This version of Evernote does not support inline editing of webclips on Android

Getting the alert: "This version of Evernote does not support inline editing of webclips" when trying to open a note with the Android app.

Note was edited yesterday in Chrome on Windows 7 platform, and includes formatting that was cut ant pasted, specifically content from Wikipedia.

Primary concern is that I can't use bullet formatting when adding to this note. Secondary concern is how the interface with the note itself becomes more rigid, but it seems that this problem has been attended to before.

At this time updating to the latest version of Evernote for Android does not solve the problem.

Device is an ASUS Transformer running the latest version of Android.

I have this same issue on my Nexus 10.1, I receive the format error. I began this note also using W7 and all was well.  My endeavor was a most simple task (I thought) and it appeared as created using windows until I got to the very last object insertion. It succeeded but when I view the note on my tab (jelleybean 4.3), the last object insertion is missing.

I suspect the latest version of Evernote on W7 and the latest version on my Nexus are incompatable.

Their signature is the ability to retrieve and edit documents across platforms.  And this seems to be so easily corrected.

There is another thread that seems to provide the answer.

I found this error in some of my documents.  The documents had a horizontal line to divide parts of it.  This is a no-no for Android, apparently.  I removed them and it now works.

The other thread is at: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/27914-fixed-this-note-contain-some-unsupported-formatting-data-loss-tracking-thread/

the specifics are:

For Android editable notes that avoid data loss stay away from the following "Unsafe to Use" formatting.

Unsafe to Use

• Indented checkboxes
  • Attachments
  • Divider line
  • Tables
  • Hyperlinks

Safe to Use

• Non-indented checkboxes
  • Any text formatting
  • Bullets (indented or not)
  • Audio

Special Case

• Text Aligning
    Alignment; left, center, right, justify, does not cause the unsupported format issue and shows up correctly when viewing a note on Android. However, the alignment is forced back to Left Justify when editing the note with no way to change it.

Thanks to GollyJer for the answer.

• 3 weeks later...

No, I will not waste my time trying to go back and fix my note line by line so I can use it in Evernote. First because it's a decent sized document and it could be virtually any (or all) of the text that is causing the problem. Second, if and when it comes to that I will just transfer the data to another format and stop using Evernote. I've had some leeway on this project which has allowed me the time to sit back and hope that they can fix the problem, but as it's been almost a month now I can't really stall on this project much longer, and when I do I'm going to have to throw myself into it a bit more to make up for lost time. 

I submitted a ticket for the problem/error message that I described in my initial post. After two weeks or so of correspondence with the support agent the best they could do was say that they would send off the info to their development team, and then send me a link to this thread... the thread that I created in the first place. I'm not sure if the person even noticed that I both sent the ticket and created this thread, I'm not sure if they have the ability to see that information, but it made me feel kind of like I was in the movie "Brazil", and it also makes me wonder as to whether or not they even have their $#!& together at all. 

Before submitting the ticket and before creating this thread, I did some searching through the forums and found that there has been a similar problem with Android on other devices. In most cases the problem was eventually addressed and fixed in subsequent updates.

I tried updating the Android app and the problem is now worse. Now I can't even view or edit the note in Android at all, which defeats the purpose of using Evernote, since I mostly use it on my Android device. I have sent a new support ticket for the new error message/problem, and have not had a response back from them in a week's time. The automated response says they'll get back to me in 24 hours. I wrote them a reply to the automated response yesterday and they have still yet to get back to me on the problem. I also wrote back to the service rep that contacted me regarding my first ticket, and have yet to hear back from that person as well. I've had timely responses and simple fixes for all of the tickets I've sent in the past, but this one is really trying my patience. I feel like I am paying to be a beta tester. Not cool. 

Since the same problem seemed to have been addressed (in what seems to me to have been a more timely fashion than in this instance) I was hoping that the problem would have been fixed in the most recent update. I'm hoping that maybe the next update will fix the problem, but maybe I won't even bother to wait for the update. If anybody at Evernote reads this, or even cares, please understand that my workaround for this problem might just be to work around using Evernote altogether. 

• 1 month later...

No, I will not waste my time trying to go back and fix my note line by line so I can use it in Evernote. First because it's a decent sized document and it could be virtually any (or all) of the text that is causing the problem. Second, if and when it comes to that I will just transfer the data to another format and stop using Evernote. I've had some leeway on this project which has allowed me the time to sit back and hope that they can fix the problem, but as it's been almost a month now I can't really stall on this project much longer, and when I do I'm going to have to throw myself into it a bit more to make up for lost time. 

I submitted a ticket for the problem/error message that I described in my initial post. After two weeks or so of correspondence with the support agent the best they could do was say that they would send off the info to their development team, and then send me a link to this thread... the thread that I created in the first place. I'm not sure if the person even noticed that I both sent the ticket and created this thread, I'm not sure if they have the ability to see that information, but it made me feel kind of like I was in the movie "Brazil", and it also makes me wonder as to whether or not they even have their $#!& together at all. 

Before submitting the ticket and before creating this thread, I did some searching through the forums and found that there has been a similar problem with Android on other devices. In most cases the problem was eventually addressed and fixed in subsequent updates.

I tried updating the Android app and the problem is now worse. Now I can't even view or edit the note in Android at all, which defeats the purpose of using Evernote, since I mostly use it on my Android device. I have sent a new support ticket for the new error message/problem, and have not had a response back from them in a week's time. The automated response says they'll get back to me in 24 hours. I wrote them a reply to the automated response yesterday and they have still yet to get back to me on the problem. I also wrote back to the service rep that contacted me regarding my first ticket, and have yet to hear back from that person as well. I've had timely responses and simple fixes for all of the tickets I've sent in the past, but this one is really trying my patience. I feel like I am paying to be a beta tester. Not cool. 

Since the same problem seemed to have been addressed (in what seems to me to have been a more timely fashion than in this instance) I was hoping that the problem would have been fixed in the most recent update. I'm hoping that maybe the next update will fix the problem, but maybe I won't even bother to wait for the update. If anybody at Evernote reads this, or even cares, please understand that my workaround for this problem might just be to work around using Evernote altogether. 

I know your pain a little. While I'm not a premium account, I have learned to use evernote with caution. Especially when it comes to formatting I haven't even bothered with evernote. I will not mess with bulleted note, or number bulleting. They've brought me strange issues. With evernote bringing out crazy expensive scanners, and crazy expensive physical notebooks I think they got their priorities mixed up. I want to see the software beautifully made, and refined, however I can't really ask for more since I'm not even paying. For formatting I used google docs but since they already have enough of my information, I'm getting my personal things out of it.

lmlefthanded, you might want to take a look at Quip. It looks fairly new, and might bring about competition to evernote, leading to improvements for both platforms. Quip looks like it's multi-platform too.

• 11 months later...

I have a simple text doc with bulleted list that seems to cause this for me. The only other formatting I have are some lines with strikethrough. It's not even a very long note.

I hate to be a baby but it seems like these are pretty basic formatting cases that ought to work between desktop and mobile clients.

• 10 months later...

So I ran into various formatting issues including this error. I'm pretty shocked at how difficult and poor a basic text document formating is with Evernote.

1) when you select multiple text in different formats (color, bold, italic) it can not all be changed uniformly by clicking it 2-3 times. This is very annoying.

2) There is no format brush option. That sucks.

3) If the note is created on phone app, then opened and edited on PC it has strange random formatting issues (size, font) and flags this forums error. Even if you use the PC tool to remove formatting. It claims the note I created is a "web clip". ???? Wow.

So let me get this straight.... Evernote, which prides itself on note taking, is designed around notes, and is a note app can't handle formatting? Really? Wordpad, even Notepad work better. What the heck? The fact I have to take valuable time to point this out is upsetting. It's just that I spent money to buy the premium membership because I thought this was a good note taking service. Instead it is very frustrating to use and impractical.

:(

Archived