(Archived) Duplicate PDF and JPEG files

Wellbaby

Idea

I am an EN newbie and have been busy scanning in lots of data to archive. I have no problem renaming the files I scan directly into EN via my ScanSnap manager, understanding that they come in with format names. What I am wondering about, however, is the duplication of those PDF files in Finder on my iMac. Since the files are scanned into EN do I need to keep these PDFs on my computer as well or is it safe to delete them? I also find that this happens with JPEG files I drag in from iPhoto. It would appear that I have the files in EN, in iPhoto, and in Finder as well. Can I also delete these? I don't want to do something catastrophic, but I also don't want a lot of weirdly-named duplicates unnecessarily taking space on my computer. Thanks for your help.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

My suggestion is that you decided on WHERE you want to have your PRIMARY storage, put your "originals" there, and delete all other copies, unless there is some specific reason to keep it (as you'll see below).

Whatever your primary storage is, be sure to backup routinely.

Here's how I use Evernote:

1. It is my primary storage for ALL my documents that I want to keep for the long term
    1. After I scan a document and put it into Evernote, I verify that it opens properly in EN.
      • I then delete it from my scanning "Inbox" folder.
      • NOTE:  IF the document has sensitive info in it, I encrypt/password protect the PDF before putting into Evernote.
    2. Files that I work actively on (like Excel, Word, etc), I store in my DropBox folders
      • Occasionally I may put a "snapshot" copy into Evernote at major completion points, or when I have transmitted to others.
      • When I finish working on a file, if it is something I might need to reference in the future, I put a copy into Evernote.
      • I usually retain the version in DropBox as my "master original".
  2. iPhoto is my primary storage for pictures
    1. Photos from all of my cameras go directly into iPhoto
    2. I prefer iPhoto because it is far superior to Evernote for photo organization/viewing
    3. Occasionally I will copy a photo to Evernote to document a special/major event

Here's how I use Evernote:

1. It is my primary storage for ALL my documents that I want to keep for the long term
    1. After I scan a document and put it into Evernote, I verify that it opens properly in EN.
      • I then delete it from my scanning "Inbox" folder.
      • NOTE:  IF the document has sensitive info in it, I encrypt/password protect the PDF before putting into Evernote.
    2. Files that I work actively on (like Excel, Word, etc), I store in my DropBox folders
      • Occasionally I may put a "snapshot" copy into Evernote at major completion points, or when I have transmitted to others.
      • When I finish working on a file, if it is something I might need to reference in the future, I put a copy into Evernote.
      • I usually retain the version in DropBox as my "master original".

So it seems that your use of EN is only for scanned documents.. How do you "link" EN with Dropbox files that you don't add directly to EN?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

So it seems that your use of EN is only for scanned documents.. How do you "link" EN with Dropbox files that you don't add directly to EN?

Thanks!

I think Gaz answered your question.  That works well.

Your statement made me realize that I had left out one of my major workflows:  Storing of text PDFs that I receive/download.

In fact, I have more of these PDFs than I do PDFs from scanning.  But my process is very similar.  After I receive or download the PDF, I store it in Evernote, and delete the copy in my file system.

Archived