(Archived) New guy needs help

DanMoerman

I'm new to evernote.  I've been using it to rough out a paper.  On one device (win8), the full screen with three panels is shown. On my main devise (Win7), only the main window is open. On neither can I figure out how to display the substance of the note I've been working on. It's title shows up at the top of the main window (but no text); it shows up also in the left column listing all notes.  but I can't get it to "open" so I can continue to work on the text.  I'm sure this is kindergarden stuff, but I just can't make it work.  dm 

• Level 5*

Hi - do you have the toolbar at the top with "view" as an option?  You can switch panels on and off from there,  or if you doubleclick a note title it should open up in a new window to show you the contents.

Yes, I have a "view" option, but it does not offer me any way obvious  to open new windows. It has four options  Show note info, show editing toolbar, show status bar, and show note history. The first three are all checked. the fourth requires updating to a paid version.  

On my win 8 machine, I do have the three panels, including the one on the left listing brief subjects. I double clicked on it, and it did open a new window, but it is empty. Nothing to edit;

I'm not sure if I did the win8 > server > win7 dance, but the two do seem to be properly synced, with no text in a note I've been working on for 2 weeks. Is there a backup somewhere?  This is really a big problem for me.

• Level 5*

OK I'm confused - three panels is good,  and the right-hand panel should be the note content.  My (Premium) Views menu though has a lot of options.

Let's go back to proper basics.  Have a look at Evernote.com in a browser,  and log into your account;  see what your notes look like there.  That's the ultimate authority - if the note's there,  you can restore it.  Meantime on your two windows machines I'd suggest finding any *.EXB files you can locate and backing those up just in case.  And don't sync either one again until you have looked at the web version.

I rebooted win7.  I now have all three windows. But still no file for this note.  The online version of evernote lists the title of the relevant note, but does not show any text for it.  Note that a number of other more cursory notes (some things to do with due dates) all seem to be fine.

I can't find any .exb files on my machine.  

One more issue.  After rebooting, then running evernote, I got some sort of a message saying that there are two versions, or something like that, and that I should pick the correct one. Something about a version 3.x and 4.x.  These do NOT seem to be two links, but one. I am running evernote v.4.6.7.8409

This is really disturbing and tells me that I should not use this software.  I had thought that it might be a really nice way to keep the 5 parts of an ongoing project in one place. But not if they disappear for no reason!

• Level 5*

Well, I hate to say it,  but it doesn't sound good. This isn't a case of the software not doing what it should,  but (due respect) you do have to push the right buttons for it to work,  and it sounds as though there might have been a shortfall there.  You have two versions of Evernote installed (there used - a long time ago - to be a V3) and these use separate databases.  It's even possible that you have more than the one account you're currently logged into,  although the other notes that you do recognise suggest that the account you're looking at is the one that you were using.

This is a user forum,  and we're happy to give advice where we can,  but no-one here has access under the hood.  I'd suggest you use the link in my signature below to raise a support ticket and see what they can find*.  They'll be able to trace all the accounts linked to your name / email address / user id,  so may be able to reunite you with your notes. 

If you made the important notes on the web or a desktop version,  and provided the changes were saved or synced,  the content should be saved somewhere..  hopefully it's just a question of finding where...

* The tech guys work on PST / weekdays and Premium users get priority,  so it may take a little while to get a real person involved.  Meantime and within 24 hours you should get an incident number,  which if you post it here,  the Powers That Be might take an interest to check up on exactly what happened here.

Archived