(Archived) Highlighting Text on iPad & iPhone

tgd85

I can't seem to find a way to highlight text on either my iPad or iPhone. The desktop version has a highlight tool in text formatting toolbar...am I missing something here or is this basic feature not included in the iOS versions? I'm not talking about PDFs either...plan ol' text imported into Evernote through Web Clipper or email. 

I can't seem to find a way to highlight text on either my iPad or iPhone. The desktop version has a highlight tool in text formatting toolbar...am I missing something here or is this basic feature not included in the iOS versions? I'm not talking about PDFs either...plan ol' text imported into Evernote through Web Clipper or email.

Select the text you want to highlight in the usual IOS manner.

On the iPad, tap the ! next to the formatting buttons on the left of the strip above the keyboard and your selection should be highlighted.

Similarly, on the iPhone, tap the A formatting button on the right of the keyboard and then tap the ! button.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this info, Imagenomad, but I would say to the Evernote team: This is still too cumbersome. It ought to be possible to select a highlight tool, and have it remain active so you can quickly swipe your finger across anything you'd like to highlight as you read down a simple, non-PDF piece of text, as can be done in iBooks and, I suspect, the Kindle app. I need this feature all the time, and my workaround is to import text into iBooks to do it. The trouble is, after that I can only export the highlighted portions; I can't see them in context back in Evernote, where I need them.

As far as I know, no one is providing this truly obvious feature for easy-to-browse text on a mobile device, except where (unwieldy) PDFs are concerned. Evernote should.

• 4 weeks later...

Completely agree - clipping a web article to Evenote and then later using my iPad to read it (and highlight it easily!) is a great use case that isn't met yet.  You have to cause the keyboard to appear to get the highlight format option everytime you want to highlight.  

Strangely, highlight seems to be missing in the web Evernote altogether.

Thankfully, this experience is pretty close to right in OSX Evernote.   (Would be nice to have highlight option appear after selecting text or as a top-level option on right click context menu)

Archived