Evernote Monthly usage and syncing errors

Mac problem: I have a lot of content I want to add to Evernote. When I realized I had only a couple hours before my month usage reset itself, I started adding items to my Mac Evernote. However, I could never get the Account Info usage amount to change. How do I get the account info usage to update? I checked it online also.

So I just kept adding and adding until finally I received a syncing error saying I had reached my limit of my month 1GB of space. The next day, apparently it took up where it left off and started syncing the rest and hit the 1GB limit right away. I tried deleting tons of stuff but then I found out the monthly usage is the uploaded amount, not the space used, so of course that didn't work. 

iOS problem: Every time I open Evernote on my iPad I get 2 or 3 syncing errors. How do I get it to stop syncing so I don't have to keep getting these errors for the next several weeks? I don't see where I can disable syncing on my iPad. If I log out, I can't view my files as I have downloading turned off.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cindy

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'd suggest you go into each one of your accounts - web, pad and any other,  and empty the trash.  Have a look at your web account monthly usage - that's the one that counts.  If it's maxed out and you have unsynced notes on your ipad / desktop,  create a local only notebook and move the notes there.  Then try syncing all the clients one after the other so they can catch up.  And don't try to race the upload limit again unless you're sure you have headroom - bad things happen!

Hi.  I'd suggest you go into each one of your accounts - web, pad and any other,  and empty the trash.  Have a look at your web account monthly usage - that's the one that counts.  If it's maxed out and you have unsynced notes on your ipad / desktop,  create a local only notebook and move the notes there.  Then try syncing all the clients one after the other so they can catch up.  And don't try to race the upload limit again unless you're sure you have headroom - bad things happen!

I don't have anything in the trash. How do I create a local notebook on my iPad???

Like I said, I did and do know my account monthly usage but as I was adding files, it wasn't updating - either on my Mac or online (the web).

I've paid to have 1 GB of files each month, I figure I should be able to use it. So I don't understand your comment about headroom. As I'm adding files, I should be able to tell how much space I have left without me counting the size of each file individually. Does Evernote take 24 hours or something to update the amount left?

iOS problem: Every time I open Evernote on my iPad I get 2 or 3 syncing errors. How do I get it to stop syncing so I don't have to keep getting these errors for the next several weeks? I don't see where I can disable syncing on my iPad. If I log out, I can't view my files as I have downloading turned off.

What is the exact message you're getting on the iPad? AFAIK, the only way to not have an iOS device not sync is to have the internet connection turned off.

On the Windows client, when you add notes to sync'd notebooks, the meter in the app gives you an estimate of how much upload you've used. I'd guess the Mac client does the same thing.

You cannot create local notebooks on an iPad. The only clients that utilized local notebooks are the Mac & Windows desktop. What Gaz was saying is it's best, when adding a lot of files, to add them to a local/non-sync'd notebook. Then move the notes into sync'd notebooks as your upload allowance allows. To be safe, you can then sync & that should give a pretty accurate count of how much you've used at that point.

I think what Gaz said about "headroom" is not trying to squeeze out every byte of upload b/c it may cause problems...like you may be having now. Yes, you can use most of it. But I tend to stop when I'm at 90% used, especially since I have some emails auto forwarded to my EN account.

• Level 5*

Yeah,  I've said before - that's a limit,  not a target;  and if you go over the limit,  it's a little like wandering past a sign that says "minefield".  You may get lucky,  but very bad things are likely to occur...

No one has addressed my #1 problem (which caused my #2 problem).

If the meter/graph or whatever you call it isn't reflecting the file usage as I upload, how do I  know when I'm getting close to my limit? I guess I was not clear in my first two postings.

In my Evernote account info on my Mac, there is a graph or meter. It's labeled "Current monthly usage ### of 1GB. It's colored green for the amount that is used so for. For instance, if I've used 1/2 of my monthly usage, half of the graph is green and the second half is gray. On the iPad it works the same way except the graph is red. On Evernote's website,  in the account info, it is labeled "Usage This Month" and is a teal color.

I'm not seeking advice on how to manage my file usage and I'm sorry I gave you guys that impression. I'm asking why the "Current monthly usage" doesn't change as I'm syncing or after I'm done syncing. As I said in both of my postings, it didn't change on my Mac or my account information on the Evernote Web site. Just exactly how long does it take for that information to update?

P.S. I go up to my limit every month but I was adding one file at a time throughout the month those times, and just an FYI, "very bad things didn't occur" any of those times.

• Level 5*

OK - Burgers said: 

On the Windows client, when you add notes to sync'd notebooks, the meter in the app gives you an estimate of how much upload you've used. I'd guess the Mac client does the same thing

The meter doesn't change on sync,  it changes when you add to or create the Evernote because (unless you create that note in a local-only notebook) it will be synced, and it will affect your upload score. The client reading is predictive.  If there are any differences between the upload amounts shown in various clients and on the internet,  the internet figure is the correct one.  But the apps take into account things like items in the trash,  because there's a presumption (I believe) that you might restore anything left in trash.  To ensure otherwise,  clear your trash.  The meters aren't amazingly accurate because - as I said - it's a top limit,  not a target and pinpoint accuracy isn't an issue.  If you need to go close to the limit or exceed it there are a range of things you can do to ensure your data isn't compromised,  including adding extra capacity.  SInce editing an existing note can affect your upload score it's wise to leave a little 'headroom' - as in a few % of the total limit - and start putting things into a local folder or buy capacity as you get close to the magic date.  Which -to add a little extra interest- is midnight Pacific time the day after the client says you have 0 days left...

I'm glad you haven't lost any data yet,  but I'm disinclined to take the risk of losing a note or notes I thought were safe.

• 5 months later...

Mac problem: I have a lot of content I want to add to Evernote. When I realized I had only a couple hours before my month usage reset itself, I started adding items to my Mac Evernote. However, I could never get the Account Info usage amount to change. How do I get the account info usage to update? I checked it online also.

So I just kept adding and adding until finally I received a syncing error saying I had reached my limit of my month 1GB of space. The next day, apparently it took up where it left off and started syncing the rest and hit the 1GB limit right away.

I started having the exact same problem as described by Cindy above, at my work PC with Windows 7. It was on a Friday afternoon and my usage was stuck at 93% and syncing kept failing even though I've added a couple of text notes. Over the weekend the new month started and all of my other clients (on home PC, iPad, iPhone) refreshed to 3% usage meter but not my work PC, it kept saying 29 days left, 93% used, just like on Friday. So I uninstalled the client, cleared out all local files, reinstalled the latest version and after everything finished syncing, the meter reverted back to 0% no matter how many notes I've added and synced (no more sync errors, but what happened to my 3% + counting?).

I'm pretty sure trash in all applications have been cleared out... This has never happened to me before, and I agree with Cindy, it's as if the usage meter is jacked up, not so much the case of estimated usage vs. actual usage...

Thank you all~

• Level 5*

I still think taking a run at the upload limit when you're getting to the final few percent is like running at a "Danger - Cliff Edge!" sign and being "pretty sure" you can stop before you go over the drop.  If it works - great,  you get an adrenalin rush.  If it doesn't you're going to spend some time in ER - if you're lucky.

The Upload Limit is exactly what it says on the can.  If you go past it,  chances are you WILL lose data.  So when you get close,  use some of the alternatives we've discussed like local folders or (if you can) buy more headroom.

Archived