Why use Skitch instead of Preview?

unfrostedpoptart

Idea

Hi.

I'm still trying to get into EN. The other day I selected part of a PDF doc and pasted it into an EN Note.  I quickly found out that EN can't resize a graphic.  The program suggested using Skitch.  I installed it since it was free and was able to open the graphic in Skitch and save back to my Note.  However, I found the Skitch GUI extremely  non-Mac (or Windows, for that matter) and was also missing simple features like filled shapes.  So, I tried again, opening the graphic from EN to Preview - which is on every Mac and has been very powerful in since Lion.  I could do any of the manipulations I needed and then save back to my EN note.

So, why were people so happy when Skitch was released and linked to EN?  Is there something I'm missing or are people just used to it?  I don't see any reason to use it over Preview - or PE for more complex work.

David

8 replies to this idea

Forgive me if I've missed it, but is Preview available on the iPhone, or on Android, or Windows?

If Preview appears to you and suits your needs, great! I believe people are most happy about our products, however, because they are available wherever they need them.

Forgive me if I've missed it, but is Preview available on the iPhone, or on Android, or Windows?

If Preview appears to you and suits your needs, great! I believe people are most happy about our products, however, because they are available wherever they need them.

Wow - that's a pretty snarky response, especially since I posted under topic "MAC" and added tag "osx" to my post!  Sarcastic responses from Evernote employees to your customers' questions is not a good business practice.  

David

I was not intending to be snarky - You did mention Windows in your post, so it did appear that you were a cross-platform user, even though posting in the Mac section.

Indeed, as I said, the majority of our users find the benefit of our products in their cross platform usage (as they don't only access their accounts on their computer, but also on their phones, on their work machines, etc).

Wow - that's a pretty snarky response, especially since I posted under topic "MAC" and added tag "osx" to my post!  Sarcastic responses from Evernote employees to your customers' questions is not a good business practice.  

Welcome to Evernote!  To use this product you have to re-orient yourself to a culture where the customer is considered a necessary annoyance.  Most company's have user forums so that the company can listen to the customer and use the feedback to build a better product - at EN the forums provide a venue for the company to tell the customers they are stupid.

• Level 5*

I'm closing the thread here. I think everyone has aired their thoughts on this subject. 

To summarize, in answer to the original poster's question about why Skitch is used instead of Preview, Heather wrote: "the majority of our users find the benefit of our products in their cross platform usage (as they don't only access their accounts on their computer, but also on their phones, on their work machines, etc)." A more general re-statement of her explanation might be that Evernote puts a priority on certain use cases and the development of those features that will impact users working across platforms.

Archived