(Archived) Notebooks Being Created but not by me

I have this strange phenomenon occurring, and just now as I was logged on here, it happened again. Please bear with me if it sounds convoluted. I am trying my best.

I use the desk top version and do not synch anything. But in the last couple of weeks, synched notebooks have made their appearance, seemingly out of nowhere. They have 3 numbers as names, in the 800s, and they are empty. The first time it happened, after freaking out a little, I deleted them. A few days ago, new ones appeared, (3 of them all at once) and this time I can't delete them. The only way I know how to delete is right-click and press delete, but when I do that, nothing happens. They are still there, and in fact, I now have a forth one, brand new, only a few minutes old.

Does anyone here have a clue what this is about? Is this some kind of virus? Spyware? What?

I am really troubled by this. There is a reason why I don't synch my notebooks, and now it seems there is this way in from the outside that somebody or something found, and I can't defend myself.

Please advise. Thanks.

I have this strange phenomenon occurring, and just now as I was logged on here, it happened again. Please bear with me if it sounds convoluted. I am trying my best.

I use the desk top version and do not synch anything. But in the last couple of weeks, synched notebooks have made their appearance, seemingly out of nowhere. They have 3 numbers as names, in the 800s, and they are empty. The first time it happened, after freaking out a little, I deleted them. A few days ago, new ones appeared, (3 of them all at once) and this time I can't delete them. The only way I know how to delete is right-click and press delete, but when I do that, nothing happens. They are still there, and in fact, I now have a forth one, brand new, only a few minutes old.

Does anyone here have a clue what this is about? Is this some kind of virus? Spyware? What?

I am really troubled by this. There is a reason why I don't synch my notebooks, and now it seems there is this way in from the outside that somebody or something found, and I can't defend myself.

Please advise. Thanks.

I have converted this to a support ticket.

Please always ensure that you are using the latest version of our client. That is quite old, and there may be issues that you are running into specifically because of that version not being fully compatible with our current server model.

(For example, we now support Reminders, Evernote Business, etc, and that client would not know what to do with requests we're asking.)

• Level 5*

I don't know if this is related, but in the past notebooks have appeared in my account as numbers instead of their regular names. As I only have one or two, it is immediately obvious that these are mine, but the internal identification code (for some reason) is displaying instead. It is annoying, but not evidence of any significant issues.

In your case, if you have a lot of notebooks, it may look like a new one, but may in fact be an old one flashing its ID. I imagine that an upgrade will solve the problem (regardless of its origin).

I don't know if this is related, but in the past notebooks have appeared in my account as numbers instead of their regular names. As I only have one or two, it is immediately obvious that these are mine, but the internal identification code (for some reason) is displaying instead. It is annoying, but not evidence of any significant issues.

In your case, if you have a lot of notebooks, it may look like a new one, but may in fact be an old one flashing its ID. I imagine that an upgrade will solve the problem (regardless of its origin).

But if I understand OP correctly, he has no sync'd notebook. (IIRC, you must have at least one, so I guess he has one.) And the weird/new ones are sync'd notebooks. It could be a third party app as DLU mentioned, too.

Of course the obvious fix, if OP doesn't use sync'd notebooks is to simply not sync... But that doesn't explain what's going on.

• Level 5*

But if I understand OP correctly, he has no sync'd notebook. (IIRC, you must have at least one, so I guess he has one.) And the weird/new ones are sync'd notebooks. It could be a third party app as DLU mentioned, too.

Of course the obvious fix, if OP doesn't use sync'd notebooks is to simply not sync... But that doesn't explain what's going on.

How do we know they are synced? I think I'd like to see logs, the account on the Evernote website, and so forth. Anyhow, I am probably wrong, but the numbers thing does sound similar to what has happened to me in the past.

As for local notebooks, you can have them all local if you want, if I recall correctly. The only rule about notebooks is that everyone has to follow is that there must be at least one in an account.

To check what other applications have access to your account, log in at evernote.com, go to Settings and have a look at the 'Applications' section.  This lists both Evernote and other applications that have been granted access to your account.  You can revoke access to any that you feel should not be there.

'Access History' lists what devices and services have accessed your account and when.  This might help with identifying whether this is an internal problem or account-related.

Archived