REQUEST : add reminder date to column options in list view

Since I now use Evernote for task management, list view is becoming my goto method of viewing and managing notes.  I'm currently using the windows desktop beta version, which now has the reminders feature.  Having the ability to include reminder date (and time) in the list view would be most helpful.

• Level 5

Try the reminder features?  You can search for and list dates...

As long as it is not the Windows client. Supposedly coming, but not here yet.

Unless you want to give the Windows client Beta a try.

In my opinion, especially for important data, not a recommended practice. Evernote does not offer support for Beta versions.

• 3 weeks later...

+1

Adding the Reminder Date as a column you can add to the grid, then, sort by would be really handy.

This would let you sort your list by "Due Date" (Reminder Date) and have another way to see what you need to tackle first (when using it as a To Do list, as many of us do).

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised this hasn't had more traction.  

I run across this need every week.  I review a notebook I've setup as my follow-up list.   I really don't want to / need to review items that are not due yet.  But, I do because I can't tell from the list what are "due" and what are not.  Adding the Reminder Date as a column option would be great for this.

Anyone have any input on this?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with you on this Jeffrey. I was thrilled with reminders at first, but without a way to hide notes with reminders, it's almost not worth the trouble. I continually have to review through folders of items that already have assigned due dates along with my other notes. Chris M. shares our frustration: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Tickler-File-What-I-had-2328651.S.244081013. If reminded notes could either (1) be faded or totally hidden in snippet/thumbnail view or (2) an additional column that for reminders is added to the list view, I would be a very happy man. 

On a side note, I did find out Zapier can add new Evernote notes with reminders when triggered by new events in Google Calendar. Both share the start date for the Google Calendar event.  This also gives the ability to send any repeating event as a note to Evernote. This may be the best option until Evernote comes out with repeating reminders. Granted, I'm not using this because I think it is silly to have to weed through notes with reminders along with my other notes, but the ability to do this is there if someone wants to use it. 

And yes I know I can use a search to filter reminders, but I need my projects in folders so their notes can be shared when needed. Using tags for projects would let me do custom searches, but would make it much more difficult to collaborate.

• Level 5

I continually have to review through folders of items that already have assigned due dates along with my other notes. Chris M. shares our frustration: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Tickler-File-What-I-had-2328651.S.244081013.

Frustration is right! After sitting on the sidelines for the past 2 months using version 4.7, and hoping the many issues in version 5.0 would be resolved, I finally succumbed and hit the upgrade button. I immediately wished I hadn't. Many issues... Chris M. nails the reminder issue with his comment:

"The issue I have with having a reminder about a note in a notebook is that note itself remains in your notebook all the time. I want a way to effectively hide the note from my everyday viewing until such time as the reminder comes up. Then I want it back on my radar. This is what a good tickler file system will do. Out of sight until it's relevant again. Then bring it to my attention."

I've noticed that Evernote's CEO Phil Libin has been noticeably quiet about this upgrade after the fact.

Sigh... time to roll up my sleeves and develop a variety of 5.0 work-arounds.

• 1 month later...

Appreciate all the suggested work arounds.   Yes, "work around" as this really seems like a missing feature.

Here is one more from "the secret weapon" -- http://www.thesecretweapon.org/ (shown in one of the videos....don't remember which) -- update the Created Date and sort on created date as your follow up date.     This 'works", but as a SW professional a field like Created Date should almost be immutable....doesn't feel right to me.

• Level 5

Yes, using the Created Date is a kludge work-around, but I still use it.

There was a very revealing comment by Phil Libin CEO of Evernote at LeWeb in Paris when asked about his previous promises for a Due Date field. After 3+ years of promises, he tried to laugh off the current users' work-around solution (Created Date as a method to track scheduled meetings, trips, and tasks) by simply laughing it off as he chuckled:

"Notes from the future, they are kind of creepy."

Search Code 47ER92
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

@Daren Thomas, @jbenson2, @Mike McGowan, @mossalot, @jbenson2

I just noticed in Evernote 6 that you can add the Reminder Time (which shows the date I think) column!

That's good news, it will expand the sort sequence options and I like seeing the data in grid form; 
although I'm wondering how people will make use of it.

I find saved searches based on reminder date to be more useful.
For example, I have a Current Tasks shortcut (search) based on reminder date.  Notes appear in the list on the required date and drop off when completed.

I also sync my reminders to my calendar (Cronofy Calendar Connector) so I see my reminders in the calendar grid.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

although I'm wondering how people will make use of it

Simple use would be to sort a search result set of notes, say next seven days, by reminder date.  ;)

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2016 at 1:38 PM, JeffreyC said:

Update:  Okay, so, LOL, I have a need for this now, and, yes, it works!  A list sorted by "what's due next!!!"

.... and there was much rejoicing....

:D

@JeffreyC -- I owe 'ya man!..... as does Evernote as this news makes up for the "Lack of Boolean search" thread I am now reading up on.

• 1 month later...

:wacko:  Well, wait.  So, I was going to start using this to manage some project deliverables, but, the Reminder column is not matching the new date I put on notes.   See the attachment.

I've synced.

I've closed down Evernote and re-opened.

Short of someone responding here today, I guess I'll open a support ticket with them.

Update: I don't show it in my screen shot, but I just noticed on these two notes that the Reminder column has the same data showing as the Updated column.  Very odd....

Evernote Reminder Column Wrong.png

Wow... It's been three years since I first posted this thread and it's still going.

Generally speaking I find the reminders feature in Evernote to be poorly implemented even now that they have added it to the list view. For me, it's more frustration than it's worth. I do use Evernote to manage tasks among other uses. I've implemented a task management system loosely based on GTD using tags. I use the subject line to capture the the intent of the task. When deferring tasks to a later date, I add the date at the beginning of the subject line using the format YYMMDD so that it sorts chronologically. For example, "160709 clean the garage." I then tag the task as [DEFERRED]. My shortcut bar at the top is reserved exclusively for task related tags. To get a list of all my deferred tasks, I simply click on the [DEFERRED] shortcut at the top, sort the subject in list view, and I'm good to go. All my deferred tasks are then displayed in the list view and I can easily identify any due that day or coming up soon. If I want to act on any of the tasks, I simply remove the date from the beginning of the subject line, change the tag from [DEFERRED] to [DOING] and I'm good to go. They are now in my doing list. It may sound tedious, but no more that using reminders and it's bullet proof.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Mark Willard said:

Wow... It's been three years since I first posted this thread and it's still going.

Generally speaking I find the reminders feature in Evernote to be poorly implemented even now that they have added it to the list view. For me, it's more frustration than it's worth. I do use Evernote to manage tasks among other uses. I've implemented a task management system loosely based on GTD using tags. I use the subject line to capture the the intent of the task. When deferring tasks to a later date, I add the date at the beginning of the subject line using the format YYMMDD so that it sorts chronologically. For example, "160709 clean the garage." I then tag the task as [DEFERRED]. My shortcut bar at the top is reserved exclusively for task related tags. To get a list of all my deferred tasks, I simply click on the [DEFERRED] shortcut at the top, sort the subject in list view, and I'm good to go. All my deferred tasks are then displayed in the list view and I can easily identify any due that day or coming up soon. If I want to act on any of the tasks, I simply remove the date from the beginning of the subject line, change the tag from [DEFERRED] to [DOING] and I'm good to go. They are now in my doing list. It may sound tedious, but no more that using reminders and it's bullet proof.

Sounds like you have a good system that works for you.  I tend to use saved searches to organize my tasks.  I have one that shows due today, plus any that are late.  Another for due tomorrow so I can get a heads up on what is needed tomorrow and then another for a week so I can get an outlook on what is coming.  I use tags only for Urgent and Recurring and I add colors to them so I can easily distinguish.

There is no right or wrong way and the beauty of Evernote is that it provides the flexibility for us to each do our own thing.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mark Willard said:

Generally speaking I find the reminders feature in Evernote to be poorly implemented even now that they have added it to the list view. For me, it's more frustration than it's worth.

I do use Evernote to manage tasks among other uses. I've implemented a task management system loosely based on GTD using tags. I use the subject line to capture the the intent of the task. When deferring tasks to a later date, I add the date at the beginning of the subject line using the format YYMMDD so that it sorts chronologically. For example, "160709 clean the garage." I then tag the task as [DEFERRED]. My shortcut bar at the top is reserved exclusively for task related tags. To get a list of all my deferred tasks, I simply click on the [DEFERRED] shortcut at the top, sort the subject in list view, and I'm good to go. All my deferred tasks are then displayed in the list view and I can easily identify any due that day or coming up soon. If I want to act on any of the tasks, I simply remove the date from the beginning of the subject line, change the tag from [DEFERRED] to [DOING] and I'm good to go. They are now in my doing list. It may sound tedious, but no more that using reminders and it's bullet proof.

For me, I use the reminder feature simply as a due date field.

You say you add the due date to the title
I'm not seeing it as useful there.
I also avoid task tagging - the date is all I need

For example, here's my search for my current task list
       reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*
This gives me: all tasks with a reminder date; exclude future-dated; exclude completed
Tasks drop off when completed
Tasks get added when the due date is reached

• Level 5
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Another for due tomorrow so I can get a heads up on what is needed tomorrow and then another for a week so I can get an outlook on what is coming.

What are the search terms you use for these two searches? Thank you

• Level 5*

For work today (I have a work stack and a home stack):

stack:Work reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

For work tomorrow:

stack:Work reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+2 -reminderDoneTime:*

For work upcoming week:

stack:Work reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+7 -reminderDoneTime:*

As you can see it is just a variation on the window size.

Archived