iPad evernote hangs then crashes in iOS7

Sorted: deleted then reinstalled EN on iPad.

But it still isn't without issues.

Just launched the app and the screen went completely black for a few seconds.

I hit home and relaunched and it did it again.

Then, third time lucky: all worked fine, but I don't like the flakiness of the situation!

I am having the same problem on iphone 5s at 7.0.1.

I have deleted and reinstalled 3 times. Problem keeps coming back.

I wonder if it is related to offline downloading. This time I will not turn that on and see if I still have the problem.

Definitely a buggy release.

Same problem here on iPad Mini under ios7.  Have deleted EN and redownloaded from icloud and iTunes then redownloaded my 1.3GB of offline data.  After a couple of launches it will hang and freeze.  Works fine on my iPhone 5.  Very annoyed as all my data is now not accessible on a mobile device.

Now my evernote is freezing up. I open it up, go to a recent document, which occasionally will open, but then it freezes and I can't edit or even close the document. This just started happening today even though iOS7 was updated a week ago. I've thought of deleting the app and reinstalling it, but am concerned that all my documents will be lost (which is what it says will happen) it I do this. Any suggestions?

I also noticed that when I edit a note in landscape view then rotate to portrait the screen goes weird. The note text disappears but returns if I rotate back to landscape.

Please, EN: sort it out could ya!?

I love the PostIt feature, for example, but would much rather the app was stable before messing around with such marginal features! :-)

Yes, I can confirm the above. I have an "iPad 2,4" with newly loaded iOS7. I cannot go back to earlier versions of iOS. It doesn't seem as though earlier versions of Evernote are supported for iOS7 - is that true?

I have a lot of files in my Evernote account, but they are all pretty vanilla text. I need to have access to them, reliably. To me, the hanging and crashing in this new version is more important than a lot of the feature requests that normally get discussed in these forums. If a fix for these problem(s) with iOS7 doesn't come soon-ish, I will simply have to move my data elsewhere.

Just as a note, I updated to Evernote 7.0.2 (which in the App Store has a description "New with 7.0.1..." - doesn't inspire much confidence) and it seems to have the same problems as 7.0.1. I'd much rather pay more for a reliable version of what Evernote does, than to see Evernote instead investing its effort in a lot of the sidebar projects they seem to be undertaking.

Things have improved 7.0 ->7.0.2 ... but they are still not perfect.

Now on my iphone, *sometimes* it freezes and crashes when I search...

Still got work to do guys.

My business relies on this amazing tool, please reorganize priorities, I'm all about new cool features but stability is key.

Same here on iPhone 5 with iOS 7.02. Right from the start of iOS 7 it's had screwy errors with the latest note not appearing on the front page as the latest note but in the last few days I've begun having this unresponsive issue.

Usually there is no reaction to any tap. Tonight it let me start a note and type the first letter of it before it hung completely. Restarting the app, it did the same thing: start a note and type literally the first letter, then hung. The note doesn't save, either.

As I've been writing this, I've deleted and reinstalled the app.

W

Same here. Just finished downloading the 2Gb + data, too.

Man, Evernote, why do you keep letting me down like this? I've just written a glowing review about how great it's been going after all the problems with earlier versions, and now this.

Great.

Time to re-visit plain text, I think.

Same here. Just crashed 3 times in a row. Just a half hour ago, clipper just crashed, then Evernote Windows just crashed, and now my iPad version just crashed.

I'm starting to suspect that these are related because of the heavy traffic on Evernote servers - along with hyperlinks and other unique practices of certain users (which should not cause a crash).

• 1 month later...

Evernote crashes consistently on my iPad, but works fine on my iPhone, both running the latest version of iOS. I did an erase and re-install, turning my iPad off completely in between, to no avail. To be more precise, Evernote doesn't so much crash, as it refuses to come up at all. Before my re-install, I would get a screen with some of my data on it, showing properly. But, I couldn't change anything. After erasure and re-install, I get a blank white screen, with no data showing. Frequently Evernote will then plant me back onto my iPad's main screen. Other times it will simply stay there, and the only way I can get out of it is to do a double-tap on the iPad button to bring up the sort of flip chart of all active programs, and then flick up the Evernote "card' to remove it from the list of programs.

Actually, it can be a problem: my last crash happened before Evernote synced with the cloud so, yes, I lost data.

It was a choice between hoping Evernote would magically un-crash or sacrificing a note in order to continue working.

The note was an audio recording so it was significant and the crash was such that I couldn't get in to the note to try doing anything. Not sure what I could've done, really: I'd have copied-and-pasted any text from the note but presumably I couldn't have copied out the audio.

It does mean that I am a little wary of recording anything into Evernote; I'd rather do it elsewhere and drag it oh than risk another crash. No idea if audio caused the problem, but whatever did, I lost my data. So Evernote's cloud syncing isn't a panacea.

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem here. You really let me down evernote. I am traveling right now, only ipad and evernote - and missed an important deadline because of the problems. Boy did I get it intensively. LOTS of weird things happening

1. Same as everyone ... freezes, crashes.

2. LOT of issues when you try copy/paste, cut/paste (or any kind of paste) - particularly if the clipboard was clipped from another app (say, some text from the web in safari).

- sometimes when I paste, it causes the crash

- sometimes when I paste, the pasted text appears (but NEVER ever formats correctly .. c'mon evernote) ... and then when I leave the note and come back to it ... the pasted text is gone

3. I worked OFFline for a few hours, and noticed that I had far fewer problems and crashes ... interesting (I cannot tell if this is because I was offline (using premium version) or because I was pasting less from other apps.

4. Online again this morning, same ol' crashing *****. definitely lost data

Evernote crashes consistently on my iPad, but works fine on my iPhone, both running the latest version of iOS. I did an erase and re-install, turning my iPad off completely in between, to no avail. To be more precise, Evernote doesn't so much crash, as it refuses to come up at all. Before my re-install, I would get a screen with some of my data on it, showing properly. But, I couldn't change anything. After erasure and re-install, I get a blank white screen, with no data showing. Frequently Evernote will then plant me back onto my iPad's main screen. Other times it will simply stay there, and the only way I can get out of it is to do a double-tap on the iPad button to bring up the sort of flip chart of all active programs, and then flick up the Evernote "card' to remove it from the list of programs.

• Level 5

Did you all try the workaround to disconnect your contacts from Evernote in the settings app? This seems to be working!

The quit/reinstall does not work and the contacts workaround assumes you can access the settings in EN, which you can't from the device with the issues!

I didn't mean the settings in EN, I meant the iOS settings app. For the latest Evernote version it helps when you go to "Settings -> Privacy -> Contacts" and switch off the access of evernote to your contacts. There is another thread in the forum for this problem: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49158-the-new-72-update-from-december-12-2013-keeps-crashing/

Did you all try the workaround to disconnect your contacts from Evernote in the settings app? This seems to be working!

The quit/reinstall does not work and the contacts workaround assumes you can access the settings in EN, which you can't from the device with the issues!

I didn't mean the settings in EN, I meant the iOS settings app. For the latest Evernote version it helps when you go to "Settings -> Privacy -> Contacts" and switch off the access of evernote to your contacts. There is another thread in the forum for this problem: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49158-the-new-72-update-from-december-12-2013-keeps-crashing/

Got it!  So far so good on that solution, nothing else has worked. Thank you.

Same here, new iphone 5S IOS7.0.4. First week no problem. But three days ago EN crashed. Re-installed it via i-tunes, worked fine for a few hours, same problem again. I'm very disappointed because Evernote was what I was most looking forward to on my new iphone. Vincent, Antwerp, Belgium 16Dec2013

Seems I've been to quick; hadn't read the workaround above yet. This seems to work indeed ! Thanks a lot !

Just received feedback, it works for me:

- Open Settings for your Phone
- Navigate to Privacy
- Tap Contacts
- Look for Evernote and flip the switch to OFF
- Restart the Evernote app (it is possible that you will need to reinstall)

Thanks helpdesk Evernote

• 2 weeks later...

New ipad mini and Evernote kept freezing and crashing. As per previous posts, I uninstalled it from the ipad and restarted the ipad. Then deleted evernote from itunes and synced ipad. ( it was the iphone edition that had installed on the ipad!). Restarted Itunes and downloaded the ipad version of evernote and re-synced. Problem sorted.

• 3 months later...

Just received feedback, it works for me:

- Open Settings for your Phone

- Navigate to Privacy

- Tap Contacts

- Look for Evernote and flip the switch to OFF

- Restart the Evernote app (it is possible that you will need to reinstall)

Thanks helpdesk Evernote

It worked for me for a couple of days but it is not working now. I also uninstalled the app and reinstalled it.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am running the free version which started crashing recently - iPhone 4S IOS7.1.2 . EN loads and then disappears from the display. Hitting the button twice shows it loaded in the background but it will not play nice in the foreground.  I deleted the app and reinstalled and now it appears to be working OK. Keeping fingers crossed.

Archived