Evernote "Cannot save clip" error

joejoejoe70

I'm having this issue as well. I was automatically upgraded to the newest version of the web clipper.

I'm attempting to clip emails from Gmail. Taking a screenshot will not suffice, as I need the entirety of the email for reference.

Additionally, it should be noted that I have primarily been using the clipper with the newest beta for Windows (5.0.1.1188 (261696) Public).

• Level 5*

OK I'll agree the new Chrome clipper seems to have issues - I just had an interesting 5 minutes trying to get back to the web page and lose the overlay,  then when I gave up and clipped a selection (so I could delete the note) I got a Google Oops - 

414. That’s an error.

The requested URL/click%3Bh%3Dv8/3e5c/f/661/*/k%3B272098756%3B0-0%3B0%3B97377674%3B4307-300/250%3B54195723/54099563/1%3B%3B~sscs%3D%3Fhttp://ams1.ib.adnxs.com/click... is too large to process. That’s all we know.

I did a little quick test on it.

I was able to successfully clip an email in Gmail with a message that was sent to me, with no replies.

It's whenever I try to clip an email with multiple threads (replies, even a single one), that I receive the error. 

Hello Evernote... Anybody there?

Forgive the sarcasm, but Evernote may be good at lots of things, but listening to its user base, and responding to problems and queries, is very, very poor.

However, I'll try again.

I also, frequently, get the unable to save clip message. Really helpful. Where is the problem? My broadband connection is extremely fast with an unlimited data allowance. I'm a Premium Evernote customer and have only used a tiny amount of my data allowance, and so on.

UPDATE:

I changed the options to clip a selection rather than the whole page, and this time it worked... Perhaps it is only the save whole page option which has the problem...

• Level 5*

Forgive the sarcasm, but Evernote may be good at lots of things, but listening to its user base, and responding to problems and queries, is very, very poor.

However, I'll try again.

I also, frequently, get the unable to save clip message. Really helpful. Where is the problem? My broadband connection is extremely fast with an unlimited data allowance. I'm a Premium Evernote customer and have only used a tiny amount of my data allowance, and so on.

UPDATE:

I changed the options to clip a selection rather than the whole page, and this time it worked... Perhaps it is only the save whole page option which has the problem...

I wouldn't know about Evernote,  but this is a user forum - you might want to raise a support request if you need to speak to the source.  All of the above notes (including mine) are noting that something seem to be a little twitchy about the latest incarnation of the Chrome clipper.  Evernote does read the forums,  but mostly doesn't respond in detail - otherwise they'd spend all their time talking to us and none actually fixing problems.  I'm sure that they're looking into the comments and will fix anything that needs fixing as soon as they can.  That's been my generally positive experience over the past few years.

Short tern you already have the best plan - stick with the clip, rather than the page option, and wait for developments...

However, I'll try again.

UPDATE:

I wouldn't know about Evernote,  but this is a user forum - you might want to raise a support request if you need to speak to the source.  All of the above notes (including mine) are noting that something seem to be a little twitchy about the latest incarnation of the Chrome clipper.  Evernote does read the forums,  but mostly doesn't respond in detail - otherwise they'd spend all their time talking to us and none actually fixing problems.  I'm sure that they're looking into the comments and will fix anything that needs fixing as soon as they can.  That's been my generally positive experience over the past few years.

Short tern you already have the best plan - stick with the clip, rather than the page option, and wait for developments...

Yeah. I figure they're behind the scenes furiously trying to work out the glitch. Though it would be nice to hear that from someone in the know. LOL. 

For now, I'm using IE.  ;) And hoping that the Chrome fix comes in soon. 

I have the same issue.  When I go to Options / View Logs, the error is as follows:

10:36:34 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) (ERROR) /background.html: EDAMUserException{"errorCode":11,"parameter":"Element type \"title\" must be declared."}
at handleCreateNoteFailure (/js/main/Submitter.js:265:9)
at null.<anonymous> (/thrift/thrift-binary.js:546:13)

I don't see an option anywhere for me to manually add a title, it used to set the title automatically before the upgrade.

Here's the response I received from Evernote explaining how to fix the problem with Web Clipper for Chrome. The instructions for navigating to Extensions isn't correct  (for the current version of Chrome on my Windows machine). But it's just a matter of uninstalling, then re-installing Web Clipper.

---

We apologize for any inconvenience you're having with our Chrome Extension. To correct it, please perform the following steps:

*Please click the "Wrench" icon in the upper right-hand side of the Chrome Browser, then select "Tools->Extensions"
*Select the "Evernote" Extension and click "Uninstall"
*Restart Chrome.
*Visit [this page](https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc) to reinstall the Chrome Extension.
Note: Please ensure that Third Party Cookies are enabled, (at least for evernote.com), or our Extension will not work properly.

Reinstalling as per BrianJ's suggestion didn't fix the problem for me (using Chrome extension on Windows), and I tried clipping it with all the different options. 

But I just copied and pasted it into a new note in my desktop Evernote, so that worked just as well :P

Reinstalling as per BrianJ's suggestion didn't fix the problem for me (using Chrome extension on Windows), and I tried clipping it with all the different options. 

But I just copied and pasted it into a new note in my desktop Evernote, so that worked just as well :P

Inari, you may want to open a support ticket to let Evernote know uninstalling and re-installing Web Clipper didn't solve the problem for you.

Since re-installing myself I got the error message once, but have been able to use it successfully several other times.

I don't know if this will help, but I am still unable to save an email with multiple threads on my work email. My work uses Gmail for all their email communication, and I almost work exclusively out of Google's Apps and products. I have two Evernote accounts (each have different email suffixes), and both of them yield the "Cannot Save Clip" error.

Here's an sample of an error message I got a few minutes ago:

10:46:41 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) (ERROR) /background.html: EDAMUserException{"errorCode":2,"parameter":"Resource.mime"}
at handleCreateNoteFailure (/js/main/Submitter.js:265:9)
at null.<anonymous> (/thrift/thrift-binary.js:546:13)

I am able, however, to clip a single message still (no threads, which I mentioned in my initial post). Here is one log from my personal (@gmail.com) Evernote account:

10:34:59 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) (WARN) https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/141352ab191d2b25: Some frames seem stuck, continuing with what we've got.
at handleBlocked (/content/frame_loader.js:30:11)

From my personal Gmail, I am able to clip both threaded and single message emails.

I have tried clipping both aforementioned email types in my personal Gmail, and have been successful, with my work's Gmail (non-@gmail suffix)

The new version of the Web Clipper is broken, period. The best solution is to go back to the previous version, which works perfectly with Gmail. Considering how many problems the app has, it's going to take them a very long time to fix it, if ever.

I feel your pain - it's frustrating. However, this is the only problem I've ever had with Web Clipper. I'm not sure what issues you've experienced. I can't imagine it will never get fixed. I'm just going to be patient - I'm sure Evernote will get it figured out soon.

Actually, the previous version of the Web Clipper works perfectly, including with Gmail; Evernote is trying to claim that the problems with the new version is with Google rather than the clipper itself, which doesn't make sense in light of the fact that the older version works. That's why I'm not hopeful about a quick fix: from the beginning of this debacle, the company has been slow to even admit there was a problem, and there's been exactly zero information about progress on fixing it. I hope you're right, and that I'm proven wrong by a fix being rolled out in a timely fashion. Unfortunately the Gmail problem is only a small part of the issues with the clipper, as a quick look at the comments on the Chrome Web Store for the extension will reveal.

That I can use the new web clipper just fine with my personal Gmail account is indicative that it does indeed work, as you say.

Just not my work Gmail. Adieu for now Web Clipper v 6.

*cue Hulk walking away music*

Actually, the previous version of the Web Clipper works perfectly, including with Gmail; Evernote is trying to claim that the problems with the new version is with Google rather than the clipper itself, which doesn't make sense in light of the fact that the older version works. That's why I'm not hopeful about a quick fix: from the beginning of this debacle, the company has been slow to even admit there was a problem, and there's been exactly zero information about progress on fixing it. I hope you're right, and that I'm proven wrong by a fix being rolled out in a timely fashion. Unfortunately the Gmail problem is only a small part of the issues with the clipper, as a quick look at the comments on the Chrome Web Store for the extension will reveal.

After updating the Evernote Web plug in for Chrome I'm finding that it will not allow me to clip certain sites. I get a "cannot save clip" error. What does this mean? Would be helpful if the error was more descriptive.

The page I was trying to clip is http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/9-11-the-view-from-the-midwest-20110819?print=true

Regards,

Joe

I also get this error frequently.

Well... my enthusiasm after uninstalling/re-installing Web Clipper was short lived. I continue to have problems. It just crashed on me and isn't functioning correctly when it isn't crashing. Guess I'll install the old version and wait for things to get smoothed out.

• 6 months later...

When attempting to clip a web page, the application clips the page or rectangle, then hangs and will not save the screen capture.

It is troublesome to see so many complaints for such a long period of time.

I have been a strong advocate of this application in the past.

Concerned.

• Level 5*

When attempting to clip a web page, the application clips the page or rectangle, then hangs and will not save the screen capture.

It is troublesome to see so many complaints for such a long period of time.

I have been a strong advocate of this application in the past.

Concerned.

I think the subject may have been quiet for several months after a few days of activity because it actually got fixed last year.  If you're having problems I'd suggest you uninstall and reinstall the clipper,  make sure your browser is the latest version and if that fails,  submit a support request (see below).

We may be able to offer some more help if you can specify your OS,  browser and give more information about the type of clip being attempted...

• 7 months later...

Archived