(Archived) V5 Beta 2

dlu

Hello folks! We're excited to announce a second beta with.... wait for it... Reminders! It isn't 100% there, but we think you'll find it pretty useful. I have copied the release notes below that have some more detail. This beta 2 also has Announcements that will help newer users learn quick tips and neat ways to use Evernote. We have also taken a bunch of feedback around the frame of the app so we are reverting back to a standard frame as well as made some design changes to accommodate it. Please let us know if you are still getting "lost" so to speak. We've also cleaned up misc bugs here and there.

Thanks for everyone who has tried it out thus far. Again, I may not respond to ever single post, but I do read everything in this thread.

Thanks again for trying it out!

cheers!

*EDIT* We pushed out a quick hotfix with Reminders so you should now update to http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.0.0.980.exe

------------------------------------------------

Evernote for Windows 5.0.0.964 Release Notes

• Improvements:
    • First version of Reminders
      • Reminders can be set on individual notes
      • Reminders appear above the notelist in card view and snippet view
      • Reminders can be quickly marked as done in the snippet view & card view.
      • Reminder preferences under Tools >> Options
      • Known issue: Reminders do not show up in List view
      • Known issue: Unable to reorder Reminders in a notebook
    • Announcements in the left panel
      • Announcements help you learn about Evernote
      • Announcements can be saved to your Evernote account for future reference
    • Business users can convert personal notebooks to business notebooks
    • Keyboard shortcut for Jump to notebooks (Shift+Alt+N)
    • Keyboard shortcut for Jump to Tags (Shift+Alt+T)
    • Keyboard shortcut for Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+0 will jump to your first 10 Shortcuts in left panel
    • Known issue: Keyboard navigation in Card view and Snippet view
    • Known Issue: Users unable to separate business and personal notebooks
  • Fixes:
    • Fix for Shortcuts not syncing
    • Fix for maximizing the Evernote window
    • Numerous bug fixes

Had the same question: Why does the numbering say (2) if I only have 1 reminder - it seems to count the notebook in which the 1 reminder is as another, second item. Somewhat confusing.

And again: I had my problem with taking over the old database, probably due to a foul-up in the first install of V5. V5 Beta 1 ran in the folder "evernote4", renaming this to "evernote" did the trick.

Apart from that, install = ok.

Issues

- reminder searches don't appear to work for me? Just finds the text (i.e. reminderOrder) in my notes.

- Not clear in the reminder list whether there is a reminder or notebook listed when looking at all notes:

- Also says 6, when there are in fact 3 listed.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/26e4e28d-982c-436b-a5af-ce44387b30c9/0e7153ac54f7dce27349498278001e58

- A little unintuitive to add a date to a reminder. You choose a date then just click outside the small popup but it is a little unclear that the date/time will be saved.

- Sometimes the complete note doesn't show for some reason. Not sure why, or what causes it. Will try and track it down a bit more:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/862a79b2-b596-4f9c-a67f-0c9b5b4a5758/40475c5769dfc7e5b72fe829b687fb78

Observations

- The new shortcuts (notebooks/tags and Ctrl + 1-0) will be useful for me in replacing the favourites bar.

- You can now re-add items to the left panel via View - Left Panel

Odd one.. 

When you have the main window open with the note open on the right. If the window is a little small, you cannot manage the tags. It's blank. You drag the window just enough and you get the first tag and the down arrows to add others..

At first I thought my tags were broken, until I enlarged the window slightly.. 

• Evernote Expert

I love this release :)

Yes, Reminders is there, so, now i needed to do a bit of re-organization for a while, but i was getting scared that i would ***** up reminder settings since they are not there in Windows, but in mobile devices. So, now i can do it. :)  Thanks so Much Daniel Lu and the entire Evernote team, and yeah, i just renewed my Evernote premium account. :rolleyes:

Will start working and reporting the bugs. The Skitch integration with IOS and Android is awesome, hopefully, the next beta release will have skitch integration for Windows PC and also the long awaited highlighter functionality. :)

1. No more drag'n drop? In Evernote 4 I could take per example a picture on my HDD and drag'n drop it in a note - was absolutly usefull.

2. search parameters missing: I can search "notebook:job tag:important" - but no more parameter "title:"

• Level 5*

1. No more drag'n drop? In Evernote 4 I could take per example a picture on my HDD and drag'n drop it in a note - was absolutly usefull.

2. search parameters missing: I can search "notebook:job tag:important" - but no more parameter "title:"

Hi. "title:" is not a search term in Evernote. Try "intitle:" instead. Here is a list of the search grammar -- all of it ought to work fine:

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23245321

Here is a more technical, and extensive list:

http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

Here are some of the undocumented terms:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote-help#b=ca136823-f4bd-45ef-9b71-4e942a351b16&st=p&x=search&n=d451a376-934c-4fa1-815c-cbd5ee1a7523

Add to the list "sharedate:*" -- it shows you all of the notes you have shared.

• Level 5*

@GrumpyMonkey thank you - my mistake :-) - of course, "intitle:" works

Good to hear! There have been times in the past when search features (including "intitle") didn't work correctly, so it is good to see other users keeping an eye out for search bugs.

Problem 1: Is this just me or you did pull the chromeless design in this Windows prerelease?  Need fix.

Problem 2: Is this just me or your forum doesn't support signing in with lastest Chrome dev?  Clicking sign-in just kept bringing me back to the same page.  After an entire hour of trying, I finally gave up in frustration and used IE. Need fix.

Problem 3: Because of this, I'm 1 hour late for my 10k running today. And it's all your fault. No, you can't fix this.

Welcome to the forum :)

Problem 1: Is this just me or you did pull the chromeless design in this Windows prerelease? Need fix.

They did change the way it looks:

We have also taken a bunch of feedback around the frame of the app so we are reverting back to a standard frame as well as made some design changes to accommodate it.

Problem 2: Is this just me or your forum doesn't support signing in with lastest Chrome dev? Clicking sign-in just kept bringing me back to the same page. After an entire hour of trying, I finally gave up in frustration and used IE. Need fix.

Unrelated to this thread. Could be an issue with Chrome, or perhaps a cookie issue. Should be explored elsewhere.

Problem 3: Because of this, I'm 1 hour late for my 10k running today. And it's all your fault. No, you can't fix this.

I am going to have to disagree here, It could have been left. Your choice to carry on rather than go for a run.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Confirming this as a design change is all I needed to know, case closed.

And yes, the sign-in problem is a Chrome problem, I'll deal with it elsewhere, no need for further attention here.  Honestly, all these Windows related problems (this and countless others recently) are increasingly driving me mad with increasing violent behaviors against my keyboard.  I used to be a Windows engineer and also worked at MSFT persuading developers to jump onto the Windows ship, so karma's a b**** :-).  And I finished my 10k 7 minutes before midnight in 55 min 1 sec, I'll call it a good run. Sorry for the ranting.

You guys make good software and I appreciate that.

Hi Scott,

Confirming this as a design change is all I needed to know, case closed.

Yeah, there were some issues reported in the previous version, i.e. the EN window bleeding into other monitors. So I presume this was to try and resolve those.

And yes, the sign-in problem is a Chrome problem, I'll deal with it elsewhere, no need for further attention here.  Honestly, all these Windows related problems (this and countless others recently) are increasingly driving me mad with increasing violent behaviors.  I used to be a Windows engineer and also worked at MSFT persuading developers to jump onto the Windows ship, so karma's a ***** :-).  And I finished my 10k 7 minutes before midnight in 55 min 1 sec, I'll call it a good run.

I'm sure that if you start a thread about it, then the forum admins would like to track down the issue. As someone who can't run for any real distance, I would be inclined to agree ;)

You guys make good software and I appreciate that.

They do, don't they?

Scott

• Level 5*

Well, here is what I see:

• nothing has been improved on business vs personal. It is all still commingled.
  • The scroll bar for the left column is fatter and thus easier to use. This is a good thing since mine is about 40 screens long since all of the tags my colleagues at work put in the business accounts are polluting my personal tags and there is a lot of scrolling.
  • The shortcuts still aren't available 100% of the time (scrolls off the screen) so they aren't really shortcuts if I have to scroll to get to them. I might as well scroll to the real item.
  • The note subject is still not part of the meta data of the note. Instead, it scrolls off screen.
  • The ALL CAPS MENU has been fixed.
  • When I open a note in its own window, the note subject is in the title (good) but scrolls off screen, in the note body (bad) and I cannot get to the note subject to edit it without using the mouse.
  • Note meta data isn't visible nor can you make it visible when the note is open. The creation date/time, edit date/time, and URL associated with the note aren't visible. Actually, they are for about 1 second, then the formatting toolbar takes over. Being forced to use the "I" info button is ridiculous. I edit URLs all of the time and occasionally, will mass edit creation dates on an import. I can do this in 4.x by just making tall of that visible and going through the notes quickly. Now, I'd have to hit the INFO icon every time and multiple times. Sometimes it shows up when I click the metadata area, but that is now two clicks to do this stuff, not one, and it isn't intuitive. I've already had one co-worker say she thinks the URLs are gone now.
  • It is still impossible to tell what is a business notebook and what is personal. Thankfully the note-selector in the note itself still breaks them out with the divider, as does the copy/move dialog on the right-click menu, but forget drag and drop, or going to a folder to create a note thinking you have a clue what type of notebook that is. The Notebook navigator at the top of the note list at least has some icons, but they are very hard to see. But hey, at least they are flat dull gray. That's good. I am trying to save the energy my video card uses and the 50 shades of gray is helping with that.
  • Likewise, I cannot tell what personal notebooks are shared and what aren't. That's ok. It wouldn't be too bad of my pay stub or medical records were dropped into a shared notebook.

I am not sure who 5.x is geared to, but it is really going contra-business. A complete 180 from back in Nov/Dec when there was a "these are separate, a Chinese wall" mantra. Now it is about making it impossible to see what is business and what is personal. This is, IMHO, way way worse than when list view was removed from the iPad. That saddens me. I am finding reasons not to use my favorite app.

• Level 5*

And for all that is wrong with the tags being commingled between works and business, it is just plain broken. Someone explain what this means in my tag list. I have a tag called @work.

• @work (my name) (1030)
  • @work (my name)
  • @work (my name)

The @work tag is used in both my personal and business accounts, but darned if I can tell what tag I am supposed to use, and why 1 has 1030 notes and the other 2 have none.

So glad to see Beta 2!  Nice to see continued work.

I love the idea of the keyboard shortcuts to shortcut items.

It seems to work if I click on a tag and then do the keyboard shortcut.

However if I click one shortcut, and then the keyboard shortcut for another it doesn't show the correct search.

I have to searches on the same notebook and it seems to just toggle between all notes and the search.

If I started with a search in another notebook, then it won't change the notebook and I can't tell what it is trying to search on.

Also repeating the same keyboard shortcut toggles to all notes, I don't think that is what I would expect, and isn't the behavior when clicking on the search when you are already on it (it just stays on the search)

Another topic, I like the reminder popup, but if I am not at my computer that moment I miss it.  Could evernote pop up its own window that you have to acknowledge, or when you switch to evernote show something that reminds you that a reminder event happened.

• Level 5*

I also cannot tell what is a sync'd notebook and an offline notebook. Are there any plans to bring back the icons that distinguish between business, personal online, personal offline and personal shared?

Is there any way to turn off the elephant that pops up recommending "related notes" every time you change notes/notebooks/search results/etc.? I'm not seeing anything in Tools|Preferences, but I might be missing it.

Note too I am unable to save a search "-tag:*" for just business or just personal notebooks. Just as in 4.x, I can do the search , but when I save it, it only traps the -tag:* and not that I am doing this in all business/personal notebooks.

I remember requesting this, but couldn't find it.  

Could Evernote have the option to sync faster?  15 min is a long time.  I understand not wanting to burn up monthy upload limits, but I often make a change to a note, and then walk away and expect the data to show up on my phone.  I have to remember to hit sync before I leave.  Either something like 2 min, or more like the continuous auto sync like iphone.  

Or more advanced, have a size cutoff, so it will quickly sync small changes, but items over a set limit like 300kb would wait for the longer timer.

Thanks.

Beta's are usuall 'feature finished'  and used to test these.  I am hoping that this is actually a Work in Progress (WIP).

I am still hoping for:

1. Better / more note editing capabilities.  

In particular line and paragraph spacing control (I really want to get rid of the gap between a title line and the first bulleted item

Tables are still a disaster!

Highlighting

2. The ability to save a sort order with saved searches (eg. sort by tag ascending)

3. Deeper Hierarchy for notebooks.  (I know I should use Tags for more control, but until Evernote builds its interface around making placing notes into the Tag hierarchy its focus, I want more flexibility in my notebook hierarchies)

4. The type ahead when entering Tags should always have the first item in the list pre-selected, so all you have to do is hit enter to accept it, rather than have to finish typing it, or the extra steps to select it with the down arrow or mouse

5. When I drag a note to another notebook, the focus should go to the very next note above or below where the original note was.  Now, the focus goes all the way back to the first item listed in the notebook, requiring you to scroll back down and figure out where you where working... this is inefficient

Those are my first thoughts. I like the new look and some of the handy little features, like the drop down of recent and saved searches, and the Notebook and Tag 'directory'  when you click on the top level directory.

• Level 5*

I remember requesting this, but couldn't find it.  

Could Evernote have the option to sync faster?  15 min is a long time.  I understand not wanting to burn up monthy upload limits, but I often make a change to a note, and then walk away and expect the data to show up on my phone.  I have to remember to hit sync before I leave.  Either something like 2 min, or more like the continuous auto sync like iphone.  

Or more advanced, have a size cutoff, so it will quickly sync small changes, but items over a set limit like 300kb would wait for the longer timer.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, no. I wish the Windows client worked like the iOS client. As soon as you make a change, it gets updated immediately.

This is still an issue in the latest beta:

- Inserting a tab within formatted text in a note causes the font to revert to the default font.

To Reproduce:

• Check to see what is your default font - in my case this is Tahoma 10  (Tools / Options / Note / Note Editor Font)
  • Open a note, select all text, set font to something other than the default font (Arial 14 for example)
  • Place the cursor somewhere in the middle of the note and hit <tab> and type some text
  • The new text will be in the default font - Tahoma 10.

Expected behavior is for the <tab> to NOT cause any change in formatting.

"Reverting back to a standard frame" is really a step back. I really wonder who can be against maximizing screen real estate. Guess that most people prefer to see some information on their displays instead of blank, dead space. The menu items could be easily moved to the drop down menu under the user name to maximize the display usage as in Firefox of Chrome.

Please check out the screen clip for an illustration of the wasted space: http://www.evernote.com/shard/s8/sh/453bda18-0cf4-4f66-bb78-e736f306ef42/6335098a63513e5cb346246152471f24

HI!

UI Changes are much better than beta 1. Maybe I'm missing something, but reminders are only visible in snippet view. It would be great to have the option to make reminders visible in the left panel.

Note titles still need to be fixed so they don't scroll and visible metadata info needs to be customizable so that I can decide which fields I want to see.

• Level 5*

"Reverting back to a standard frame" is really a step back. I really wonder who can be against maximizing screen real estate. Guess that most people prefer to see some information on their displays instead of blank, dead space. The menu items could be easily moved to the drop down menu under the user name to maximize the display usage as in Firefox of Chrome.

Please check out the screen clip for an illustration of the wasted space: http://www.evernote.com/shard/s8/sh/453bda18-0cf4-4f66-bb78-e736f306ef42/6335098a63513e5cb346246152471f24

I don't understand the need to cram every bit of whitespace with stuff. I am 100% for more information density, but that doesn't come from eliminating all whitespace.

HI!

UI Changes are much better than beta 1. Maybe I'm missing something, but reminders are only visible in snippet view. It would be great to have the option to make reminders visible in the left panel.

Note titles still need to be fixed so they don't scroll and visible metadata info needs to be customizable so that I can decide which fields I want to see.

Reminders should be visible in the Card view as well. As written in the first post, they do not show in the list view just yet.

Just downloaded the new beta and I like what I see. However, on my machine (Windows 7), the program frequently becomes unresponsive for periods of over fifteen or twenty seconds at a time, sometimes considerably longer. This seems to be happening every few minutes and it makes the program pretty much unusable. 

Hope this report is helpful. I'm fairly new to beta software, so if you need more information, let me know. 

Nathan 

EDIT: Not sure how consistent a pattern this will turn out to be, but for now, this behavior seems to happen especially when I have just edited a note and switched focus back to the note list. 

• Level 5*

Nathan, this is normal initially. The beta has a new database structure for its searches so it reindexes all of your notes. THis causes quite a bit of HD trashing and unresponsive behavior from the app.

Even going from beta 1 to beta 2 caused another reindex.

The more notes you have and the larger your database is, the longer this takes, Mine is 11GB and 15,000 notes, give or take, and it took well over an hour or two, and I kind of left it alone to do its thing.

Let this process finish, and then evaluate on performance.

And for future updates to the beta, if this is a big deal for you, save it for when you go to bed. It will be done when you wake up.

I Just did my first upgrade to V5. I haven't installed the first beta.

Here are some observations:

• V4 and Android version says that I have 3305 notes.  V5 says 3327.  What could lead to such a difference?
  • I have lost some stacks in the upgrade
  • Some notebook are not in the expected stack anymore, although the stack exists

Normally I have the "List view" only, and I close the left panel giving me on the left my list view and on the right the content of the note selected. Meanwhile it looks like I can only have the list view at the top and the note content at the bottom, which is not practical for me.  Also, in such view the not header that contains the information about the tags, the notebook it belongs to is so large...

oh! I have just added a "." to the end of a single line of a note and pressed the sync button... and Evernote crashed.  I have sent the log using the windows that has just pop-out.

It's nice to have reminders. I'll echo the comments of the count being +1.

Thanks for widening the scroll bars.

Any color or shading to differentiate the sections would really be welcomed.

It's just plain silly to not be able to tell the type of a notebook without right clicking for the properties window. The icons worked just fine, differentiated local, personal, shared & default notebooks at a glance.

Regards,

Gary

• Level 5*

The bug in beta one where it won't export all of my notes still exists in beta 2. I have 12,807 personal notes and this time it got stuck on 7,414. That is random, but usually about 2/3 through. Then the processor EN is on went to 100%, and EN stopped exporting. over 25GB of free HD space. The peak working set was right at 1.4GB, so it isn't the 32bit 2GB limit being hit.

• Level 5*

A couple of relatively minor things: because of a shoulder injury. I have been forced to use Dragon voice recognition software. Whichever window/panel I click on, when I say "Click Evernote" I get the drop-down box in the right panel opening up. I would like to be able to, for example, click on the left panel and then be able to select the Evernote folder. It seems the only way I can do this at the moment is to use the mouse.

Because of said injury. I am also having to use the mouse with my non-dominant hand. The "zone" for resizing the panels is very narrow, which makes it difficult to do left-handed. If this could be fixed it would make the program more "accessible."

I have some "Reminders" that showing up in my snippet view , but there is no obvious way to remove that reminder. OK, forget that I found the check mark to the left of the reminder. I just wonder when that will stopped showing up as a reminder but crossed out.

Overall, I am liking this new beta very much.

Thanks everyone for jumping in. We have a quick update for several of the Reminders issues. We're glad everyone is using them and look forward to further feedback. It is at: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.0.0.980.exe and the clients should auto-update as usual

Thanks much!

Hi dlu

I suppose only the reminders are fixed in this build, but not the business related stuff, is this correct? 

Cheers

• "Simplify formatting" function sometimes doesn't work
  • Strange behavior of note formatting toolbar while selecting text and trying to apply a different font (it disappears for some time)
  • Atlas view doesn't show anything (screenshot)

Is there a way to add shortcuts to the favorites toolbar (as it was before)?

• The scroll bar in the middle is different (old-style) from the other scroll bars (see skitch.jpg?resizeSmall&width=832

Thanks everyone for jumping in. We have a quick update for several of the Reminders issues. We're glad everyone is using them and look forward to further feedback. It is at: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.0.0.980.exe and the clients should auto-update as usual

Thanks much!

Perhaps update the first post? :P

Ok some observations:

- Note toolbar - I find it a little unintuitive that it will disappear and swap between metadata and editing options. Thankfully, there is a registry option to stop that. ;)

- I also found the "Show custom frame" registry entry so the previous window theme is not lost forever for those that really wanted it. ;)

- Reminder searches (reminderOrder:*) appear to not only search for reminders, but also return notes containing the word?

- The Reminder Count appears to be correct now, however looking at All notes I see "Add reminder to "notebook"" The notebook listed is not my default notebook so I wonder why this is showing it?

- Reminder notifications.

They show as the small popups like the sync ones, but after that there is no other notification or indication that there is a reminder. I imagine this is probably going to be added to but I was just wanting to point it out. Perhaps the activity stream? Or the tray icon changes?

Example: http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/84a816a6-bb75-439c-affa-ffbf88956787/087d720cdf98d334b8cde1b1d7f5d641

- I also found the "Show custom frame" registry entry so the previous window theme is not lost forever for those that really wanted it. ;)

Awesome find on the registry key.  I definitely prefer the no-frame option.  I wasn't sure at first, but after switching back and seeing how much space the title bar, etc takes up, I am sold.  If at all possible keep the option.  

It did seem to me that some of the complaints were oriented to divisions in the UI (ie adding color differences etc as dividers), not removing the title bar, maybe there is a compromise there.

I like the no frames, and would even go further and allow the search and Icons to fit on the top bar if possible.  I rarely use the buttons, and could probably only leave Sync and new note, and would still have room for the search, and menu.

I rarely use the menu for that matter, so if it could be shrunk down to just one menu item called menu with the others below.

These items would have to be optional for those who don't want to use them, but if the search bar and icons could be dragged up to the top bar during customization that would be awesome.

Thanks for putting the time into the Windows Client!!

Another request:

Could the sorting have a secondary choice?  Is it currently random?

IE I have a list sorted by tags, and I would like the items that have the same tag sorted by modified date.

I can't tell how they are currently sorted.   Perhaps the default could be by modified date, if there weren't a way to choose.

Also, I've noticed an issue with notes (in V5 betas 1 and 2) where dragging and dropping a .zip file into a note does not always attach the file to the note. Sometimes it works but other times I have to use the paperclip button.

Another issue I've noted is a rendering artifact when the note section expands at the bottom. I have a pic of this issue but (apparently) can't attatch it to the post.

Sorry for all of the extra posts but there also appears to be an issue in editing Skitch notes in v5 Betas 1 & 2. I can't appear to change the title of the notes which I could previously and can in my mobile Skitch app. That and when I add a new Skitch it takes a LONG time to save and for Evernote to become responsive again.

Is there a way to disable the "Related Notes" option for premium users? I've looked in the settings and the Premium panel but can't find a way to turn them off. I'd really love to turn those off.

View -> Show related notes.

Should be there if you are a free user too ;)

I Just did my first upgrade to V5. I haven't installed the first beta.

Here are some observations:

• V4 and Android version says that I have 3305 notes.  V5 says 3327.  What could lead to such a difference?
  • I have lost some stacks in the upgrade
  • Some notebook are not in the expected stack anymore, although the stack exists

Normally I have the "List view" only, and I close the left panel giving me on the left my list view and on the right the content of the note selected. Meanwhile it looks like I can only have the list view at the top and the note content at the bottom, which is not practical for me.  Also, in such view the not header that contains the information about the tags, the notebook it belongs to is so large...

oh! I have just added a "." to the end of a single line of a note and pressed the sync button... and Evernote crashed.  I have sent the log using the windows that has just pop-out.

I was hoping someone would have proposed a way to investigate the fact that there is a mismatch in the number of notes reported by V5 compared with what is reported by everything else, including the Web.

Is there a way I could generate like a list of notes titles, put them in a .txt file and compare the results between the 2 version?

I really think there needs to be a better way to report an track these issuesand a list of known issues we can look up rather than having to scroll through various forum topics.

A major which I reported in the comments to the blog announcement of beta one that is still there is the search syntax for "any tag" serches seems broken. If I do an any (or) serch it only behaves as an all (and) search.

I have screen shots of this behaviour—if EN wnant these please contact me. As a premium subscriber should I be lodging beta bugs as support requests?

• Level 5*

Aaaargh! I updated to this very latest beta version tonight and discovered that my "private" and therefore unsynchronized notebook that contained 9211 notes was now a synchronized notebook! The log file contains more than 31,000 entries after reindexing 9229 notes. I created a new unsynchronized notebook and moved all those private notes out of my "private" notebook. The support ticket number for this is #116090.

Of course, the web version is now off-line so I can't check. During this whole disaster, when I looked at the web version it did show the "private" version as being there.

A very good reason for not automatically installing the update with access to the main database!

Updated to say that the "Private" notebook is showing up on the web version, but it contains no notes (which is correct because I have them all in the new notebook that I just created). Curious that only the one notebook changed allegiance! Evernote, please bring back the colored icons for the notebooks!

• Level 5*

I really think there needs to be a better way to report an track these issuesand a list of known issues we can look up rather than having to scroll through various forum topics.

A major which I reported in the comments to the blog announcement of beta one that is still there is the search syntax for "any tag" serches seems broken. If I do an any (or) serch it only behaves as an all (and) search.

I have screen shots of this behaviour—if EN wnant these please contact me. As a premium subscriber should I be lodging beta bugs as support requests?

Absolutely agree with the need to have a separate method of reporting "bugs." It should have a good method of searching, and the EN staff should mark them as resolved, under investigation, or under consideration (for those things that they don't want to announce that they are fixing because that would be too close to revealing their road map...

Aaaargh! I updated to this very latest beta version tonight and discovered that my "private" and therefore unsynchronized notebook that contained 9211 notes was now a synchronized notebook! The log file contains more than 31,000 entries after reindexing 9229 notes. I created a new unsynchronized notebook and moved all those private notes out of my "private" notebook. The support ticket number for this is #116090.

Of course, the web version is now off-line so I can't check. During this whole disaster, when I looked at the web version it did show the "private" version as being there.

A very good reason for not automatically installing the update with access to the main database!

Updated to say that the "Private" notebook is showing up on the web version, but it contains no notes (which is correct because I have them all in the new notebook that I just created). Curious that only the one notebook changed allegiance! Evernote, please bring back the colored icons for the notebooks!

Could you PM me? I'd like to get all of your logs from Tools >> Options >> Open Log Folder

There are excellent tools out there. Bugzilla, Traq, ... you name it. I have raised this several times, I've got no idea why EN sticks to this very unprofessional behaviour. I hope they have at least some revision control in place ... (no, timemachine is NOT a revision control, and yes, I'm being provocative  ;) )

I dig it! Love the periodicity and direction of the updates to Evernote. A few comments:

1. Agree on reinstating different icons for local/synchronized/shared folders

2. Please return auto-complete when entering tags!

3. On the same note, when entering text in the tag field, a list drops down with matches, but going down with the arrow button does not always complete the name, and pressing {enter} results in a new tag with an incomplete name...

4. Previously, clicking a tag while within a notebook would show notes with said tag for the current notebook, and only double clicking the tag would bring up all tagged notes. I found this much more useful!

5. Clicking the Tags heading in the left column brings up a Tag page

- I cannot scroll to see all tags

- What is the difference between My tags and Personal tags?

6. Would also like to be able to resize the search bar, or rather allow more space for buttons on the toolbar, as only a handful fit and the rest are placed in an extra list.

Entering tags is really essential to my workflow and thus those issues weigh most!

There are excellent tools out there. Bugzilla, Traq, ... you name it. I have raised this several times, I've got no idea why EN sticks to this very unprofessional behaviour. I hope they have at least some revision control in place ... (no, timemachine is NOT a revision control, and yes, I'm being provocative  ;) )

I agree that there are much better tools, but even within the forum it could be done much better.  Make a dedicated forum for Evernote beta 2.  Then have a guide for all forum users that says, please post each individual request as its own topic.  Use a descriptive name in the title.   This way you could see the actual topics at the top level, and responses would be associated with the topic.  I think many users would follow the guidelines if they were there.

This is still happening post the update.

When clicking on the tag icon at the top right of the snippet/list window to show the tags in the selected notebook and filter, it only seems to work for my personal notebooks.  For these, I see all the tags therein.  

However, when I do this for my business notebooks (both shared and not shared), no tags show up

Is there a way to disable the "Related Notes" option for premium users? I've looked in the settings and the Premium panel but can't find a way to turn them off. I'd really love to turn those off.

View -> Show related notes.

Should be there if you are a free user too ;)

Thanks! I like the concept but I really don't use that feature.

• Level 5*

Are there plans to fix the Auto-Complete in the version 5 beta?

With EN4, you start typing a tag, the dropdown shows up with suggestions and the first is actually in the Tag bx. You can hit [enter] to accept, keep typing to narrow the list, or use the mouse to click or arrow keys to point, then press [enter] again.

With EN5, you start typing a tag, the dropdown shows up with suggestions but nothing is highlighted. If you use the arrow keys, a thin faint blue line appears around the words and you can select one and press enter, but this is extra steps, and pressing [enter] at the wrong time almost always guarantees a bogus tag will be created, which then has to be deleted.

• Level 5*

Also, autocomplete in Business notebooks is still broken if you have the same tag in both business and personal. This works fine on the web though. Why not just tie the auto-complete into the web, or use whatever logic the website uses? Anything is better than it just failing as it has since EnB was launched. I'd be ok with it not working offline. It doesn't work offline now, but would fix online usage, which I think most people are most of the time.

HI!

Reminders should be visible in the Card view as well. As written in the first post, they do not show in the list view just yet.

Strangely, reminders were not visible in Card view- only Snippet view- until I restarted my computer and resynced everything. Not sure what that was all about...

Any chance of being able to make reminders recurring?

My issues with current version:

1. I'd like to add my vote to have the Title not scroll with the note body. I'd also like the Title to stand out either by separating from the main note body as in evernote 4.x or have a different background (say a light grey). As it stands it's difficult to destinguish a title from the first line of the body text and the horizontal line looks no different than an HTML line. If the Title scrolling is a contentious issue at least give us an option or put a little thumbtack icon to the right to activate/deactivate fixed Title position.

2. I also don't like the tagging behaviour. It's also inconsistent with the web version. When typing a tag the first item in the dropdown should be automatically highlighted so I can just press enter to insert the existing tag. Having to press down means I need to move my hand from the home row then back again. This does not make for efficient typing. If I want to create a new note rather than insert the suggestion there should be an easy way to do this too: tab or delete keys, for instance.

3. I still can't select Win+Shift+V in Windows 8 as a hotkey. I realize this is pretty specific but I don't understand why that hotkey won't work and perhaps this affects others as well.

4. I don't like that the note info (created, updated, source url) overlaps with the note formatting toolbar so that it can be difficult to access or view at times. I'd prefer this to be a separte line always visible. Again, if contentious this can be collapsed with a button on the right edge.

Feature Requests:

1. I'd really like to see additional keyboard shortcuts for selecting different different panes (short/note/tag pane, notes pane, preview pane). After after clearing a search I want to return the note list to the top of the list but this requires positioning and scrolling with the mouse. If there were a keyboard shortcut I could quickly select the notes pane and then press the home key on the keyboard to get back to the top. I could also automate this with Autohotkey (my go to macro app) so I could clear the search and go to the top of the note list with a single keyboard shortcut. (Actually, is there a clear search hotkey?)

1.b a toolbar button that sould clear search and go to the top of the note list would also be nice.

2. Note editing needs lots of work. I sitll want the ability to easily add text to the top, bottom and inline to html notes clipped from the web. Currently it's exremely difficult to do so without inheriting formatting from the web clip and sometimes the cursor ends up in strange places depending on the html formatting used. It's also tricky to insert notes before and after attachments.

3. Let me resize bitmap and pdf attachments so they fit an appropriate space.

4. multiple checklist in one note and ability to sort checklists (by checked status, alphebatically, last modified)

5. Separate layout preview and notes panes from note pane type: Let me choose horizontal or vertical stacking of notes and preview pane regarless of which view is selected.

Thanks!

3. Let me resize bitmap and pdf attachments so they fit an appropriate space.

I'll second this. Not having the ability to do this has prevented me from using Evernote as much as I would like because attached documents and images don't resize in a useable way.

Thanks for reporting this. Guess this should be added to the UI as an option for users who (do not) like wasting their screen real estate

Issues I've found so far:

1. Moving tags to a stack sometimes doesn't show the tag as moved in the left pane unless I completely restart EN.
  2. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to tell a notebook's shared in the left pane (there's no icons on my notebooks). I actually have to click on a notebook to be able to see the shared icon in the Note Panel.

Requests:

1. Would still like to see tag stacks/trees in shortcuts (similar to how notebook stacks can be added, and still work like stacks).
  2. An easier way to filter notes out with tags. I absolutely love the ability to be able to click on a notebook, and then filter down to the notes I want using the Note List pane. However, there seems to be now easy way to filter out tagged-notes I don't want to see. I'm stuck with having to type/copy-paste -tag:"blah blah" each time, or make a saved search for each notebook. Instead, I'd like to be able to filter out certain tags I don't want to see using the Note List pane. Here's an example:
    • I have a notebook called Actions. Within that notebook I have a couple hundred notes with a couple dozen tags. I also have a tag called Waiting 4 Tasks, for tasks that I can't currently complete, but will be able at some specific point in time. Once I narrow my Actions notebook down with a tag called Project: Get out of debt, I'd like to only see notes that I can currently do (i.e. none that have the Waiting 4 Tasks tag).

During the last days I had some extensive testing. Feels good! - after the initial long reindexing period where Evernote was unusable.

But a few issues:

• Keyboard navigation in snippet view is broken, jumps around rather randomly
  • Switching accounts very often produces CONNECTION_STILL_OPEN errors which can only be solved by rebooting Windows

Some suggestions for improvement

• as others have stated: the new tagging behavior is very error-prone - often I create new tags I don't want
  • I can live with the two-click location adding, but removing or changing location data is tedious, often the maps link opens instead of the drop-down menu 
  • Why not change the geo-location for multiple selected notes (similar to the tagging)?
  • A toolbar button for copying the evernote url (not the sharing url) would be useful

As I geo-code a lot of notes (most of them manually in the Windows client as I am not at the respective location when creating the note): the Atlas view is great, but it would be even greater if

• you could manually refresh the view after changing notes
  • you could drag around existing geo-coded notes (probably best in a separate edit mode)
  • create new notes by right-clicking on a location on the map
  • multiple notes at a single location could have at least a preview list of what's there

Hope that helps.

I still can't log into the forum using Chrome, so it has aken me some time to post.

Deleting trash now works.

This beta seems much slower, more laggy than the first one, especially when adding tags to a note.

My issues with current version:

1. I'd like to add my vote to have the Title not scroll with the note body. (..)

(...)

4. I don't like that the note info (created, updated, source url) overlaps with the note formatting toolbar so that it can be difficult to access or view at times. I'd prefer this to be a separte line always visible. Again, if contentious this can be collapsed with a button on the right edge.

I do like the "note info button" and the fact that the note title disappear when scrolling down the note. I use a 10 inch Netbook, so more space to see note content is better.

Comments after some initial basic navigation, no real use yet: I can't tell if this has already been noted, but the scroll bars next to the left sidebar and next to the note list in snippet view lack up and down arrows at the top and bottom, at least on my installation. So there is no way to scroll down other than by dragging, which is very clumsy when you have a lot of items in a list, or by using keyboard up and down arrows, which as someone above pointed out works only inconsistently; sometimes it randomly jumps around.

And another vote for some kind of color or contrast or something to make visual navigation easier. I haven't seen the Mac UI, so I have nothing to compare this to, but does anyone think that all white and gray in the same density and virtually no demarcation between areas is truly the optimal choice for a complicated UI with many elements? Aside from the difficulty of finding thing easily and quickly, it's just visually exhausting and straining to repeatedly scan an undifferentiated mass of vaguely contrasted text trying to pick out what you need.

EDIT TO ADD: And another vote for keeping the title of the note visible when the note is scrolled; saw the comment above but just noticed it myself and realized how annoying it is to have to scroll back up if I need to see which note I'm in, or decide I want to change the note name. This is a change, right? Perhaps to accommodate smaller screens? But many of us liked it, relied on it, as it was. As someone said above perhaps this can be an option? But in any event, my vote is that the clients, unlike the mobile apps, shouldn't continue to sacrifice utility in the name of space saving, or the distinction between the two begins to become  murky. I understand I might have to give up some features on my devices; I'm far less willing to do so on my desktop.laptop.

I'm not sure if I'm just missing something, but I can't uncheck 'Show unassigned tags' ie I can't hide unassigned tags.

I mentioned this on the first beta thread.

No one responded, so I figured either it was just me or people didn't care about unresponsive menu items.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure if I'm just missing something, but I can't uncheck 'Show unassigned tags' ie I can't hide unassigned tags.

I mentioned this on the first beta thread.

No one responded, so I figured either it was just me or people didn't care about unresponsive menu items.

I am not sure what it means. I've mentioned in the first and second thread that the Export function locks up on my system and it worked flawlessly on 4.x, but not a single response to that either.

So either someone is diligently working on the fix and doesn't have time to respond to user feedback in the beta process, or they don't care.

3. I still can't select Win+Shift+V in Windows 8 as a hotkey. I realize this is pretty specific but I don't understand why that hotkey won't work and perhaps this affects others as well.

In Windows 8 that hotkey is taken by the operating system, which is why we can't assign something to it.

• Level 5*

In Windows 8 that hotkey is taken by the operating system, which is why we can't assign something to it.

Yup. Here are all of the Win8 hotkeys that I think are off limits to other apps.

I am not sure what it means. I've mentioned in the first and second thread that the Export function locks up on my system and it worked flawlessly on 4.x, but not a single response to that either.

So either someone is diligently working on the fix and doesn't have time to respond to user feedback in the beta process, or they don't care.

Not ignoring it, thanks for mentioning it though. Trying to chew through our queue

• Level 5*

Not ignoring it, thanks for mentioning it though. Trying to chew through our queue

Cool. The former then.  :D

Just installed the 2nd beta (.980) and all of my shortcuts were deleted on my Windows 8 laptop and then synced over to my Galaxy s3 where they were wiped too.  Any ideas?

Please PM me and send over activity logs. We're trying to track down this bug, we've made some adjustments but there seems to be multiple incarnations of this issue

• Level 5*

And for all that is wrong with the tags being commingled between works and business, it is just plain broken. Someone explain what this means in my tag list. I have a tag called @work.

• @work (my name) (1030)
  • @work (my name)
  • @work (my name)
The @work tag is used in both my personal and business accounts, but darned if I can tell what tag I am supposed to use, and why 1 has 1030 notes and the other 2 have none.

Ed, I've hit on this before somewhat, and you're totally right. Your scenario is the same one that I use: I have a personal Evernote account, and a separate account at work, and I share several notebooks, in both directions. I'm guessing that this is going to become a more and more common scenario as time goes on. To my mind, the only data associated with a tags is just the tag name; they ought not be distinguished just because they are from the notebook of some other account.

In my case, I have a useable tag language that I have used for my personal account; it stands to reason that I'd use a similar one for my work account. However, for any tag that exists in both accounts (e.g. "_Todo"), it cannot be used in a normal "AND" shortcut (say, one that's simply tag:_Todo) because when you activate the shortcut, the system turns it into an search that's equivalent to tag:"_Todo (jefito)" tag:"_Todo (work)" (though you can't actually express that in the search grammar), and that is an automatical fail: no search results (since I can only tag personal notes with "_Todo (jefito)" and work notes with "_Todo (work)". That search is reflected in the search info bar: you see two identical [_Todo] tag label icons, one for each context, click on the 'x' on one of them (you cannot tell them apart), and you get a single term search, which may do what you want. It's a built-in gotcha, and the underlying behavior is apparently by design.

Tag handling in this scenario is really schizophrenic, and feels pretty much half-baked. As I said, you cannot use a tag name that's available in two separate notebooks without both of them being added (in some cases invisibly, or indistinguishably) to the search, causing unexpected results. And neither can you specify a specific tag's account using the search grammar. There's just no good answer that's usable at all (and renaming tags in one account or another is not any kind of good answer; you cannot always rename tags in all accounts). This is about as annoying a problem as I've come across in awhile (even worse for me than bulleting glitches).

[Note that the above is just part of a larger problem that I've had with the Windows client in particular since business notebooks came out: the UI can do things to your note list that are not supported in the search grammar, which means that there are useful filters that you cannot replicate using the search grammar.]

Suggested rule: Tags are just names. Their only data is the name of the tag. Don't play games with them behind the scenes that you cannot address using the search grammar.

• Level 5*

Undocumented search grammar and UI behavior that cannot be replicated with the search grammar is exceedingly frustrating. One of the reasons I have my main account separated from my sharing one (pretty much the opposite of what Evernote had in mind when they mixed joined notebooks + owned + business) is because it was unworkable for me, and I barely have any organizational system to speak of, so I can see why it would cause so many headaches with other users.

In the end, I think there has to be a way to customize the separation of accounts. Some people may not mind having it all mixed together, but others (like me) are going to want a firewall between them to keep things separated, and everyone would benefit from a long-overdue update to the search grammar.

• Level 5*

In the end, I think there has to be a way to customize the separation of accounts. Some people may not mind having it all mixed together, but others (like me) are going to want a firewall between them to keep things separated, and everyone would benefit from a long-overdue update to the search grammar.

If you want things separated with respect to tags, you can do it via laborious renaming (and so long as you're in full control of your tag names), though not, as you say, via the search grammar. If you want to have a common tag language and you're in a shared notebook environment, then you're stuck: saved searches just plain don't work in the scenario above (and even some operations like selecting a tag in the UI don't work either, if I recall correctly -- I'll be checking this when I get back into work today).
  • Level 5*

If you want things separated with respect to tags, you can do it via laborious renaming (and so long as you're in full control of your tag names), though not, as you say, via the search grammar. If you want to have a common tag language and you're in a shared notebook environment, then you're stuck: saved searches just plain don't work in the scenario above (and even some operations like selecting a tag in the UI don't work either, if I recall correctly -- I'll be checking this when I get back into work today).

As you will probably recall, I was up in arms last October when we lost the ability on the Mac to see saved searches or edit them, and we did not gain the ability to distinguish between joined and owned notebooks. With dozens of joined notebooks and thousands of notes that were not "mine," it was a disaster. My solution was to leave all of my joined notebooks and take my sharing into an entirely separate account, because I could not navigate my notes. Ideally, I would like to see Evernote replicate this with the ability to say if I want access to my joined/shared notes (maybe a toggle somewhere) . This would keep me from posting private stuff in public notebooks, and it would shut off the flood of information into my second brain.

In addition, when I turn on access, there ought to be the ability to filter it all using advanced search grammar. This is critical, because the available search features are different for every device: iOS does NOT give access to joined or business notebooks in a general search, Mac forces you to have access to joined and business notebooks, and in Windows (using the UI) you can adjust whether a search will work for joined and business notes (at least, as I recall, you used to be able to do this). With all of these different search environments, having a standard language across them would be a huge help. Of course, having them all work the same would be even better :)

• Level 5*

(and even some operations like selecting a tag in the UI don't work either, if I recall correctly -- I'll be checking this when I get back into work today).

Following up on this: if you have identical tag names in a personal and any shared notebook, you get separate entries in the Tag tree in the left panel (e.g. "_Todo (jefito)", "_Todo (work)", etc.). OK, fine (I guess) -- so you can see that you have the same tag in separate accounts. However, if you click on one of these tags to filter on it, the UI automatically unhelpfully selects *all* of the identically named tags, and forms them into useless filter as noted above (acts as though you are searching on, e.g., tag:"_Todo (jefito) tag:"_Todo (work)".

My description of the result from above wasn't quite correct. The search explanation panel (noted that this UI element is only opptionally visible and may not be a feature that's going to be maintained) will result in something like the following: "Viewing <n> notes from" [All Notebooks] matching [All] of the following: tagged with [_Todo]" (it would be great if that's what the search actually was doing). In the actual UI above the note list, however, you do see the search portrayed as two identical [_Todo] tag icons, with no indication as to which one refers to which account, not even a tooltip. This is not good UI.

Image attached. Normal UI is above, search explanation panel is below.

post-49273-0-97706900-1377003349_thumb.p

• Level 5*

As you will probably recall, I was up in arms last October when we lost the ability on the Mac to see saved searches or edit them, and we did not gain the ability to distinguish between joined and owned notebooks. With dozens of joined notebooks and thousands of notes that were note "mine," it was a disaster. My solution was to leave all of my joined notebooks and take my sharing into an entirely separate account, because I could not navigate my notes. Ideally, I would like to see Evernote replicate this with the ability to say (a toggle somewhere) if I want access to my joined/shared notes. This would keep me from posting private stuff in public notebooks, and it would shut off the flood of information into my second brain. In addition, when I turn on access, there ought to be the ability to filter it all using advanced search grammar. This is critical, because the available search features are different for every device: iOS does NOT give access to joined or business notebooks in a general search, Mac forces you to have access to joined and business notebooks, and in Windows (using the UI) you can adjust whether a search will work for joined and business notes (at least, as I recall, you used to be able to do this). With all of these different search environments, having a standard language across them would be a huge help. Of course, having them all work the same would be even better :)

That is really scary that they made a change that required such drastic action on your part. This is why I am really nervous about what is happening in the blurring of lines between personal and business, and why we are putting the brakes on further implementation at work until the dust settles.  :(

• Level 5*

As you will probably recall, I was up in arms last October when we lost the ability on the Mac to see saved searches or edit them, and we did not gain the ability to distinguish between joined and owned notebooks. With dozens of joined notebooks and thousands of notes that were note "mine," it was a disaster. My solution was to leave all of my joined notebooks and take my sharing into an entirely separate account, because I could not navigate my notes. Ideally, I would like to see Evernote replicate this with the ability to say (a toggle somewhere) if I want access to my joined/shared notes. This would keep me from posting private stuff in public notebooks, and it would shut off the flood of information into my second brain. In addition, when I turn on access, there ought to be the ability to filter it all using advanced search grammar. This is critical, because the available search features are different for every device: iOS does NOT give access to joined or business notebooks in a general search, Mac forces you to have access to joined and business notebooks, and in Windows (using the UI) you can adjust whether a search will work for joined and business notes (at least, as I recall, you used to be able to do this). With all of these different search environments, having a standard language across them would be a huge help. Of course, having them all work the same would be even better :)

That is really scary that they made a change that required such drastic action on your part. This is why I am really nervous about what is happening in the blurring of lines between personal and business, and why we are putting the brakes on further implementation at work until the dust settles.  :(

It was more frustrating than scary for me, because I was actually calling for more integration of joined notebooks into our accounts, and I was expecting to see more granular control over my experience. Instead, we lost a tremendous amount of functionality that I relied upon to navigate my notes. I still cannot search effectively in my account nearly a year after the update, and it is a daily irritation. There are ways to workaround these things, so there is nothing to fear (in my opinion). Besides, it is good for cultivating patience :)

Because of these experiences (especially with search) I have jumped into various Windows threads to offer my comments on the updates, even though I am not a heavy user of Windows. My thinking is that if the Windows folks are taking design cues from the Mac experience, then they really ought to be considering the dramatic impact that seemingly small changes can have on the user experience.

I should also note that the Windows update is (in my opinion) quite an improvement for the UI, and in terms of functionality, I am extremely pleased to see that it has (as far as I can tell) not lost any functionality (as we did when the Mac version went through its upgrade). For example, you still retain the side list view, sixteen sort options (the most of any Evernote client), a fully functional sidebar with the notebook and tag icons, a customizable toolbar, and the ability to turn off incremental search. These are huge benefits to using the Windows platform, and I appreciate the fact that developers have opted to design them into the update. This didn't have to happen (as we see with the Mac version), so this is clearly a case (in my opinion) of the developers carefully listening to users and implementing suggestions.

Some of the search stuff is a bit beyond the Windows app and affects the entire Evernote service, but I think it is critical that they nail down the search issues sooner rather than later. As always (especially around this time of year) I am considering my Windows options, and I am prepared to leave the Appleverse for Windows again, so I want this app to be the best it can be in case I do it :)

When searching for Tags, EN (5b2)  doesn't serach "within" the tags.

I wouldlike to have the same beavhiour as in the IOS-version. When string to type "mo" the list should contain all tags with "mo" in them ("mom", "memo", "accommodation")

In  Win EN 5b2, it only list from the start of the tag. This happens both in the Notes-view and when tagging a new/existing note.

And add my +1 on the requests for better table handling.

I would like to have the posibility to turn cell boarders on or off and the adjust the type of line (solid, dotted etc) and adjust the cell width the way I want.

AND this must work on pasted tables as well.

Today it is close to impossible to do any editing of tables.

The first UI (beta1) was way to flat and white. Beta 2 is much better.

I know the "wrapping" is important, but please make the editing tools/possibilities better as a pri1.

A lot of us Evernote-users are using the editor to take notes, write speaches, blogs, minutes of meetings and so on, and therefor are in the need of a propper editing tool.

• Level 5*

It was more frustrating than scary for me, because I was actually calling for more integration of joined notebooks into our accounts, and I was expecting to see more granular control over my experience. Instead, we lost a tremendous amount of functionality that I relied upon to navigate my notes. I still cannot search effectively in my account nearly a year after the update, and it is a daily irritation. There are ways to workaround these things, so there is nothing to fear (in my opinion). Besides, it is good for cultivating patience :)

No, scary.

You may be frustrated by what is in personal vs shared notebooks, but as a company, we cannot have company stuff accidentally stored in personal notebooks. If that employee leaves, we lose the data!

I don't see anything zen about cultivating patience because a software product breaks your workflow. You may be ok with it, but most of our users are average people and won't think for a second to change how they do things to overcome newly introduced deficiencies. The company will just lose data.

• Level 5*

Happy to report that ENScript is no longer crashing when I use the "showNotes" command (haven't tried any others yet). Unfortunately, the results of "showNotes" suffer from the same problems with respect to multiply defined tag names whined about above. It's consistent at least. :)

• Level 5*

No, scary.

You may be frustrated by what is in personal vs shared notebooks, but as a company, we cannot have company stuff accidentally stored in personal notebooks. If that employee leaves, we lose the data!

I don't see anything zen about cultivating patience because a software product breaks your workflow. You may be ok with it, but most of our users are average people and won't think for a second to change how they do things to overcome newly introduced deficiencies. The company will just lose data.

Good point about the personal/business data. I should clarify that I have seen very few other people complain about this. Either they don't use joined/shared/business notebooks, or they are a lot smarter than me. For me, I think there was simply no choice but to split the accounts up, because it was way too easy for me to repeat the mistake of putting confidential information (my own, fortunately) into a public space. No harm done, but I learned my lesson.

As for patience, everything I do with computers requires patience, and on a spectrum going from rage-inducing to soothing, I'd say Evernote is still pretty close to the latter. It could be a lot better! But, that would require that the developers incorporate my many, many wonderful suggestions for improvement :)

• Level 5

No, scary.

Good point about the personal/business data. I should clarify that I have seen very few other people complain about this. Either they don't use joined/shared/business notebooks, or they are a lot smarter than me.

Grumpy, no, I don't think they are smarter than you. There does not appear to be many people actively using the Business version based on visible comments in the Biz forum. The program had quite a few hiccups at launch that undoubtedly kept some users away. And Evernote has been strangely silent on the actual number of Business users.

I soured rather quickly on the whole concept when I saw the co-mingling of personal tags with joined tags from other users.

• Level 5

We have a policy at Evernote to trust our employees and Evernote Business is built around that premise. We encourage the use of Business Notebooks but don't force the point. People will use business notebooks because we make it a good/seamless experience to move content freely between personal and business contexts.

Also, the UI of v5 for Windows is not final and we have some changes in the works regarding the separation of business/personal content. We definitely test our software and listen to our users. I mean... hello, my name is Jack and I work at Evernote. Glad you guys are enjoying the beta version of our new software :)

What a mess.  It is clear that the Evernote developers did not think through, and TEST, the behavior of Tags in a mixed Personal/Business environment.

Come on J :) 

Archived