(Archived) Upload allowance out of sync - Mac & web report different amounts

menevets

Idea

Mac client (Version 5.2.1 (401587)) reports no space left, on Chrome browser, it reports space left. How do I get it back in sync? They're both adding space used correctly, it seems like one is behind the other. The Mac client won't let me add notes, so I do so in the web version.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I'd suggest you either leave it until after the next reset and see if that gets fixed,  or raise a support ticket (see below).  If you're prem and have a 1GB limit,  you're close enough to the max to be in danger of causing problems - I'd stop now,  or buy new headroom.  If you're not inclined to do that - there's always local notebooks until you get a reset or a response from Support.

Mac client (Version 5.2.1 (401587)) reports no space left, on Chrome browser, it reports space left. How do I get it back in sync? They're both adding space used correctly, it seems like one is behind the other. The Mac client won't let me add notes, so I do so in the web version.

Have you sync'd the Mac?  The true remaining allowance is on the EN servers.  If that last time the Mac sync'd you were low on space, then it resets, the Mac doesn't know this until the next sync.

I'd suggest you either leave it until after the next reset and see if that gets fixed,  or raise a support ticket (see below).  If you're prem and have a 1GB limit,  you're close enough to the max to be in danger of causing problems - I'd stop now,  or buy new headroom.  If you're not inclined to do that - there's always local notebooks until you get a reset or a response from Support.

I've had this problem for for about a month and a half now, so I already let it reset, the problem is still there. I used to be a premium user about 2 months ago. I wonder if not renewing has something to do with the problem. I also use clients on XP, Windows 8, iOS 6 and Android 4.2.1 in addition to Mac - maybe using so many of them confuses EN? I've had conflicts happen when they should not have - just updating a note on Windows 8 that I have not touched with any other client for months resulted in a conflict notebook/note. The Mac client gets most of the usage though.

Have you sync'd the Mac?  The true remaining allowance is on the EN servers.  If that last time the Mac sync'd you were low on space, then it resets, the Mac doesn't know this until the next sync.

Yeah, I sync all the time and let one month go by to see what would happen. I was thinking of uninstalling and then reinstalling, but I have over 8000 notes. I really don't want to spend the time to sync from scratch all the note titles as I just did on Windows 8.

I'm on OS X 10.8.2 - I haven't updated to 10.8.4 - maybe that has something to do with it?

• Level 5*

Certainly worth a try upgrading - I was in your position a few months ago;  except my difference was tens of MB and made a serious dent each month.  After going through all the other options my choice was to reinstall and re-sync and I felt exactly the same about waiting for the database to catch up.  I was going to do it though - and then I waited so long that one or another Evernote upgrade fixed the issue for me and I didn't have to..

Certainly worth a try upgrading - I was in your position a few months ago;  except my difference was tens of MB and made a serious dent each month.  After going through all the other options my choice was to reinstall and re-sync and I felt exactly the same about waiting for the database to catch up.  I was going to do it though - and then I waited so long that one or another Evernote upgrade fixed the issue for me and I didn't have to..

Hmmm, maybe that will happen for me if I wait. I forget - if I reinstall, will the notes with audio file attachments download the audio files as well or just the text? If the audio files don't download unless I explicitly open the notes, then I'll save a lot of disk space.

• Level 5*

Are your audio file "attachments" actually part of the database?  ie are they embedded in notes,  or just linked from elsewhere?  If they're embedded they should just download with any re-sync.  No space saving there I'm afraid.

PS in all this re-sync talk: beware if you have local notebooks that aren't synced with the Evernote servers.  If you plan to reinstall you need to export / backup those notebooks first and re-import after the sync completes.

Are your audio file "attachments" actually part of the database?  ie are they embedded in notes,  or just linked from elsewhere?  If they're embedded they should just download with any re-sync.  No space saving there I'm afraid.

PS in all this re-sync talk: beware if you have local notebooks that aren't synced with the Evernote servers.  If you plan to reinstall you need to export / backup those notebooks first and re-import after the sync completes.

Oh well, I think it was on mobile apps that the mp3 downloads only if you open the note? No local notebooks. Thanks for your help.

Archived