Separating Business Notes from Personal Notes in Evernote v5

heather

We realize that the current method of displaying all notebooks together has been causing some confusion amongst some of our users.

Our development team wanted to let you know that we've been listening, and to offer you a temporary solution while we evaluate all the feedback we've been getting.

If you're comfortable with editing your Windows Registry, they have created a Registry Key that only affects the display of your Business notebooks. It does not do anything else to your account, nor will it change the display on any other devices you may have. This key will only affect Evernote, and nothing else on your computer.

Make sure Evernote is completely closed (File->Quit) before you make this change, and that you backup your registry before making any changes.

Here is an article from Microsoft explaining how to access the system Registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136393

The entry you are looking for is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Evernote/Evernote/NavPaneBusinessNotebookStack

By default, this entry has an empty Value. Whatever the value of this entry, all business notebooks that don't have a stack currently assigned will be shown under this stack name. For example, if you enter “- Business” or “ACME Corp." there, you will create a stack with that name. Note that this does not actually set the stack on those business notebooks’ objects, the grouping is only visual. No actual stack will sync to your other devices.

After this has been done, you can then add business notebooks to stacks within this "virtual" stack.

• Level 5*

*sigh*

Thanks for the information, heather. I'll check this out on my home machine, when I get there. As this seems to be an interim solution, I'm hoping that it becomes a little more like a real stack in terms of search.

It will look like a normal notebook stack in your notebook list. I am also working with this option in my update to ENRegEd:

It currently works for me, and I can provide a download link for it if you would rather that to messing with the registry.

Screenshot of ENRegEd, and the virtual stack:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/8568747b-4cea-44d7-9af3-8e5fddc29064/065fbd18cf62a30b06455441c4ab1f9a

It surely cannot be any easier!

I have gone into regedit and named the 'value' SWI as per Heather's instructions, but there is nothing showing in my 'Notebook' list that says SWI, apart from the Stacks I have already set up.

Best regards

Chris

I believe that if you set your own stacks for the business notebooks, then they override this setting. Only notebooks which sit on their own outside of a stack are grouped here together.

It also wont work if you try and name it something that you have a stack named already. The true stack overrides this setting.

• Level 5*

OK, so I tried this, but couldn't get the Business stack to create. My business notebooks had formerly been in stacks of my own making, but I removed them before making the registry change and restarting Evernote. Not sure where I went wrong.

Question is: what's the point here: I can put Business notebooks in a stack on my own, and it's a real stack, not virtual, so I can use it as a search context. Is there some benefit that I am missing with the reg key version (provided I can get it working :)), or is this mainly of use to Business account admins who want to enforce initial segregation (an idea that I like)?

• Level 5*

For goodness sake, please will someone at EN realise that removing the personal/business notebook display is a complete retrograde step.

Exactly. I just upgraded my iPhone and iPad to iOS 7 and there are EN updates just for iOS 7 users. Complete redesign. While the iOS apps commingle the notebooks, they are visually different, and on iOS, there aren't drag and drop issues like there are on the desktop.

The desktop needs to take a step back to EN4 with regard to the side bar.

I've yet to see a heavy Business user on Windows cheer the commingling of them.

Evernote user from day one.  Loved EN4, was happy with it NEVER changing and then decided to get EN for my business.  Everything going well, getting used to the business features, love the separate business and personal stacks. THEN I updated to EN5 and now all my notebooks are mixed?

WHY did you make such a major change WITHOUT asking us or giving us a choice.  I'm very busy starting a business and WANT biz & personal separate, now they are in a giant mess, with identical named folders. This can be HOURS of work for me to get it back to what I like and then I have to figure out which notes are biz and which are not?  WTF were you thinking? Evernote has always heloed me be more efficient, this just creates a boatload MORE work for me. 

Please undo this or give us the choice. This is one of those changes that can make me go from an evangelist to a former user.  I'm really regretting the five business accounts I just paid for ($480!).

Or give me a link to download the last version of EN4 and I'll wait until it's obsolete to upgrade (or switch to a differnt sploution). To say that I'm livid is an understatment.

• Level 5*

Evernote user from day one.  Loved EN4, was happy with it NEVER changing and then decided to get EN for my business.  Everything going well, getting used to the business features, love the separate business and personal stacks. THEN I updated to EN5 and now all my notebooks are mixed?

WHY did you make such a major change WITHOUT asking us or giving us a choice.  I'm very busy starting a business and WANT biz & personal separate, now they are in a giant mess, with identical named folders. This can be HOURS of work for me to get it back to what I like and then I have to figure out which notes are biz and which are not?  WTF were you thinking? Evernote has always heloed me be more efficient, this just creates a boatload MORE work for me. 

Please undo this or give us the choice. This is one of those changes that can make me go from an evangelist to a former user.  I'm really regretting the five business accounts I just paid for ($480!).

Or give me a link to download the last version of EN4 and I'll wait until it's obsolete to upgrade (or switch to a differnt sploution). To say that I'm livid is an understatment.

Upgrade to the latest beta (set it to check for betas in Options, then Help|CHeck for update). - it fixes the notebook issue, but not the tag issue.

Or Google for an Evernote 4 client. There are several sites that hold old versions.

Thanks Chris the Beta version does indeed resolve the notebook separation issue. I have also had terrible problems with EN hanging. I am not sure if it is a sync issue and I have been waiting two days for a level 2 response. Now I have downloaded beta I hope it will also resolve this issue.

I must admit I am quite shocked. It took EN a long time to publish this updated version, so there is no real excuse for having such fundamental problems.

I do not want to whinge but I really believed EN development team was better than this.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I honestly don't think it was a problem with the dev team, but more about what they perceived people wanted. I complained when we Evangelists got to try the beta that the delineation being missing was a serious problem, others said it was fine.

The fact that enough people said it was a problem meant they changed their minds. That, in my opinion is just a perception of what was required, rather than a problem.

Got to say, I am so pleased others complained as it was definitely a problem for me.

Best regards

Chris

It would  be nice if this capabilit, once available, was available to premium subscribers of the  'non business' EN.  We all have needs to separate or compartmentalize personal from business, and notebook stacks and tags are a weak way to support it.

This is probably my largest challenge in using EN - keeping things cleanly separated.    I could create a separate account for each, but that's a bit heavy handed.

(and for what it's worth, "personal" and "business" are a bit too rigid - possibly a more general purpose "compartments" capability? 

This probably would solve itself it we could have folders instead of one-deep stacks.

• Level 5*

It would  be nice if this capabilit, once available, was available to premium subscribers of the  'non business' EN.  We all have needs to separate or compartmentalize personal from business, and notebook stacks and tags are a weak way to support it.

I'm not sure what you're asking for that's any different than what you can do already. The new capability described by heather makes a virtual stack. You can already make actual stacks in every version of Evernote. If you're asking for a fully nestable hierarchy, that's a different topic.
  • 7 months later...

Archived