(Archived) Suggestion to Evernote: Email Confirmation

Hello Evernote.

You must add an email confirmation to the new user set-up from now on. 

I initially used the iPhone app and hastily signed up so that I could simply try it out. In fact, I was half annoyed at the time that I had to sign up at all.

So I began using the service and found it helpful, and then one fateful day you demanded that I update my password for security reasons. I dutifully reset the password and awaited my new one or a link in my inbox. It never came. I tried to open the app but now it no longer automatically logged in and I was asked for user information. This had never happened before and was at a loss. 

I scoured my email for evernote information but had received nothing and there seemed no way to confirm that I had even had an evernote account.

I contacted your support, and received unhelpful replies and eventually was informed that my help ticket was resolved and closed. Not the case. 

I gave up on evernote and tried a different service, quite annoyed that I had lost all of my notes. I told people about this. 

Then one day, before finally removing the app from my phone, I once again tried guessing at the login, and lo-and-behold I somehow got it right.

So I checked out the email information online in my settings and what did I find! I had hastily entered my information originally and had incorrectly typed my email address. 

If there had been an email confirmation sent to my account, this never would have happened. 

Thanks very much. Great service, but poor support.

The lack of email confirmation would be a red-flag. That's what it would do.

And I wouldn't have been able to start making notes without having confirmed and so I would have checked my account information, or signed up again.

Or how about just making new users type the email twice. These are pretty common approaches for new users these days.

• Level 5*

Ok.  I take your point that these days every time I sign up for something I get a confirmation email that will either allow me access or self-destruct the account if I don't reply.  I don't know what the current Evernote process is,  but it would be good if someone could review it..

Thanks, yeah!

Indeed—perhaps they will review the process. I didn't use evernote for anything too important, but I like the service and was disappointed when I couldn't log back in and that the support was so unhelpful. It seems every app I use these days demands a sign-up and access to information and all that, so it can be tough to keep track...

This would also never have happened if you, as a responsible computer user, had made a note about what email/password you generated. 

The reason you must have an account for Evernote is because it's a cloud service.  Can't really use a cloud if you don't have an account.

hehe. Thanks for tip, sensei—and I do generally keep good track of all passwords, but in this case I lapsed, so sure, some blame is mine.

However: I set up evernote on my phone—far from my computer where I keep a keychain. And at that time I didn't know it was a cloud service, just a note taking app...

As a cloud service it's that much more important that login data be confirmed. 

hehe. Thanks for tip, sensei—and I do generally keep good track of all passwords, but in this case I lapsed, so sure, some blame is mine.

However: I set up evernote on my phone—far from my computer where I keep a keychain. And at that time I didn't know it was a cloud service, just a note taking app...

As a cloud service it's that much more important that login data be confirmed.

I don't know why it's more important for a cloud service. I'm just as protective about my Chase, Wells Fargo, Amazon logins. You're right in that so many websites require logins. But I think the onus Is on the user. Just like the onus of protecting my car/home is on me by locking the doors. If we're going to be creating accounts, we should be responsible enough to keep track of what email addresses we use & the associated passwords. Another very real reason is because some people accidentally create multiple accounts or create one with an email address they no longer use (could be tied with a previous job). So when they don't remember the password and no longer have access to the email address, they must contact support & try to convince support that the account really is theirs by answering some personal questions about notes that may be in the account. After all, you wouldn't want a competitor or a ex SO getting access to yur account now, would you? ;-).

Archived