(Archived) Backing up EN Database to Dropbox

RobD

I considered Cloudq but it's kind of pricey.  I'm looking to automatically backup my EN Database locally or to a Cloud Solution; preferably DropBox since I already use it.  When I tried configuring DropBox to backup my EN Database, I get an error, "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in Evernote. Close the file and try again."    Any advice?

https://www.cloudhq.net/dropbox

I considered Cloudq but it's kind of pricey.  I'm looking to automatically backup my EN Database locally or to a Cloud Solution; preferably DropBox since I already use it.  When I tried configuring DropBox to backup my EN Database, I get an error, "The action cannot be completed because the file is open in Evernote. Close the file and try again."    Any advice?

Many backup/copy options won't work when the file is open. This is to prevent creating a "backup" that is corrupt.  (IE if the file is currently being modified by the app that has it open.) If you fully exit EN (no elephants in the system task bar), you should be able to copy/back it up.

Many backup/copy options won't work when the file is open. This is to prevent creating a "backup" that is corrupt.  (IE if the file is currently being modified by the app that has it open.) If you fully exit EN (no elephants in the system task bar), you should be able to copy/back it up.

Thanks for your reply but that won't help me with a DropBox automated backup.

I'm not sure what you're looking for then.  It's telling you it can't back up the file b/c it's open.  There may be some settings on Dropbox that overwrite that...I don't know.  You'd need to pursue that on DB.  But other than that, there's really not much more to discuss...  (shrug)

I'm not sure what you're looking for then.  It's telling you it can't back up the file b/c it's open.  There's really not much more to discuss...  (shrug)

?  Just looking for less expensive Cloud Based alternative to CloudHQ.  CloudHQ will do exactly what I'm looking for but with an associated cost of $10/month.

• Level 5*

If you're running the Windows client,  your database is stored on the local HD.  If you have Evernote open (as you found) other apps will be unwilling to backup the file as there might be outstanding data waiting to be written to the drive.  It's not hard though to arrange a periodic backup of the database to anywhere you choose - just do it before Evernote starts up,  or after you close it down.  Or as part of a regular HD backup - it's only another file after all..

Thanks for all of your replies but you're missing my request; "Automated Cloud based backup of my EN database". Thanks again. :)

The point you're missing is that you're either going to have to schedule the backup when the EN DB is not in use or find a service that will backup open files. I know there are some (I don't recall which ones) but most do not, for the reason I mentioned above.

Thanks for all of your replies but you're missing my request; "Automated Cloud based backup of my EN database". Thanks again. :)

The point you're missing is that you're either going to have to schedule the backup when the EN DB is not in use or find a service that will backup open files. I know there are some (I don't recall which ones) but most do not, for the reason I mentioned above.

LOL, I'm not missing anything....that's just not what I'm looking for nor what I asked for.  Thanks.

• Level 5*

You can do automation yourself. I'd start with the Windows Task Scheduler. You need a way to shut Evernote down, so that you  don't run into problems accessing the database, and then you can back it up to wherever you choose, including Dropbox.

LOL, I'm not missing anything....that's just not what I'm looking for nor what I asked for. Thanks.

Right, I realize that thanks. Not what I'm looking for.

Well, let's see..

This has been now answered (similarly) by three people. The only derivation I see from you is...

?  Just looking for less expensive Cloud Based alternative to CloudHQ.  CloudHQ will do exactly what I'm looking for but with an associated cost of $10/month.

To which I replied...

So maybe you are not correctly describing what you are trying to do.

• Level 5

• Cloud based
  • Automated
  • Less expensive

Have you consider Carbonite?

It is cloud based, backs up all your data - not just Evernote, is totally automated, runs out of sight, and is less expensive just $5 a month. It is cheap insurance for me.

• Level 5*

Thanks for your suggestion but I believe Carbonite will have the same issue that I'm having now with Dropbox. It won't backup EN when it's running open or in the background.

I have NOT tried this, but I believe it will work. Sugarsync (a backup service) can be pointed to any folder (or folders) on your drive. In my experience using other programs while open, it had no problem backing them up. I would give that a try (inexpensive and easy to use).

• Level 5

Thanks for your suggestion but I believe Carbonite will have the same issue that I'm having now with Dropbox. It won't backup EN when it's running open or in the background.

I have not seen that problem. I've had both Carbonite and Evernote Windows for 3 years. They work together nicely.

EDIT: Carbonite goes to sleep when I am typing on the keyboard.

I have NOT tried this, but I believe it will work. Sugarsync (a backup service) can be pointed to any folder (or folders) on your drive. In my experience using other programs while open, it had no problem backing them up. I would give that a try (inexpensive and easy to use).

DropBox won't backup while EN is running, (either full screen or just the cute little elephant running in the taskbar),  and I've had SugarSync do the same thing in the past when trying to backup Quickbooks while it was running.  I haven't actually tried SugarSync with EN since I don't use that service any longer.  Thanks Grumpy.

I have not seen that problem. I've had both Carbonite and Evernote Windows for 3 years. They work together nicely.

Have you tried backing up the EN Database with Carbonite?

• Level 5

Have you tried backing up the EN Database with Carbonite?

Well actually I don't have to try, because it does it automatically for me. Whenever I add or edit anything in Evernote, the .exb is added the Carbonite backup queue. Right now, for example, I can see there are 13 files in the process of being backed up. Some of the files are nothing I care about, browser files for example, but since it is done in the background I don't bother trying to stop it.

Carbonite has been backing up the latest version of my .exb file whenever the file is altered, every day or night for the past 3 years. The only time it does not back up is when I go on a vacation and shut down the computer. When that happens, Carbonite sends me a notification that the backup has not occurred in the previous 24 hours which is kind of cool.

• 1 year later...
Posted · Hidden by gazumped, May 1, 2015 - 2nd post - spam
Hidden by gazumped, May 1, 2015 - 2nd post - spam

Yes, usually I use the Ahsay Online Backup software. It is an advanced disk-to-disk-to-disk (D2D2D) backup solution for Businesses and MSPs / VARs. It comes with the most comprehensive features that can fulfill all the on-premises backup, online backup, offsite backup, and cloud backup needs of nowadays businesses. At the same time, it is the most affordable backup solution available in the market. For more information check this:http://www.ahsay.com/jsp/en/home/index.jsp?pageContentKey=ahsay_products_overview

Archived