(Archived) Touch is deleting my notes

sburford

This has happened twice now. Have deleted the app and reinstalled. When I tap on a note that I want to look at all the content disapears - but the note headline is still there.  Then when I tap the back arrow the note now reads NEW NOTE and the original is GONE.  (tragically, it is also now gone on my Note 2 - Android).

Has anyone had this experience?  If you are like me, my notes are WAY too important to trust it to a program that is going to erase them (and then erase them from ALL backups upon 'syncing').  I really like Evernote, but I will have to go with something else if this persists...

thanks,

I am a Premium subscriber (if that means anything)

• Level 5*

Can't imagine what combination of circumstance would cause an existing note to evaporate in this way - but being a Premium member means you'll get priority for any support ticket requests you file (see below) and your notes will have a 'history' so that you can recall previous versions of anything that remains.  I'd suggest you check your trash folder for anything that may have been discarded,  and set up and save some test notes to experiment what sequence of keystrokes kills the content.

Can't imagine what combination of circumstance would cause an existing note to evaporate in this way - but being a Premium member means you'll get priority for any support ticket requests you file (see below) and your notes will have a 'history' so that you can recall previous versions of anything that remains.  I'd suggest you check your trash folder for anything that may have been discarded,  and set up and save some test notes to experiment what sequence of keystrokes kills the content.

The combination of circumstances is actually quite simple and easily reproducible. The touch client is, at best, unstable/unreliable. Every time you open a note, it counts as editing--there's no view/edit separation like in other clients. On a good day, this is a mere inconvenience--viewing a note counts as modifying it. On a less good day, the note won't load for whatever reason... as soon as you hit the back button, the app saves the current state and syncs it to the service. In the case of a note that failed to load "current state" is an empty note. It won't be in the trash; if you're lucky, you can restore it from a previous version using the Desktop version of Evernote.

If possible, send Evernote your error logs -- perhaps one day they'll get the app's problems sorted out. My advice for the time being is to avoid the touch client.

• Level 5*

For what it's worth,  my Win 8 laptop is on its way to me - I finally decided to (reluctantly) join the 21½th Century and find out how many of my essential apps will actually work on this OS.  I hate (and I do mean hate) unnecessary learning curves,  and this is several in one.  Evernote is one of my essentials,  so I hope the desktop version is usable - I don't think I'll be using Touch at all...

Archived