(Archived) Version 5 Release date?

RobD

The mail I received today titled "Coming Soon: Evernote 5 for Windows" leads to this[1] link, which offers the beta download. This is not good, I had to warn my evernote business collegues not to download EN5Beta.

[1] http://evernote.com/evernote/whats_new/windows/?utm_source=silverpop&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=090313_windows_announce_en

I may have overlooked something. But yeah, the email says it's coming soon. But when you click to see what's new, it has a link to download V5. Nothing I see indicates this download is a beta version...

• Level 5*

Honestly. V5 is still in beta, but it's a public beta. Use it, or not, your choice. The preview announcement was just that -- an preview of the features that will be in V5, which, yes, is a beta, and it's also official, because it's from Evernote -- it's an official public beta. Release date unknown at this time. #sheesh #mountainfrommolehill

#Testy #

Honestly. V5 is still in beta, but it's a public beta. Use it, or not, your choice. The preview announcement was just that -- an preview of the features that will be in V5, which, yes, is a beta, and it's also official, because it's from Evernote -- it's an official public beta. Release date unknown at this time. #sheesh #mountainfrommolehill 

No need to get your panties all twisted, lol. It's a public forum discussion.  Obviously there's A LOT of confusion on the beta or non-beta status of V5, that's all.   #Testy #SensitiveMuch?

It's still in Beta

Time of chat:

9/4/2013 9:43:29 AM

Length of chat:

00:01:23

Your name:

rob

Chatted with:

Shane

9:43 AM

Shane:

Hello, rob . Please allow me a moment while I review your question.

rob :

Hey Shane

Shane:

Rob, it is currently only available as Beta.

9:44 AM

Shane:

However, while we do not have a designated release date...

Shane:

Version 5 should be coming very soon.

rob :

Thanks Shane, great info

Shane:

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

This transcript was delivered to you courtesy of Evernote.com

• Level 5

Based on my previous experience with major upgrades from Evernote, and reading comments from users on the Mac client update, I'll let others do Evernote's Quality Control work. I don't want to risk my data and I don't want to create another account for testing purposes. I used to wait a couple weeks to see how the dust settles, but now I am playing it safer by waiting at least 2 months before updating.

When Evernote announces a general release (non-beta), I will clip the notice into Evernote and move the created date out 60 days as a reminder to consider upgrading. For those 60 days, I will be watching this forum and Google+ to see what the general reaction is. Seems mixed at this point with the 3rd beta.

There does not seem to be a dispute whether it's a private or public beta or even if it's an "official" beta. The email and the web page are not clear that the version it's linking to is beta at all. This has since been answered. Any version 5 is still beta. The email says V5 is "coming soon" but links to a download that is still beta. This is confusing b/c if it's "coming soon", why is there a download link? I may have overlooked something. But nowhere on that page did I see where it specifies V5 is still beta. So a user is left to wonder if the "coming soon" part of the email is incorrect. This would not have been confusing if the link specified it was to download the beta version. So if you don't want to be on the beta train, don't install it.

Archived