Easy way to find all notes with PDF attachments ?

Sugeeth Krish

Assuming you are still on Evernote 4, you can also click Attributes --> Contains --> PDF document in the pane on the left side of the screen...Very handy.  So far this functionality has been removed from Evernote 5...

Yes, the ability to click Attribute filters has been removed.  I would suggest that clicking filters is more intuitive than recalling search syntax, so it is valid to note that this is not present in Evernote 5, particularly when it's not clear whether the OP is using EN4 or EN5. 

• Level 5*

No, it has not been removed, but substituted by the search (---> post #2)

Yes, the Attributes / Contains / PDF search tool from the left panel in V4 has been removed in V5. And not replaced by anything, so far. Something like the Android has (Advanced Search) would be nice to have if the left panel Attributes tool isn't coming back.

• Evernote Expert

Thanks for the response, the command was great for finding PDFs.

But, similarly, when I want to find images or videos, the command resource:application/jpeg or /jpg is not working.

Is the search mode for images and video attachments different ?

• Level 5*

Thanks for the response, the command was great for finding PDFs.

But, similarly, when I want to find images or videos, the command resource:application/jpeg or /jpg is not working.

Is the search mode for images and video attachments different ?

Yes. See the search grammar for the basics of the resource: search term: http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php#Search_Terms

is funny, the main reason we use Evernote is want to put everthings inside , and we can call out at any time, so we dont need to remember all the things

but now we need require / remember a skill / search grammar? to call out a memory, such as a "Solar Energy Flashlight"

EN please dont run the wrong way, easy to use is the selling point

please get back the "Attributes" function =)

may be create an option show/hide, so for advance user can hide the "Attributes" at the left menu

Thankyou

Following this same trend, V6 will feature a bare bash shell and everyone will have to learn a programming language in order to create a note, find a note, edit a note or view a note.  There will be no GUI and no list of notes.  It will be so much more convenient.

It's telling that the *only* way to figure out how to view notes with PDF attachments in V5 involves going to an area of the EN website designed for *developers* -- not users.

• 1 month later...

is funny, the main reason we use Evernote is want to put everthings inside , and we can call out at any time, so we dont need to remember all the things

but now we need require / remember a skill / search grammar? to call out a memory, such as a "Solar Energy Flashlight"

EN please dont run the wrong way, easy to use is the selling point

please get back the "Attributes" function =)

may be create an option show/hide, so for advance user can hide the "Attributes" at the left menu

Thankyou

I too loved the attribute feature that made it easy to find certain file types, sources, etc. Now, instead of selecting a drop-down list, I have had to start adding tags to each file according to the attribute that I would like to find later, as the saved-search option clutters other searches and doesn't apply easily when switching from Personal to Business, across different Notebooks, etc. Fortunately, the feature has been still preserved in the web version so I hope that Evernote is considering re-implementing this real time-saver, but I use the (Windows) Desktop version over 90% of the time to access and create content, only using web version if the desktop application has frozen up or is updating. I like LoveEN's suggestion of keeping it in the Desktop application, with an option to hide it for those who don't need it. I need it. Thank You for your consideration.

I have not upgraded to 5.0 but would agree that I use the attribute function a lot more often than the search grammar.  However, in all fairness to Evernote, if you feel that you will be doing a particular search on a frequent basis it's not hard to look up the grammar and then simply make it into a favorite.  At this point I do not use the attributes or the search grammar anymore since I've pretty much saved 99% of my important searches.

• 10 months later...

Add me to the list of people who doesn't get this design decision. I'd love to have someone explain the logic of it to me because for the life of me, I don't see it.

Also - I don't see any way of making the so-called descriptive search work from within the Windows client.

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/38949727

Please Evernote... can we please have our filters back?

- Bal

• Level 5*

I've puzzled over a few of their design decisions as well and would enjoy a discussion to better understand why some things were done but unfortunately Evernote has not shown an inclination to discuss their design decisions.

Concerning the descriptive search, they do mention in the article:

"Note: Descriptive Search is currently available for English users on Evernote for Mac"

I expect that we will eventually see this on Windows as well some day.

Thanks s2sailor - I missed that bit about the Mac.

So is Evernote saying it prefers its Mac users over its Windows users?

I'm starting to feel like the kid no one wants around the family table. [*sniff*]  And I'm a Premium user too. [*sniff* *sniff*]

Of course, if this is the worst of my problems, life must be pretty good.... :)

- Bal

Archived