Skodai's suggestion to change the search option to "Search Current Context" is a temporary fix, but I'm still not understanding why this hasn't been fixed yet (it's been over three months now).  

• Level 5*

I think this has now been fixed in the latest update. If I'm right... thanks Evernote!

It hasn't been fixed in the latest update.

Agree with ctsr, not even close.  If context is set to current, you can select a tag but the text you type before you select the tag stays a part of the search box.  If you are in all notes context you can't even select the tag.  So not better at all.  My experience anyway.  Have to use workarounds to find things.

Editorial.  I, as others, am wondering how this error has lasted as long as it has in a product which prides itself on finding anything seamlessly.  The seamlessly needs some work.  Just sayin'.....

I am using 5.1.2334 of Evernote for Windows in Windows 8.

When I search a weird thing is happening.

I type moun and a suggested search for mountain dulcimer tablature in tags comes up. I click on it, but the search only comes up with moun instead of the full search. When I click on mountain dulcimers in the search, it searches for mountain dulcimers, So the problem seems to be just in the tags section of the search. Anyone else having this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

A search on Evernote for Windows Desktop still gives different search results as the same search on the online version Evernote Web (evernote.com). The 'tag: *keyword*' syntax still doesn't work properly on Evernote for Windows Desktop. I get less results in Windows Desktop. The latest release 5.1.2.2387 did not solve this problem for me.

A search on Evernote for Windows Desktop still gives different search results as the same search on the online version Evernote Web (evernote.com). The 'tag: *keyword*' syntax still doesn't work properly on Evernote for Windows Desktop. I get less results in Windows Desktop. The latest release 5.1.2.2387 did not solve this problem for me.

AGAIK, there is no issue with searching on tags. There is no space after tag:

• Level 5*

Not sure what your search is intended to find. If the literal text between the single quotes ('tag: *keyword*') is your search, then it has a couple of problems for the Evernote search language:

1. the objects if a tag: search should come immediately after the 'tag:' term, without spaces
  2. Use of wildcard ('*') must come at the end of any search string; prefix '*' or embedded '*' will not be recognized as a wildcard. 

Thanks for the replies :) .  I used it without the spaces but I was using the wildcard as a prefix. Now I understand wildcard-prefix is not possible. It is a pity. Although the wildcard as a prefix 'tag:*keyword' is working for me on Evernote Web. Now I understand that this should not be working on Evernote Web too.

I want to find notes that have specific keywords in their tags. This cannot be done If I can only use the wildcard at the end of a search string. Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks for the replies :) .  I used it without the spaces but I was using the wildcard as a prefix. Now I understand wildcard-prefix is not possible. It is a pity. Although the wildcard as a prefix 'tag:*keyword' is working for me on Evernote Web. Now I understand that this should not be working on Evernote Web too.

I want to find notes that have specific keywords in their tags. This cannot be done If I can only use the wildcard at the end of a search string. Any ideas how to solve this?

Rename your tags so that the fixed part is in the beginning, like this: 'tag:keyword*'.

• Level 5*

Rename your tags so that the fixed part is in the beginning, like this: 'tag:keyword*'.

One problem with this is that some people encode their tag hierarchies in their tag names. That is, given a tag hierarchy of:

A

B1

C1

C2

B2

D1

D2

They create tag names like "A", "A-B2", "A-B1-C2", etc. This has utility in that it allows you to search hierarchically (e.g. tag:"A-B1*" returns all notes tagged with A-B1, A-B1-C1, and A-B1-C2), but it doesn't work so well with arbitrary wildcarding.

• 4 weeks later...

Searching for a tag, seeing it listed in the search results, and then clicking on it to filter the list of notes on the left to only those with that tag still doesn't work even with the newly released 5.2.0.2946.

Here is a Video of the issue:

The video's pretty blurry, particularly after the first few seconds, and it's hard to see exactly what's going on...

It's clear on my end and I can see all the text without any issues.  It illustrates again that this feature is still broken :(

The video's pretty blurry, particularly after the first few seconds, and it's hard to see exactly what's going on...

I have to admit I watched the video three times.  And still couldn't figure out what the poster was trying to convey.

And yeah, it's blurry.

I have to admit I watched the video three times.  And still couldn't figure out what the poster was trying to convey.

And yeah, it's blurry.

It's showing the bug being discussed in THIS three page thread!  The one brought up by the op back in September : http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42921-tag-search-not-working-on-windows-desktop-version/?p=229061

• Level 5*

And yeah, it's blurry.

It's showing the bug being discussed in THIS three page thread!  The one brought up by the op back in September : http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42921-tag-search-not-working-on-windows-desktop-version/?p=229061

It's still blurry. I already understand the issue that's been reported and I don't need a video for that. I watched this one to check that it was showing an issue that's related to the original issue, but I couldn't really tell, because it's blurry (it's sharp at the outset, but from about 6 seconds in, it goes fuzzy). If it was important enough for CMagnuson to make a video, then I'd hope that it's worth it to him to know that the video may have problems (it might be a machine thing; it's hard to tell).

And yeah, it's blurry.

It's still blurry. I already understand the issue that's been reported and I don't need a video for that. I watched this one to check that it was showing an issue that's related to the original issue, but I couldn't really tell, because it's blurry (it's sharp at the outset, but from about 6 seconds in, it goes fuzzy). If it was important enough for CMagnuson to make a video, then I'd hope that it's worth it to him to know that the video may have problems (it might be a machine thing; it's hard to tell).

In all fairness, if you download the video, it's not blurry - perhaps you guys are experiencing a problem with youtube buffering.

Here's a screenshot of what the video looks like 2 seconds in (and it remains at this quality through the entire video)... 

vlcsnap-2014-03-05-13h15m44s94.png

Looks pretty darn clear to me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed version 5.3.0.3188 (271188) Prerelease and this bug appears to be fixed. After clicking or selecting tag from the search dropdown, the corresponding tag is being correctly added as tag filter.

Agreed. Working properly on both of my computers. I almost forgot how nice it is to be able to just start typing tag names and then choose them from the dropdown. :-)

Just installed version 5.3.0.3188 (271188) Prerelease and this bug appears to be fixed. After clicking or selecting tag from the search dropdown, the corresponding tag is being correctly added as tag filter.

FINALLY!  Evernote has become useful again.  :D

• Level 5*

It's been doing that for awhile. I think that what's been at issue is that previously when you did that, after it added tag you chose to the current filter, it left the partial tag name that you'd typed in the search control, which was disconcerting to some folks.

It's been doing that for awhile. I think that what's been at issue is that previously when you did that, after it added tag you chose to the current filter, it left the partial tag name that you'd typed in the search control, which was disconcerting to some folks.

This is incorrect. Before the fix, after clicking on the tag-suggestion in search dropdown only the typed text was added as a full-text filter but it didn't add the actual tag as a filter nor did it perform search for the entire tag name (let alone search for documents tagged with that tag). It only searched for the typed partial tag name as string, which includes all notes tagged with the [clicked/selected] tag, but also many other notes that contain only the typed text.

Refer to my post on the first page, please, and take a look at the screenshots: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42921-tag-search-not-working-on-windows-desktop-version/?p=232982

There is no tag filter after selecting tag from the search dropdown, only "word filter" with the partially typed tag name. Notes not tagged by "Internet" tag were also returned by the search (I tested this), which was the bug.

I see that you repeatedly wrote that you were unable to reproduce this bug on your machine(s). This I cannot explain but it definitely wasn't working for me and for other people, too. Maybe you misunderstood what the bug was about. I wasn't using prerelease version back then, but I am for couple of weeks now and this bug was still reproducible not so long ago on prerelease version.

• Level 5*

Jeff,

It was more than just disconcerting.  Here is the sequence of what used to happen, actual example::

1. Begin typing in the search box - "stat"
  2. Below all notes the result displays Viewing 10263 notes ....
  3. The tag "Statement" appears in the search drop down showing 2198 notes
  4. Click on the "Statement" tag and the results returned would be 10263 notes and the search box would display the tag "Statement" with the text "stat"
  5. In my view, not the correct result.

When I do the above now and click on the "Statement" tag I get the 2198 notes I expect,  Hopefully this helps in understanding why this felt more like a bug than an inconvenience.   

• Level 5*

I see that you repeatedly wrote that you were unable to reproduce this bug on your machine(s). This I cannot explain but it definitely wasn't working for me and for other people, too. Maybe you misunderstood what the bug was about. I wasn't using prerelease version back then, but I am for couple of weeks now and this bug was still reproducible not so long ago on prerelease version.

It took me awhile to understand be able to reproduce the original problem (can't remember what I did to enable the behavior), but I could see (and said) that the dropdown had problems after a bit. I'm pretty sure that I remember that things changed such that the tag would get added to the search, but the text remained, and also pretty sure that I reported it, in a different topic, but I could be wrong about that.

Anyhow, I'm glad it's fixed now; I never thought that it was a good thing to retain the typed text after a selection from the dropdown was made. Makes more sense now: go forth and search!

• 1 month later...

I am so happy this is finally fixed!

I have finally been able to upgrade my team all to the latest version of evernote. They had been hanging back on the older version 4 because this feature worked there but hasn't worked in version 5 until this latest update.

Thank you Evernote!

Archived