(Archived) Search for notes across multiple notebooks

Dan-the-Man

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum,

I have found the search facility in V5 to be much slicker, so I select all of my Notes to search. Even with over 13,000 it seems to work very fast.

I have also 'stacked' my Notebooks by category so I can select a relevant 'stack' to search within it.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Version 4 *never* let you choose multiple notebooks for search. The search grammar doesn't support it. The only way to search multiple notebooks is 1) don't specify a notebook: you get all notebooks in that case, and 2) specify a stack (i.e., stack:<stack name", or pick from the notebook list), in which case all the notebooks in the stack are searched.

The fact that it is difficult, if not impossible, to multi-select tags in V5 is a real loss for usability.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't search all notebooks in v5, this was in v4... to reproduce, open evernote, click "Notebooks" on left panel (not a stack or a notebook)... then type a search term into "search all notes" box in upper right box... nothing happens... maybe I just don't understand the new UI :(

• Level 5*

I can't search all notebooks in v5, this was in v4... to reproduce, open evernote, click "Notebooks" on left panel (not a stack or a notebook)... then type a search term into "search all notes" box in upper right box... nothing happens... maybe I just don't understand the new UI :(

This works for me. What does the search explanation say?
  • Level 5*

Nothing comes up, it just shows a list of notebooks/stacks where the search results normally show and the right pane is just blank

The search explanation is a small panel above the note list that describes what Evernote thinks it's searching for. You can access it via View / Show Search Explanation. Is that what you're talking about?
  • Level 5*

This is what it looks like where the search results/explanation should show up

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

That is not the search explanation. You've clicked on the [Notebooks] tree header, and it's just showing you a list of all of the notebooks available to you. If you want to look at all of your notes, click on the [Notes] header in the left panel, or the "All Notes" button in the toolbar.

Ok makes sense, my mind was reading right over "Notes", I think what throws me is in v4 you searched all notes by clicking on Notebooks, now there's a new "Notes view" to do this. This seems inconsistent with clicking pretty much anywhere else in the left pane and being able to search, and the more I think about it "Notes" was what "Notebooks" did in v4 (show all notes and search notes), so it seems like a possible waste of space in the left pane, what do you think?

• Level 5*

Use of the [Notes] header is now consistent with Android,  and it's an empty filter, so is useful to clear out a prior filter. The functionality presented by clicking on the [Notebooks] header is not all that useful to me, but it does allow you to filter your notebooks list. OTOH, they could offer that right in the Notebook tree...

Archived