(Archived) Evernote very Slow, beach ball, almost unusable Mac

knowseeker

Idea

Hi There,

Have been noticing problems in Evernote for at least the past week, but now is pretty unusable,and it is my life...

beach ball, freezing (application not responding), have to force quit etc.  Syncing has always been sent to 5 min, changed to 15, no diff...

Evernote 5.2.1

when it does work, typing is very slow, like it cannot keep up...

Any help appreciated!

Dave

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi There,

Have been noticing problems in Evernote for at least the past week, but now is pretty unusable,and it is my life...

beach ball, freezing (application not responding), have to force quit etc.  Syncing has always been sent to 5 min, changed to 15, no diff...

Evernote 5.2.1

when it does work, typing is very slow, like it cannot keep up...

Any help appreciated!

Dave

I would upgrade to the most recent beta. I don't get many beachballs and the like. However, the typing lag remains ... very ... bad.

I did upgrade to latest beta, unfortunately no change.  The note I was hanging out in most often with the problem is quite large, so I cut some of it out to a new note, but so far no difference there either.  Thanks for the idea on the beta, any others?

Dave

• Level 5*

I did upgrade to latest beta, unfortunately no change.  The note I was hanging out in most often with the problem is quite large, so I cut some of it out to a new note, but so far no difference there either.  Thanks for the idea on the beta, any others?

Dave

Unfortunately, no. Beyond wiping Evernote from your computer (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135) and re-installing, I doubt there is much you can do. This sounds like a question for support, though I suspect they will suggest a reinstall as well (I think they have stopped telling us to wipe it from the computer, but I have found this to be helpful on numerous occasions, even recently, so I continue to recommend it).

I have this beach ball problem too, but mostly when I create new notes using the new note global keyboard shortcut. (it seems tied to triggering a sync most times I use the shortcut, no idea what the pattern is)

So my hack solution so far is: make a bunch of notes titled "nnnnnnnnnn 1309xx" where 1309xx is the current date code (many thanks to GrumpyMonkey's website for that suggestion). (The date code isn't important, but I like using it)

To create a new note, I just pull up spotlight and type nnnnn, and press enter. It emulates the behavior of the global keyboard shortcut, with a few more keystrokes, but with much less lag on the Mac client.

Added benefit is that since the note is already synced, I can copy note links right away.

Hope this makes sense/is useful.

Count me as another person for whom Evernote on the desktop side has become unusably slow. I'm running a Mid-2010 MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4 GB, MacOS 10.8.5.

I can date the problems to the update to 5.3.0 that came down the pipe earlier this week. It's incredibly slow to start up, took close to 10 seconds to check off a reminder and closer to a minute to create a new note using the "new note window" keyboard shortcut. Once I do get a new note window, I also experience the typing lag that others have described.

I too am unable to use Evernote on either desktop or iPad. In fact the only thing I can use is the web application. Support is of no help. They told me to reinstall (but not to install the beta - maybe I'll try that) which I'd already done. Then they wanted the activity log, but trying to save that causes the app to crash. Very frustrating. Starting to think about alternatives to Evernote, but it is hard with half my life in there...

I've reinstalled; it didn't change anything.

The web app is very slow for me and has messed up my sorts... somehow notes I know I haven't touched are coming up as updated, which doesn't work well when you're sorting by date updated.

I've also gotten ZERO response from support.

I'm still using mobile (which is working fine; I actually love the new version a lot) but I've moved my task-management out of Evernote for the time being.

• Level 5*

I've reinstalled; it didn't change anything.

The web app is very slow for me and has messed up my sorts... somehow notes I know I haven't touched are coming up as updated, which doesn't work well when you're sorting by date updated.

I've also gotten ZERO response from support.

I'm still using mobile (which is working fine; I actually love the new version a lot) but I've moved my task-management out of Evernote for the time being.

Did you get a ticket number from support?

Archived