When is Web Clipper 6 coming to Firefox?

stjohnmccloskey

Idea

60 replies to this idea

I use Evernote everyday. I have around 2000 notes, most of them are manuals. I am one of the first user of Evernote. Howevwer from my experience support for this app is bad (communication). We can just wait...

I just got back to Firefox after long journey with Chrome. Didn't know that situation is so bad here. Clearly - you are either abandoning Firefox or being really incapable coders. Can you make some official statement? Every developer team is capable of giving some ETA... provided that they are PREFESSIONALS. Are you?

I just got back to Firefox after long journey with Chrome. Didn't know that situation is so bad here. Clearly - you are either abandoning Firefox or being really incapable coders. Can you make some official statement? Every developer team is capable of giving some ETA... provided that they are PREFESSIONALS. Are you?

Why so rude? I'm waiting also for Web Clipper 6 for FF - but I can do almost everything with Web Clipper 5.9 plus Clearly: save PDF, Google Mail, clear web pages, change notebook and tags - and and and. Okay, the skitch annotations I have to do in Evernote - so what?

Sure, I'm sorry. That seems to be more rude than I supposed it will be. But I'm a beginner programmer, just getting knowledge about proffesion... Maybe too idealistic. :) It's one of the things that is so bad nowadays and is so simple. How nice it would be to be honest with clients? Be professional and give some ETA?

It's still great software, but there are always details that matters. One good alternative on the market and I would be far away from evernote in that momentary rage. ;) I'm happy for you, that you are so great guys, but you won't be always that better from your competition.

• Level 5*

Sure, I'm sorry. That seems to be more rude than I supposed it will be. But I'm a beginner programmer, just getting knowledge about proffesion... Maybe too idealistic. :) It's one of the things that is so bad nowadays and is so simple. How nice it would be to be honest with clients? Be professional and give some ETA?

So what in your programming experience gives you the impression that giving ETAs publicly is "professional"? Or even useful? You can't use software that's estimated to be delivered later on, after all, you can only use software that has actually been delivered. Jakob said that they're working on it, and it means that they're working on it and it'll be delivered when it's done. That's honesty. By the way, as I understand it, it's pretty much company policy to *not* give out ETAs, so the professionality of the Evernote development staff isn't really even a part of this.

It's still great software, but there are always details that matters. One good alternative on the market and I would be far away from evernote in that momentary rage. ;) I'm happy for you, that you are so great guys, but you won't be always that better from your competition.

What should one say to this? You'd stick around as an Evernote user because you got an ETA? Or because you got the Firefox web clipper tomorrow? Hmmm. Have you surveyed the competition? What do you like about them, vs. Evernote, and vice versa?

Before this derails into completelly off-topic discussion about professionalism, customer relationship and Evernote vs the world, I'd like to suggest one possible reasoning why it's still not developed, the clipper per se might be seeing some overhaul to be more reliable or simply work completely different. I've got to use Chrome at work and there I use the Clipper 6 and sincerely I can't say it has been a round, always working piece of software. I'd be glad to wait 6 months for a firefox clipper that's better in every way and works very well instead of early beta/ unfinished versions. A little short than 2 months ago we had a prog updathing this with ". We're doing some design changes so we had some backflow." so clearly something changed along the way (which is by the way a great reson not to give out ETA's to the public.
That said, thanks for the programmers who're working on the firefox version, me and others greatly respect your work. Surely you have an ETA but won't and shouldn't give it to us :)

• Level 5*

A little short than 2 months ago we had a prog updathing this with ". We're doing some design changes so we had some backflow." so clearly something changed along the way (which is by the way a great reson not to give out ETA's to the public.

That's pretty much the reason that Evernote doesn't.

That said, thanks for the programmers who're working on the firefox version, me and others greatly respect your work. Surely you have an ETA but won't and shouldn't give it to us :)

It's probable that they have internal estimates, but as you say, it's best if they ship it when it's ready. Ditto on the thanks, for sure.

@Igoose That is great reasoning. Thank you very much. Fresh ideas from books/someones opinions are sometime dangerous, especially for me. Having internal ETA (personal or inside company) are desirable. Giving it to public? Not always.

What is my real problem? That is basic problem of every human. ;) When you didn't have a toy and don't have it now - you don't really care. You didn't know about existence of one? Even better! But you had one and it was taken from you somehow? That's where all the rage is coming from.

Turns out that I don't really care that much to go back to Chrome. Current functionality is sufficient. Only some comfort is taken away. ;)

Generally - people are not happy about current situation, which can be seen in Firefox addon reviews.

Sorry for all the mess I left here. ;)

Sorry to say that but, are you guys been paid by google to stop updating firefox's version or what ?

Seriously, it's almost a year that the chrome's version of webclipper 6 is out there while firefox's version is stuck in the 5, it's doesn't look like a delay anymore.

Please just be honest with the users, if you have stopped firefox please let us know.

wait, so I can't clip from Firefox now? I'm on the latest version and it's telling me it's an old version. How hard is it to update the clipper when you have the code base already? FF doesn't change THAT much.

I am using FF 29.0.1 on OS X, and I am getting this error:

This version of Evernote Web Clipper is no longer compatible with Evernote Service. Please install the latest version.

I am also on Evernote Premium, so this is a bit more troubling... :(

• Level 5*

I am using FF 29.0.1 on OS X, and I am getting this error:

This version of Evernote Web Clipper is no longer compatible with Evernote Service. Please install the latest version.

I am also on Evernote Premium, so this is a bit more troubling... :(

bkwyrm, what is your Mac OS Ver#?

I'm running Mac OS 10.8.5,  FF 29.0.1, and EN Clipper 5.9.1 without any problems.

• Level 5*

I'm running 10.9.3, sir... Ran all updates and still no love. Is there something I can do to troubleshoot?

Sorry, the only thing I can suggest is to submit a support ticket (see below).

And now another month has passed.  This is now >3 months since the Evernote "developers" stated it was coming.  LAME.

Yes, it has been a while without updates and yes it is lame. However we de do have an "old" plugin working quite fine and if you think about it, old here is relative as I a 6 month old program is not old. Specially when it is still reliable.

That being said, a new app is in the works, for a while (also quite lame... but, it's life) but that's what really matters, it's not abandoned.

Any project has to prioritize things, even Google or Apple can't develop everything at the same time, this project was probably lower in the ranking... well, again, it's lame but it's life, some things are more important to focus on.

I would just like to remember that besides all your anger (?!) about this, there's people working on it. Don't call it lame.

• Level 5*

And now another month has passed.  This is now >3 months since the Evernote "developers" stated it was coming.  LAME.

Christmas is still coming too. Software takes time. Relax.

• Level 5*

Christmas is still coming too. Software takes time. Relax.

Relax? Really?

Chrome: WebClipper 6.1.3

Safari: WebClipper 6.1.3

Opera: WebClipper 6.1.3

Firefox: WebClipper 5.9.1

Could you see something that makes Firefox users angry?

:angry:

No, I cannot. Software doesn't write itself, and sometimes we can't get what we want right away. If they could deliver it any faster, they would -- they want everyone to have a great Evernote experience. Have you nothing else in your life to make you feel good about yourself? Go climb a mountain. Ride a bike. Relax.

Beta is out.
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60185-web-clipper-6-for-firefox-beta/
mind that this is stil beta so not all functionality is available. Run a few tests with your workflow and check if it does all that you need.
I think it's best that we keep all comments on that thread (maybe admins might see fit to close this one).
Posted it here so subscribers can get email notice.

First best news since 12 Sep 2013! Thank you, VERY MUCH, lgoose!!!

I'm just curious, why Firefox is the last browser that got this addon? (Even after Opera and Safari with their diminutive percentage) It's on the second/third place on the market (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers) and was here since Chrome appeared. Then - why?  :unsure:  Is it really hard to make addons for Firefox?

Anyways, thank you for sharing!

Firefox users are human finally... 

First best news since 12 Sep 2013! Thank you, VERY MUCH, lgoose!!!

I'm just curious, why Firefox is the last browser that got this addon? (Even after Opera and Safari with their diminutive percentage) It's on the second/third place on the market (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers) and was here since Chrome appeared. Then - why?  :unsure:  Is it really hard to make addons for Firefox?

Anyways, thank you for sharing!

Firefox users are human finally... 

Majority Rules, everything's "Chromed out" nowadays even my beloved Opera, so welcome second class citizenship Firefox users it's not the 2000's anymore

I think the new clipper is very similar to evernote clearly, but with enhanced features. Currently I will be using clearly until the web clipper 6.0 comes to firefox, but will surely be wonderful to have it as soon as possible

We generally do not give out dates but I can assure you this is one of our priorities. 

Priorities? Look at the date...

More than 4 months, just say that you wont support firefox in the future? All browsers versions should be available at the same time for me.

Hope to see it someday.

We generally do not give out dates but I can assure you this is one of our priorities. 

Sorry but that's not serious, it's been almost 5 months now.

Are there any dates or the web clipper 6 isn't coming to firefox at all ?

The web clipper 6 is one of the best arguments that made me choose Evernote over Onenote, but Firefox is my all time favourite browser and i'm definitly not changing it for an extention (because the actual firefox version of the web clipper is no better than Onenote clipper).

Hope there will be some news very soon.

As a long-time premium subscriber, I want a stronger commitment from the Evernote team to Firefox.  We're not talking about a niche browser - this is *Firefox*.

That said, I understand the challenges in coding for 2 different rendering engines.   Prioritizing a Webkit version means Evernote can cover Safari, Chrome, and Opera Next with minimal modifications.

But Evernote seriously needs to ramp up development for Firefox/Gecko.  At least give us a beta to play with at our own risk...

• Level 5*

This is sad - looks like jbignert is the only person working on this.

All it means is that jbignert is the one posting in the forums. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

Hi all, I'm with you. Really keen to see support for webclipper v6 in Firefox!

Even a beta would allow me to continue using Firefox as my default browser, otherwise I'll be back to Opera (for which Evernote has published clipper v6).

Considering Firefox is the second most popular browser after Chrome - and number 1 in countries outside of the US, it's terrible that Evernote hadn't prioritised this highly enough.

Webclipper 6 is so sexy on chrome and it's the only thing I regret not having on Firefox.  I can't wait for it to come to Firefox but I understand the realities of hitting multiple browsers with webkit development and leaving Firefox behind.  Greater Firefox (and windows) support would be awesome.

Hello, can you tell us, honestly, why it would take so much longer? I mean is it because of Firefoxs architecture? Is it less flexible since Plugins for Chrome do not need restarts?

What I love abt Firefox is the native tagging of bookmarks.

Archived