(Archived) How To: Add the same title to multiple notes as a batch?

larsbenedit

Idea

Hello,

i'm importing multiple folders with images (each folder containing ca. 20- 300 images) into Evernote on a mac. I want to give them all the same name in the title without having to manually go into every note and copy/paste the title.

I can add tags to these photos as a batch but couldn't  find something similar for the titles on the web/forum (apologies if this question/answer has been posted before).

Batch editing the name of the files before import is not an option because i need to keep the original filename for export. I have only one folder (inbox) and use tagging for my hierachy so don't want to add tags for titles too. Is there solution for this (Evernote, script or third party app)?

Big thanks in advance.

Lars

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi Lars. There is no such function. If you copy/pasted the images into another notebook, renamed them there, and then imported them, that would be the easiest (use Automator http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/batch-rename-multiple-files.php). Of course, you can only have similar names (trip photo 01, trip photo 02, etc.) outside the app, and cannot make them exactly the same.

Why, though, do you need to rename them with the same name at all? I would recommend unique names myself. I would think tagging would be sufficient to group them, if that's the aim.

Hi Grumpy Monkey,

thanks for your reply. Very kind! To explain: I'm a photographer and plan to use evernote as database for inspirational pictures. For example i have folder with Henri Cartier-Bresson pictures from different source on the net. If i put them in evernote its much more visually appealing if each note has the title 'Henri Cartier-Bresson' instead of the respective filename. To rename them all in automator would mean i'll loose the original title of the file which might be problem if i try to locate the source of the picture at some point or export these pictures).  Plus i would then have to manually delete all the '01,02,03' that automator would create. 

I found this in the forum:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24148-tip-some-applescripts-for-en-templates-multi-note-tagging-multi-note-title-editing-and-more/

Someone offering a script to "add to the title of multiple notes" which sounds like it could be for me? May i ask if you recommend or had any experience with scripts? Big thanks in advance.

Best Wishes 

Lars

• Level 5*

Hi Grumpy Monkey,

thanks for your reply. Very kind! To explain: I'm a photographer and plan to use evernote as database for inspirational pictures. For example i have folder with Henri Cartier-Bresson pictures from different source on the net. If i put them in evernote its much more visually appealing if each note has the title 'Henri Cartier-Bresson' instead of the respective filename. To rename them all in automator would mean i'll loose the original title of the file which might be problem if i try to locate the source of the picture at some point or export these pictures).  Plus i would then have to manually delete all the '01,02,03' that automator would create. 

I found this in the forum:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24148-tip-some-applescripts-for-en-templates-multi-note-tagging-multi-note-title-editing-and-more/

Someone offering a script to "add to the title of multiple notes" which sounds like it could be for me? May i ask if you recommend or had any experience with scripts? Big thanks in advance.

Best Wishes 

Lars

Sorry. I don't know anymore. I'll say again, though, that the process I suggested is terribly simple and (to my mind) solves all of your problems. You can add "Henri Cartier-Bresson" to the front of every title and you are all done. The original image name is kept in the title (it would follow the name) and all of them say the name (without any 01, 02, or 03). It is a one minute solution that (in my opinion) is far superior to identical names.

• Level 5*

Thanks Christopher for your help. You are right, this will do for now :)  Best Wishes

Glad I could help. I should add, though, that the ability to batch-rename notes would be nice. I doubt it would be high on the developers' list of things to do, but there are many times in the past when I would have found this useful.

Good luck with the images! Let me also caution you to do one more thing. I strongly recommend that you rename them (as we discussed) and then put them in a LOCAL (not a synced notebook). Take a look at them there. See what you think. Are they all the right orientation? Is this how you want them to look? Then, start moving them into a synced notebook a few dozen or so at a time. If you reach your upload limit for the month, your notes will still be available (on the desktop) and you can move the remainder of the LOCAL notes into the synced notebook next month.

Archived