Feature Reaquest - Notebook Views

birdg735

Idea

Hello - new forum member - 2 year user of EN

I searched - I swear - not deep, but nonetheless.  If this has been addressed, I would appreciate the link.

This app/service has become ingrained in my work life.  I have done this in steps, and a recent addition to my uses exposed an annoyance/weakness.  That is the sort order of notes within different notebooks.  I have some that alpha sort is preferred, yet that would be a hinderance in my default notebook.  I use tags a lot, but at times distinct notebooks are a better answer.

So ... allow for different views per NB, such as:

NB1  - Current system default (latest note modification date)

NB2  - Sorted Alpha

NB3 - Sorted Date Create

NB4 - etc.

Thanks if there are answers out there, or this considered by devs.

7 replies to this idea

Hello - new forum member - 2 year user of EN

I searched - I swear - not deep, but nonetheless.  If this has been addressed, I would appreciate the link.

This app/service has become ingrained in my work life.  I have done this in steps, and a recent addition to my uses exposed an annoyance/weakness.  That is the sort order of notes within different notebooks.  I have some that alpha sort is preferred, yet that would be a hinderance in my default notebook.  I use tags a lot, but at times distinct notebooks are a better answer.

So ... allow for different views per NB, such as:

NB1  - Current system default (latest note modification date)

NB2  - Sorted Alpha

NB3 - Sorted Date Create

NB4 - etc.

Thanks if there are answers out there, or this considered by devs.

On the Windows client, you can change the sort order. I think Mac does this as well. But you cannot specify notebooks to be sorted differently.

Yup - got that

EN works for me because of the multi platform:

Primary - Mac

Win 7

IOS5 - G1 iPad

Android - SGS3

But would appreciate being able to sort individually by Notebook

Thanks for the reply - maybe I didn't miss the obvious!!

• Level 5*

Yup - got that

EN works for me because of the multi platform:

Primary - Mac

Win 7

IOS5 - G1 iPad

Android - SGS3

But would appreciate being able to sort individually by Notebook

Thanks for the reply - maybe I didn't miss the obvious!!

Hi. This is an oft-requested feature. Personally, I doubt it will be implemented, but I do think it would be nice.

In my opinion, the best solution would be the ability to specify sort order in the search grammar so that you could control the order for any search. If you use notebooks, a search might look like "notebook:work sort:updated" and if you use tags, it might look like "tag:personal sort:title". With a saved search you could save this across devices. Even though the iPad only has three sorts, being able to specify sort order from the search grammar would give you access to at least sixteen.

Anyhow, a workaround for now is to leave your sort on "title" and change your title styles. For notes you want sorted alphabetically, put words in the front of the title. For ones you want sorted by date created or updated, manually put that in the title (I suggest yymmdd). I have been doing this for a while now (a couple of years) and it works well for me.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367

• Level 5*

One potential problem with notebook-specific sorting; you need to cover the case when notes from multiple notebooks are displayed. Not a big deal; could just be a global setting. Another context: is sort order for stacks also required?

@GM: Yes. I've wanted sorting to be specifiable in the search grammar for years now. :)

yes, i would like to be able to click on a notebook, and have different default views as well.  

say, "journal" notebook default to 'list' view.  "to-dos" notebook default to 'snippet' view .  etc etc.

has this feature been implemented yet?

thanks!

• Level 5*

yes, i would like to be able to click on a notebook, and have different default views as well.  

say, "journal" notebook default to 'list' view.  "to-dos" notebook default to 'snippet' view .  etc etc.

thanks!

Hi. This feature does not exist, and I have not heard any word about it being under development.

thanks!

Nope.  Just asked this via a support chat, and had it sent (somewhere, presumably) as a feature request.

With the verve and ignorance of a newcomer, I find the database implementation of Evernote as a "note manager" disappointing.  Adobe's Lightroom, and Apple's Aperture (two programs I know) are years ahead of Evernote in terms of DAM, where the asset for them is Images.  (To be fair, Evernote is years and more ahead of them in terms of sharing and syncing.  Afaik, Evernote seems to have solved a lot of the hard stuff, and ignored the easy stuff.)  Finder, which has never been elegant, is as least as good a file-manager as Evernote is a Notes-manager.  (That's not a compliment  ;) .)

Every container — not sure what these are called on Evernote Island — should retain it's sort order.  Sorting is _data-specific_, not tool-specific.  I don't sort because I am using a viewer (or viewing the contents of a container); I sort based on the data in the container.  

Archived