(Archived) Evernote uploading same PDF again and again... and again

pangloss

I'm having a problem where the Evernote desktop client is uploading the same PDF note over and over, to the point that I've run out of space for the month without clipping much of anything. I was wondering why I kept getting notifications that I was using up my space for the month, but never paid much attention to it until I suddenly reached 95% full. After investigating, I noticed that the same PDF note -- from several months ago -- was suddenly appearing at the top of my note list on the Web interface every time I went into my account, with EN indicating every time that it had been updated "moments ago." This seemed impossible, since the note has been sitting untouched for ages. Meanwhile, I watched my usage creep up to nearly 100% without doing anything else. I even added a small note to the account, pushing the PDF in question to second in line in the list of notes (sorted by date created). When I came back a few minutes later, the old PDF was back at the top with the same indication that it had been recently updated.

Like I said, the note isn't duplicating or anything, it's just eating up all my space by replacing itself over and over. Once I figured out the issue I moved the note into a local notebook, so hopefully it will solve the issue for now. But I'd really prefer it to be synced to the cloud. Has anybody else had this problem?

• Level 5*

Syncing does sometimes seem to cause problems like this - usually because it terminates early and needs to retry.  If you have other items that haven't caused an issue,  it sounds like this PDF is too big or contains some sort of an error or naming problem - or maybe it just takes its note over the limit for size.  Your best bet would be to raise this as a support ticket (see below) in hopes they might take pity on you and give you a pass on some of the upload damage,  plus they can look at the file (or whatever part of it was uploaded) and maybe tell you what the problem is.  Otherwise I'd suggest opening the PDF in a proper editor and re-saving it so you have a brand new file,  then retry syncing with a careful eye on the progress.  Let us know how you get on!

Thanks for your reply. It's a tiny file, but clearly something is wrong with it since it sits on top of the note list on both the Web and desktop clients no matter how I sort or what I do to it. As you suggested, I did end up opening the PDF and re-saving it as a new file before deleting the offending note. When my quota resets in a couple of weeks I'll try to re-import it and see if it works any better.

Archived