iOS7 Internal note Linking gone?

• Level 5*

What happened to note Linking? This was such an amazing part of this app... Now, with the upgrade to iOS7 and the updated app, it appears to be gone! Yikes. Please someone tell me how to get it back! Quick.

Hi. We never had note linking in iOS. You could use note links created on a desktop, but you couldn't create them. Are you unable to use existing ones?

Weird that you are not the first to say this, because i was linking ALL kinds of persoanl notes to one another on September 18th on my i Pad. There was a little icon that looked like an arrow, i clicked it and it would copy note link then. Would highlight some text in another note and there was an icon i could click and it would let me paste the note link. It worked awesome, i swear it was there on Sept 18th (before i upgraded to ios7 and the new version of evernote)... Does anyone have screen shots of an evernote NOTE from an i pad before this upgrade? i will point out the icons I was using.

Weird that you are not the first to say this, because i was linking ALL kinds of persoanl notes to one another on September 18th on my i Pad. There was a little icon that looked like an arrow, i clicked it and it would copy note link then. Would highlight some text in another note and there was an icon i could click and it would let me paste the note link. It worked awesome, i swear it was there on Sept 18th (before i upgraded to ios7 and the new version of evernote)... Does anyone have screen shots of an evernote NOTE from an i pad before this upgrade? i will point out the icons I was using.

Note linking certainly existed and it is certainly gone with the new update.

I have used this a lot too, especially linking to pdfs in other applications (Goodreader)

Please reintroduce this feature.

• Level 5*

I think what you are describing is not internal note linking. There was a "copy" option that would produce a note link to a shared note. If you shared that with others, they could look at your note. If you type sharedate:* into the ssearch field you should get a list of notes for which you have created these links.

There are workarounds to create internal note links if you would like. You can still create the shared note links by pressing the square with the up-arrow (3rd from the right) and choosing to copy the note link. You'll notice that it has a https://www at the beginning, indicating that it is an Internet link.

Personally, I have always found this "copy" icon to be confusing, and I have requested that it be changed to make clear what is happening. I wouldn't be surprised if some people have been inadvertently making their notes public this way. Fortunately, it would be quite unlikely that someone would discover this link. I've also requested internal note linking for a few years.

Note linking certainly existed and it is certainly gone with the new update.

I have used this a lot too, especially linking to pdfs in other applications (Goodreader)

Please reintroduce this feature.

Thank you. I had three different peoiple tell me it did not exist when in fact, I know I used it.

PLEASE Evernote Wizzards, PLEASE make this feature come back!!!!

I think what you are describing is not internal note linking. There was a "copy" option that would produce a note link to a shared note. If you shared that with others, they could look at your note. If you type sharedate:* into the ssearch field you should get a list of notes for which you have created these links.

There are workarounds to create internal note links if you would like. You can still create the shared note links by pressing the square with the up-arrow (3rd from the right) and choosing to copy the note link. You'll notice that it has a https://www at the beginning, indicating that it is an Internet link.

Personally, I have always found this "copy" icon to be confusing, and I have requested that it be changed to make clear what is happening. I wouldn't be surprised if some people have been inadvertently making their notes public this way. Fortunately, it would be quite unlikely that someone would discover this link. I've also requested internal note linking for a few years.

NO. Sorry, this is NOT what I was doing. I was clicking a button on Evernote (In the Note Editor) in my iPad, which would "Copy Link Location" then I would Highlight text in another Note and there was an icon I could click that would change the highlighted text to a "Clickable Link" back to the first note.

Just to make this quite clear:

In the previous version of Evernote for the iPad there was an icon/feature that would allow you to copy a link and insert it into Evernote.

I used it for copying links to pdf files in Goodreader, then copy the link to Evernote via the button in "edit note" mode. I gave the link a title and when clicking this, I was brought to the specific file in Goodreader.

A link to a file "From Where You Are" in the "Goodreader" app looks like this:

gropen://0/eB%C3%B8ger/eBooks/Antologier/From%20Where%20You%20Are.pdf?cc=1

Worked like a charm and is sorely missed!

• Level 5*

NO. Sorry, this is NOT what I was doing. I was clicking a button on Evernote (In the Note Editor) in my iPad, which would "Copy Link Location" then I would Highlight text in another Note and there was an icon I could click that would change the highlighted text to a "Clickable Link" back to the first note.

Not to be annoyingly contrary, but I do think this is what you were doing. There was a button in the note editor (the sixth one from the left on the editor row -- a square with an arrow) that would create a note link. This button is now gone (read below to find out how to generate the link, though). This was a shared note link.

If you had pasted the link into your note without hyperlinking a word, you would have seen it began with https://wwww. When you went to another note and highlighted a word to hyperlink it (using the same icon) you were creating a link to the note *on the web.* Pressing the blue text took you to the note, but using the web browser within Evernote. You might remember that the note showed as green at the top and you could not edit it. This was the location of the shared note on the web. I encourage you to do a search for sharedate:* in your account. I think (if I am correct) that you will find many notes appear.

This is very different than an internal link, which is not shared, and does not take you into the browser within Evernote. This is more than simply a matter of semantics. The internal links allow you to navigate within the app (not within the browser in the app), they are not shared (the content remains private so that other people cannot access it), and the links (when created on the desktop) can help you to easily create a personal wiki.

Fortunately, if this kind of shared linking (as opposed to internal linking) is acceptable to you, you can still accomplish the link part, though you will not be able to hyperlink the text as you used to do. Press the icon at the top (the third icon from the right -- a square with an arrow), select "Copy link," and paste this into another note. The link will work the same, though it will be a little unsightly compared to the previous version of the app.

• Level 5*

Here is a screenshot of the icon.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/3e6e65ba-18a1-492c-92a6-946d875e9fee/202226eeacced7120636b050aaae5791

Notice that the link is a URL accessible on the web. This is what I mean by a shared link. An internal link is green (see the bottom of the note) and is formed differently. Most importantly, it is not a "shared" link, and no one but the owner can see it. We have not been able to create internal links on the iPad yet.

I think what you are describing is not internal note linking. There was a "copy" option that would produce a note link to a shared note. If you shared that with others, they could look at your note. If you type sharedate:* into the ssearch field you should get a list of notes for which you have created these links.There are workarounds to create internal note links if you would like. You can still create the shared note links by pressing the square with the up-arrow (3rd from the right) and choosing to copy the note link. You'll notice that it has a https://www at the beginning, indicating that it is an Internet link.Personally, I have always found this "copy" icon to be confusing, and I have requested that it be changed to make clear what is happening. I wouldn't be surprised if some people have been inadvertently making their notes public this way. Fortunately, it would be quite unlikely that someone would discover this link. I've also requested internal note linking for a few years.

Not to be annoyingly contrary, but I do think this is what you were doing. There was a button in the note editor (the sixth one from the left on the editor row -- a square with an arrow) that would create a note link. This button is now gone (read below to find out how to generate the link, though). This was a shared note link.If you had pasted the link into your note without hyperlinking a word, you would have seen it began with https://wwww. When you went to another note and highlighted a word to hyperlink it (using the same icon) you were creating a link to the note *on the web.* Pressing the blue text took you to the note, but using the web browser within Evernote. You might remember that the note showed as green at the top and you could not edit it. This was the location of the shared note on the web. I encourage you to do a search for sharedate:* in your account. I think (if I am correct) that you will find many notes appear.This is very different than an internal link, which is not shared, and does not take you into the browser within Evernote. This is more than simply a matter of semantics. The internal links allow you to navigate within the app (not within the browser in the app), they are not shared (the content remains private so that other people cannot access it), and the links (when created on the desktop) can help you to easily create a personal wiki.Fortunately, if this kind of shared linking (as opposed to internal linking) is acceptable to you, you can still accomplish the link part, though you will not be able to hyperlink the text as you used to do. Press the icon at the top (the third icon from the right -- a square with an arrow), select "Copy link," and paste this into another note. The link will work the same, though it will be a little unsightly compared to the previous version of the app.

I am soooo sorry! you are absolutely correct and I was, in fact, sharing publicly that which I believed was internal only. I'm quite disappointed as I thought we had internal notelinking. Even still, it was at least a useful function (had i known they would be public - i could have more carefully chosen which notes to share) with the hyper-linking etc.

Is there ANY hope that with the introduction of iOS7 and upgraded EN app that the developers can Introduce internal note linking and make it easy to do with hyper-Linked text? This Would really and truly kick this App WAY up in featurg rich functionality. Also, i cannot imagine I am the only one hoping for this?

Again, I am sorry I was so adamantly opposed to your suggestion, I simply did not "get it". now I do. :(

Thank you very much for taking your time to educate me and get me sorted out.

Chris

• Level 5*

I think what you are describing is not internal note linking. There was a "copy" option that would produce a note link to a shared note. If you shared that with others, they could look at your note. If you type sharedate:* into the ssearch field you should get a list of notes for which you have created these links.There are workarounds to create internal note links if you would like. You can still create the shared note links by pressing the square with the up-arrow (3rd from the right) and choosing to copy the note link. You'll notice that it has a https://www at the beginning, indicating that it is an Internet link.Personally, I have always found this "copy" icon to be confusing, and I have requested that it be changed to make clear what is happening. I wouldn't be surprised if some people have been inadvertently making their notes public this way. Fortunately, it would be quite unlikely that someone would discover this link. I've also requested internal note linking for a few years.

Not to be annoyingly contrary, but I do think this is what you were doing. There was a button in the note editor (the sixth one from the left on the editor row -- a square with an arrow) that would create a note link. This button is now gone (read below to find out how to generate the link, though). This was a shared note link.If you had pasted the link into your note without hyperlinking a word, you would have seen it began with https://wwww. When you went to another note and highlighted a word to hyperlink it (using the same icon) you were creating a link to the note *on the web.* Pressing the blue text took you to the note, but using the web browser within Evernote. You might remember that the note showed as green at the top and you could not edit it. This was the location of the shared note on the web. I encourage you to do a search for sharedate:* in your account. I think (if I am correct) that you will find many notes appear.This is very different than an internal link, which is not shared, and does not take you into the browser within Evernote. This is more than simply a matter of semantics. The internal links allow you to navigate within the app (not within the browser in the app), they are not shared (the content remains private so that other people cannot access it), and the links (when created on the desktop) can help you to easily create a personal wiki.Fortunately, if this kind of shared linking (as opposed to internal linking) is acceptable to you, you can still accomplish the link part, though you will not be able to hyperlink the text as you used to do. Press the icon at the top (the third icon from the right -- a square with an arrow), select "Copy link," and paste this into another note. The link will work the same, though it will be a little unsightly compared to the previous version of the app.

I am soooo sorry! you are absolutely correct and I was, in fact, sharing publicly that which I believed was internal only. I'm quite disappointed as I thought we had internal notelinking. Even still, it was at least a useful function (had i known they would be public - i could have more carefully chosen which notes to share) with the hyper-linking etc.

Is there ANY hope that with the introduction of iOS7 and upgraded EN app that the developers can Introduce internal note linking and make it easy to do with hyper-Linked text? This Would really and truly kick this App WAY up in featurg rich functionality. Also, i cannot imagine I am the only one hoping for this?

Again, I am sorry I was so adamantly opposed to your suggestion, I simply did not "get it". now I do. :(

Thank you very much for taking your time to educate me and get me sorted out.

Chris

No worries! The only way I've learned about stuff is to have others on the forums help me out with it. That's what the forums are for, after all :)

As I mentioned earlier, I think this is an extremely confusing feature, and it is one I have requested they change. I'm not surprised you thought it was an internal link. I think I have been asking for internal note linking since 2011... Well, it might come someday, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

There are some workarounds that are not too troublesome. For example, select all of your notes, make a table of contents note, and then copy/paste the resulting links as needed when using your iPad. See the first video on this page for making a table of contents note.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=488

For new notes, the only modification is to create a couple of hundred empty notes (templates in my case), tag them as templates, and then just use those instead of creating a new note. Because you have a table of contents note for these as well (I suggest a search for tag:template, then select all, and then make a separate table of contents), you can use note links however you like. In fact, you can even edit the links and they will still work (at least, they did in the last version of the iOS app).

Yes, it is a little clunky. Yes, it needs a desktop to generate the links in the first place. However, once it is all in place, you are good to go!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
There are some workarounds that are not too troublesome. For example, select all of your notes, make a table of contents note, and then copy/paste the resulting links as needed when using your iPad.

My variation on this is that whenever I make or edit a note on my PC, I add a link to itself as the first line of the note. That way I can easily copy that link from the note itself. For me, that's easier than scrolling down a long list of notes to try and select/copy/paste from there.

However, doing this by default for every note takes more time than the index-generating method that GrumpyMonkey described.

You could instead combine the approaches... just include a link-to-self in the notes that you picture yourself referencing again in the future, and use a generated index to catch the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

I am amazed at how  creative people are with workarounds! I will try some of these strategies.  Thank you. 

That said, the amount of thought that has gone into figuring out an ad hoc fix for an obvious EVERNOTE SNAFU is a harbinger for reasons why people might be reluctant to persist using Evernote that are a common theme on this forum:  (a) Evernote has obvious shortcomings as a knowledge management tool in operations beyond capturing information, and (B) it is not very responsive to users' concerns. 

Internal and external note linking on IOS is a simple fix and a powerful enhancement.  I find it extremely frustrating to have to move between platforms to do something so basic as to add a note link to another page.  

• Level 5*

Bump.

I am amazed at how  creative people are with workarounds! I will try some of these strategies.  Thank you. 

That said, the amount of thought that has gone into figuring out an ad hoc fix for an obvious EVERNOTE SNAFU is a harbinger for reasons why people might be reluctant to persist using Evernote that are a common theme on this forum:  (a) Evernote has obvious shortcomings as a knowledge management tool in operations beyond capturing information, and ( B) it is not very responsive to users' concerns. 

Internal and external note linking on IOS is a simple fix and a powerful enhancement.  I find it extremely frustrating to have to move between platforms to do something so basic as to add a note link to another page.  

It's annoying, and has been for years now, but I wouldn't take it as an indication that Evernote is not responsive. They've gone through three major versions of the app and haven't added it, so I am thinking that they made a decision somewhere along the way that it isn't necessary for the mobile experience. There are a lot of things like this -- some of the suggestions we have seem simple (the ability to search joined notebooks together with owned ones) and others seem terribly complex (the bibliographic features students and academics have requested come to mind). Just because the developers don't do something doesn't mean they are un-responsive. In other words, I think the response is "Thank you for the suggestion."

Anyhow, I would recommend some of the workarounds we have suggested in the thread. They are relatively painless to implement.

Came across this thread while looking for an easy solution to iOS-native note linking on the iPad. There's an app called Clever HD that I've used in the past to get note links that open in the Evernote app on the iPad (rather than the browser) but I'd really like to see the same functionality in the Evernote app itself. If a third-party app can manage it, I'm hoping it's just a matter of time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Having the same problem. I was able to fix it. 

For iOS 9 updated Evernote iPhone 6s. 

Go to the note you want to link to.

On bottom right of screen, the three dots, click there. Click share (top) then click on "copy link"

I chose "private link" since I am the only one who needs the link. 

Go to your note that you wish to place your link inside of. Place the cursor where you would like your link (I couldn't hyperlink specific words only paste a link that was the title of the note I was linking). 

Tried to add screen shots and wasn't allowed because of size of pictures. 

Let me know if this helps. 

Archived