Can I use unicode?

spartanhooah

No. I haven't had to use unicode in my life (I have done alt codes, if it's at all similar), so I didn't even know where to begin, and I couldn't find any information about it by searching. How do you do it?

Edit: Ok, I've found out that I can copy and paste things from e.g. http://unicode-table.com/en/#2227, but is there not a way to type them in if I know the code, as I can with alt codes?

• Level 5*

What do you mean by unicode? Is there a particular character you are trying to input?

The encoding for Evernote notes (as far as I know) is UTF-8, so that ought to cover a lot of stuff. In fact, I haven't had any trouble with characters before. The only trouble you might run into is if you try to drag a UTF-16 file into Evernote, as that will end up as an attachment. However, this is probably an uncommon issue ().%C2'>

• Level 5*

Characters for set notation and logical connectors, such as ∧ and ∀.

I just copied your post (the one I'm quoting) and pasted it into an Evernote note in the Windows client. It went fine. The only problems that I know of that might exist are when the selected typeface doesn't have a character representation for a particular code point.

@GM: isn't it true that UTF-8 and UTF-16 can encode the entire Unicode character set?

• Level 5*

You'll need to search the web for something like "windows type unicode characters" to find a way that works best for you. It's something I don't do often at all.

• Level 5*

Characters for set notation and logical connectors, such as ∧ and ∀.

I just copied your post (the one I'm quoting) and pasted it into an Evernote note in the Windows client. It went fine. The only problems that I know of that might exist are when the selected typeface doesn't have a character representation for a particular code point.@GM: isn't it true that UTF-8 and UTF-16 can encode the entire Unicode character set?
It's an Evernote issue. It only converts utf-8 files to notes and will not convert utf-16 files to notes. A fellow user recently contacted me with a less clumsy method than the one I use for the conversion, so I might post on that later. As you said, though, the characters themselves are covered, so unicode is fine.

The OP is apparently looking for the code (I guess) for typing in those characters. It isn't really an Evernote problem, but a Windows one. People use websites (http://math.typeit.org/) and the like to handle it. There must surely be a text expander thingy available somewhere.

• Level 5*

It's an Evernote issue. It only converts utf-8 files to notes and will not convert utf-16 files to notes. A fellow user recently contacted me with a less clumsy method than the one I use for the conversion, so I might post on that later. As you said, though, the characters themselves are covered, so unicode is fine.

Sounds like that's just on reading files (i.e. an encoding problem), and that's surprising -- I assumed that they'd use a separate library to manage that, and it would just work, but UTF-16 apparently has awkward problems with byte order, and the UTF-16 files that have problems might just be incorrectly encoded. But that's all besides the point, as you know...

The OP is apparently looking for the code (I guess) for typing in those characters. It isn't really an Evernote problem, but a Windows one. People use websites (http://math.typeit.org/) and the like to handle it. There must surely be a text expander thingy available somewhere.

You can search on ways to enable the ways to do that. There are more than one, and they all seem awkward (you still have to know the hex or decimal number of the character you want). You can use the Windows-included Character Map accessory, but that's copy/paste so awkward again. I'm sure that you can get AutoHotKey or equivalent to insert a unicode character (or characters) on a hot key, but how many of those do you want to set up?
  • 1 year later...

I created a note yesterday on my Android tablet.  Updating it today on my Mac,  I'm getting this message:   

The file “note.xhtml” couldn’t be saved using text encoding Unicode (UTF-8). If possible, select a different text encoding"

I don't have any idea what is "Unicode (UTF-8)"  or how to "select a different text encoding"?  Is this because I inserted some symbols in my note?? 

(I am new to forums, could not figure out how to create a new post - apologies if this reply isn't appropriately placed.)

Help??? 

• Level 5*

(I am new to forums, could not figure out how to create a new post - apologies if this reply isn't appropriately placed.)

You've posted in a Windows-specific topic; you should instead post into forums specific to your platform (Mac, I'd guess). Go here and look for the "Start New Topic" button towards the upper right-hand side of the forum page.

Archived