(Archived) Best mac scanning SOFTWARE for big pdf's into evernote

Gang,

I need to scan piles of music into my computer. (yes my own music - no copyright issues).

Looking for best software to simplify this process.

Currently using a brother multi for flatbed scanning but would happily buy something else if faster.

Been using mac image capture but its just too many steps, especially the annoying "add another page or finish document", after every scan.

The goal is to get a lifetime of music into computer so the paper can go off to storage.

So, is there a mac scanning software app that can do 'one touch' scanning to pdf, not need to be prompted for multiple clicks between pages, and is just FAST?

Thanks so much for your input. 

• Level 5*

Gang,

I need to scan piles of music into my computer. (yes my own music - no copyright issues).

Looking for best software to simplify this process.

Currently using a brother multi for flatbed scanning but would happily buy something else if faster.

Been using mac image capture but its just too many steps, especially the annoying "add another page or finish document", after every scan.

The goal is to get a lifetime of music into computer so the paper can go off to storage.

So, is there a mac scanning software app that can do 'one touch' scanning to pdf, not need to be prompted for multiple clicks between pages, and is just FAST?

Thanks so much for your input. 

Hi. Welcome to the forums. 

If you want to scan paper into Evernote, I recommend the ix500 Fujitsu Scansnap. It can scan directly into Evernote if you would like. It is also extremely fast (25 pages per minute on the "best" setting), so I'd say it is sufficient for most regular people's needs. There are faster and "better" ones out there, but then you are talking thousands of dollars for rather bulky small-office scanners. 

Personally, my recommendation would be to scan > OCR > put into folder > title the files well > put into Evernote, but that is up to you. Here is a race for you. Put ix500 into YouTube and you can find plenty more videos.

• Level 5*

LOL. Now I see my mistake. You want software? Well, I suppose there may be incremental differences with image processing applications, but I think the slowest part of the scanning procedure is the scanning itself. The ix500 is pretty much instantaneous if you are not doing OCR on them. It scans and the page is immediately available. As soon as it finishes scanning a batch of stuff into one document (if that is how you set it up) the PDF is immediately available. 

I have used Brother scanners in the past. In fact, I got a flatbed two years ago that was made specifically for scanning books. It was light years behind the Scansnap, so I abandoned it. It's not so much Brother that is at fault there, but the flatbed model, which is almost inevitably going to be very slow. 

Hopefully, someone will have software suggestions, but in my experience, good hardware is the key.

Thanks for the replies!!

I'd love to be able to use the ix500 but I need a flatbed. (9x12's )  Wish Fujitsu made one. Bummer.

I'll look into VueScan. 

If anyone has come across a better flatbed, please drop some details about it.

I'm undertaking a massive amount of scanning. Would love to do so as fast as possible.

thanks!

Archived