Any way to go back to old clipper?

alexkorf

You have to move the cursor probably 10x as much with the new clipper. Also, the stuff one could do with just a single click, drag and release now take a more than a few clicks. To add insult to injury, I cannot change the suggested folder -- when I move the cursor into the scroll list area the sidebar disappears (Windows 7 pro, dual screen setup).

This all is really annoying. Is there a way to return to the old one until the bugs and UI in the new one are sorted out?

New clipper is combination Toaster and Blender all-in-one.

The new clipper combines the capabilities of a screen capture and annotation tool with the old clipper.  The problem...I already have an excellent screen capture tool in Chrome, Awesome Screenshot:  Capture and Annotate.  This tool is easier to use and allows saving to outside of Evernote as is often useful when performing a screen capture, such as incorporating into a report, emailing to someone with annotations, etc. 

This new clipper adds noise to what was an elegantly simple tool to clip content to Evernote for later reference.  Maybe this tool should be published as a screen capture tool but that space is crowded with great tools like the one I mentioned.  You had a great mousetrap, please bring it back.

And on 2007 MacBook under 10.6.8 the new clipper simply doesn't work at all.

Well done, Evernote, well done. I'm back to mailing myself URLs. Can I get a refund on my premium subscription, because you have rendered it completely useless?

This version 6 for Chrome is rubbish. When it works...which isn't very often so far....it puts my clips to a "best guess" which has been wrong every time so far. That means I have to go in on my phone and manually change each clip to the right notebook.

What genius thought up this mess and released it without checking it? I'm a Premium user but not for much longer if this doesn't get fixed and quick! Or give us a way to get back the old clipper.

My business has got less productive the last few hours while I have been trying to sort this mess out. Like another comment on here I'm back to e-mailing myself URL's.

The old evernote web clipper does not memorize my account & login status. It's keep asking me to login.

After making clip I cannot preview it like we used to. Preview shows nothing in new window.

Can we have the "Real"  old version back for a while until the problem fixed??

Thank you.

I like the new version too.  The problem is it DOESN'T sync to server. All the clips I took stuck and the icons' shown yellow numbers.

If i restart the browser all clips will disappear.  

This is forcing me to use IE / Firefox if that the web clipper plugin work on them.

I really don't want to do this, but I really depend on this note taking method..  this is killing me..

I like the new version so far. No issues that I've noticed. The new look takes a bit of getting used to. 

A very useful tool, which I use to clip small parts of webpages (or anything else) into Evernote, is http://www.axonic.net/products/click-to/.

My big beef with the new version is the fact that I can't turn off Related Notes. They just don't work. Even if the hits were relevant, having them there distracts me.

Thumbs down, too, to the endless mousing and scrolling that's being imposed on us with the pervasive "flat" design. That might work for tablets (I wouldn't know) but drives me crazy on computers and even on my android phone.

Thanks, Heather, for a way out of this.

Lena

Just a heads-up: if you plan to go back to the previous version, and you have 2-factor authentication turned on, it won't accept your password; you'll have to turn off 2-factor authentication before you can log in to the web clipper. So, Evernote is now forcing us to choose between functionality and security: awesome!

I'll raise my hand (the only one in this thread, from what I see) to say that I like the new clipper, it works without fail (OS X 10.8.5) and for my uses doesn't represent an expansion of the clicks required.

Your mileage may (oh, hell; clearly your mileage DOES) vary.

george g.

Whatever I do I can't make the clipper work. I am cancelling my Premium account and looking for an alternative app. I can't function and run my business the way this is now.

I certainly won't be recommending Evernote to anyone now like I used to do.

After many years of working in the IT and design industry this is the worst implementation of a so called upgrade that I have ever come across...and I have worked on multi-million pound contracts!

An e-mail is on it's way to Phil Libin. Not that I imagine he cares. Any decent company after so many complaints would at least put out a news release apologizing for the problems that people are having and saying that they will get it fixed ASAP but from Evernote...nothing!

We are certainly at work fixing the issues mentioned in this thread. And we test extensively on Win 7,8 XP as well as Mac, had the issues come up during testing we wouldn't have shipped it.

Here's the last 5.9 release of Chrome Clipper. The one Heather posted earlier is a bit older.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/0c27a634-69cb-4c7f-8023-54ccf98e4fed/75ab0b889e40ed4dd4b2d6f5f9f92b85

You say that you test extensively but what does that mean? Testing on a couple of computers for a few days or testing on many computers over at least 2 weeks to a month?

I suspect that you are trying to release too much too quickly and consequently mistakes are happening and software is being released before its ready...a bit like the way Apple release things these days.

It would be better to have a large number of Evernote users as Beta testers rather than releasing something that quite obviously wasn't ready. The consequence of which is that you have had really really bad press and comments around the world the last few days, have lost some Premium users, have most probably lost a lot of new or possible future users.

The only winners are apps like Springpad who I understand have had more downloads of their software in the last few days than they normally have.

Once a company's reputation is damaged it is very hard to get it back and make up lost ground and get users back again. People will be very slow to trust any updates in the future.

It wasn't helped by the fact that no-one from Evernote came out, held their hands up and said "hey...yes there seems to be a problem and we are working on it".

Instead things just festered, peoples backs got up and comments got more and more angry and users more alienated.

Hopefully Evernote will learn something from this because if they don't then other software companies are going to be the only winners.

Thanks jbignert -- I hadn't seen that 'filing dialogue'

However, now neither of my chrome browsers will take the new or even the two previous extensions posted in this thread. It says Package Invalid when I drag drop to the manage ext. page. 

I've now lost the ability to cilp all together. 

I'm a premium user and this is one of my main requirements. 

Thanks.

Thank you for posting the most recent past version of the clipper. While I appreciate that many factors (e.g. mobile devices vs desktop/laptop) the average user (me) isn't aware went into the new design, it remains a source of frustration that major revisions to Skitch** and now the Clipper seem to sacrifice simplicity and ease of use for additional functionality and (admittedly improved) aesthetic design.

I understand there is a transition period where the User has to adjust to new movements, options, layout so I have tried to give myself that time.  Nevertheless, there are several crucial workflow issues that remain problematic in my opinion (I use 10.8.5 and Chrome):

1 - screen proximity (the old clipper occupied a much smaller area so it was more efficient to select type of clip, notebook (if correct one was not auto selected), add tag, add notes) - all within an inch of space).  There was great value in that proximity. I see little reason that a small, streamlined clipper cannot be a preference with expandable capability if access to annotation tools would be helpful.

2 - the new clipper is often laggy and a bit jittery. The old clipper was highly responsive and smooth. That is a major hitch in my workflow.

3 - there should be a way to turn off related notes. i have never found a value in that function and it is very annoying. After I click "Save, I only want to see another notification box if my clip failed - not need to tell me it worked - let me get back to my work.

4 - i am continually asked via pop up box if i want to install clipper for .pdfs ... well, its already installed - there's nothing more i can do. another workflow distraction and annoyance.

5 - the overlap now between Skitch and the Clipper is counter-productive for me. If I need annotation tools, I will use Skitch. Yes, I can see a small set of circumstances where annotation within the Clipper would add something that Skitch can't do, but that value add is simply not worth what I have to give up to get it.

I do appreciate that Evernote does pay attention to and respond to many of these user comments. I do agree with some previous comments that they are slowly degrading the value of their product by forgetting that efficiency is their #1 priority and value proposition (imho). This is a workflow and productivity product, yet they often sacrifice that ease of use and simplicity for added features that are tangential to the core purpose and use of their product.

So I have gone from absolutely loving Evernote, Clipper, and Skitch (and recommending it to everyone) to really liking it, but being annoyed with certain aspects to the point where I would 100% switch if another product fit my needs better (what I call the Facebook dilemma).

** I run Skitch 1.x on my iMac and 2.x on my MBA and I still prefer 1.x for efficient workflow. Please, please, please allow Skitch 2.x to function purely as a menubar app -- it drives me insane that it opens on my dock every time I use it (and won't even auto-close when I'm done & click the red x) -- totally superfluous and annoying for workflow.

Well, that's one evening of work that I lost. Have been clipping articles for a few hours when I suddenly noticed a number on the logo. Checked my local Evernote inbox, nothing...synced, nothing... Checked out the web version, nothing...

Is there some way I can retrieve these clippings?

On Chrome on my Mac (11" air), the File header is hidden behind the "Share" blue button.  No wonder I missed it !!   When maximizing the browser it shows.    Evidently the file header doesn't scale correctly when you size down your browser window.    Having to pick "file" to title the note is ridiculous.    It seems you favored adding annotation tools to the detriment of base functionality.    Am I missing something?   I thank Heather for her post and jbignert for his update.    I'll be watching for your upgrades to restore base functions and make annotation an option!   

Why fixing something that worked. A clipper should be fast and out of the way. This new one is just intrusive and it takes much longer to clip something ... Please reverse to the old one or add a configuration for fast clipping in the new one that mimic it. 

Another problem that I have encountered is that not all the UI can display on a short aspect ratio screen. I have a 16:9 Asus vivoTab smart tablet and the bottom of the clipper is all compressed with overlapping UI elements. The clipper seems to not be able to widen in this situation. It makes selecting tags or file name impossible. This can be reproduced by making a window smaller. 

It seems like despite what Evernote say this implementation really wasn't tested enough before release. It's no better then a beta release at best. User after user after user all over the Internet are coming out with lots of different problems everyday.

This really isn't good enough Evernote. Your reputation has taken a severe battering over this fiasco. I sincerely hope that lessons have been learnt and no release of Evernote on whatever platform will ever be released again until it is proven to be rock solid.

Still no apology and still thousands complaining around the web. What a way to run a business.

Check out the Google Chrome Store and see what people are saying about it on there...and that's just one site.

People are leaving in their droves to Springpad, Google Docs and others. Maybe Evernote don't care anymore.

I'm sure they care; I just don't think they know how to fix it. It's been almost a week, and the clipper still isn't working properly. As i said, they didn't test it properly before releasing it, so now they're having to scramble to fix it. The problem with doing that is that fixing it before release is done in private; trying to fix it after it's been released happens very much in the public eye, and the public isn't shy about expressing its displeasure.

• Level 5*

We are certainly at work fixing the issues mentioned in this thread. And we test extensively on Win 7,8 XP as well as Mac, had the issues come up during testing we wouldn't have shipped it.

Here's the last 5.9 release of Chrome Clipper. The one Heather posted earlier is a bit older.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/0c27a634-69cb-4c7f-8023-54ccf98e4fed/75ab0b889e40ed4dd4b2d6f5f9f92b85

Thanks for the link. I had to go back. The current clipper just doesn't work right, especially in Gmail. I don't understand how the old one works if Gmail made changes and the new one doesn't, and why with having the code of the old one, the new one has been broken for a week or so.

Once again, I just don't think there are too many users working for Evernote that actually use Windows daily. I can guarantee Phil Liben doesn't. I cannot see him thinking this is acceptable. 

Anyway, I think I'll keep this old version until it doesn't work anymore. I'm glad it doesn't update.

• Level 5*

Thank you for posting the old version.  I installed ver 5.9 of the clipper.  The old version is so easy to use.  After one click the user is presented with:

Title

Notebook

Tags

Comments

Choose the type or accept default and save.

Done.

Yes. The old UI is much more intuitive, but I could work with the new one, if it actually worked. The biggest thing for me (outside of actually working) is just being able to click out of the box and have it go away to abort the clip.

Yes, this version of the old clipper actually works (the one posted earlier did not). Better yet, this one won't auto-update, so we won't have to deal the annoyance of it being replaced with a newer but broken version. I'm normally all for new and improved products, but in this case they really missed the boat. New features, no matter how impressive, are useless if they don't work. The new version of the clipper looks amazing; unfortunately, looks mean nothing if the product is broken. Hopefully, they'll be able to get this figured out, although considering how long it took them to even admit there was a problem, I'm not too hopeful. Maybe I'll update when they ship version 7.0...

It's a relief getting back to 5.9 which does everything I want reliably, simply and intuitively. The new version, even when it worked, was an absolute disaster in every way. For goodness sake stop ruining the entire product with unneeded, unwanted, over-complex bells and whistles. If I'd been stuck with version 6 I would have dumped Evernote.

• Level 5*

It's a relief getting back to 5.9 which does everything I want reliably, simply and intuitively. The new version, even when it worked, was an absolute disaster in every way. For goodness sake stop ruining the entire product with unneeded, unwanted, over-complex bells and whistles. If I'd been stuck with version 6 I would have dumped Evernote.

I don't understand the need for everything to be a grand overhaul with each version. It is definitely a case of form over function. Having users relearn work flows and finding out what doesn't even work anymore is really inefficient.

• 2 weeks later...

Ohmigodohmigodohmigod !

Oh my God Heather I had given up on this a couple of weeks ago. Thank you ever so much!

Works on Torch 100% confirmed. I'm not sure where the problem lay but the update only works on regular Chrome for me.

The redesigned tool is alright, but having to switch back and forth was bullshit.

Thanks again--you're a lifesaver.

I was always so impressed by how the old clipper knew exactly what to clip and where the clip should go. It worked like a dream. Those days are now a memory. You guys really f'ed a great product with a bunch of unwanted, unnecessary features.

Sorry, but finally had to give up on the new "paradigm" for the new clipper (look and attempted functionality for the parts that do work) and had to go back to the old one (the one that was part of the workflow rather than a product outside of it).

Appreciate the link provided in this thread. It allows me to smoothly use evernote from the browser. 

Thanks.

The new version is not that bad... they just need to improve their interface. One click option to bookmark or to capture entire page would be great. right click underline tool is great it just does not let you a clue of what you already underlined!. Keep it simple guys!, 

Before I used diigo extension which is also great for underlining and capture, but is does not work for me on chrome anymore... 

Wish to export import feature, but that is wish-full thinking, nobody is cooperating in this competitive society... any way is there a way to backup evernote? 

Thanks for the publication of the old version. I have also installed it as a consequence that since I was using the new one notes were duplicated while I captured it with the new web clipper. I think evernote should check this issue. One of my notes was duplicated eight times and the size of the note was 1,5 mb, so I lost 12 mb of my monthly allowance. :(

I think that new version is in general good, and I like the new design and functionalities. As for example, now you don't lost the input panel if you change of tab in the browser. However, the capture procedure should be improved. Sometimes when you capture, the app does not capture what it supposedly should capture. I have come to notes where after I have seen that the article was selected, and that was visually true, then nothing at all was captured or the whole comments were captured also, with the consequence of note's size increase and monthly allowance lost. 

Evernote, please, check all of those things and then notify us to reinstall this wonderful app. ;) 

And on 2007 MacBook under 10.6.8 the new clipper simply doesn't work at all.

Well done, Evernote, well done. I'm back to mailing myself URLs. Can I get a refund on my premium subscription, because you have rendered it completely useless?

This is exactly why I cancelled my Premium subscription. Yes I got a response within the "paid" time frame i.e., "we'll look into it" with weeks to resolution.

I am crippled in Evernote since updating to EV 5.0. My entire process is based on storing full articles using "SEND to EVENOTE" which no longer works. I feel forever doomed to using Evernote/OneNote two-step.

During this whole sorry story I have learnt two things about Evernote. Firstly the app itself is great...as long as it works. Secondly Evernote's customer support and customer care satisfaction is one of the worst...if not the worst...I have ever come across in all the years I have been involved in IT and business.

A simple message of the main Evernote site and on Google Play, Amazon Store etc, to admit there was a problem and that they were looking into it would have helped people no-end instead of taking virtually no notice of the comments and vitriol that has been on the Internet for the past few weeks.

It seems that they are more interested in back slapping each other at the Evernote Conference recently and making icandy updates that aren't necessary rather than taking any notice of the people that put them in the position they are today.

Remember Evernote....be nice to everyone on your way because you might meet them on the way down!

I know of a number of people who have either cancelled their Premiun account or left Evernote altogether, including one London based design company with over 30 staff and a multi-million pound turnover that have, at much pain, angst and hard work to them, moved their entire business from Evernote to 2 other apps. And guess what? The customer service they received was above and beyond the call of duty from the 2 new companies that they use.

Evernote in my opinion have grown too big for their boots and have forgotten about the core users who at the end of the day make software app companies what they are.

And there are still loads of very negative reviews on the Google Chrome store everyday...and still Evernote make no comments. Read the comments on there for once Evernote...or don't you care?!

Perhaps no one else has noticed, but one thing has been removed from the new clipper for Chrome. The option to title your note differently than the default. I use this option constantly to rename receipts from the internet. Why was this removed? Seems a simple fix to me. In general I prefer the old clipper.

@iowadogears 

Editing title of the note has not been removed. Open the filing dialog by clicking on the notebook name in the sidebar under the File section. Title is the first section in that dialog. 

You make our point about how this new update inconveniences the workflow. How it makes us work with the clipper as though it were a stand alone product rather that a product to help our workflow. I will take it even further. When you look at the menu you reference there are text fields there but the title field looks read only and also needs to be scrolled to. Focus is on the find notebook field as well.

(Been premium for years but just cancelled my premium subscription to further make the point. Of course, there is no such thing as really cancelling, it is just turning off auto renew, but hopefully this will add emphasis to any internal conversations you all are having. Always happy to turn it back on assuming it becomes a tool that compliments workflow)

I see three problems with this new web clipper

1/ It doesn't work on a lot of web pages

2/ It annoys enough of the community of Evernote users that this thread is still hot

3/ Evernote's management have let themselves down - first releasing a poorer product (in that it just doesn't work a lot of the time when the old one "just worked" all of the time), secondly not giving us the option of retaining the old clipper if we _really_ want it, thirdly not appearing to make appends for this.

I've changed a lot how I use Evernote - I used to clip from the web a lot, now the only use I make is to email to my evernote account pages. Given that Evernote has Diigo and Memonic as competition unless this is sorted out I'll be migrating away from Evernote.

Today I have not too many tabs open, a few of which are private, and here's the list of those URLs where the new clipper does work vs those where it doesn't:

When I say "it doesn't work, I mean that clicking on the elephant icon in the toolbar does nothing - it does not bring up the dark right-hand-side sidebar.

When using an inspector I sometimes get "Uncaught TypeError: Object #<TagEntryBox> has no method 'setKeyboardHandlers' " and other times "Received message of type object from chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc, expected a string " and sometimes reloading the page a few times and then retrying the clipper works - not that that's acceptable as a way of using the service.

I'm disappointed, but I've taken some time to put this together. Please can someone with authority at Evernote give the developers time to find, understand and fix these problems. Please bring back a one-click archiver. 

[...] Please can someone with authority at Evernote give the developers time to find, understand and fix these problems. Please bring back a one-click archiver. 

And at least communicate with your (paying) userbase!

• Level 5

Agreed. It "looks" more cumbersome but if I'm objective I don't think is in actual use.

It works well in all respects on two windows 7 pcs and two macs.

And I appreciate the extra features.

You have to move the cursor probably 10x as much with the new clipper. Also, the stuff one could do with just a single click, drag and release now take a more than a few clicks. To add insult to injury, I cannot change the suggested folder -- when I move the cursor into the scroll list area the sidebar disappears (Windows 7 pro, dual screen setup).

This all is really annoying. Is there a way to return to the old one until the bugs and UI in the new one are sorted out?

"Fixing" the UI in this case means abandoning it. They're not going to do that. 

Though I agree, it's borderline unusable in its current form. Very, very weird design decisions. Normally I don't like to remind people about Fitt's Law, but the UI designers at Evernote need some remedial education on it. 

• Level 5

and here's the list of those URLs where the new clipper does work vs those where it doesn't:

I'm disappointed, but I've taken some time to put this together. Please can someone with authority at Evernote give the developers time to find, understand and fix these problems. Please bring back a one-click archiver. 

Every one of those (localhost excepted) links worked for me today.

As for the BBC, it's grey'd because of the detection of the "article".

You could simple change it to full page or some other clip mode.

Or, using the Clipper's help and controls, grok that you can extend, contract, and move the article selection with the arrow keys.

You can in fact just click the up arrow twice and select the whole left column, then right to move over to the right column.

You have the degree of control to select any single article block on that page, or larger and larger groups of them.

• Level 5

Thank you for posting the old version.  I installed ver 5.9 of the clipper.  The old version is so easy to use.  After one click the user is presented with:

Title

Notebook

Tags

Comments

Done.

Same with the new one.

Click the clipper icon, or tap it's assigned keyboard shortcut, adjust the notebook/tags or accept the default, and hit "Enter" or click "Save".

No more work than the old.

Tapping two keys: ` and Enter is all it takes to clip and article.

• Level 5

The biggest thing for me (outside of actually working) is just being able to click out of the box and have it go away to abort the clip.

Feature not a bug.

I can click to other tabs, or scroll around to confirm the range of the selection, and come back and finish the clip.

Cancelling is a quick hit of the Esc button away, just as summoning it, without having to reach for the mouse, with `

Same with the new one.

Click the clipper icon, or tap it's assigned keyboard shortcut, adjust the notebook/tags or accept the default, and hit "Enter" or click "Save".

No more work than the old.

Tapping two keys: ` and Enter is all it takes to clip and article.

No, the new clipper is clearly inferior. It requires more steps and more mouse movement. That makes it bad. This is all essentially ergonomics 101. 

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts's_law

Workflow to clip & tag with old clipper: 

1. Click icon
  2. expand/contract selection area as needed
  3. click tag link within the same small screen area
  4. enter tags
  5. click or tab to move into large comment area and enter comments as necessary
  6. click save button in same small screen area
  7. click save

Note that throughout this process, your mouse pointer has probably moved a total of 200px, including back and forth. The targets are about the same size as they are in the workflow below, which in Fitts's Law terms means that they're functionally larger. 

Workflow to clip & tag with new clipper: 

1. click icon
  2. determine if simplified or regular article format is appropriate
  3. move mouse pointer to upper-middle of right edge of current window and click left-arrow to expand the clipping pane
  4. select other type as-necessary
  5. expand/contract clip area as needed
  6. click tag link
  7. add tags
  8. add comments as necessary (but note much smaller comment area)
  9. mouse to near bottom right corner of window to click 'save'.

Note that on a normal size screen used the way most people use browser windows, your mouse pointer probably moved a minimum of 1500px mostly in long actions to acquire small targets. From a Fitts's Law optimization perspective, this is highly non-optimal. This is clearly an inferior workflow, from that perspective alone -- forget about the extra cognitive load imposed by the poor visual design. 

There are some great features in the new clipper. It's just really poorly thought-through. This is a textbook example of a visual design team and a hatfull of product managers getting together to do what should be done by a UI design team. 

• Level 5

Oh, I thought the problem must be that those of us still having problems simply aren't as smart as cwb...

Your words not mine, but if the shoe fits.

Instead how about we stick to the product discussion and not the posters lest you get this thread locked too...

• Level 5

Note that on a normal size screen used the way most people use browser windows, your mouse pointer probably moved a minimum of 1500px mostly in long actions to acquire small targets. From a Fitts's Law optimization perspective, this is highly non-optimal. This is clearly an inferior workflow, from that perspective alone -- forget about the extra cognitive load imposed by the poor visual design.

That's a different argument, you're welcome to make, and there's likely improvements to be made.

The point I was responding to was more in the vein of "give me back my 1 click archiver".

"The old version is so easy to use.  After one click...

Done.

None of that has gone away.

You can still clip with two mouse clicks or two keyboard keys.

and here's the list of those URLs where the new clipper does work vs those where it doesn't:

Every one of those (localhost excepted) links worked for me today.

As for the BBC, it's grey'd because of the detection of the "article".

You could simple change it to full page or some other clip mode.

Or, using the Clipper's help and controls, grok that you can extend, contract, and move the article selection with the arrow keys.

You can in fact just click the up arrow twice and select the whole left column, then right to move over to the right column.

You have the degree of control to select any single article block on that page, or larger and larger groups of them.

@cwb - I'm glad for you that the clipper works well on either a Windows Desktop or on iOS. Given that between them, those platforms cover most users, it's good to see that most users have a system that functions.

However, I don't think that Perfect Faro is quite right. cwb has proven that things work perfectly on his/her platform/computer/device - but not that everything always works for all users in all the ways that the old clipper did. I have (the afore-mentioned) problems using Chrome (with pretty much the same set of extensions as I've had for over a year) on a Mac (10.8.5) with the new clipper that I just didn't have before with the old clipper.

I was going to make a comment about "over generalisations" and then I thought that I probably should make something clear - I don't want to force EVERYONE to use the old clipper (clearly it works for some people) - I just want the option to get the old clipper back. Apologies if that wasn't obvious to all.

• Level 5

True my post was based on Chrome on Windows, but MacOS is my primary usage at home.

I had yet to see any sites not work for me, on either platform, but I just logged in remotely and retested a good sample of your links on 10.8.5 (Chrome is my default browser).

Same results as Windows here.

Just meaning to provide a counterpoint of hope.  The code base may not be as broken as some might assume.

Specific URL's are great to post.  When some have positive success on the same platform, then we can be inspired to look for other possible root causes.

Maybe we shake loose an edge case bug that can be reported to EN, maybe we find a client side issue.

The Uncaught TypeError: Object #<TagEntryBox> has no method 'setKeyboardHandlers'

might be a red herring.

I see that in the Inspector, on pretty much all the pages that are clipping fine.

Don't mean to be pedantic, but have you tried briefly disabling the other extensions in Chrome?

And how bout you Perfect Faro?  With all that boundless energy for needy causes, did you have a chance to try Enda's links, and help widen our dataset?

Hi Tracey,

Chrome has made it hard to install extensions from other places than the Web Store. There are instructions in the note that needs to be followed to install it. 

1) Download the file to your hard drive. 

2) In Chrome go to Window > Extensions

3) Drag the .CRX file to the Window > Extensions page and confirm you want to install it.

• 2 weeks later...

...This is a textbook example of a visual design team and a hatfull of product managers getting together to do what should be done by a UI design team. 

Thank you Eric.  Well put.  But is anyone at EN listening?

I've asked the same question. So far, crickets, and babble about improvements. It's not an "improvement" if your end-users are ready to jump ship for a pack of sticky notes and a pen, and yes, I find that I'm starting to migrate back that direction.  

I sincerely apologize if it sticks in someone's craw, but the latest versions of both Evernote & Web Clipper are horrid. Generally, the responses from the Evernote Team have been between lackluster and outright offensive, with a few exceptions.  A few months ago I was a brand champion. Now... notsomuch.  

I haven't researched the corporate happenings, but there definitely seems to be a recent shift in corporate culture and direction. It is noticeable, and not for the better. Note to the Board of Directors: Whatever change(s) you made, change it back. It's bleeding heavily from the culture into the products, and your customers are primed to jump ship.   

+1 to the Thread. 

I too have been very frustrated with the latest release of Web Clipper.  Major thanks to Heather for posting the link to the old version - I'm much happier!

My breaking point was just moments ago when I attempted to print a page from my browser (Chrome). No matter the method used, the print job had a lovely Web Clipper overlay, rendering the print job absolutely useless. Another attempt on a different page had the same results. And no, I did not have web clipper actively clipping any page. 

However, returning to 5.9 has resolved the issue. I'm much happier with the streamlined workflow, and the non-intrusive presence. Clean, tight, simple, but effective. 

Now if I can just figure out how to get back to my previous version of Evernote (before the UI update), I'd be thrilled.

Likewise I was until recently a brand champion for Evernote and would always promote them if someone was looking for an app like Evernote....but not anymore. After the recent problems and EN's seeming lack of customer care and support I have been looking around for something else.

I have now started using Diigo. Their customer care is on a different planet to EN. I had a few queries about different aspects of Diigo compared to what I was used to in Evernote and every single time I got a personal e-mail response within an hour. It seems that they have staff all over the world so no matter what time of day or night there is someone there to help.

I queried about sending e-mails to my Diigo account as it was only sending a note and not the full HTML as EN does. Not a problem was the response. We are working on it and it should be available within the week. And sure enough this morning I got another personal e-mail advising that it is now available and it works beautifully.

I'm an EN Premium subscriber, but not for much longer, and I have been paying monthly but to change to annual payments you have to unsubscribe and then re-subscribe. With Diigo you can just change your subscription level in app without all the hassle.

Another thing is that with EN I have to set up new notebooks before I can save to it but with Diigo you can start new notebooks, or Lists as they call them, on the fly.

In way EN have done me a favour as everything seems to be easier with Diigo and by causing all the problems that EN have done recently and by their seemingly woeful disregard for their users it has made moving easier.

EN is a good basic concept but they seem to have lost their way totally recently and in my opinion have got too big for their boots. They are trying to do too much too quickly and have lost sight of the basic premise of their programme.

Maybe one day I will use Evernote again but once I have moved out my 2436 notes I'm cancelling my Premium subscription and turning out the lights on EN...not that I suppose they care one bit.

I hope I can get a few words in as someone who started this thread. Alas, I don't think anyone at Evernote is listening.

I was very curious of the direction Evernote would take when I made my first post here. It was a robust multi-platform research tool, let down by an inadequate Chrome clipper. Heather, thank you once again for sorting that out. Now I have seen Evernote upgrades on iOS, Android, MacOS and Windows. With every update, Evernote becomes less stable, introduces more idiotic UI "enhancements" and becomes less usable. iPad version is now so buggy as to be practically useless. Same goes for Android phone version. Desktop Evernote is still Ok, but with the current direction I am not sure that this is going to last.

I championed Evernote whenever I could, because it satisfied a demand no-one else did, and it satisfied it so well. I recommended it to my corporate clients because I mistakenly thought that the company behind it has long-term goals. It is very sad to see Evernote degenerate into a mess of endless cosmetic "improvements" serving no purpose, chasing new "trial" subscribers at the expense of revenue-bringing customers. I am still using Evernote personally, but I have just deleted it from the offer for a 4000+ seat knowledge management solution. Cannot trust you again, Evernote, sorry.

I sincerely apologize if it sticks in someone's craw, but the latest versions of both Evernote & Web Clipper are horrid. Generally, the responses from the Evernote Team have been between lackluster and outright offensive, with a few exceptions.  A few months ago I was a brand champion. Now... notsomuch.  

I'm another premium subscriber who agrees with your view of the latest "enhanced" versions of Evernote and Web Clipper, they are appalling - deal breakers as far as I am concerned. If I'd been forced to retain these versions I'd have dumped Evernote before now. Luckily I've been able to revert to Evernote 4.6.7.8409 and Web Clipper 5.9.20, and as long as I can use these I'll stick with Evernote - though I must admit that after reading sportsman0811's comments, I have been checking out Diigo and I like what I see.

...Luckily I've been able to revert to Evernote 4.6.7.8409 and Web Clipper 5.9.20, and as long as I can use these I'll stick with Evernote - though I must admit that after reading sportsman0811's comments, I have been checking out Diigo and I like what I see.

Brian, please share how you reverted to (what I hope is) the previous Evernote UI!  I'd love to do that if possible, and based on the feedback here, I'm sure others would love that too.

+1 for checking out Diigo.

@jbignert If you read every post then why on earth don't you or someone from Evernote make an official announcement about all these problems, and not just the web clipper, instead of putting the occasional comment or remark on here? Better still get Phil Libin to make a statement!

The people on this forum complaining are just the tip of the iceberg.....there are thousands out there across a number of forums having a right go about EN and doing untold harm to your business....or doesn't anyone at EN care? That's the impression both I and many others are getting.

One man band developers are doing a better job than you at customer service! It seems as far as customer care goes you are all way out of your depth. I'm sorry to say that EN has gone from hero to zero in the last few months.

Brian, please share how you reverted to (what I hope is) the previous Evernote UI!  I'd love to do that if possible, and based on the feedback here, I'm sure others would love that too.

I downloaded the set up file for Evernote 4.6.7.8409 from http://www.filehippo.com/download_evernote/  - they have all the old versions listed on the right hand side of that page.

I downloaded the set up file for Evernote 4.6.7.8409 from http://www.filehippo.com/download_evernote/  - they have all the old versions listed on the right hand side of that page.

That was it! Perfect!

So, major thanks now to both Heather & Brian!

I'm back to the correct previous versions of both Evernote & Web Clipper. Things are working as they should.  :D

For those newcomers to the thread, many of us are dissatisfied with the new User Interface ("look" or "feel") of the current version of Evernote and / or Evernote Web clipper.

I'll save you a few minutes of searching this thread.  Here are the links to download the previous versions of:

Make sure it is version 4.6.7.8409. If not, find that version in the right side bar. 

Note that you will need to manually uninstall your current version via Add / Remove Programs before you can re-install the older version. 

Although it may not be necessary, you may wish to export your current notes prior to the reversion. Simply open Evernote, right-click on "Notes" (or Notebook Stack), then choose Export Notes. 

Evernote Web Clipper: http://t.co/hjJ0Gsnn0H
Instructions for installation are included on that page. 
  • Level 5*

Well, the previous version isn't working right. It is now only capturing the email header, nothing from the body - no text or attachments. I guess Google has done something to break it and I suspect EN won't be updating it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, they pulled a Google on this one. But why keep something simple when you can complicate it and make it useless... Anyway, I uninstalled the webclipper but hope it'll be possible to get the old version back at one point. 

• Level 5

Come now, we chrome/safari users didn't get the feature until June 18: https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/06/18/evernote-web-clipper-for-chrome-gets-gmail-clipping/

Gmail itself is a moving target that will take effort to stay on top of. google's use of HTML5 in their properties is non-trivial.

You can't expect to go back in time on the web clipper and get better functionality than what they're striving to obtain. They need to stay in lock step with what Google does.

See this mornings post on a beta release toward getting the gmail functionality back: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/48016-chrome-safari-clipper-beta-with-gmail-clipping-rewrite/

And I'll reiterate as one in the camp of the current web clipper INDEED being much better for my use, than the old one.

It took me a little to get used to the look, but the functionality is fantastic. It and LastPass are the two plugins I use all day long.

Seems to me it's only useless if one refuses to use it [ducks...]

• 6 months later...

Back to the lab again. The latest Chrome update automatically disables older Web Clipper versions... and absolutely won't let you re-enable them. Grrrr.

However, I found the workaround & am here to share it for those interested parties.

Using the same link I posted for the previous good version of Web Clipper, download & save it to an obvious area on your computer (New Folder name "Good Evernote Web Clipper"). This is listed as step 2 below, but hey, we're not slaves to convention or process here.

On a new Chrome Tab, click the menu button (three stacked lines in the top right), then select Tools, then select Extensions. (Step 3)

Then follow these steps:

1. Delete the current (disabled by Chrome) extension
2. Download the extension from the developers website by using the right click and select "Save Link As..." (DO NOT just open the link by clicking on it) and save it on your local machine.
3. In Chrome, select the menu Tools/Extensions.
4. Check the "Developer mode" box, top right.
5. Drag & Drop the extension file (copied in step 1) onto the extensions page in Chrome. Chrome will ask you if you want to install the extension. Say YEAH!
6. Et Voila: a working forbidden extension.

Here is to begging the "powers that be" at Evernote:

Please publish the listed version (better yet, all previous versions) of the Web Clipper http://t.co/hjJ0Gsnn0H  in the Google Chrome store. I don't care if carries a disclaimer.

Chrome has recently updated and automatically disabled anything not published in the Chrome Store. Of course, there's no way to roll-back the version of Chrome.

Now I have two products which used to work seamlessly and perfectly that refuse to talk to each other at all.

• Level 5*

Here is to begging the "powers that be" at Evernote:

Please publish the listed version (better yet, all previous versions) of the Web Clipper http://t.co/hjJ0Gsnn0H  in the Google Chrome store. I don't care if carries a disclaimer.

Chrome has recently updated and automatically disabled anything not published in the Chrome Store. Of course, there's no way to roll-back the version of Chrome.

Now I have two products which used to work seamlessly and perfectly that refuse to talk to each other at all.

Why not just use the new clipper? What does it not do for you?

Archived