(Archived) Web access to Evernote from an Android device ?

Zen

Hi all,

Is it possible to access Evernote from the web using a browser in an Android device ?

I tried to access www.evernote.com via 2 browsers in my Android phone - Chrome and another - but in both I was not able to scroll down the page.

Then I googled and found the link:

evernote.com/m/

But it returns a 404 Error Page not found when I click SignIn.

Can you please advise ?

Thank you and Kind Regards,

Zen

• Level 5

I also tried this with Chrome (which I've never used before), and I did experience problems with scrolling and other actions, and the 404 error with www.evernote.com/m, so I can confirm what you describe.

However, when I tried it with the Opera Mobile browser, I was able to sign in on www.evernote.com, view my notebooks, scroll down, edit notes, etc. I was also successful in accessing www.evernote.com/m, though it doesn't look like a particularly convenient way of using Evernote for me. So it seems like an issue with Chrome.

Lessee.  There's an Android app which works rather well.  Why would you bother?

Because I just found out that either Windows Evernote local database or Android Evernote local databases are insecure.

I just uninstalled Windows Evernote and will be using web version in windows, and would like to do the same in Android.. uninstall Android insecure Evernote and use web access.. that's when I bumped in difficulties with Google Chrome browser in my android phone not able to scrolldown the list of notebooks and some other difficulties.

Regards,

Zen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Sorry for a slow response - to the best of my knowledge ALL the databases are insecure unless they're stored on protected or encrypted drives.  My Android can be password-protected,  PIN locked and encrypted so its security is probably much better than my laptop.  The web apps do have some advantages,  but tend to be slower and more clunky - even on a desktop screen - than the 'local' applications.  On a small screen they're even more difficult to use - and I don't really see how Evernote can improve that given the limitations of current mobile technology.

Hi,

You mentioned you using encryption in Android, Ive never used it.

Does it means when I connect phone with PC via USB for example, I will not be able to see phone files ?

So type of access does encryption prevents ? I'm trying to undertand the details of it. Will correct answers be:

- Prevents some other device connected to phone (PC vua USB for example) to access files ?

- Adds more security to installed apps as well ?

Thanks,

Zen

• Level 5*

Hi,

You mentioned you using encryption in Android, Ive never used it.

Does it means when I connect phone with PC via USB for example, I will not be able to see phone files ?

So type of access does encryption prevents ? I'm trying to undertand the details of it. Will correct answers be:

- Prevents some other device connected to phone (PC vua USB for example) to access files ?

- Adds more security to installed apps as well ?

Thanks,

Zen

Depends on the type of phone you have I'd think.  My Samsung S3 encrypts the storage area so I need a password to get in.  Other devices can connect to the phone - headphones / laptops / phones etc - but they can't read the encrypted storage without the password.  It adds more security to apps in the sense that anything storing data in the secure are is protected,  but I don't see what else it could prevent - the passworded phone and pin access is meant to avoid random playing...

• Level 5*

I am able to log in to www.evernote.com/m/‎ from my Android phone (Motorola RAZR MAXX HD) just fine, using the Chrome browser. I wouldn't say that it's a joyful experience, but it seems to be working.

• Level 5*

Does anyone knows if Android Evernote app stores anything in Android device if Evernote Notebooks not set to offline ?

Sure. Notes and other information can be cached on the local device, making it quicker to access frequently used information. The rules for amount and duration of caching are unknown to me, though, but it definitely occurs. You can clear it via a "Search and Storage" operation in settings.

Does anyone knows if Android Evernote app stores anything in Android device if Evernote Notebooks not set to offline ?

Sure. Notes and other information can be cached on the local device, making it quicker to access frequently used information. The rules for amount and duration of caching are unknown to me, though, but it definitely occurs. You can clear it via a "Search and Storage" operation in settings.

Would it be possible to configure android evernote in order not to cache anything ?

Thanks,

Zen

• Level 5*

The Android client needs to cache some information while it keeps local note details pending a sync.  Once the sync is complete and if that space isn't required by the system,  the information will persist for a random period unless and until you clear the caches manually.

Ok.

Personally, I would evernote to have only 2 modes:

- cache if we configure option Offline for notebooks.

- and dont cache anything at all for the notebooks without option Offline. So android app would work as a simple frontend gui to access data. No cached data in phone means much better security, since potentialy other installed android apps can read local evernote cache.

Cheers,

Zen

• Level 5*

- and dont cache anything at all for the notebooks without option Offline. So android app would work as a simple frontend gui to access data. No cached data in phone means much better security, since potentialy other installed android apps can read local evernote cache.

This would be a ~terrible~ option, if that was the only alternative to using offline notebooks. If you have no caching, then you always need to go to the web for note information. Always. It would be the same as if you had turned off caching in your web browser (have you done that??): all accesses would be slow, slow, slow. I'm guessing that most people would like Evernote to cache as much as possible. This would need to be a third option.
Then I googled and found the link:

evernote.com/m/

But it returns a 404 Error Page not found when I click SignIn.

I reported this the 404 problem to Evernote support some months ago, so they are aware of this bug even if they haven't fixed it. It's cosmetic, but "404 not found" on on this address is a bit unprofessional -- A URL like https://example.com/m/ is pretty common, and many people will try it. At the time this page was referenced in some Evernote documentation which is how I found it in the first place.

m.evernote.com exists in DNS, but there is no webserver listening on that server.

I am able to log in to www.evernote.com/m/‎ from my Android phone (Motorola RAZR MAXX HD) just fine, using the Chrome browser. I wouldn't say that it's a joyful experience, but it seems to be working.

There is also https://www.evernote.com/mobile/ , which is the same thing as https://www.evernote.com/m/ . The website will work in a pinch in case your Smartphone client doesn't work. But it doesn't work well.

-= Stefan

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Lessee.  There's an Android app which works rather well.  Why would you bother?

Lessee....maybe you want to switch accounts which can't be done on the Evernote for Android app?
Well, actually you can. Open up the panel where you find Notes, Notebooks, Tags, etc. Your account name is at the top. Tap on it, and select "Sign out". Now log into your other account.

Archived