Places disappeared in ios7 update

In answer to my question 'Where has Places view gone in ios7 update' I received the answer 'it may have been removed'!

Location is visible for individual notes, but you can no longer search on a map for nearby notes. With the last update they reduced the previous functionality, not allowing users to limit search to a single notebook/tag, but now they appear to have removed it completely! 

I'm rather annoyed by this as they have previously pushed this usage and it is one of the main ways I use Evernote. Does anybody have any suggestions of third-party apps or other alternatives?

• Level 5*

Yes, this is a huge issue for me, I just downloaded Evernote two days ago and got started with Places, and BOOM it disappears with the update. My husband is a traveling rep for a beer company and the MAIN reason he used Evernote was for that feature. He's fuming right now.

Hi PQ. Welcome to the forums! Please see my answer to your post in the other thread. I think you'll find that my solution works well, though it is certainly less visually appealing, and does require a slight amount of manual effort.

Yes, this is a huge issue for me, I just downloaded Evernote two days ago and got started with Places, and BOOM it disappears with the update. My husband is a traveling rep for a beer company and the MAIN reason he used Evernote was for that feature. He's fuming right now.

Hi PQ. Welcome to the forums! Please see my answer to your post in the other thread. I think you'll find that my solution works well, though it is certainly less visually appealing, and does require a slight amount of manual effort.

I get that solution when you're just trying to keep track of basic locations, like as you mentioned "Home" "Office", etc, but when you're in the city and need to see which of your client locations are near each other to create an itinerary for the day, it's essentially useless. May as well go back to using Google Maps. 

• Level 5*

I get that solution when you're just trying to keep track of basic locations, like as you mentioned "Home" "Office", etc, but when you're in the city and need to see which of your client locations are near each other to create an itinerary for the day, it's essentially useless. May as well go back to using Google Maps.

Indeed. I can see where this would be a problem. I don't think my solution will help much in your case.

This is huge.

How can he say it's the best work they've ever done when they have entirely removed a huge feature?

I've inclined to go to the App Store and give it a 1 star rating. Not sure what good it would do though. They don't seem to be responding to this.

Christopher

This is huge.

How can he say it's the best work they've ever done when they have entirely removed a huge feature?

I've inclined to go to the App Store and give it a 1 star rating. Not sure what good it would do though. They don't seem to be responding to this.

Christopher

I've tweeted them, and so has someone else, about this very issue, but so far radio silence. 

Hey folks!

Thanks for your feedback. We are sorry that Places didn't make the first version of v7, but rest assured -- it will be coming back in a future release.

-Jamie

This is still annoying - you should have informed your users before. What means "in a future release"? I used the places function in my daily business and now it leaves part of my notes useless.

my question: when can i count on the return of the atlas?

- Christopher

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks!

Thanks for your feedback. We are sorry that Places didn't make the first version of v7, but rest assured -- it will be coming back in a future release.

-Jamie

To paraphrase "Crunchy Frog"

Well, I hardly think that's sufficient!  I think it would be more appropriate if the download bore a great red label saying "Warning!  Lark's vomit!"

Or maybe "Warning!  Significant features removed!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Really, I hope this can be rushed back into the system, I used it a lot.  Fortunately I haven't upgraded my ipad to ios7 yet, so it still "works".

Dear Evernote,

This might be your first misstep and it is really upsetting. I am one of your early adopters and evangelists and I must say, this sucks. Here is my personal situation. There are 4 iPhones and 2 iPads in my household all running iOS 7 except my work iPad which is stuck at iOS 6 because of you. Without getting into it, I rely on places and it is one of the most important features I use. I am terified to update my iPad to iOS 7 because I'm afraid I will have to update to the current Evernote. 

So, two questions. 

1. if I update my iPad to iOS 7, will I have to update the Evernote software too thereby loosing places?

2. When can we expect an update to the Evernote software bringing back places? I am excited about the new iPads to be announced this month and plan on buying one but I'm sure they won't run iOS 6. I can't buy one or use one till I know Evernote places is back.

The Places feature is currently in test and will be out in our next version. I cannot give you an exact date, but this is a top priority for us and we'll have it out to you as soon as possible.

Hi Jamie,

This sounds promising... For me, as for other people here, Places is the main reason for using the app.

Do you know if this release will have the ability to filter Places to a specific notebook or search criteria (e.g. display on the map notes from a specific notebook only)?

Many thanks.

The removal of the feature just costed me 650€ this week. Since we organize our service via places on the IPad I missed some spare parts on one of my trips. To correct it will cost me 250 km and at least 6 hours. How many years of free membership do I get to compensate this?

The management of Evernote has to realize there product is essential to some businesses. At leased users should be informed about such an issue and the downgrading to the previous version should always be possible.

I just started with Premium version, but removing such important features like Places is hard to understand. When now it is saying it will come back in next version I'm asking myself what brings Evernote (Marketing Department or so...) doing and undoing such mystery decisions...

I will wait and keep track of all your doing, but I don't really think to extend my Premium account.

Places is back, but just not practical. The map in the upper left corner is too small. I use the IPad most of the time while walking around on construction sites. Holding it with two hands and typing and zooming I do with my two thumbs. I never had problems using the IPad in that way until I had to zoom on the small map in the left corner where I cannot reach it with my right hand. Before the map was full screen and it was no problem at all to use it.

The IPad with Evernote is a tool for me I use 'off-road' please don't take that possibility away. The average life of an IPad is 6 months the way I use it, don't bring it down to 3.

• Level 5

Places is back, but just not practical. The map in the upper left corner is too small. I use the IPad most of the time while walking around on construction sites. Holding it with two hands and typing and zooming I do with my two thumbs. I never had problems using the IPad in that way until I had to zoom on the small map in the left corner where I cannot reach it with my right hand. Before the map was full screen and it was no problem at all to use it.

The IPad with Evernote is a tool for me I use 'off-road' please don't take that possibility away. The average life of an IPad is 6 months the way I use it, don't bring it down to 3.

I agree. I wrote in another thread that I have the impression that the iPad version is a spin-off of the iPhone version. The home screen and its sub-windows only use the horizontal space that is available on the iPhone and most of the available space on the iPad is wasted. I hope this will be adressed soon.

I found another problem with places: When selecting a pin on the map a text is shown (e.g., note title, number of notes at this place, etc.) with a green right arrow (>). But when clicking on it or the text, nothing happens. I only can open notes from the list below the map. If this is a general problem I wonder why this wasn't detected? Who is testing the app?

When I was testing, the green arrow worked.... Sometimes.;(

An other problem: when you open a note from the map and it appears to be the wrong one, then yoou have to reopen places because the map is closed after you close the note.

I haven't upgraded on my iPad yet, due in part to these issues.  But on the iPhone, I mostly like how Places now works.  You can now find notes via Places from the map, from current location, OR from list of named past locations.  The latter is an interesting addition.  And at least so far it hasn't crashed when going to the notes, which certain did happen occasionally before.  Another bonus is that the result list is willing to use Snippets view instead of card view, which always seemed very clumsy to me.

Still can't search within the Places found notes . . . a search from the places list seems to search all notes . . . but it's progress.

And working in this list reminds me that you still can't go from one result note to the next, you must return to the list view each time and pick the next one.

But thanks for the update, I'm back in action. 

BTW clicking on the green right arrow after selecting a pin works for me.

• Level 5

You are right it works but I find it extremely difficult to hit the arrow. I sometimes need 5-10 times until the note opens. The complete text area should be sensitive.

You are right it works but I find it extremely difficult to hit the arrow. I sometimes need 5-10 times until the note opens. The complete text area should be sensitive.

I agree that would make sense.

Thanks for the report. We'll look into this.

• 1 month later...

New update, map still too little :(.

Clicking is improved so we don't need to try 10 times anymore before we can hit the small green arrow :)

Presentation mode works full screen, so the people at Evernote realize that bigger is better. I just still don't understand why they keep up working with a map the size of a thumbnail. Especially not because it was fine in previous versions.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,

How can I display only certain notes on the map?

e.g. I have hundreds of notes with location set. I need to see on the map ONLY ~10 with a specific tag.  Or notes from a specific Notebook only.

How can I do this?

I used to be able to do this in previous versions. Is this feature back?

This is critical for my business.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In answer to my question 'Where has Places view gone in ios7 update' I received the answer 'it may have been removed'!

Location is visible for individual notes, but you can no longer search on a map for nearby notes. With the last update they reduced the previous functionality, not allowing users to limit search to a single notebook/tag, but now they appear to have removed it completely! 

I'm rather annoyed by this as they have previously pushed this usage and it is one of the main ways I use Evernote. Does anybody have any suggestions of third-party apps or other alternatives?

Hi Jow,

We have been working hard to build the iOS app called IdeaPlaces. It provides a new way to use Evernote by linking your notes to locations on a map and providing a way to explore them visually.

You can filter notes based on tags/notebooks/keywords. Show the notes around your current location. You can also create and search for places. It integrates with Foursquare/Google Places and much more.

You can follow the discussion here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60737-ideaplaces-a-new-way-to-explore-and-use-evernote/

Anyone please feel free to email us at signup@ideaplaces.com and we would love to give you access and take in any feedback at all.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Ciprian,

Evernote Power user & creator of IdeaPlaces: A new way to explore and use Evernote

• 4 months later...

IdeaPlaces is great.

Just tried to guide a friend over the phone to use places and took 10 min to realize her app ver 7.6.x.x on iphone 5S with traditional Chinese doesn't have places?  I'm a premium user and use evernote because of the location tag on notes.  I try to share my travel notes with friends and the location function is very important.  Evernote please fix this.

Archived