(Archived) starting evernote using Windowa 8

DerekH

I've loaded Evernote on my HP laptop using Windows 8 64 bit (not touch) and on opening, I get a "contacting server" message, then when that fails, a message saying, "could not connect to server" and then, "you need to be on line to register or perform an initial sync. Please check your internet connection".  The internet connection is working  fine in all other respects.  So what changes do I need to make to get it working?

• Level 5*

Also using W8 64-bit but without problems..  Is this a new account?  Could you exit Evernote completely / uninstall and reinstall without problems?  NB local accounts need to be exported (forgot that one myself when moving to this computer) and if you have a substantial database I'd back it up before uninstalling.

Many thanks gazumped.  I have now installed it successfully on the laptop. It was a new account, there was nothing to back up, I deleted the previous download on the laptop and then went through my account on the smartphone, and followed the download link emailed to the computer.  I've no idea why I could not get it to work last time, but it does now!  Now to start using it and find out just what it can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gazumped, I just found this thread. The mesage about cannot connect to server is exactly what I am getting. I have Evernote on my Lenovo tablet, which works fine. Did that while on holiday. Now I'm home, I'm trying to get into it on my PC. I installed Evernote from the link in my email. Kept getting the error message.  Sometimes I get a message asking me to try again later. I uninstalled Evernote, and re- installed. Still getting the same error, cannot connect to server. I have Firefox running in the background. No help. What did you mean in the reply to Derek about local accounts need to be exported. I assume I am doing something wrong here. Thanks for the help,

Shaz

• Level 5*

Hi - if you started an account while on holiday and just want to see the same notes on your desktop,  all you need to do is sync your tablet with the internet,  then install the app on your desktop and log in with your existing username and password.  The Evernote server will download all your notes to your desktop.  If you're having trouble installing from the downloaded file you currently have,  try redownloading from Evernote.com.  All the versions are available online there.

Hi, just tried that- same result. It will not launch from any icon, only the email link. Its really strange, I've restarted my Pc twice, reinstalled the app(twice), and it makes no difference. I have an icon on my desktop, in the apps list, and found it the way you suggested, but they don't work. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Going through the email may be clunky, but it'll have to do for now, lol.

Just popping back with an update. The reply came from Support, saying that Evernote works on IE. I launched IE, found the Evernote website, added it to favourites, now as long as I use IE as browser for Evernote, I can connect fine. Still won't work from desktop icons, but I assume thats because my default browser is Firefox, and it automatically uses that to try to connect. Hope this fix might help anyone else with an issue. Thanks again for all your help,

Shaz

• 2 weeks later...

Archived