(Archived) Evernote 5 beta Performance Issues

Nico B

Evernote 5 beta for windows is ver slow. So slow in fact, that I got so annoyed I write this post.

Some of the things, that simply have too great a lag:

• Tag-Autocomplete: Type something....wait...see the tag you want...wait...tag selected (in fact if I'm too fast, I see the tag selection, but it uses the tag-stub I used for searching) - this shuld work like a snap, because I use it all the time.
  • Moving Notes: It takes up to 2 secs. before a note moves to a new notebook
  • Selecting Notebooks or Tags: Sets Evernote in Sleepmode for a second or two. Can't work.

That's it for now! Looking forward to the next update.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the useful report, and for using and testing the beta but I don't get the anger.

Due respect, but look up "beta" in your browser of choice. There are benefits and risks associated with using that channel - you do get the latest pre-release features, but there's a strong possibility that there will still be undocumented problems that might threaten your sanity if not your data. I'm a staunch Evernote supporter (obviously!) but my v5 resides on the "work" laptop for light use and testing, and my precious data is snuggled safe and warm in 4.6.7 public.

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote 5 beta for windows is ver slow. So slow in fact, that I got so annoyed I write this post.

Some of the things, that simply have too great a lag:

• Tag-Autocomplete: Type something....wait...see the tag you want...wait...tag selected (in fact if I'm too fast, I see the tag selection, but it uses the tag-stub I used for searching) - this shuld work like a snap, because I use it all the time.
  • Moving Notes: It takes up to 2 secs. before a note moves to a new notebook
  • Selecting Notebooks or Tags: Sets Evernote in Sleepmode for a second or two. Can't work.

That's it for now! Looking forward to the next update.

In my case I have fatal crashs and reseting Evernote. Is there a way to go back to my previous version?

• Level 5*

If you backed up your v4 database before the upgrade it may be possible to go back, but I'd hold off upgrading if you have any doubts and raise this question with the support team to get a definitive answer...

• Level 5*

You can almost certainly go back to V4, if you have an installation for it. You will need to move your current database (the .exb file) elsewhere, install V4, and then and then it will sync from the servers into a V4 database. May take some time, depending on how many notes that you have.

• Level 5*

People encountering slowness should note that it may be due to a database conversion that runs when you first install V5. It's slow for a bit (depends on how many notes you have), then it's fine, in my case anyways.

• 3 months later...

Even the GA version of v5 is slow and with a new UI apparently designed by committee. One of the worst major upgrades I've seen by any software vendor...and I'm a software industry analyst. No shame in rolling it back (if anyone at the mothership is listening). 

• Level 5*

Even the GA version of v5 is slow and with a new UI apparently designed by committee. One of the worst major upgrades I've seen by any software vendor...and I'm a software industry analyst. No shame in rolling it back (if anyone at the mothership is listening). 

Wow, worse than these? http://mashable.com/2013/07/09/worst-software-updates/ (found in a 5-second Google search). Hey, I'm a software industry analyst!! OK, so that was gratuitous snark -- I'm actually a software developer. But, as in all professions (including software developers), there are good X's and bad X's. Just being an X gives you a viewpoint, but not necessarily any credibility. That comes with a bit larger sample size than we have here. Expanding on your claim, adding details, etc., that's useful. Just tossing rocks (the post seems to be relatively low on detail and high on cliche/hyperbole)  is, well, just tossing rocks.

OK, so some observations from my usage, on the two machines that I run the Windows V5 client (both desktops, for what it's worth):

* At the time that the post was made, DB conversion was a thing (which happened in the background of normal Evernote operation). For most folks who are already on V5, it is no longer.

* Where I see slowness are some occasional lags when typing in searches. It appears to be worse than in V4. Might be associated with the search-while-typing feature, which can be addressed via a registry setting if needed (it doesn't bother me all that much).

* Startup and sync do seem slower -- for those folks who shutdown Evernote with some frequency, or need manual sync, I can see that being a problem.

Not sure what other people are experiencing as slowness. There's some forum commentary that perhaps rebuilding the database might help, or turning off the Related Notes feature, etc. 

Oh, and BTW, the folks at Evernote do read these, and heed substance when it's offered in a constructive form. On the other hand, I doubt very much that a wholesale rolling back of Evernote to the V4 interface is going to happen, though it's not my call, nor do I care that much (I liked a number of things in V4 that didn't make the trip the the next level, but I like other things just fine). But that's just my guess, based on no inside information.

Archived