Feature Request: Change cursor default setting to Note Title field

jz1985

Idea

When creating a new note, I find it a little annoying, that the cursor automatically defaults to the "Note Content" field.  I would rather it go to the "Note Title" field. Maybe its how my mind works, but when creating a text note, I first try to give it a title and then add some text to the  Note Content field.  In many cases my notes consist of just the Title with nothing ever added to the Content field.

On a very related note, I don't like how the Note Title auto-populates to whatever is on my calendar at that moment or my current location.  This only seems to happen when using the EN Android app on my phone and tablet.

• Like 4

31 replies to this idea

It's not a bug.

It's not a feature that is behaving wrong.  It is a feature that is missing.  That makes it an enhancement request.

Albeit, it's a feature that seems to me could be implemented in a coupla hours.  By an intern.  It could be a good first project for someone joining the team.  And then the phrases for translation inserted into their normal translation flow.

What makes it so easy is that this is not something that is synced across platforms.  It is entirely self-contained within the Android app and its settings.  Just like the Windows implementation was self-contained.  (Though, the Windows version did have a bug in this feature, for a while.  It would cause the focus to constantly jump to the Title field over and over.  I haven't checked to see if they have fixed that, yet.)

• Like 2

I totally agree. You can turn off the auto generation of the title under General Settings - Note Editor, but the cursor still starts in the content of the note rather than the title. Many of my notes just have a title too (items on my todo list) so this is quite frustrating and rather odd as I would have thought everyone would instinctively start with the title when inputting a note.

• Like 2

I find this extremely annoying. I just recently started using Evernote, but I am a huge proponent of keyboard shortcuts and find it frustrating to continually have to click in the title field to add it. You cannot even Shift + Tab to get back to the title, very annoying. Please fix.

• Like 2

When creating a new note, I find it a little annoying, that the cursor automatically defaults to the "Note Content" field.  I would rather it go to the "Note Title" field. Maybe its how my mind works, but when creating a text note, I first try to give it a title and then add some text to the  Note Content field.  In many cases my notes consist of just the Title with nothing ever added to the Content field.

I agree jz1985

On a very related note, I don't like how the Note Title auto-populates to whatever is on my calendar at that moment or my current location.  This only seems to happen when using the EN Android app on my phone and tablet.

This happens on the iOS platfrom as well.

A switch in configuration would be great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

I agree—it was weird to me that the note's contents would be in focus first.

Workaround #1

I found that pressing <F2> moves your cursor to the title field.

Workaround #2

Personally, I run AutoHotkey (free download). I added the following to my script so that Ctrl+N would not only create a new note, but press <F2> automatically as well.

#IfWinActive, ahk_class ENMainFrame    ^n::        SendInput ^n        Sleep 100        SendInput {F2}        Return#IfWinActive

If it's not working, try increasing the 100. That's the number of milliseconds to wait between Ctrl+N and <F2>—you may have to wait longer than I do if you're running a slower PC.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

Hello,

Workaround #1

Workaround #2

Personally, I run AutoHotkey (free download). I added the following to my script so that Ctrl+N would not only create a new note, but press <F2> automatically as well.

#IfWinActive, ahk_class ENMainFrame    ^n::        SendInput ^n        Sleep 100        SendInput {F2}        Return#IfWinActive

If it's not working, try increasing the 100. That's the number of milliseconds to wait between Ctrl+N and <F2>—you may have to wait longer than I do if you're running a slower PC.

Hope this helps someone.

Your tips might be useful for someone using a PC, but this topic is specific for the android platform...

BTW, when we use the android EN widget for adding a new "reminder", it does default to the title, unlike the "new note" behaviour.

I use the widget a lot, especially the voice-to-text shortcut for quick notes on-the-go, but it behaves like the "new note", placing the cursor in the body of the note. It would be awesome if this could also default to the title, just like the "new reminder" does.

My opinion is that this should be a configurable feature in EN settings.

Moreover, a shortcut directly to a "new voice-to-text reminder" (bypassing the step of tapping the little mic on the keyboard) would be a killer feature for many, including me!

• Like 1

Same here, the extra step having to click in the title bar to enter a quick note made of just a few words is not efficient.

Or why not have the first line of text become the title? That way you don't need to jump from content to title or vice versa..

There is a separate feature request for that:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51199-feature-request-auto-title-in-android-like-in-windows/

I guess a mix of both could be ideal:

Don't separate Title and Body, just one large field of which the first line will be treated as a title. Possibly adding a failsafe mechanism, such as only treating the first line as a title in the case that it's not longer than e.g. 100 characters?

• Like 1

It amazes me as popular as Evernote is and how many users complain about the notes not starting in the title and how the auto-title sucks on the Android version they don't fix itl

I too would like a new note to start in the title bar on ALL notes even the Android ones or at least make it an option or AT LEAST make it like the windows version so that the title becomes

the first line of test.  I get way too many notes that are "untitled".  how useless is that?

• Like 3

Hello,

Workaround #1

Workaround #2

Hope this helps someone.

Well, here it is a year later and I must say thanks for that.  I didn't know about the F2.  The script works and Its just what I needed.  I've been inserting an autohotkey date into the title of new notes and I'd like to add the FormatTime to your script, but so far that part's not working.  Anyway, thanks for this thread.

+1

I really want this on Android.

I've found the regedit workaround on Windows.

But, it really should be an option.  It's probably one of those 50-50 things.  For half the people, the current default is how they think it should work.  The other 50% really, really want to type in their own title almost every time.

I also would like to see the cursor default to the title section of the note.  With its automatic time stamping feature and simple means of deleting completed items, Evernote is the best app I have found for a simple To Do list.  It would be much better still if I didn't have to move the cursor every time I wanted to use it!

Given this thread is over two years old, it would be very appreciated if someone from Evernote could shed some light on if and when (and if not why not) this feature will be added.

• Like 1

Almost one year since my post and 3 years on since the thread began and there is no action.  As an Evernote fanatic (16k+ notes) and having regard to Microsoft's attempt to move Evernote users to the OneNote platform, I find it almost unbelievable that this and other feature requests are not dealt with transparently and on a timely basis by Evernote management.   

• Like 2

Mighty makes some great points. How difficult can it be to do this enhancement? On a more fundamental level, why do companies like Dropbox release improvements continually and Evernote seems preoccupied with fixing bugs?  Evernote has so much potential but it has dropped the ball for the last 5 or so years. You are really testing the patience of your customers and I certainly hope the company’s board is attuned to this sentiment.

Evernote is not sitting on their hands.  They expend a lot of effort in their cross-product integrations.  It's actually very impressive.

The problem is, useful little features like this one fall through the cracks.

• Like 2

That may be the case but that is all about getting what they have working effectively together - almost a minimum requirement. New features that make sense are what will enable Evernote to regain its lost momentum.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, jffe said:

You are really testing the patience of your customers and I certainly hope the company’s board is attuned to this sentiment.

Please be aware that these forums are user-to-user, and while Evernote staffers look into them occasionally (perhaps the feature-request ones like this more often than others, though I don't really know), they're not very effective for addressing the company directly.

Even this forum might be user-to-user, there's no point of suggesting new features if they are not taken seriously.

One little addition to this idea: not only the cursor should be on the title field, it should also automatically select the title given to new note. That way it is easy to change it. Even the setting for getting the title from calendar is on, the title is rarely usable.

I've been asking this forever. At one point I even called tech support about something else, and asked as an aside if that was configurable. They said "yes, just go to the browser version and blah blah blah......."

Obviously, they were wrong. I have had paid version for over 3 years and am perpetually fuming about this.

With all the updates, you'd think this one would rise the top of the roadmap as an easy fix to help pissed off users.

• Level 5

OK, you have an opinion about it, and that is fine with me and probably everybody.

But you may have noticed as well that the posts right above yours are from 2018 - and older. So it did not bother any other user to post in this thread for 3 years, before you did it now. 14 votes in total since 2013, which is less than 2 votes per year. And you expect THIS to be moved to the top of the roadmap ???

C‘me on, you really think this is the hottest potato to peel ?

P.S. If you search the forum, you may find younger posts above the same subject, in other threads. But still IMHO it won’t even make it into the TOP 50, if I look at the discussions we have since v10 launched.

Just found this discussion thread because I have the exact same annoyance. The original post was written in 2013 😂  and we are now in 2021. What's really annoying is the new note gets titled "Untitled". Why not at least default the note title to the first line of the content. 

• Like 1