(Archived) Evernote Auto Update

Analyst444

While EN 5 is available for download, I heard/read 4-6 days ago that an auto update of my Windows desktop version was coming. I keep "Checking for Update", but the message that comes back is that my 4.6.7 version is the most recent.

Should I stop waiting for the auto update and download EN 5?

• Level 5

There is some general confusion on version 5.0 / 5.1 - I got the confusing email from Evernote. Some people claim it is a general release and others are saying it is still a Beta but available to the public.

My version (4.6.7.8409) also indicates it is the most recent (when I manually check for updates)

That leads me to think version 5.1 is still undergoing testing.

I have both of the following options unchecked

• Update to pre-release version when available (shudder)
  • Automatically check for updates

Should you download? I'm sure Evernote believes the more people testing it the better, but they will say it is your call.

Personally, I will wait at least 2 months before jumping in. Too much controversy going on right now.

• Level 5*

This version of Evernote is marked as GA Release, meaning, I think, that they think it's fine for the general public, but not for people to get it via auto-update. If you want it, you need to go and download it. I think that there's at least one critical fix in the pipeline (the local notebooks thing), so you may want to wait, just in case. But I haven't suffered that problem, and things seem pretty stable (I've used all of the pre-beta, beta and GA releases of 5, up to the current one).

Not sure what the next release will be numbered, but all versions of the software undergo testing (even non-released versions).

Yes - I had been puzzled by this state as well.

The EN email and blog post for 4th September says "The auto-update for existing Windows users will begin within a week. If you don’t want to wait, download now and install."

So I've been expecting to see something pop-up when I'm using EN to say "New version available - do you want to download and install?"

But the latest 5.xxx release appears still to be of GA (General Availability) status, and not a Production/Live release...

It seems like there might have been some mis-communication here within EN; there might stil; be a few tweaks to be added to the GA release to make it a Production release and eligible for auto-update.

Whatever the case, judging from all the feedback through Beta, it sounds like EN has another winner on it's hands and continues to provide a brilliant piece of software.

Perhaps it's time I bit the bullet and downlosde that GA release?

While EN 5 is available for download, I heard/read 4-6 days ago that an auto update of my Windows desktop version was coming. I keep "Checking for Update", but the message that comes back is that my 4.6.7 version is the most recent.

Should I stop waiting for the auto update and download EN 5?

• Level 5

Yes - I had been puzzled by this state as well.

The EN email and blog post for 4th September says "The auto-update for existing Windows users will begin within a week. If you don’t want to wait, download now and install."

I have suggested in the past that Evernote staff and their marketing department get on the same horse and use consistent release terminology. In the past, different employees have used different terms which causes confusion with the general users.

If you follow this forum regularly and consistently, you will learn to read between the lines and figure out what they mean (sometimes).

And now we have 5.0.2 Beta 1 without 5.0.1 apparently going to "Production" status from GA...

There are times when it seems keeping uptodate with Evernote versuons is a bit like trying to jump on board an accelerating carousel ride at the fairground! ;-)

• Level 5

My current philosophy is to sit on the Evernote sidelines for a couple months and let the dust settle.

Joshua: "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"

Any progress on this front?  I'd like to get the new version, but to manually download and install on my work computer requires me to call up the IT people and have someone enter the admin password, which is a pain.  Way easier to just autoupdate, but I keep checking and it tells me I have the latest version.  It does that even when I check "Update to pre-release version when available."   What's the holdup here?

• Level 5

Any progress on this front?  I'd like to get the new version, but to manually download and install on my work computer requires me to call up the IT people and have someone enter the admin password, which is a pain.  Way easier to just autoupdate, but I keep checking and it tells me I have the latest version.  It does that even when I check "Update to pre-release version when available."   What's the holdup here?

Evernote might just be protecting you, and the rest of us, from a release still undergoing testing. It is unlikely we will hear an explanation for the delay. Based on my previous upgrade experience, I now wait until the program is officially released to the general public (with the automatic update).

Archived