Presentation mode - text appears too low on screen?

I LOVE presentation mode - its what I've always been dreaming of, so I'm desperate to use it ... BUT is there some way to specify where the top/bottom of the screen will be? 

It seems that whether I have just plain text, or jpeg etc  in a note, it always puts the text too low on the screen.  It shows the note subject, and then the first line of the note is nearly half way down the screen...  so I then need to scroll up to get the text into the centre of the screen.

Any options to do this??

• 6 months later...

Yes - this is absolutely critical for using presentation mode on an actual notebook screen. The note title text is gigantic and doesn't even start until 1/3 the way down the screen!

Presentation mode is totally unusable because you have to scroll down on EVERY note just so you can see the note content centered in the screen!!!

post-77402-0-01914700-1398404329_thumb.j

I'm not sure if I completely understand the complaint. Upon starting presentation mode, the note title is situated near the middle of the screen, it seems like a relatively common thing that you might want the title front-and-centre, THEN you scroll to the content of what might be your "first slide" so to speak. The whole system is centred on scrolling it seems, so if that bothers you perhaps the continuous-scroll-no-slides type presentation isn't quite right for your needs? 

Configurability would be a luxury, it would be nice to have a bit more control over what happens in presentation mode. 

That being said, I think 'unusable' is a bit hyperbolic. 

I'm not sure if I completely understand the complaint. Upon starting presentation mode, the note title is situated near the middle of the screen, it seems like a relatively common thing that you might want the title front-and-centre, THEN you scroll to the content of what might be your "first slide" so to speak. The whole system is centred on scrolling it seems, so if that bothers you perhaps the continuous-scroll-no-slides type presentation isn't quite right for your needs? 

Configurability would be a luxury, it would be nice to have a bit more control over what happens in presentation mode. 

That being said, I think 'unusable' is a bit hyperbolic. 

No - you don't completely understand.

Presentation mode is set up to change "slides" or notes by using left/right arrows. The slides are the notes. The notes are the slides. No one is making a presentation in one long note and scrolling down. To do this is an extremely bad way to make a presentation as it's quite hard to follow scrolling text visually if you're not scrolling it yourself. Presentations should not require scrolling, period, unless the note actually goes off the screen due to its length. Such a note would be a poor choice to include in a presentation, but EN should allow vertical scrolling in that case.

Presentation mode claims to give the abiltiy to "full-screen" your notes, but the fact that the note title and the spacing around it uses up 1/3 of the screen means you always have to scroll to get the note content centered on the screen. There is tons of space wasted at the top of the screen.

The most common type of presentation slide, with a title and one image in it still requires you to scroll down in order to display the full slide. If you were actually making a presentation doing this it would look extremely unprofessional, as you are forced to scroll down on EVERY slide to make the image visible.

So, no - unusable is not hyperbolic as in every case that presentation mode could be useful, this layout problem is a deal breaker. As a slideshow of images, every image is cut off the bottom of the screen and you need to scroll each one up every time you change slides. As a presentation tool you have to scroll every slide up in order for others to read the actual content of the note.

Hmmm honestly I had never thought about presentation mode in that way... That is, with notes being slides. I've honestly not thought much about presentation mode.

I can see, given the way you want to use it, that the current way presentation mode works would be less than desirable.

benkrall:  I agree about the waste of space around the Title in Presentation Mode.  It is a bit awkward to get the meat of your slide centered without cutting you information up into more slides than necessary (i.e., in direct comparison to PowerPoint).  But, I did find at times, I wish I had more space on a slide in PPT than was available.  The ability to scroll would have been nice at times.

I have made professional presentations for 26 yrs.  I used a couple different tools, but I never had a chance to use Evernote in a live presentation.  The timing was off.  However, I have created and practiced with it enough to understand your point, and agree, somewhat.

I do not totally agree when you say "Presentations should not require scrolling, period,".  And I agree, using EN, most slides may require some scrolling, but that could be limited while you are creating, knowing this issue going into it.  In addition, the scrolling does not have to be constant.  The scrolling can "add" to a presentation, most effectively in timing with discussion of the material.  I think the options provided by Notes in EN are just as feasible for a presentation as PPT.

So, I do agree, some space could be recovered at the top of each Note, however, I do not agree it is "unusable".  I believe EN could make a very professional presentation.  As they say, IMO!

• Level 5*
No one is making a presentation in one long note and scrolling down. To do this is an extremely bad way to make a presentation as it's quite hard to follow scrolling text visually if you're not scrolling it yourself. Presentations should not require scrolling, period.

Actually, some of us (or at least me) are.  It all depends on how you plan on using the tool.  I definitely see your point and for formal presentations it might be best to stick with Powerpoint, but for informal (in my case, development) meetings I think presentation mode will be a nice feature and I will be scrolling through one long note and not breaking it up into several smaller notes.  You can use the space bar to autoscroll (which to me is very similar to advancing to a new slide), or just manually scroll through the note yourself.

Guys, I'm willing to accept that in certain situations it may be desirable to scroll text in a presentation. I am not a professional powerpoint user or someone who even makes presentations at all. It's elaborately missing the point to focus on whether it's appropriate to scroll in a presentation.

The issue is that you MUST scroll EVERY SLIDE in order to get things centered on the screen. This is the most basic issue I can imagine bringing to EN - it has absolutely zero to do with the appropriateness of the scrolling functionality, it has everything to do with START THE NOTE AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN.

With the huge rollout of this feature, including video tutorials and press releases, unsolicited emails spammed to my email account from EN, I would expect this feature to actually work really well. In fact it's pretty slipshod and does not really respond to any actual need of the users.

For my part all I really want to do is show a damn slideshow of evernotes, and I can't do it because every note is 1/2 cut off at the bottom, and the top 1/3 of the screen is blank, which would make me look like a total jerk if I tried to show it to anyone in any work situation. Full stop.

• Level 5*

The issue is that you MUST scroll EVERY SLIDE in order to get things centered on the screen. This is the most basic issue I can imagine bringing to EN - it has absolutely zero to do with the appropriateness of the scrolling functionality, it has everything to do with START THE NOTE AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN.

Since I only use one note, I wasn't seeing what your complaint was, but I tested using multiple notes for a presentation and now see the issue.  Evernote treats the first line on each note as the title and therefore showing it on a separate screen.  If you are expecting to use multiple notes as a deck of slides I can see how what we have would be undesirable.  Maybe Evernote could provide an option to suppress the title page when multiple notes are selected.  Until then, you might consider using one long note.  You will only see the title page at the start and the spacebar will step you through the presentation a page at a time.

Jackolicious, in the Windows version, when selecting multiple notes, I would expect the presentation order to be the click order, like merge, but that is not the case.  It seems to order based on date, either created or updated, I can't tell which.

• 2 months later...

Also can we have configurable text size for presentation mode, as a teacher the current text size is far too small when I am showing notes on the whiteboard.

The workaround is to make the note text size 48 and then open it, however that defeats the object of presentation mode.

Also can we have configurable text size for presentation mode, as a teacher the current text size is far too small when I am showing notes on the whiteboard.

The workaround is to make the note text size 48 and then open it, however that defeats the object of presentation mode.

Hi,

Are you working on an iPad or laptop/desktop?

I'm working on a laptop (mac)

And to add to the previous points made I think presentation mode isn't just replicate the functionality of powerpoint, to me it is show information to others on a larger attached Include a screenshot of this, showing how you did this/options chosen. or same device Include a screenshot of this, showing how you did this/options chosen., so in most cases having larger text seems more logical as most notes are primarily text.

Therefore scrolling is valid in this mode as a long text note can contain multiple points that need to be addressed.

I may not be understanding your difficulty with the text size in presentation mode.  I use Font Size 12-14 in my text Notes and in Presentation Mode they appear large enough to read when projected on a wall.  You mention text size 48 as a workaround.  I am surprised you need to make text that large for a readable projected presentation.  I too use a Macbook Pro and my testing shows the projected text to be large enough.

Have you considered a Support Ticket?

• 2 weeks later...

We have a a ticket for improving font sizes in Mac / iOS on our backlog. Thanks for you feedback!

ps. additional to scrolling, you can use 'space' and horizontal rulers within a note to make 'slide' kind of an experience (if you want to use 'slides'). The same in iOS (with horizontal rulers) with 'up/down' buttons on the presenter device when in airplay projection mode.

We have a a ticket for improving font sizes in Mac / iOS on our backlog. Thanks for you feedback!

ps. additional to scrolling, you can use 'space' and horizontal rulers within a note to make 'slide' kind of an experience (if you want to use 'slides'). The same in iOS (with horizontal rulers) with 'up/down' buttons on the presenter device when in airplay projection mode.

Thank you for the updated information!  This type of information is nice to know.

• 8 months later...

I became a paying subscriber in no small part due to the enticement of Presentation mode.  Do I understand now that this thing of having each "slide" start with the title smack dab in the middle of the page with useless whitespace above it is just something I have to live with?  Really?  Paaleeeezzzz tell me this has been fixed.

I became a paying subscriber in no small part due to the enticement of Presentation mode.  Do I understand now that this thing of having each "slide" start with the title smack dab in the middle of the page with useless whitespace above it is just something I have to live with?  Really?  Paaleeeezzzz tell me this has been fixed.

Just tested a bunch of notes (none were explicitly intended to be presentations, but they did reflect a wide variety of content and formatting). All of them seemed to have the title (or the line taken to be the title) near the top, in the top 1/4 for sure. 

Obviously your best bet is to try it yourself rather than take someone else's word, but from what I can see, the title no longer appears smack in the middle of the screen. 

• 4 months later...

Is there any word on making presentation mode usable??

I find I'm unable to use Evernote in Presentation mode in any kind of meaningful way in spite of fanboys and fangirls on the inter-webs singing its praises. It makes me wonder what kind of presentations they're doing. The note title is impossible to remove, if you leave it empty, it shows "UNTITLED" on your slide! Also, you can't control your fonts and you are unable to arrow through a presentation without scrolling. 

As a speaker, I find that Evernote is IMPOSSIBLE to use in place of Keynote or Powerpoint. ((sigh))

Is there any word on making presentation mode usable??

I find I'm unable to use Evernote in Presentation mode in any kind of meaningful way in spite of fanboys and fangirls on the inter-webs singing its praises. It makes me wonder what kind of presentations they're doing. The note title is impossible to remove, if you leave it empty, it shows "UNTITLED" on your slide! Also, you can't control your fonts and you are unable to arrow through a presentation without scrolling. 

As a speaker, I find that Evernote is IMPOSSIBLE to use in place of Keynote or Powerpoint. ((sigh))

Agreed. We're not here to replace Keynote or PowerPoint. Both are great for talks and big room presentations. Presentation Mode's main target are meeting presentations. So that users can show/share their current work quickly and effectively.

For the 'arrowing' through your presentations, if you use mac, you can 'slide' your presentation using layout editor and 'space' through the sections without scrolling. Even without 'sliding' you can use 'space' key to go through your presentation screenful at a time.

Archived