Delete reminder note automatically (feature request)

kutez

Idea

Obvious question: why in the world should we be able to do a „To do list” (with the new reminder feature) and not be able to delete items automatically? Here's suggestion to solve this (couldn't find it discussed elsewhere):

1. Notes that only have a title and no content, should be deleted automatically when marked as solved/done.
  2. Notes with content should have a confirmation dialog before being deleted permanently.

Food for thought

The quick add reminder function is great on all platforms, the problem is it adds a new note every time I want to "call mom", and keeps it forever, unless I delete it manually. This creates unnecessary/disturbing clutter and wastes my time. I think, better then the solution above would be the following: whenever I create a reminder that only consists of a title, Evernote should not create a note at all - that way it would not have to delete it when I mark it as done - less computational resources needed, energy friendly, saves the world. :-)

So, whatever the technical solution, automatic deletion of reminder notes should be the no. 1 feature in the next release. The best argument I can think of is that this is the function we use the most to get things done every day. My contribution to saving the world. :ph34r:

P.S. I currently use Evernote for Windows and Android. On Android I keep a separate app (AnyDo) that I've been using until recently for todo's. Quite nice and convenient, but Evernote had the plus of syncing across platforms, and keeping more than just a to do list. However, when my Evernote gets crowded because of hundreds of to do notes, I anticipate I will get back to my previous app.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I kind've agree with you that pure reminder notes maybe should auto-destruct once their job is done,  but I can see situations where I'd like to use the reminder as a basis to record what actually happened - after all I have the date time and place down already..  and what about the dates I miss but have to re-arrange?  I can reset the reminder.

Plus I have a bad feeling about automatically deleting notes.  Maybe move them to a notebook like you get for conflicting edits?  Then at least you can clear out in bulk from time to time.

..Though now I think of it,  there's a search function for reminder dates so you could check out all reminders that have passed their sell-by date and rearrange / delete as required by using a saved search?

• Level 5*

I kind've agree with you that pure reminder notes maybe should auto-destruct once their job is done,  but I can see situations where I'd like to use the reminder as a basis to record what actually happened - after all I have the date time and place down already..

I do exactly this. Not really interested in auto-deleting notes, myself.

On the other hand, if we could have a rule-based system triggered by specific events (like clearing a reminder, etc.) whereby we could add/remove tags, move to different notebook, etc. then having an auto-delete action should be added as well.

Archived