Hey

I am an evernote user and love it. 

I just downloaded the new IOS 7 update and was shocked to see the two greens and busy and choppy interface.

Much preferred the old interface than the new. 

Am I the only one not in love with the colouring of the new update for ios 7?

When you look at the apple calendar app the interface is clean and less colour and beautiful, pleasant to use 

The two greens in the interface are difficult to look at.

anyone have thoughts?

Here are my thouhts on the new Evernote for ios 7:

Functional Yes….. Beautiful…. NO Its Just plain ugly!!!! How could you guys have gotten it so wrong. There is no elephant logo on the main Screen. Gone are is the nice rich emerald green of the Evernote we love, only to be replaced with a washed out green that looks like an old dollar bill or a concert ticket stub. Please consider giving the app a little color and character!!!

Functional Yes…. I love the ability to quickly get to shortcuts and tags. Also the Sort Menu option inside of a particular Notebook is a huge plus.

Overall good effort. But the main screen which looks like a 1980’s “DOS based menu program” [google it] needs to be changed.

Forgive me for dissenting but I must insert a voice of TREMENDOUS approval for the new iOS 7 version.

It's as if we've come full circle after the card-based, list viewless debacle of the last major transformation.

To me things are finally back to a lovely normal, with the added flourishes of clearer tag info and thoroughly well thought out design integration.

Love it.

Am I missing something or did the camera button (i.e. functionality to add an image from camera in a note I'm currently working on) disappear in the new version? In fact, now that I look, I can't even create a new note from the camera in the iOS version (iPad mini). I had to use my Android phone to create a new note from camera. Again, am I missing/not seeing something?

• Level 5*

Forgive me for dissenting but I must insert a voice of TREMENDOUS approval for the new iOS 7 version.

It's as if we've come full circle after the card-based, list viewless debacle of the last major transformation.

To me things are finally back to a lovely normal, with the added flourishes of clearer tag info and thoroughly well thought out design integration.

Love it.

We did have list-y snippet view in the last version (after we were up in arms about losing the snippet view), so that is not something new, but in fact, a deprecation of the previous snippet view which gave users the most customizability of any platform (for snippet view, at least). I miss that very much.

Overall, though, I agree. It is well thought out and looking quite nice (once your eyes have adjusted to the pastel landscape of iOS 7).

To summarize:

- Reduce the green. Some green is OK (that is your brand of course), but tone it down. We don't need green on green

- Add search. First or second most used function.

- Allow some customization of what is shown/not shown like you allow in the sidebar of the desktop app.

We did have list-y snippet view in the last version (after we were up in arms about losing the snippet view), so that is not something new, but in fact, a deprecation of the previous snippet view which gave users the most customizability of any platform (for snippet view, at least). I miss that very much.

Overall, though, I agree. It is well thought out and looking quite nice (once your eyes have adjusted to the pastel landscape of iOS 7).

Yes Grumps. I was referring to that first iteration of – v5 was it? – that went all Cardishian on us. 

Thank heavens this forum exists and our arms level was high enough to curtail the childlike aberrations of whoever it was at EN dealt us all those bad cards.

And speaking, as you did, of iOS 7's pastel pancakes, you should see what the idiots at Dataviz have done to the latest version of Documents To Go. They, sadlly, have no forum so it will take some serious arms and interrogation techniques to get them to shift back to rational behavior.

If only EN would buy Dataviz. With the rate they must be losing customers EN could probably grab them for an unfinished song.

I don't want to let my overall dissatisfaction with iOS 7 (is it just me or does everything seem to take more "clicks") affect my view of the new Evernote.

But in general, Things just seem a little harder to get to.

I really only have one big complaint, and a request.

Complaint:

When adding photos to a note on iPad in the old version, you were able to select multiple notes without the photo window closing. On iPhone, it would close after each one. Annoying.

Now in the new version, iPad also closes the photo window after each picture you add. Really? Please bring the old functionality back.

Request:

I'd love it if it were possible to filter our certain notebooks in the settings form displaying. Depending on which client I'm in, I don't want to see everything.

Example, at work, I only need to see my Work notebook.

Keep the updates coming!

Thank you.

Here's what I've been struggling with since ios7:

When I'm inserting a picture / photo inside an already existing note, the picture ALWAYS defaults to the end of the note, not where I inserting the cursor to edit text or the note. In the previous version, wherever I inserted the cursor is exactly where the picture would be after I finished with the camera.  Now, it's always at the end of the note.  VERY frustrating!!

Anyone found a workaround for this?

Agree very much with BD1. When the screen is as small as an iPad, you should be able to hide the list of notes on the side so you can see more of what you're doing. Unless I'm missing something here...?

You can hide the list of notes by clicking the little double-ended arrow in the upper left corner of the note itself.

Agree very much with BD1. When the screen is as small as an iPad, you should be able to hide the list of notes on the side so you can see more of what you're doing. Unless I'm missing something here...?

You can hide the list of notes by clicking the little double-ended arrow in the upper left corner of the note itself.

Thanks, Cat1. I really appreciate the tip!

Once I got past the main screen with 3 shades of green, I warmed up to the new version. But…with 3 colored blind (green/red) men in my family, there is never any way I will convince them to join me in "sharing" via Evernote. What design genius had the idea of 3 shades of green on a small iPhone screen? Wow, how much harder to read can they make it? Ah, just add sunlight in the car and what was usually a great way to pass the hours as passenger on a long trip was a total waste. Nice idea folks, but not very practical or user friendly. 

• Level 5*

Once I got past the main screen with 3 shades of green, I warmed up to the new version. But…with 3 colored blind (green/red) men in my family, there is never any way I will convince them to join me in "sharing" via Evernote. What design genius had the idea of 3 shades of green on a small iPhone screen? Wow, how much harder to read can they make it? Ah, just add sunlight in the car and what was usually a great way to pass the hours as passenger on a long trip was a total waste. Nice idea folks, but not very practical or user friendly.

I strongly agree with this, and I have been advocating for a while that Evernote make their products more accessible. On the Mac, we have almost invisible gray on gray text and there is an overall lack of contrast. Even with standard vision, I can't really see stuff like the purple on green x in the search field on iOS (I bet no one besides the designers even knows what I am talking about, because the x is almost invisible). Even if you don't have sight challenges to deal with, the less contrastt here is, the more difficult it is to work in conditions like bright sunlight or with a dim screen. After a couple years, though, I have begun to let it go. I don't think we are going to get contrast or customizability.

The truth is that Evernote seems to be taking design cues from Aplple, which has all kinds of contrast issues. I think the Apple folks must all do their work with twenty year olds on 60" Retina displays or something. If Apple stops designing inaccessibility into their work, Evernote will stop it too.

Fortunately, on iOS you can triple click the home button to reverse colors (see the accessibility settings), but It isn't pretty.

I strongly agree with this, and I have been advocating for a while that Evernote make their products more accessible. On the Mac, we have almost invisible gray on gray text and there is an overall lack of contrast. Even with standard vision, I can't really see stuff like the purple on green x in the search field on iOS (I bet no one besides the designers even knows what I am talking about, because the x is almost invisible). Even if you don't have sight challenges to deal with, the less contrastt here is, the more difficult it is to work in conditions like bright sunlight or with a dim screen. After a couple years, though, I have begun to let it go. I don't think we are going to get contrast or customizability.

The truth is that Evernote seems to be taking design cues from Aplple, which has all kinds of contrast issues. I think the Apple folks must all do their work with twenty year olds on 60" Retina displays or something. If Apple stops designing inaccessibility into their work, Evernote will stop it too.

Fortunately, on iOS you can triple click the home button to reverse colors (see the accessibility settings), but It isn't pretty.

I agree with this 100%....Evernote could at least give us some font color/size preferences if for whatever reason they want to continue with these hard to read designs as the default.

At least with Apple iOS 7 they have dynamic font and bold settings which I actually think make most of the Apple apps very easy to read against the mostly white backgrounds. 

• 9 months later...

Amen and amen!  I have fair to middlin' vision at 65 but Evernote on the iPhone . . . forget it!  As of now I have learned "where" these buttons are and even though I can't see them - I can hit them - usually!  It's kind of like using Braille!

Cheers,

Mike

Archived