(Archived) Evernote for iOS 7 feedback

• Level 5*

Maybe it will help the developers to have everything in one place.

(1) intitle search

- Not working.

(2) sync

- Not working.

- A reinstall sometimes helps, but sync eventually stops.

(3) wildcards

- Not working.

(4) offline notebooks

- Maybe not working. Some stuff is there, some isn't, and my sync keeps stopping. Is there any way to force a sync?

(5) announcements

- You have to read them on each device to remove them. I think itcwould be best if we could toggle this feature off.

(6) indent

- It does not work as expected (neother as it did in the past nor as it does on the Mac)

(7) green

- I'm cool with it. It's iOS7.

(8) list-y snippet view

- I would like this back.

(9) sort

- I would like them back. Ideally, all sixteen (see the Windows client)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Level 5*

By the way, the broken syncing combined with a lack of indications about whether or not a note has synced (the blue arrows) means I have a huge mess on my hands, I've been working for a couple of days (ever since downloading iOS7 and installing the new Evernote -- hours would be more precise i guess) primarily on the iPad, and I see empty notes, notes that do not match what I know I wrote in them... I can't reinstall the app, because i have to copy out the last fifty? or so notes.

My recommendation would be to add those sync arrows back into the app. I wish I would have known sooner what was happening. When in doubt, I'd suggest erring on the side of giving users too many diagnostic tools / cues.

• Level 5*

I still don't understand how to get rid of the Announcements thing and while no it's not the end of the world, it is taking up space that I don't want it taking up.

You have to open every announcement, I think, to get it to move tot he bottom of the screen.

• Level 5*

(10) Data loss

- The situation with the sync is far more dire than I realized. Something is syncing somewhere after all, but it is destroying my data. Is this iOS or Mac? I can't tell, but judging by the timing... I think iOS is the culprit. For example, I have a note with two versions in my note history:

September 19, 2013 9:45:40 PM CDT

(Current version) Import

September 19, 2013 9:46:05 PM CDT

The current version is older (9:45) than the newer version (9:46), and it contains no data. The newer version (9:46) only contains some data, but is missing a ton of data that has apparently disappeared. How does an older version of my note sync over a newer version? I suspect the empty old one comes from the iPad. I can't tell if other notes are experiencing this problem.

As always, I recommend lots of backups. I'll be able to dig up my data somehow once I get it off the iPad and can compare notes to what I have on the Mac.

• Level 5*

Grumps, you could try turning off the background syncing if you think it's causing a problem

Yep. I am a step ahead of you there.

For anyone experiencing this problem, I think the first step is to turn off background syncing and close the app. I plan to open the app later with the wifi turned off, copy out the data, delete the app, and then turn the wifi back on. I will compare the data I have copied out with the stuff on my Mac and the stuff in Time Machine.

[EDIT:] By the way, I don't know how widespread this is yet. So far, there is just one note suffering this problem. Is user error a possibility? Maybe. I don't know how I got an older version of the note to go over a newer one, though.

Since I upgraded to iOS7 on my iPad (only), every character I type scrolls the screen up one line until I can no longer see the text. Not on every note - just some. I tried copying to another note and deleting the original note, but still happening to that particular note. This doesn't happen on my iPhone (same note), also upgraded to iOS7.

Maybe you could add to this list putting Search in main screen? I know this isn't a bug, but I think many of us foind disturbing needing to enter into Notebooks, Tags or another section just to search when this is one of the most important (and publicity) features in EN.

• Level 5*

Maybe you could add to this list putting Search in main screen? I know this isn't a bug, but I think many of us foind disturbing needing to enter into Notebooks, Tags or another section just to search when this is one of the most important (and publicity) features in EN.

Sounds great to me! Add in any feature requests you want. I've been asking for that for a very long time as well :)

• Level 5*

OK. The problem is looking to be widespread. I had a very important note lose its data in the same way. This is painful. I'll try and recover the data, but this was created mainly on the iPad, so it is probably lost for good. You can't backup something that hasn't synced :(

September 18, 2013 9:41:15 PM CDT

(Current version) Import

September 18, 2013 9:41:23 PM CDT Import

• Pressing on a shortcut to a notebook will often take you to 'All Notes’. This 'All Notes' view will only contain 5 or 6 random notes. *1
  • Text editing is a pain, cursor often disappears in magnifying glass. 
  • No spellcheck red-underline.
  • Tap on mis-spelt word, offers no correction.
  • Text size is too small. *2
  • In a list of notes, tap a note and slide up to scroll. Note turns grey and opens on release. (iPhone only)
  • Search from inside a notebook, searches ALL NOTES, not JUST the notebook you are currently in.
  • Sometimes freezes whist typing in the search bar. Quit/re-launch needed.

*1 Workaround: Remove Notebooks from shortcuts.

*2 Workaround: Pinch-to-zoom, not ideal though.

I had the jump issue when typing also, but that seems to have been resolved today.

My question is what happened to the tab feature when typing text?  The icon is there, it is just shadowed and not operational.  I happen to use it a lot and doing all the spacing over is ridulous. 

I still don't understand how to get rid of the Announcements thing and while no it's not the end of the world, it is taking up space that I don't want it taking up.

You have to open every announcement, I think, to get it to move tot he bottom of the screen.

It's confusing and a waste of screen space and redundant for anyone but a brand new user who has never used Evernote before. It needs to go.

• Level 5*

Knowing this doesn't help Grumpy, I will note that after EN update (done before iOS 7 install) and then the iOS 7 install, EN seems to be working with no issues on my 3rdGen iPad.

I hope the information I provided will help you to keep an eye out for problems. I am on the iPad 3 with a fresh iOS 7 install and fresh Evernote install. Everything "looked" OK, but it is definitely not OK. I was in a meeting today, pulled up the note with all of the key data I was going to talk about, and the note was some earlier version (not empty, but also missing data). It was unpleasant. Ugh.

Anecdotal tales of woe aside, the issue here (in my mind) is that I do not know what is syncing, when it is syncing, if it is syncing, or how it is syncing. I am guessing that if you use your iPad to view notes right now, you won't have issues. If you are using your iPad to edit notes, though, I think you'll want to make sure you keep a "backup" (copy/paste out the note into another app or mail just in case). Maybe I am a unique case here. I don't know yet. That is why I am reporting here. However, it is better safe than sorry!

[EDIT:] This note history thing might be a red herring. A lot of my notes (at least 29 by my count) have "older" versions of notes as the most recent ones, but the content in the "older" versions is actually "newer," so maybe I am just confused. At any rate, I have only figured out two notes with missing data.

• Level 5*
  • Pressing on a shortcut to a notebook will often take you to 'All Notes’. This 'All Notes' view will only contain 5 or 6 random notes. *1
  • Text editing is a pain, cursor often disappears in magnifying glass. 
  • No spellcheck red-underline.
  • Tap on mis-spelt word, offers no correction.
  • Text size is too small. *2
  • In a list of notes, tap a note and slide up to scroll. Note turns grey and opens on release. (iPhone only)
  • Search from inside a notebook, searches ALL NOTES, not JUST the notebook you are currently in.
  • Sometimes freezes whist typing in the search bar. Quit/re-launch needed.
*1 Workaround: Remove Notebooks from shortcuts.

*2 Workaround: Pinch-to-zoom, not ideal though.

I've merged your thread into this one because it is a general list of bugs and feature requests.

Since I upgraded to iOS7 on my iPad (only), every character I type scrolls the screen up one line until I can no longer see the text. Not on every note - just some. I tried copying to another note and deleting the original note, but still happening to that particular note. This doesn't happen on my iPhone (same note), also upgraded to iOS7.

• Level 5*

(10) Lost Data

- This is an update on the lost data. One thing I have seen is that my iPad keeps writing over some of my notes. What seems to be happening is that the iPad syncs at unknown intervals. If I edit something there and then go over to the Mac, my changes will be overwritten when the iPad decides to sync. I have no idea if this is connected in any way to the problems I previously reported, but it is a minor data loss issue. Again, without any way to know if notes have synced, we are flying blind at the moment, so it is difficult to keep things straight. Ideally, the sync would sort itself out, but that is most definitely not what is happening.

[EDIT:] Everything seems to be syncing fine at the moment. I can reproduce the minor data loss mentioned above, but the major loss I originally reported does not seem to be occurring with any of the notes I am observing right now. I will keep an eye out for any changes and try to catch some logs if something happens.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Just wanted to respond to a couple quick comments:

• Intitle search issues -- GM, can you send me details? It appears to work for me here.
  • Announcements -- we'll be making a change in our next version to move the section to the bottom of your list once you've opened it once (rather than once you've read all the articles). 
  • Snippet view options will come back in a future version; they just didn't make the first pass.
  • Search from inside a notebook, searches ALL NOTES, not JUST the notebook you are currently in. -- Confirmed this. Will be fixed in an upcoming version.

Folks reporting text editor or cursor issues -- please get in touch with tech support. We're not able to reproduce these issues in v7 on our test notes, but would love help tracking this down if its still happening.

• Level 5*

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Just wanted to respond to a couple quick comments:

• Intitle search issues -- GM, can you send me details? It appears to work for me here.
  • Announcements -- we'll be making a change in our next version to move the section to the bottom of your list once you've opened it once (rather than once you've read all the articles). 
  • Snippet view options will come back in a future version; they just didn't make the first pass.
  • Search from inside a notebook, searches ALL NOTES, not JUST the notebook you are currently in. -- Confirmed this. Will be fixed in an upcoming version.
Folks reporting text editor or cursor issues -- please get in touch with tech support. We're not able to reproduce these issues in v7 on our test notes, but would love help tracking this down if its still happening.

Thanks for checking in. Here are some screenshots. I haven't been able to get any intitle searches to work. Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/2b727474-c361-4df2-9bcd-4b88197cf4bf/0417f68d2a2d5eb188afc034dc573f02

Feedback regarding Evernote 7 on ios.

The update looks nice with a cleaner, more useful UI. I
would like to request two things.

1. Remove the "What's new" section. This is a waste of
space. It's also very tacky - it's the kind of thing that
normally happens to software when it's in serious decline.
Just before the walls finally come down the marketing
department gets control.

2. Update Evernote for mac to be cleaner and more functional
(right now I'm using shortcuts as a substitute for a
functional folder system)

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks for checking in. Here are some screenshots. I haven't been able to get any intitle searches to work. Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/2b727474-c361-4df2-9bcd-4b88197cf4bf/0417f68d2a2d5eb188afc034dc573f02

Nope -- I was.... by using an internal build. I can confirm this is a bug, and is fixed in the next version. Sorry about the confusion! :)

I have been using Evernote for six months and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. After installing iOS 7 and the Evernote upgrade I feel like a giant step backwards. I have tried to add notes only to never see them again. When I searched for the note by name they do not exist.

Also, I have not been able to find "tags" in this new system. It is so helpful to be able to add them, it would be a true shame it tags were removed from this update.

It would be helpful if Evernote would have information on the web to support the update.

• Level 5

To whom it may concern.

I am very disappointed with the new iOS version. It still seems to be on an early beta stadium but obviously had to be released with iOS7 as soon as possible.

I experienced all the issues mentioned in various posts, sync problems, notes loss, lots of crashes, problems with the new editor, lost features, wrong notes opening when clicking on a snippet, ..., and this in a matter of hours after upgrading.

I just don't have time for this and I looked for an alternative. I found Clever HD and the problems are solved! A clean interface, better functionality, its stable and just works. The folks at Evernote will have a hard time to bring me back to their own app!

Greetings from Germany,

Bernd

Nope -- I was.... by using an internal build. I can confirm this is a bug, and is fixed in the next version. Sorry about the confusion! :)

Is this why you couldn't reproduce the text editing bugs too? - (disappearing cursor in magnifying glass, no spellcheck red-underline or corrections offered?)

• Level 5

Hello, here is some more feedback of a premium Evernote user for the new iPad version for iOS7.

I should have known from my experience with the last major update and waited for some weeks or months before switching. But from the Evernote blog and the enthusiastic statements about the new design I immediatly upgraded and this was a big mistake!

This was the worst ever experience I had in my life with a new program version and I will let you know why.

The problems I have are related to three main areas:

- Functionality

- Usability and Design

- Stability

Lets start with the first:

Functionality

Why would anybody remove useful functionality from an app and hope the users would like it?

Examples:

- Related Notes are missing

- Searches cannot be saved

- No fast scrolling to later notes (only when using alphabetic order)

- No map screen

- Reduced and buggy functionality of the note editor:

- No paragraph styles

- No indentation (only for lists)

- Auto-scroll to bottom so that keyboard always hides text

- Almost unuseable lens feature with missing caret

Usability and Design

I installed iOS7 immediately before Evernote and I admit it takes some time to get used to the flat look and the different colors and texture free backgrounds but I am starting to see the benefits. But who came up with the idea to use this awful new green in a way that makes things difficult to read? Light green text on a darker green background on the Home Screen or barely readable green on grey above the keyboard in the editor? Ugly!

And why is the home screen only using one third of the screen while the rest of the screen is not used? And the top part of this tiny space is used by your notifications and in order to bring it down, you have to select all of them, frustrating. By the way, after a crash they all appear as unread and one has to select all of them again.

The snippet list of notes is also bad. Why is the available space (in landscape mode) not used? And why is it not possible to use the complete space for scrolling the list? My thumbs are just too short to scroll!

And why is it necessary to first open the additional info by tapping 'more...' until the text "delete note" appears to delete a note? Well hidden!

Another well hidden feature is the way to empty the trash completely. First you need to open the trash, then you need to select the snippets view and select a single entry and there it is, the Empty Trash button. It took some time to find that secret!

Stability

And last but not least, the app is very buggy. In the first hour I experienced a crash every other minute. Apart from the crashes I found bugs every other minute, here just a few:

- At first, I didn't see my notes. Only after re-installation of the app and switching off the new background sync

feature I saw my notes

- I changed some notes and re-opened them and sometimes found old content. Is my data safe? I doubt it.

- I clicked on a snippet and another note was opened

- I did searches and couldn't find existing notes. The -tag: doesn't work, wildcards don't work, intitle: doesn't

work, what else?

- After the searches I could't open the notes or some of them

- The notes in offline notebooks are not completely downloaded

- Notes sometimes cannot be deleted (there is a well hidden red text to erase but it doesn't always work)

All in all a very frustrating experience. I immediately looked for an alternative and found Clever HD. It is so much better although it might not look as fancy and modern. The only thing I miss so far is reminders but I have used Evernote for a long time without them. Until the Evernote app is fixed and the original set of functions returns I will use Clever, sorry.

Or is it possible to switch back to the last version without restoring the complete iPad and reinstalling iOS7 but not Evernote? If yes, I would love to go back.

A frustrated premium user.

• Level 5*

Hello, here is some more feedback of a premium Evernote user for the new iPad version for iOS7.

I should have known from my experience with the last major update and waited for some weeks or months before switching. But from the Evernote blog and the enthusiastic statements about the new design I immediatly upgraded and this was a big mistake!

This was the worst ever experience I had in my life with a new program version and I will let you know why.

The problems I have are related to three main areas:

- Functionality

- Usability and Design

- Stability

Lets start with the first:

Functionality

Why would anybody remove useful functionality from an app and hope the users would like it?

Examples:

- Related Notes are missing

- Searches cannot be saved

- No fast scrolling to later notes (only when using alphabetic order)

- No map screen

- Reduced and buggy functionality of the note editor:

- No paragraph styles

- No indentation (only for lists)

- Auto-scroll to bottom so that keyboard always hides text

- Almost unuseable lens feature with missing caret

Usability and Design

I installed iOS7 immediately before Evernote and I admit it takes some time to get used to the flat look and the different colors and texture free backgrounds but I am starting to see the benefits. But who came up with the idea to use this awful new green in a way that makes things difficult to read? Light green text on a darker green background on the Home Screen or barely readable green on grey above the keyboard in the editor? Ugly!

And why is the home screen only using one third of the screen while the rest of the screen is not used? And the top part of this tiny space is used by your notifications and in order to bring it down, you have to select all of them, frustrating. By the way, after a crash they all appear as unread and one has to select all of them again.

The snippet list of notes is also bad. Why is the available space (in landscape mode) not used? And why is it not possible to use the complete space for scrolling the list? My thumbs are just too short to scroll!

And why is it necessary to first open the additional info by tapping 'more...' until the text "delete note" appears to delete a note? Well hidden!

Another well hidden feature is the way to empty the trash completely. First you need to open the trash, then you need to select the snippets view and select a single entry and there it is, the Empty Trash button. It took some time to find that secret!

Stability

And last but not least, the app is very buggy. In the first hour I experienced a crash every other minute. Apart from the crashes I found bugs every other minute, here just a few:

- At first, I didn't see my notes. Only after re-installation of the app and switching off the new background sync

feature I saw my notes

- I changed some notes and re-opened them and sometimes found old content. Is my data safe? I doubt it.

- I clicked on a snippet and another note was opened

- I did searches and couldn't find existing notes. The -tag: doesn't work, wildcards don't work, intitle: doesn't

work, what else?

- After the searches I could't open the notes or some of them

- The notes in offline notebooks are not completely downloaded

- Notes sometimes cannot be deleted (there is a well hidden red text to erase but it doesn't always work)

All in all a very frustrating experience. I immediately looked for an alternative and found Clever HD. It is so much better although it might not look as fancy and modern. The only thing I miss so far is reminders but I have used Evernote for a long time without them. Until the Evernote app is fixed and the original set of functions returns I will use Clever, sorry.

Or is it possible to switch back to the last version without restoring the complete iPad and reinstalling iOS7 but not Evernote? If yes, I would love to go back.

A frustrated premium user.

Hi. I've taken the liberty of merging your general list of bugs and feature requests into this existing thread. I'm glad to hear that you found a solution with Clever HD. You might also want to try remotely logging into your Mac (I use logmein), because it will give you access to a full range of features.

As you can see in this thread and elsewhere, Evernote has acknowledged some bugs and expressed their intention to adopt some feature requests as well as bring back other missing features.

my two cents here, on the new iOS Apple elegantly adds gestures to help on navigation, Evernote either ignored this or is planning for a later version, but having those would greatly enhance consistency across the OS and enhance usability, one example is the swipe from out of the left screen to the right, this in Mail or Settings (or any Apple app) takes you one page back/one menu up. This could be used in Evernote when we are looking at a notes list, to get back to notebook selection or back to the home screen.
Also the search feature you've been requesting GrumpyMonkey, could be nicely implemented w this, a swipe in the home screen from top to bottom could pop a search box, spotlight style.

• Level 5*

(10) Data Loss

- I lost more data. Kind of. I have been working on a note all day on my Mac, and it suddenly disappeared. It wasn't in the Trash, it wasn't on the Web. It was gone, and without the note I couldn't even look for an earlier version.I spent an hour or so trying to track it down, but gave up, and was trying to reconstruct everything from my latest version of the Time Machine backup. I've never seen this before on the Mac. Then I had a thought...

- I looked on my iPad and there it was. Background syncing was off, but the app was open, so I guess it was still syncing. The iPad is erasing my notes from the Web and OSX? That is what seems to be happening. I can't be sure, of course, but I'd recommend looking into this.

- Unfortunately, I have no idea how widespread the issue is. I am going through my notes again to see how they compare to the ones on the iPad. With several thousand notes, this is going to take a while...

As for other users, it looks to me that even if you are just using the iPad app to view notes it can be destructive. I'd strongly recommend that people keep regular backups.

I think this new design is much better than the last version, which I viewed as very flawed.

But I do miss the blue indicator if a note has been synced.

I'm also experiencing a problem with portrait iPhone photos in a note. They're coming out rotated 90-degrees in both thumbnail view, and on the Evernote web client. The last version of Evernote on the iPhone would display and rotate these to the correct orientation.

The iOS 7 version of EN for iPhone and iPad was a shock to the eyes. The monochromatic appearance is clean but unattractive. It looks washed out, not at all as vibrant as the previous version. I have noticed that the navigation is much more restrictive as well. We are limited to a narrow strip along the left side of the screen. This function makes Tags unusable. I have dozens of "stacked" tags that I use to group notes. They can't be read at all in the list if they are more than a few characters in length. For example I have a stacked tag list called "Active Projects". This stacked list has many tags in the stack like "Active Project: Harris". In the iOS 7 version the tags are in very small "bubbles" on the navigation strip. This list as well as dozens of other tags are now useless because of the character limit in these tag bubbles. Now all I can get in the iOS 7 version is a group of tags that look like the attached photo. In order to find the correct tag, I have to type out the complete tag name in the "Find a Tag" search. 

I hope this gets fixed fast. I need EN for iOS 7 to work. This tag issue will seriously handicap me! 

post-136567-0-07265300-1379800056_thumb.

Suddenly I can't open Notea to a full page to edit. When you open the Notebook, then click on the note you want to edit, it comes up on the right-hand side of the screen. Unfortunately the list stays open on the left-hand side and you *can* edit, but you can't see the whole page and you can't format the text.

This is not good for me as I have to use an iPad and Evernote for school. I wouldn't choose either, but here we are. I really liked using it for about three weeks, but I'm going to see if our professor will allow us to use a more functional program.

• Level 5

(10) Data Loss- I lost more data. Kind of. I have been working on a note all day on my Mac, and it suddenly disappeared. It wasn't in the Trash, it wasn't on the Web. It was gone, and without the note I couldn't even look for an earlier version.I spent an hour or so trying to track it down, but gave up, and was trying to reconstruct everything from my latest version of the Time Machine backup. I've never seen this before on the Mac. Then I had a thought...- I looked on my iPad and there it was. Background syncing was off, but the app was open, so I guess it was still syncing. The iPad is erasing my notes from the Web and OSX? That is what seems to be happening. I can't be sure, of course, but I'd recommend looking into this.- Unfortunately, I have no idea how widespread the issue is. I am going through my notes again to see how they compare to the ones on the iPad. With several thousand notes, this is going to take a while...As for other users, it looks to me that even if you are just using the iPad app to view notes it can be destructive. I'd strongly recommend that people keep regular backups.

I also have a strange feeling about data sync. I have created a note about a week ago but it now carries the creation date of yesterday, and by the way the same date as 'last modified'. But I am sure neither I created nor modified the note yesterday.

I will not use the Evernote iOS client until at least the sync issue is solved. It's too risky for me to loose important notes or mix up content and dates.

• Level 5

The iOS 7 version of EN for iPhone and iPad was a shock to the eyes. The monochromatic appearance is clean but unattractive. It looks washed out, not at all as vibrant as the previous version. I have noticed that the navigation is much more restrictive as well. We are limited to a narrow strip along the left side of the screen. This function makes Tags unusable. I have dozens of "stacked" tags that I use to group notes. They can't be read at all in the list if they are more than a few characters in length. For example I have a stacked tag list called "Active Projects". This stacked list has many tags in the stack like "Active Project: Harris". In the iOS 7 version the tags are in very small "bubbles" on the navigation strip. This list as well as dozens of other tags are now useless because of the character limit in these tag bubbles. Now all I can get in the iOS 7 version is a group of tags that look like the attached photo. In order to find the correct tag, I have to type out the complete tag name in the "Find a Tag" search.

I hope this gets fixed fast. I need EN for iOS 7 to work. This tag issue will seriously handicap me!

Well, my guess is that the iPad version actually is a blown-up iPhone version. It doesn't really use the additional space for more functionality or a better usability. For such an approach the tab design of the previous version was far better!

• Level 5

Hi. I've taken the liberty of merging your general list of bugs and feature requests into this existing thread.

Thank you GrumpMonkey. This is the right place for my post.

I'm glad to hear that you found a solution with Clever HD. You might also want to try remotely logging into your Mac (I use logmein), because it will give you access to a full range of features.

I am a Windows user but of course I could use a similar solution for that OS. But with the iPad I am just so much faster. It is always with me, switched on in a second and feels much more natural as a device for Evernote. And I don't want to keep my PC running all the time.

As you can see in this thread and elsewhere, Evernote has acknowledged some bugs and expressed their intention to adopt some feature requests as well as bring back other missing features.

Well, considering all the bugs and feature requests this might take some time.

Is there an iPhone client like Clever HD for iPad to use until (or to replace) Evernote fixes the app? This was a terrible 'upgrade'. My app freezes and is unusable. If you delete and reinstall it will work for a short period until freezing up again.

• Evernote Expert

I am away from home , without a wifi connection, so I obviously cannot afford to upgrade my ipad. I was really excited , but I regretted being unable to upgrade to the new version for ios, but I have got a shocker here. I find so many power en users voicing their displeasure, which is seriously bad. I suppose, we had a similar experience with the new web clipper for chrome as well.

Off late, we are finding that en has released several buggy versions of software, keeping the aim of adding newer features or a better design. I hope, that we get to see less of this trend.

As for me, I am willing to wait to hold my horses ( not that I can afford huge data bandwidth at the moment ) , although normally, I used to super excited when a new release came about in Evernote.

I feel sorry for the guys, especially the power users who are going through The teething issues of IOS 7 version of Evernote.

After upgrading my iPhone 5 to iOS 7 I upgrading to the new version of Evernote was a no brainer. Unfortunately I believe that the software has lost a great deal of its functionality in effort to be new has removed key features.

Fortunately the previous version of Evernote was in my trash and I managed to reinstall it and revert to version 5.4.3 So all is back to normal now and I just need to make sure I don't accidentally update until all of the various issues are sorted.

Seriously guys, what were you thinking? The new update seems like a clear case of "being too close to it see where you've missed". Sure it's feature rich, and does so much more, but I spend more time trying to figure out how to use the new features than I spend creating my notes. To make matters worse, I spend more time trying to figure out how to use the old features (that I was accustomed to using) than I do creating new notes and notebooks. What I liked about Evernote was its simplicity. It's no longer simple. It's no longer fast, efficient, and intuitive. I never had to think to use Evernote. I just used it. It did what I wanted the way I expected it to. The tile format was nothing short of brilliant and my most appreciated feature. It looked like nothing else, and it was extremely easy to visually find what I needed quickly. Evernote was the most efficient productivity tool that I had ever seen since the discovery of the iphone itself.

Why fix what's not broken? It was already great and didn't need to be completely redesigned. It mirrors the new ios in the way that it is full of features but looks awful. Tho old design and color scheme was a comfortable and practical work environment that was easy to see and use while performing other life tasks simultaneously. Unfortunately too many developers are getting caught up into Apple's hype about minimalism and efficiency, and buying into eliminating aesthetically pleasing and practical design in the name of "streamlining" efficiency - but the fact of the matter is, if you've already had an app with limited features and confusing options, then you have already succeeded in this vein, and rethinking, rebuilding, and eliminating important features (like decent design and navigation), while adding others, you have successfully accomplished the opposite - the concept of creating complexity from simplicity, and bringing chaos to what was already orderly.

So now I'm searching for an alternative application to help give me back the productivity that I once new . . . or I'll be left to develop my own. Thank you for your contribution. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

SF,
Efficiency Expert, Consultant

• Level 5*

Seriously guys, what were you thinking? The new update seems like a clear case of "being too close to it see where you've missed". Sure it's feature rich, and does so much more, but I spend more time trying to figure out how to use the new features than I spend creating my notes. To make matters worse, I spend more time trying to figure out how to use the old features (that I was accustomed to using) than I do creating new notes and notebooks. What I liked about Evernote was its simplicity. It's no longer simple. It's no longer fast, efficient, and intuitive. I never had to think to use Evernote. I just used it. It did what I wanted the way I expected it to. The tile format was nothing short of brilliant and my most appreciated feature. It looked like nothing else, and it was extremely easy to visually find what I needed quickly. Evernote was the most efficient productivity tool that I had ever seen since the discovery of the iphone itself.

Why fix what's not broken? It was already great and didn't need to be completely redesigned. It mirrors the new ios in the way that it is full of features but looks awful. Tho old design and color scheme was a comfortable and practical work environment that was easy to see and use while performing other life tasks simultaneously. Unfortunately too many developers are getting caught up into Apple's hype about minimalism and efficiency, and buying into eliminating aesthetically pleasing and practical design in the name of "streamlining" efficiency - but the fact of the matter is, if you've already had an app with limited features and confusing options, then you have already succeeded in this vein, and rethinking, rebuilding, and eliminating important features (like decent design and navigation), while adding others, you have successfully accomplished the opposite - the concept of creating complexity from simplicity, and bringing chaos to what was already orderly.

So now I'm searching for an alternative application to help give me back the productivity that I once new . . . or I'll be left to develop my own. Thank you for your contribution. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

SF,

Hi. Welcome to the forums! I am sure the developers appreciate your feedback on the interface.

Personally, I am quite pleased with the changes that were made. I have some complaints, of course, as I've made clear here. But overall it is a far superior interface (in my opinion). The features that they plan to add back into it (list-y snippet view, places, etc.) will make it a lot better, and some of my design quibbles aside, I can't think of many design elements from the last one that I would want back in the app. I encourage you to give it a try for a few days and see if your opinion changes.

As for other apps, there are lots of plain text apps out there, though few that are really adequate for large numbers of notes. For multi-media notes, I think the field decreases a lot, and you'll probably only find a handful of alternatives. I think that is in part because it is tough to make an app work so well on iOS much less on every other platform. If design is your only complaint, I'd recommend putting those concerns aside to enjoy all of the other available features.

This is a real heart-breaker.  

I upgraded my iPad-3, I had to restore the iPad-3 to factory defaults and reload everything.  Accordingly, the newest iPad-Evernote got loaded.

Of course it was virgin and empty due to the factory default reset of the iPad,

Only 4 out of about 100 offline notebooks sync'ed, then no more syncing.  I tried every recommendation out there, internet is fine, other apps are fine, etc.

Edit Update 9-23-13, after Upgrading Evernote:

I previously reported incompatibility.  Edit is to remove that.  Upon restoring my iPad to factory default, hence as if it's new/virgin, then

building everything back up, not from backup but from iTunes.  The newest version of Evernote (I think it might have been out then, but I'm not sure),

didn't factor into the reload of the iPad 3 from iTunes.  I-tunes was logged into Apple at the time, but that's neither here nor there.

Instead of the newest version of Evernote migrating to the iPad, the prior version got loaded and I didn't know that until the next day, when I went to the iTunes App store and discovered that an upgrade is available.  

So, I performed the upgrade, then Evernote finished loading the offline notes.  

Apologies for not ascertaining this prior to upgrading my iPad.  I'll re-hash this at the end of this message thread so it won't be missed. 

I haven't run into the other unrelated issues raised in this message thread, so I can't comment.  

Bottom line, it appears that the new Evernote is good for sync'ing.   

The Evernote transition to iOS 7 has been botched, badly.  After installing iOS7, I encountered the scrolling-out-of-sight-when-you-type phenomenon on my iPhone.  Then I read somewhere that I needed the new version of Evernote.  So I went to the App Store and it WASN'T THERE!  After hunting around some more, I finally found it on one of the many inane Evernote promotional pages.  If you guys put more effort into your product and less into your advertising, you'd be getting somewhere.

Now I have the problem of things not syncing like they should.  If I make a change on my PC, even if I manually sync there (which I really shouldn't have to do), the changes don't appear in the actual note on my phone, at least not for quite a while, even if I also manually sync the phone (which I really shouldn't have to do). They show up in the little thumbnail of the note, but not in the note itself.  And no, clearing the Evernote cache on the phone doesn't help.

Memo to Evernote: IF YOUR SYNCING IS NOT RELIABLE, YOUR PRODUCT IS WORTHLESS.

And of course, the helpful blue arrow is gone, so who knows what's happening at any given time?

Finally, the stupid "Announcements" that you can't get off your phone unless you open each and every one of them?  That may be the last straw for a lot of people.  I'm going to spend some time this week copying my Evernote files and looking around for something else.

I don't do beta.  This thing on my phone at the moment is definitely in the beta zone.  Come on, Evernote!

So now I'm searching for an alternative application to help give me back the productivity that I once new . . . or I'll be left to develop my own. Thank you for your contribution. I enjoyed it while it lasted.SF,

Hi. Welcome to the forums! I am sure the developers appreciate your feedback on the interface.

Personally, I am quite pleased with the changes that were made. I have some complaints, of course, as I've made clear here. But overall it is a far superior interface (in my opinion). The features that they plan to add back into it (list-y snippet view, places, etc.) will make it a lot better, and some of my design quibbles aside, I can't think of many design elements from the last one that I would want back in the app. I encourage you to give it a try for a few days and see if your opinion changes.

As for other apps, there are lots of plain text apps out there, though few that are really adequate for large numbers of notes. For multi-media notes, I think the field decreases a lot, and you'll probably only find a handful of alternatives. I think that is in part because it is tough to make an app work so well on iOS much less on every other platform. If design is your only complaint, I'd recommend putting those concerns aside to enjoy all of the other available features.

So now I'm searching for an alternative application to help give me back the productivity that I once new . . . or I'll be left to develop my own. Thank you for your contribution. I enjoyed it while it lasted.SF,

I could not disagree more. They have significantly degraded Evernote and Bojack is right on with his complaints..

• Level 5*

I could not disagree more. They have significantly degraded Evernote and Bojack is right on with his complaints..

Hi. You are welcome to disagree, of course, but I am not sure we are in disagreement. I was responding to a post by chefshane, whose main complaint seemed to be the overall design, which I think is quite nice. I think we could agree to disagree about appearances, but my point was that if it is just the appearance that is the problem, then I'd give it a pass, because I value function over form.

I never responded to Bojack. In fact, I agree with some of his criticisms and I mentioned some of them myself earlier in this very thread. If I agree with Bojack, and you agree with Bojack, then do you really disagree with me?

• Level 5

Personally, I am quite pleased with the changes that were made. I have some complaints, of course, as I've made clear here. But overall it is a far superior interface (in my opinion).

Hi again,

I could agree that the new interface design has the potential to be better than the previous one for the iPhone mainly in one aspect: removing the tabs leaves more space for the content.

But I totally disagree when talking about the iPad. As I mentioned in an earlier post I suspect that the iPad version is a slight adaptation of the iPhone version. This is the reason why the home page on the iPad is much too small and why some functionality is missing e.g. the indentation and paragraph style in the editor because the icons just didn't fit on the top of the keyboard on an iPhone or a delete button that can be reached more easily and not only after selecting 'more...'.

The design is not at all using the bigger space of the iPad and keeps the restrictions due to the limited space of the iPhone. Therefore the old design was by far superior for the iPad.

And imho if important functionality is removed for the sake of a new design the design has failed!

I just hope and I am still optimistic that the developers will make good use of our complaints and present a much better version soon. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

• Level 5*

Personally, I am quite pleased with the changes that were made. I have some complaints, of course, as I've made clear here. But overall it is a far superior interface (in my opinion).

Hi again,

I could agree that the new interface design has the potential to be better than the previous one for the iPhone mainly in one aspect: removing the tabs leaves more space for the content.

But I totally disagree when talking about the iPad. As I mentioned in an earlier post I suspect that the iPad version is a slight adaptation of the iPhone version. This is the reason why the home page on the iPad is much too small and why some functionality is missing e.g. the indentation and paragraph style in the editor because the icons just didn't fit on the top of the keyboard on an iPhone or a delete button that can be reached more easily and not only after selecting 'more...'.

The design is not at all using the bigger space of the iPad and keeps the restrictions due to the limited space of the iPhone. Therefore the old design was by far superior for the iPad.

And imho if important functionality is removed for the sake of a new design the design has failed!

I just hope and I am still optimistic that the developers will make good use of our complaints and present a much better version soon. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Hi. I think it actually makes good use of the iPad space (in many cases, not all). As for some of the missing design elements, my understanding from reading posts on the forums is that we will be getting some back:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42674-evernote-for-ios-7-feedback/?p=228339

We sometimes lose "important" functionality with updates (in my experience). For example, we once lost 2/3 of our sorts, and we are only back to 1/2 of them now, which is about 1/5 of the total possible sort options (available on the Windows client). We have also lost numbers, search capabilities, etc. at one time or another. I think that is part of the continual process of culling in the app. I don't like it either, but that is just how it goes. Besides the obvious bugs (like lost search capabilities), it is a difference of opinion about what is "important," and not a failure, in my opinion.

Of course, if I had my druthers, we'd have a list view with just one line of text, and there would be a search bar displayed on every page with the ability to search not only our own notebooks, but every one of our joined ones as well. We'd also have the ability to create note links, batch process notes (select multiple notes for some kind of action), control fonts, use markup, and all sorts of other wonderful features! It's not that I disagree with you about wanting more stuff and better space usage. Rather, I think I have to concede that many users will prefer a "cleaner" (less functional) interface, and we have to accept that Evernote needs to cater to the largest user base in order to stick around in the marketplace. This sometimes means the loss of features we like.

I encourage you to advocate for the return of features! But, make sure to provide use cases and details if you want to convince the developers.

• Level 5

Rather, I think I have to concede that many users will prefer a "cleaner" (less functional) interface, and we have to accept that Evernote needs to cater to the largest user base in order to stick around in the marketplace. This sometimes means the loss of features we like.

I totally agree but only if 'we' means a minority of users or Evernote will not 'stick around' for long. However, reading the comments here and the reviews in the Apple app store I don't have the impression that this is the case for the latest version.

Seriously, I can't even FIND how to DELETE  a note in ios7....I'm sure I'll figure it out, but I've been searching, looking at videos, get started guides, and now the forum and I STILL can't see a garbage icon or delete button to delete my un-needed notes.  Seriously, I'm not THAT stupid, and I've been and EN user a couple of years now.  Yes, I resent even having to ask this.  

• Level 5*

Seriously, I can't even FIND how to DELETE  a note in ios7....I'm sure I'll figure it out, but I've been searching, looking at videos, get started guides, and now the forum and I STILL can't see a garbage icon or delete button to delete my un-needed notes.  Seriously, I'm not THAT stupid, and I've been and EN user a couple of years now.  Yes, I resent even having to ask this.

Hi. I think you slide left on a note (in snippet view). This seems to be an iOS7 thing, as I have seen delete operations changed in other apps (it used to be slide to the right).

• Level 5

In the single note view you can tap on 'more...' and apart from other information a red text 'delete note' appears. Not a good place at all. I would prefer a garbage icon at the bottom of the note. The space should be sufficient.

In July of 2008 I saved my first note to Evernote. I didn't like it at first but over the past year I've become a paid user and have found that it works great for all the notes I want to store for later.  I have no problem with the UI for iOS7 or the redesign or much of anything else except for one change that is now making it a daily aggravation to use on my iPad 2:

Why, oh why, is EN forcing me to login all the time?

I don't get this unfriendly and counter-productive change at all. Don't you get that I already have a passcode to open my iPad to begin with? Why this forced second level of security on an app that I need to go back and forth to, multiple times a day?

Here's the real issue with this "improvement" you've pushed onto users:

If the app has been closed or not used for some period of time, I now must log in from scratch, and to do that I must:

1. Start EN to be reminded it now wants me to login again
  2. Start up SplashID to get the long/complicated password and copy it from there. Note well: To start up my password manager, I must also type in a long, complicated password there as well!
  3. Go back to EN, type in my username (which, thankfully is short because how early I first used EN)
  4. Tap two or three times in the password field to get the Paste icon to come up and then finally paste in the password.
  5. Then, repeat this aggravation regularly.

I thought that setting up a passcode would work, (which is also unnecessary because, as you'll recall, I've already entered a passcode to get into my iPad in the first place), but that only addresses the login aggravation for a max 4 hour time window. Once EN has been quit (iOS7 makes it much easier to quit apps now), then I'm back to the steps above. The only short-term solution I can come up with is to make my password short and easy to remember. Yes, that's right, a short, easy to remember password that will make it quick and easy to break into my Evernote account online! Thus, the solution you've forced on us to make our notes more secure has the opposite effect: Makes it easier to break into my online account so that I can use the iOS version without pulling my hair out and throwing my iPad through the window.

This login requirement has really made me mad! I was enjoying using EN under iOS6 with the previous version of EN but this unnecessary requirement just makes me want to scream. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

Hang on? Why don't you just turn passcode off then?

Am I missing something here?

iPad:

Your name [left top] → Passcode Lock → Off

I'd mentioned that the passcode lock is only good for up to 4 hours, then you have to login again. Are you saying that if you turn off the passcode lock, you never have to login again? (If EN is quit, then you definitely have to login again, so I'm sure of that much.) If the passcode would get you logged back in after the passcode time limit is up, then I could easily live with that. That's just 4 numbers, no big deal. The problem is when I have to log in to my EN account, I have to go get the long and not-easy-to-remember-or-type-in password I use for my account, which is what make the iOS7 version so aggravating. That's my main point in all this.

Two issues I thought I saw early on in this or some other IOS7 discussion but have not seen since:

I'm on an iPhone 4S with IOS7.

1) I Started a note on my windows PC and pressed the sync button. About an hour or two later I opened EN on my phone and noticed that while the title of my note was there, the content was not.

2) I am intermittently unable to edit a note. The note will display, but no amount of tapping, swiping, shaking, or stink-eye allows me to edit the note...Or, it simply freezes the entire app. 

Yes, background syncing is "on."

Is there any way to go back to a previous version of EN?

Correction to my previous comment of incompatibility with iOS-System7.

The newest Evernote is compatible vis a vis sync'ing.  

Update:  I went in and edited my previous post, so I'll re-hash it here for the sake of message-thread continuity. 

Edit Update 9-23-13, after Upgrading Evernote:

I previously reported incompatibility.  Edit is to remove that.  Upon restoring my iPad to factory default, hence as if it's new/virgin, then 

building everything back up, not from backup but from iTunes.  The newest version of Evernote (I think it might have been out then, but I'm not sure), 

didn't factor into the reload of the iPad 3 from iTunes.  I-tunes was logged into Apple at the time, but that's neither here nor there. 

Instead of the newest version of Evernote migrating to the iPad, the prior version got loaded and I didn't know that until the next day, when I went to the iTunes App store and discovered that an upgrade is available.  

So, I performed the upgrade, then Evernote finished loading the offline notes.  

Apologies for not ascertaining this prior to upgrading my iPad. 

I haven't run into the other unrelated issues raised in this message thread, so I can't comment on them. 

Bottom line, it appears that the new Evernote is good for sync'ing.  

I'm giving up on using Evernote for voice memos now.

With the iOS7 version, to make a voice memo, you now have to pilot through three confusing screens.. every time you have to hit this tiny little microphone button after the attachment button.

And now, when I sync these to Windows Evernote -- 5.0.1 .... the audio recordings don't play on windows

I've even made one recording which won't actually play back on iOS.

I give up for now. 

If i am on airplane mode on my iPad i cannot search. All the searches come up with http connection error and no notes found even though there is quite a bit of notes downloaded to my ipad (thousands of notes) including all kinds of content (text, pdf etc).

I like this FLAT version of Evernote. It's so much easier to navigate between notebooks, tags, etc... Feels cleaner too.

Writing setup: iPad Mini + Wireless Keyboard + EN. I occasionally use a desktop.

Two features to make it even better:

1) The ability to move notes between notebooks --- I always write notes into the bag, then categorize them.

2) Larger font size (please!) --- it'll be a lot easier on the eyes.

I understand EN isn't exactly a word processor, and I've learned some workarounds inside the forum, however, it'll be really, really nice if global settings can increase font size.

Thanks for everything. Evernote rocks!

I'm having the same issue as austins and allison... is there any known solution to this yet? Thankfully not having the data loss issues that others are reporting!

Okay, just updated my Evernote and this fixed the issue... so far no sync issues!

Evernote has more or less completely stopped working now that I have updated the app to the newest version on ios7. I cannot type a note, open a note, the ipda isn't syncing with notes typed via a web browser. I don't know if I am the only person experiencin this problem but I haven't been able to type a single not on my ipda through Evernote. I love using Evernote, it makes taking notes in class so much easier. Can someoneplease tell me how to fix this? I

I was trying to make notes while working remotely today and had the same issue. Please fix ASAP. I can't use Evernote until this issue is resolved.

I like the way it looks, but I will say that it strikes me as much less intuitive. Not realizing how drastic the changes were, I found myself fumbling with it today as my meeting started, unable to figure out how to take the exact kind of notes that I've taken dozens of times before. Possibly the old version was no more intuitive, and it's only that I've become accustomed to it, but some features definitely seem hidden compared to the previous version.

I usually start in the notebook where I want the note to reside, and create a new note from there. It was not immediately obvious how to get to a specific notebook, so I created a new note and then edited the notebook field. Now to start the audio recording... I'm still not sure where I found that little microphone, but it was buried in some dropdown or something, not nearly as prevalent and accessible as it was last week. Then it took some time to figure out how to get my note fill the screen. Defaulting to the half-page view seems unhelpful in portrait mode, even on my iPad. And when it was all done, the audio file from my meeting was several orders of magnitude larger than it would have been on the previous version of Evernote. The UI changes I expect to learn and adjust to, but I would like the audio capture to be more obvious. But the file size issue is enough to make me wish I could downgrade to the previous version.

I do think it's pretty, though. If I wanted to stare adoringly at a note-taking app instead of actually take notes, I'd be over the moon with this update.

I had the jump issue when typing also, but that seems to have been resolved today.

My question is what happened to the tab feature when typing text?  The icon is there, it is just shadowed and not operational.  I happen to use it a lot and doing all the spacing over is ridulous. 

I updated a few days ago, but haven't used my iPad until today to take some notes and kept having this jump issue so I had to keep opening up a new note every time I reached the bottom of the screen. Are other people still experiencing this issue? Is there something I can do? 

About a week away from pitching Evernote business to my team at work. I'm a Premium user and I have been bragging about it to everyone for about a year now. This Evernote IOS 7 is just awful, can we revert back to the old interface on IPAD? I am an Android phone but IPad user. I used to just leave Evernote on the stacks tab and could go right to my notebooks and now when the app closes you come back to all notes every time. To delete now you have to open the note first? Why? You can't slide to make note full screen but touch the small arrows, why are you moving backwards. I would build docs on my PC drop it it to a folder and just grab my IPAD for my presentation for both work and play. This is clunky and not what I had expected from Evernote.

I was really happy with the old app this new one is almost unusable. Please let us revert back to the old interface

Hey evernote,

I've been using y'all for a year for school and work. It has worked great! The new update looks great but the only problem I have with it is that sometimes it will type a letter twice.

For eexample, iit might lookk like thiis.

I use a bluetooth keyboard with it on my iPad 2 so this might be my iPad's fault or my keyboard's fault. This did happen about a year ago though but it was fixed eventually through an update.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi everyone,

After reading your postings I finally found the button to delete a note. Thanks for this! Well hided ...

But: if I press the red "delete" button (iPad) the note is still there! So I can not delete notes from iPad! Could anybody help? What I am doing wrong?

Besides, I also assume that the iPad version is only a blown up iPhone Version ...

Thanks in advance

• Level 5

Hi everyone,

After reading your postings I finally found the button to delete a note. Thanks for this! Well hided ...

But: if I press the red "delete" button (iPad) the note is still there! So I can not delete notes from iPad! Could anybody help? What I am doing wrong?

Besides, I also assume that the iPad version is only a blown up iPhone Version ...

Thanks in advance

You are doing noting wrong. For me It doesn't work for all notes as well. This seems to be a bug.

Try to close the App completely (remove from multitasking view) and try it again.

If this doesn't help you can delete a note without opening it by swiping from the right to the left on a note (e.g. in the snippets view) and pressing the appearing trash icon.

Hi everyone,After reading your postings I finally found the button to delete a note. Thanks for this! Well hided ...But: if I press the red "delete" button (iPad) the note is still there! So I can not delete notes from iPad! Could anybody help? What I am doing wrong?Besides, I also assume that the iPad version is only a blown up iPhone Version ...Thanks in advance

You are doing noting wrong. For me It doesn't work for all notes as well. This seems to be a bug. Try to close the App completely (remove from multitasking view) and try it again. If this doesn't help you can delete a note without opening it by swiping from the right to the left on a note (e.g. in the snippets view) and pressing the appearing trash icon.

School user here. I utilize EN in my classes to ensure that when I take notes in lecture, it syncs between all of my systems so that I'm able to have my notes and information with me wherever I go. It's been a fantastic system thus far...until the update.

The biggest issues I have found (thus far):

- The removal of the red line for misspelled words is a huge issue for me. As I'm most often utilizing Evernote during lectures in which I find myself crunched for time with a lot of information, I do not type for accuracy, but instead for information--I used to go through and adjust all of the underlined misspelled words after the lecture, but now I have to go back through and re-read my notes line by line and manually correct the words I missed. It's a sincere impediment to my efficiency.

- The inability of auto-correct to work in my notes goes along with this same idea. It's a huge inconvenience.

- The tab function on my keyboard no longer works in notes, especially for notes in which I am using bullets or numbers. I'm working on an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard, and before the update the tab function worked just fine. Now I have to manually hit the touch screen in order to tab over appropriately, which again, huge impediment to my efficiency and a sincere detriment to the organization of my information.

- I too have that really, really, REALLY unfortunate problem of all of my notes going to a blank screen when I type any character. This is utterly unacceptable.

I enjoy EN and it has been (in the past) such an incredible tool for note-taking and organization of my school work. Please consider fixing some of these issues!

I try to be fairly philosophical about change so I was prepared to put up with the new interface of the post-iOS7 update but the fact some of my most crucial notebooks refuse to synchronise has made my life utter hell at present. I rely on EN so much - at present am in the process of trying to find a nursing home for my elderly mother and take on the management of her "life" (finances etc) due to her sudden brain injury after a fall. The note I am using to keep track of the myriad of details - doctor's contacts, banking details and all the numbers and websites I need to wade through to get her the help she is entitled to - refuses to synchronise on my iPad or iPhone - both of which I stupidly updated last week. I used to be an evangelist for EN - now it has literally made me cry due to not having some information I desperately needed available at a crucial time.

• Level 5

I try to be fairly philosophical about change so I was prepared to put up with the new interface of the post-iOS7 update but the fact some of my most crucial notebooks refuse to synchronise has made my life utter hell at present. I rely on EN so much - at present am in the process of trying to find a nursing home for my elderly mother and take on the management of her "life" (finances etc) due to her sudden brain injury after a fall. The note I am using to keep track of the myriad of details - doctor's contacts, banking details and all the numbers and websites I need to wade through to get her the help she is entitled to - refuses to synchronise on my iPad or iPhone - both of which I stupidly updated last week. I used to be an evangelist for EN - now it has literally made me cry due to not having some information I desperately needed available at a crucial time.

I would recommend to uninstall and reinstall evernote. I found a number of comments saying that this helped with the sync issue.

I haven't installed the new version of Evernote on my ipad. I made the mistake of updating to ios7 earlier in the week and wow, is it hideous...

Anyway, I don't like the new layout or the new shade of green or the horrible checkered background for the ios 7 version of Evernote, so (as a premium user) I'm wondering can I just stick with the version I have going forward, or is that going to be broken later on?

I would recommend to uninstall and reinstall evernote. I found a number of comments saying that this helped with the sync issue.

Thanks, I did uninstall the apps from both my mobile devices plus I made a brand new note that contains all the data I desperately need for the personal crisis. So far, so good (though I've only checked a couple of notes)

However I'm still very miffed - I've been using EN for years - premium for 2 years - and never experienced a problem like this before - I'm not going to stop using it myself (they do deserve a second chance) but I can't imainge I will ever recommend it to anyone again - I would hate to be responsible for someone else being in the situation I was in yesterday - totally reliant on information stored in EN in an emotionally fraught situation and not being able to access critical information.

Am viewing this thread on an iPhone, and so may have missed the issue I want to mention.

When creating a new note, I find that the indent function does not work, no matter what I do: selecting text to indent, or just positioning the cursor where I want some text indented.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is there some method to doing this I am missing?

I have upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 7. but not my iPad. Evernote on my Mac seems to be fine. The iPhone is a different story. The problem seems consistent; If I select a notebook to sync, only notes that are added or modified somewhere else will show up on my iPhone. All unchanged, existing notes will not.

I have a ton of notes I would like to see on my iPhone, but if they are untouched since I have iOS 7 and they are unavailable.

I'm really sorry to see all the problems users are having. For what it's worth - and as another data point for those trying to troubleshoot this - I saw some bugginess right after upgrading to iOS7 but an uninstall and reinstall of EN and fresh download of all notes took care of it for me. Seems to be syncing my 1900 notes fine, with no missing data, and typing new note text doesn't jump at all.

Personally, I like the new interface very much. When the bugs related to search capability are fixed and the announcements are easier to drop to the bottom, it'll be great. Although I do miss the formatting and indent tools mentioned early in this thread - would love to get those back but they're not deal breakers.

Edited to add: I'm using EN on an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5S, plus an iMac and a Windows laptop

• Level 5

Am viewing this thread on an iPhone, and so may have missed the issue I want to mention.

When creating a new note, I find that the indent function does not work, no matter what I do: selecting text to indent, or just positioning the cursor where I want some text indented.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is there some method to doing this I am missing?

Yes, the indent function has been removed for normal text in order to 'streamline' the application. Indentation only works for bulleted or numbered lists now. I don't like it either. Let's hope it will be re-introduced if many users complain.

Hi, besides the described issues here, does anyone has login problems? I am asked EVERY time to login starting the app. Don't yet know if it is an ios7 issue or EN...

Thanks!

Yes, I am having the same problem and would love a fix or help on it. Thanks for posting this issue. 

It appears indent is reserved for billeted lists now. Strange.

Hello,

I've been a premium user for many years. I use the French version of Evernote daily on my iphone 5S, my ipad 3, my macbook and my Windows 7 PC.

I find that the current release of evernote for ipad ios7 is somewhere close to an industrial accident. The transition from the ios6 version feels as bad as moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8. There are plenty of useless redesign and useful features have disappeared.

As I work with several machines at the same time, the visual cue telling me if the note is synced or not is mandatory. I cannot imagine how one could have removed this feature.

Same thing for the full page editing of a note. I do not have an ipad to use only half of the screen.

Also, I loved the presentation of the notes as a grid of squares. I dislike the current presentation as a list. I cannot see as quickly what are my latest notes.

Also, I did not found the settings menu to tune the sync.

And the writings light green on dark green are not readable for me (I am past 50 and I see less than when I was younger), not to mention that they are ugly.

So, please, Evernote managers, wake up, come back with the mere mortals, and give us back our good old Evernote for iPad that was so handy.

Cheers,

Bruno

Archived